[Update] Rumor: Ninja Theory to Announce Fifth Devil May Cry

Pages 1 2 NEXT

[Update] Rumor: Ninja Theory to Announce Fifth Devil May Cry

Ninja Theory is announcing a new game at the Tokyo Game Show this week, with rumors pointing toward a new title in the Devil May Cry series.

Heavenly Sword developer Ninja Theory is known to be working on Enslaved for its October release, but the company also has another project it'll announce this week at the Tokyo Game Show. There isn't any definitive proof as to what it'll be, but most (ninja) theories are leading people to believe that a fifth Devil May Cry game is on order.

With a recent tweet, Ninja Theory wrote: "The new Ninja Theory game will be announced at Tokyo Game Show this week." This constitutes one of the only facts in this theory. Back in April, a rumor in Game Informer magazine stated that Ninja Theory was being "tapped" for the next Devil May Cry, but that isn't the only indication making a DMC reveal likely.

Ninja Theory once called its upcoming game an "unannounced game for an unannounced publisher," and wouldn't confirm or deny involvement with the DMC franchise when asked. Capcom has said that its established IPs were likely to be handed to foreign developers, and that the next Devil May Cry game will have a more "western" feel to it, implying that a developer outside of Japan would take over, such as the UK-based Ninja Theory. Ninja Theory is known for third-person action games, a genre of which Devil May Cry is a member.

Siliconera also recently noticed a Capcom trademark for "DMC," which is no doubt for a Devil May Cry-inspired title that could be a reboot. Capcom will be announcing four new titles at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which runs from September 16-19, and it wouldn't be a surprise to see Devil May Cry amongst its ranks with Devil May Cry 4 released more than two years ago in early 2008.

Does any of this mean anything concrete? Nope. "DMC" could be a trademark for a Capcom screensaver pack that features dogs, monkeys, and crochet for all we really know. However, it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots and see that Devil May Cry 5 or a series reboot is likely to be revealed within the next few days.

Update: It's true. Capcom just announced DmC, a reboot of the Devil May Cry franchise with a new main character.

Sources: VG247, Siliconera

I don't really like DMC, but if Ninja Theory is making the new sequel this series is fucking doomed.

Maybe it's a Run-D.M.C game?

It'd be about damn time.

Huh...that's actually kinda cool

If it is, I sincerely hope they don't ruin it

Tom Goldman:
...but most (ninja) theories are leading people to believe that a fifth Devil May Cry game is on order...

Well crap. I was hoping they'd make a GOOD DMC at some point.

Oh well :/

Edit: I loved DMC3.

Just here to Mr.choke a friend I told you so.
He knows who he is

Awesome I hope they do.

Along with the announcement that Nero died in a horrible car crash and the series is returning to approximately DMC3 in the timeline.

Schweet.

I hope they stop making Dante older though...he's turning into one of those weird old guys that try to be "cool". :/

thenumberthirteen:

It'd be about damn time.

Hell, I'd buy that over Devil May Cry any day.

Ninja Theory, huh? Well, one thing's for sure: this game's demo is gonna SUCK.

Erm, what's with all the hate for Ninja Theory? I thought people were really excited about Enslaved and stuff.

Why does God hate this franchise? Take DMC 3, then change the story and add stuff. Done.

thenumberthirteen:

It'd be about damn time.

D.M.C.: Taste The Chain?

...What?

I've been playing the hell out of DMC3 lately. I don't own a PS3/360 so I'm not able to play the latest, which seems to have gotten quite a lukewarm reception. So maybe Ninja Theory will be able to inject new life into the franchise. I haven't played Heavenly sword, (again no PS3, I chose to own a Wii instead, which I kinda regret) but that new Enslaved game at least looks pretty awesome, so maybe they can make a game to stand up to DMC3.

Casual Shinji:
I don't really like DMC, but if Ninja Theory is making the new sequel this series is fucking doomed.

Okay, before you can make stupidly pessimistic assertions, answer me this: did you actually play Heavenly Sword? Like at least rent the damn thing? If you* have, then feel free to vomit your hate for all to see. If not then kindly redirect your hate-vomit towards a place where stuipidity and being uniformed are acceptable practices, like Fox News.

*Yes that YOU'VE played the game, not watching Yahtzee's review of the demo, not a Metacritic score, not your best friend Steve, YOU!

Mysnomer:
Erm, what's with all the hate for Ninja Theory? I thought people were really excited about Enslaved and stuff.

Amen brother!

I hope the series doesn't reboot, I mean, as for a fifth game, make it about Sparda, Dante's father, they look the same, and you could elaborate on some backstory, plus the fans already know that the series never goes straight forward. (also, am I the only one who wants to know why Dante is always such a pussy when the new game begins, like after I beat DMC one and played 2 the first thing I thought was "I had all these weapons, and health and shit, why does he suck now? did he just lay around on his ass for the past two years?")

gregitaly:

Casual Shinji:

Okay, before you can make stupidly pessimistic assertions, answer me this: did you actually play Heavenly Sword? Like at least rent the damn thing? If you* have, then feel free to vomit your hate for all to see. If not then kindly redirect your hate-vomit towards a place where stuipidity and being uniformed are acceptable practices, like Fox News.

*Yes that YOU'VE played the game, not watching Yahtzee's review of the demo, not a Metacritic score, not your best friend Steve, YOU!

I HAVE played Heavenly Sword and will not hesitate to say that that was one of the worst 3rd person action games I have ever played. If Ninja Theory gets their hands on Devil May Cry, that franchise will be doomed.

This could go either way. That's all I have to say about this.

TOGSolid:

I HAVE played Heavenly Sword and will not hesitate to say that that was one of the worst 3rd person action games I have ever played. If Ninja Theory gets their hands on Devil May Cry, that franchise will be doomed.

Great! It's awesome to see people judging a game based off of it's developer, not it's publisher (like my stupid madden loving friends who think E.A is awesome cause it "like totally makes madden right") Or because it's an entry in a series they like (ex: Call of Duty).
So I don't agree with your opinion, but I'm glad it's your opinion.

gregitaly:
snip

Wow, I didn't think Heavenly Sword fanboys existed. U mad?

Great! It's awesome to see people judging a game based off of it's developer, not it's publisher (like my stupid madden loving friends who think E.A is awesome cause it "like totally makes madden right")

Your example, a friend giving props to the publisher, has nothing to do with your statement of "not taking into consideration publisher interference with a game." Assuming that's even what you were attempting to drive at.

Or because it's an entry in a series they like (ex: Call of Duty).

Which means I know my series inside and out, in this case Devil May Cry.

Heavenly Sword was a very bad attempt at being God of War and featured very stilted and simple combat mechanics; a lack of flow from one attack chain to the next; poorly thought out and completely random crossbow/turret shooting sections that hindered the game a lot. The characters were forgettable, the story was garbage, and the whole thing in general was just crap. Hell, you can't even jump.
You can only blame the publisher so much for a game's faults. I've played games that got rushed out the door but was able to still get a feel for what the game should have, and could have been. The only feeling I got while playing Heavenly Sword was that it was just a shit game.

DMC is a series that is the complete and polar opposite of Heavenly Sword (DMC 2 never happened, I have no idea what you're talking about). It's fluid, it's fast, it's incredibly technical once you start digging deeper into the mechanics, and while it does have its flaws, they never bring down the sheer fun of learning all the different combos and tactics available to you. So yeah, I'm worried that Ninja Theory is doing DMC 5, just as I'd be worried if the news was that the makers of God of War were doing DMC 5. Why? Because it's a completely different style of game. DMC plays like a 2d fighting game in a 3d world. GoW is more of a non-technical arcade brawler, just like Heavenly Sword.

-1/10 You're as bad at being clever as Ninja Theory is at making games.

Please lord almighty dont not let ninja theory ruin this series please

ive loved devil may cry since i was a small child just please dont ruin it please

TOGSolid:

gregitaly:
snip

Wow, I didn't think Heavenly Sword fanboys existed. U mad?

Great! It's awesome to see people judging a game based off of it's developer, not it's publisher (like my stupid madden loving friends who think E.A is awesome cause it "like totally makes madden right")

Your example, a friend giving props to the publisher, has nothing to do with your statement of "not taking into consideration publisher interference with a game." Assuming that's even what you were attempting to drive at.

Or because it's an entry in a series they like (ex: Call of Duty).

Which means I know my series inside and out, in this case Devil May Cry.

Heavenly Sword was a very bad attempt at being God of War and featured very stilted and simple combat mechanics; a lack of flow from one attack chain to the next; poorly thought out and completely random crossbow/turret shooting sections that hindered the game a lot. The characters were forgettable, the story was garbage, and the whole thing in general was just crap. Hell, you can't even jump.
You can only blame the publisher so much for a game's faults. I've played games that got rushed out the door but was able to still get a feel for what the game should have, and could have been. The only feeling I got while playing Heavenly Sword was that it was just a shit game.

DMC is a series that is the complete and polar opposite of Heavenly Sword (DMC 2 never happened, I have no idea what you're talking about). It's fluid, it's fast, it's incredibly technical once you start digging deeper into the mechanics, and while it does have its flaws, they never bring down the sheer fun of learning all the different combos and tactics available to you. So yeah, I'm worried that Ninja Theory is doing DMC 5, just as I'd be worried if the news was that the makers of God of War were doing DMC 5. Why? Because it's a completely different style of game. DMC plays like a 2d fighting game in a 3d world. GoW is more of a non-technical arcade brawler, just like Heavenly Sword.

-1/10 You're as bad at being clever as Ninja Theory is at making games.

Take it easy compadre! I didn't mean to offend you, I was actually praising you, praising the fact that you were judging an upcoming game based off your experience with a developers previous work. Like determining whether or not a upcoming book will be good because of the author. In my experience, most people don't even know the difference between a video game developer or a publisher (like my friends with E.A.) So if you could please not prematurely spit hate at me, I'd be much appreciated.
(Oh yeah, that last little sentence at the end was cheesy I thought, but I was to lazy to delete it though. -2/10 for laziness.)

VincentX3:
He knows who he is

At least it was given to Ninja Theory. I quite enjoyed Heavenly Sword a LOT. It was a great game for being one of the first PS3 games. I still enjoy it to this day. I am definitely watching Tokyo Game Show.

blakfayt:
I hope the series doesn't reboot, I mean, as for a fifth game, make it about Sparda, Dante's father, they look the same, and you could elaborate on some backstory, plus the fans already know that the series never goes straight forward. (also, am I the only one who wants to know why Dante is always such a pussy when the new game begins, like after I beat DMC one and played 2 the first thing I thought was "I had all these weapons, and health and shit, why does he suck now? did he just lay around on his ass for the past two years?")

It shows his old weapons and stuff in his office, actually. Maybe he just likes going out with the Rebellion and twin pistols only, and just drags the other crap along for fun. Plus, it is a game. If it was real, he would still be as powerful, hell, he gets stronger in each game. But he is very nonchalant about his fights, thus all the taunting. He's only ever tried against final bosses. Though, in DMC4, he never got a final boss... which is complete bullshit. Nero stole the show, and as much as I love Johnny Young Bosch, I am quite saddened.

Josh Kurber:

VincentX3:
He knows who he is

At least it was given to Ninja Theory. I quite enjoyed Heavenly Sword a LOT. It was a great game for being one of the first PS3 games. I still enjoy it to this day. I am definitely watching Tokyo Game Show.

Wasn't Heavenly sword basicly God of War with tits?
Mmm...I don't know about Ninja Theory, they we're doing a good job with DMC3\4 with the other developers.

Oh well, all we can do is wait.

VincentX3:

Josh Kurber:

VincentX3:
He knows who he is

Wasn't Heavenly sword basicly God of War with tits?
Mmm...I don't know about Ninja Theory, they we're doing a good job with DMC3\4 with the other developers.

Oh well, all we can do is wait.

It was, but I rarely pay attention to gameplay unless it is really horrible (i.e. WET, Ninety Nine Nights, Inferno). The story, though, I enjoyed greatly. It wasn't bad and was easy to get into, for me.

Well, here's to hoping it's good (not that I have any misgivings at the moment. I don't do that)

DMC3 was my favorite. 4 suffered partly because of Nero, and not because of him storywise. It was because he had all of the same flaws as Vergil when he was playable. They don't have as much variety as Dante. Vergil fared better than Nero because he had 3 weapons, but Force Edge's moves crossed over with Yamato a little and Rebellion Dante a lot. Beowulf also crossed over with Dante slightly as well, seeing as how they both used it. Dante also loses variety in his weapons as well when 4 rolled around.

DMC3 Dante has 5 melee and 5 guns, all of them significantly different. The style system was revolutionary, and some weapons got massive boosts in usefulness when used with certain styles. DMC4 Dante, on the other hand, has 3 guns, 3 melee, and Yamato. Rebellion is standard, E&I are standard, the shotgun is standard, and a gauntlet weapon returns.

The new charge system for the gauntlets were interesting, but ended up as fairly worthless since the charge time was so ungodly long. Lucifer is a nice weapon, but extremely unorthodox and its good attacks lack hitstun until you reach the maximum amount of darts and the old ones start popping. The Swordmaster attacks were also pretty lackluster. Pandora was also a good weapon, but had wasted potential. The boomerang attack was worthless compared to the missile platform (more damage, splash damage, you're not stuck on the ground). You couldn't move for a lot of the attacks and the air attack is almost no different from using E&I. The on the fly style changing was also a nice add, but the weapons themselves were too mediocre and took away from the new system's impact. DMC3 Dante would have had much more benefit from the system. His Sword and Gunslinger attacks were much more unique.

If they do make a 5th just stick to Dante that way they can focus more on his moves, graphics etc. Nero wasn't all that interesting and Dante's segments of DMC4 were my favorite. Especially his suitcase weapon.

As long as the manual creeps me out by saying the main character has 'Rock Star good looks' just like the first one.

Ah the memories~

I'm a HUGE fan of DMC. I loved the first one the best, and then three, and four, with last being two (of course.) I do want the series to return to it's darker and more horror filled roots. I mean, Dante just seemed like he was having a holiday in DMC 4. But still, I'm a fan of the series and I was kind of excited about where it was gonna go next.

I don't really know how I feel about it being given to another developer like this. One of the appeals of DMC to me was it's not so much "western" feel. It felt like one of the old games back in the days of Japan's reign and I enjoyed it for being very different. However, I'll be really irritated if they end up making a reboot of the series. There is NO reason to reboot the franchise. It'd be very easy to revive any character you wanted and continue on and make the next game just as good as the first one. But oh well, reboots are in now, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Sweeeet! Wouldnt mind some more Dante action...as long as it stuck to only Dante though ><

Ninja Theory did pretty well with the combat in Heavenly Sword, it was fast and well paced most of the time, the bosses all had their gimmicks that made them difficult sometimes.
Who knows, it might be good? if they can at least pull off a competent combat system and a half decent story(story has never been a selling point on DMC for me) to follow it, it could very well be a good game.

I really hope that they wont fuck this up. And why make it more "western"? I think it is good as it is. But i do hope they will add more weapons and not add the damn backtracking.

heres what they need to do, change Dante to how he was in the first game. you know, not a pretentious douchebag

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here