Microsoft Launches Jetpack-Equipped Spartans Alongside Halo: Reach

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Launches Jetpack-Equipped Spartans Alongside Halo: Reach

Microsoft kicked off today's launch of Halo: Reach by having Spartans fly over landmarks with jetpacks.

Analysts project Halo: Reach sales to hit over $200 million in one day, and Microsoft expects it to be the "biggest game of the year." What better way to celebrate today's launch of the game than with a guy dressed as a Spartan flying around on a jetpack?

That's exactly what Microsoft put together in various spots around the world, including Trafalgar Square in the UK. Scarf-adorned Spartans were spotted guarding Trafalgar Square in a calm, serene scene that didn't seem terribly out of the ordinary, aside from the guys dressed in power armor holding giant guns. The scene was kicked up a notch when one Spartan whipped out his jetpack and went for a brief flight before landing in-between the other two Spartan guards.

The tie-in to Reach is that the latest and greatest from Bungie incorporates the new addition of jetpacks, so this wasn't just a cool PR stunt. Though it looks easy in the game, the man flying over Trafalgar Square had to make sure his armor gave him enough mobility to adequately control his real-world jetpack.

He didn't land on any children, so the flight seems to have gone just fine. The stunt was a really cool idea, but I can't imagine what people with no idea what Halo was must have been thinking. Men wearing futuristic armor, holding giant weapons, and flying through the air isn't exactly something you see every day.

Thanks for the heads up Kollega!

I don't know what I want more: the armour, or the jetpack.

This is just so... awesome.

Points for silly ingenuity! Its harmless, unlike the Resident Evil or Farmville stunts, and its just so fun! This is how publicity stunts for games should be.

Kind of cool. The modern jetpack is a little unimpressive compared to the "real" thing though. Too bad we don't have that kind of technology, because it kind of detracts from the image for him to have those handlebars.

Stupid sci-fi, spoiling me and stuff.

I live in London...and I MISSED THIS?! D:

Anyway, pretty awesome and it's fun seeing these publicity stunts in places you know :P

Crazy, but you can't accuse Microsoft of not knowing how to advertise well.

Soon we shall have REAL Spartans! LOL

On a more serious note I agree with the above statements, this is a great PR stunt that doesn't hurt anyone and is what really good marketing SHOULD be.

Haha, those spartans looked so out of place in the centre of London.

thats awsome, still not that interested in the game, but do want that jetpack... its so fun!!! <.< microsoft should start selling jetpacks!

Lord_Panzer:
I don't know what I want more: the armour, or the jetpack.

The armour, jetpack later

That's more than a little ridiculous.

But very, very cool.

The armor did look a little silly, but that was still wicked cool.

I now want a jetpack.

Tom Goldman:
Men wearing futuristic armor, holding giant weapons, and flying through the air isn't exactly something you see every day.

And that's a shame.

The suit looked awesome. The jet pack was loud as hell.

.....It wasn't a jetpack, it was a pressurized gas levitation system.

Okay, Jetpack sounds better.

They REALLY should have had all three in Jetpacks.

So what does Microsoft have left after this and Gears of War 3?

damn man that jetpack hasn't changed in appearance for decades >.<

And THATS how you do a publicity stunt am I right people.

Maybe Sony should dress somebody as Kratos and hurl him from a building or something.

A jetpack.
I repeat people: A motherfucking bonafide jetpack.

That guy was in a Spartan suit and fucking flying.
That could not be more jaw-droppingly, mindfuckingly awesome if the guy was on fire and was battling Cthulhu.

I'm not going to buy Halo: Reach, most likely. But I have to admit I want a bloody jetpack because of this.

This is more of an advert for merch than the game.

Ha, even though I'm not really a Halo fan I will admit that this is pretty awesome.

Also can I have a jetpack please. Pretty please.

poiumty:
Maybe Sony should dress somebody as Kratos and hurl him from a building or something.

No, i think they should genetically engineer a Lombax, just so they can claim they've won the contest of one-upmanship once and for all. Which of course will not hold true for long as fully-functional version of the Aperture Science Sentry Mechanical Firing Device and a working FTL drive based on the principle of mass reduction will be developed soon after.

I'd probably buy Reach because it looks pretty cool (Halo as a whole is not as bad as many people say), too bad i don't have a 360 to play it on. I also want a jetpack... but who dosen't?

By the way, guess who's awesome today.

kajinking:
Soon we shall have REAL Spartans! LOL

On a more serious note I agree with the above statements, this is a great PR stunt that doesn't hurt anyone and is what really good marketing SHOULD be.

Doubtful, first you'll need a cloning program to successfully clone humans (which means cracking the human genome). Then, you'll need high-end AI programs. Space travel beyond the Solar System with human colonization of other planets.

Now, combine all that with kidnapping 100 children replacing them with clones that are pre-diagnosed with terminal diseases that kills the clones in a short time after. Then, train the children in a top secret facility on another planet for the rest of their youth until they're adults; all the while doing medical experiments on them with physical enhancement and augmentations (of which quite a few won't survive). Then, and only then will they be placed into a mechanical suit with the aforementioned AI. However, shielding technology won't even come later until stolen from a spec off an alien species encountered later on. And that's the idea of a Spartan.

First things first, we (humanity) has to discover a new theory of physics and a way of manipulating space so that we can travel beyond Pluto within a single person's lifetime, let alone a few hours/days/years.

One can dream.

that was really cool...i honestly don't want to say more for fear that i sound like blithering 20-something yr old gamer type idiot............................oh fuck it......... OMFGHALOREACHFTWBBQSAUCE...

DO WANT JETPACK O.O

i dont know what i want more halo: reach or a bullet in the face. oh wait yes i do..... (for all you stupid quotes/sarcastic its the bullet)

I AM SO DO WANT A JETPACK!

Wow, my longing for jetpacks killed my grammar.

The landing made me laugh. I was expecting him to fall over and somebody in the audiance to yell fail at him.

That was brilliant! Hehe, one hell of a PR stunt!

holy SHIT! Jetpacks that small that can fly you that high EXIST!?

I want one!

Hopefully by the time I'm 20 they will have working exoskeletons that I can buy, customize it to look like Spartan Armour then buy a jetpack

Everyone who wants can copy my idea and we can raise a small militia to help fight wars!

ReaperzXIII:
Hopefully by the time I'm 20 they will have working exoskeletons that I can buy, customize it to look like Spartan Armour then buy a jetpack

Everyone who wants can copy my idea and we can raise a small militia to help fight wars!

Where do I sign up?

viggih7:

ReaperzXIII:

Where do I sign up?

Right here, also we take prisoners and start our 50 year research plan of contacting aliens and creating real spartans.

Not going to lie... that was pretty damn cool.

So this thread has reached the conclusion that if the escapist were to sell jetpacks, they would never need to work again, as we are all in love with them.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here