Sony: We Are an Innovative Company

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sony: We Are an Innovative Company

Peter Dille, the man in charge of SCEA's marketing, says that Sony isn't a "me too" kind of company, and that it has broken new ground over and over again.

Last week was the fifteenth anniversary of the PlayStation's release in the U.S., and looking back over the last decade and a half, Dille says that Sony has constantly come up with fresh ideas to implement in its consoles.

"I was here in '95 so I remember what it was like," Dille said. "I've always regarded Sony as an innovator; it's not a 'me too' company." He cites the introduction of CD-ROM, DVD and Blu-Ray into gaming consoles, and technologies like the EyeToy, PlayStation Home, and PlayStation Move as examples of how Sony had broken new ground. He added that it was gratifying that Sony's innovation wasn't just limited to a single area, but spanned the range of console and software development.

While it's undeniable that Sony has done some pretty special things for consoles, Dille's examples leave a little something to be desired. Whether it's the Sega CD and TurboGrafx-16 using CD-ROMs years before the PlayStation, or Move using the same template that the Wii used for its controller, his list needs a few qualifiers to be completely accurate.

Source: Industry Gamers

Strokin' that company ego, I see.

I wouldn't say innovative, more like improving. Or trying to.

Sometimes, company guys should think before speaking stuffs out loud.

So Sony is essentially saying this..

Isn't simply a tricked out version of this..

I sense shenanigans.

Well, they're trying at least. And even succeed every now and then. Which is certainly more than what Microsoft and/or Nintendo can hope for.

ha! i can't believe that he said the Move was innovative with a straight face.

FargoDog:
-Snip-

I second that motion.

I can't see how Move is innovative... Unless it's a combined controller/beer dispenser.

Now that's innovation.

There's something about this generation where all three companies are in some kind of shit. Microsoft has few exclusive titles, Nintendo struggles to push any software that isn't churned out by them, and Sony.. is the underdog.

Like some kind of mirror universe, Star Trek style.

FargoDog:

I sense shenanigans.

I see what you did there, you crafty bastard you...

But just because they got there FIRST doens't mean they did their best. I have honestly never seen a SINGLE person use the Eye Toy.

And Playstation home isn't a simply more "Realistic"* sense of the Mii?

*Realistic because the Miis are tiny, creepy cartoon characters

... really?

Sony, I love ya, but you are far from innovative. You take the competitors ideas all the time and make them into your own; not only in the gaming market either. Theres nothing wrong with that, if you can take something and refine it, go ahead and do it. But don't claim to be pioneers. You have helped introduce a lot of nifty things to the general public, but most of those ideas weren't even yours to begin with.

Not all innovation is good either. Look at BluRay; while it is disputeable, I still stick firmly with my opinion that it is inferior to DVD. It holds more data, yes, but its also extremely slow. Having to download games to your hard-drive is a bit of a QQ, but ends up being a deciding factor in my "which console should I get it for?" decision making. Work should be done on making DVD formats better, or something that can hold larger ammounts of data then BluRay; BluRay is just a waste of time, money, and energy to Sony and the consumers.

Also, for my final point... *points at PlayStation Move*

One of your lead executives compared it to the Wii, as well as EVERYONE who has played a demo on it.

I love ya Sony, and you have made some GREAT products... But you're not that innovative. No more so then any other company out there.

Yea... you have to love when people don't care about telling the truth as long as they're making a company look better. Hell, I'd say that the Move was innovative and interesting if they paid me.

Get your brooms, people!

Stealing ideas from Nintendo before Microsoft did doesn't make you innovative. =/

A while ago I watched a video from MovieBob's gaming blog "The game overthinker" where he analizes Sony's big succeses in the console market arguing that their biggest advantage in the last two generations lied in their oppononents mistakes, rather than their capacity for innovation.
Bob is kind of too nintendo-infatuated for his own good but the video itself is very well done. I encourage you to watch it.

Okay, in turns of CD, DVD and Blu-Ray, yeah, I'll give them that.

But as far as the other three go, those aren't innovative at all, they just ripped off other companies' creations.

Kapol:
Yea... you have to love when people don't care about telling the truth as long as their making a company look better. Hell, I'd say that the Move was innovative and interesting if they paid me.

I'd prefer it were true, but being paid to say it sounds more likely.

I thought abou this actually. The only thing sony has bought to the console market is the ability to play dvds on games consoles.

Why is every single press statement Sony makes full of laughable horseshit? It's getting seriously crazy at this point.

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:
Well, they're trying at least. And even succeed every now and then. Which is certainly more than what Microsoft and/or Nintendo can hope for.

Are you saying that Nintendo hasn't suceeded in their innovation?
What about:

Shoulder buttons,
Analogue sticks,
Vibration in controllers,
Motion controls.

All of these devices (apart from the recent motion control) have been commonplace within gaming and are now standard.

Look at your controller of choice and think that without Nintendo half of those features wouldn't be there

They say that when they've had the same horrible and retarded Controllers since day1? YepYep.

Their controllers is the only reason I own a 360 and not a Ps3 <,<

Aedes:
I wouldn't say innovative, more like improving. Or trying to.

Sometimes, company guys should think before speaking stuffs out loud.

Lets go with that :D

introduction of CD-ROM, DVD and Blu-Ray into gaming consoles.

Cd-ROMs? okay you can have that, but just remember that your only competitor was Nintendo and they are not keen on advance technology.

DVDs? eh, it was foreseen even by the most dumbest technology experts and corporate money grabber.

now, Blue-Ray!?!?! Ha! it's a failure in terms of getting the technology mainstream (for gaming), it wastes so much space and cost far more than regular DVDs, discs are futile since the introduction of internal Hard drives.

Michailov:
They say that when they've had the same horrible and retarded Controllers since day1? YepYep.

That makes load of sense. Read what you've typed before you post.

Prediction: This thread fills up with console fanboys quicker than a Lara Croft strip show...

Riku'sTwilight:

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:

Are you saying that Nintendo hasn't suceeded in their innovation?
What about:

Shoulder buttons,
Analogue sticks,
Vibration in controllers,
Motion controls.

All of these devices (apart from the recent motion control) have been commonplace within gaming and are now standard.

Look at your controller of choice and think that without Nintendo half of those features wouldn't be there

Perhaps in the past, but they don't seem to have the same motivation these days.

Granted, they've tested new ground (PS1 first real console to use a CD, I think, and they've got the most powerful graphics card in their PS3 console in comparison to every other console) but to say that all the new ground has been good isn't exactly true. I can't honestly say the Eye-Toy was a hit and I can't really say Playstation Home is the type of thing I'd like to see in the future. I also don't understand them claiming themselves as a totally innovative company despite practically stealing the idea for their motion control from Nintendo.

I will also admit that Playstation 3, despite being a power-house, just doesn't work properly sometimes. I'm not sure if it's to do with the Playstation 3 or the developers, but frame lag doesn't happen for no reason. It's also the type of thing that can make or break a game on the PS3. After all, I'd rather get the X-Box 360 version with no frame lag than the PS3 one that does.

FluxCapacitor:
A Lara Croft strip show...

Now that's a new and fresh idea, don't give it to sony though, it might go to their heads.

I'm terribly sorry for the following:

Sony are very good at breaking new ground! They do so every time someone drops a PS3!

Well hmmm. You could say the Move isn't innovative because of the Wii, but then again there is the Eye toy which was the first successful motion controller anyway's. So you could call it even...

Although I will agree that Blu-ray is the best thing in Gaming at the moment. The unsung hero of data storage letting the PS3 put larger games onto the system without need to flowbreaking disc changing

Michailov:

Funny. The only reason I own a PS3 is because of the shitty X360 controller.

mad825:

now, Blue-Ray!?!?! Ha! it's a failure in terms of getting the technology mainstream, it wastes so much space and cost far more than regular DVDs, discs are futile since the introduction of internal Hard drives.

There's a lot wrong with this sentence (not counting the fact that it's a run-on sentence). Blu-Ray doesn't "waste" space. People who don't utilize them waste space. It's also more expensive than DVDs because it's newer and holds more stuff. Lastly, I love how you see discs as unnecessary with the invention of internal hard drives since internal hard drives are older than discs.

Back to topic: Sony has the occasional flashes of brilliance, but on average it innovates no more than your average huge multi-national corporation (which means, not a whole lot). So yeah, they're bullshitting people.

People point to the Move and say it's copying the Wii and people point to Kinect and say it's copying the EyeToy...

FargoDog:

I sense shenanigans.

But you don't point out that this...

isn't just a copy of this...

or vice versa. Gaming strives on copying one another.

I think we just need to start focusing on virtual reality.

ProfessorLayton:
Snip.

No.. but Microsoft hasn't made an announcement claiming their 360 controller is incredibly innovative.

...Yet.

Wrong, and WRONG.

I'll go in order.

CD-ROM: SEGA CD 1991
DVD: 3DO 1993
Blu-Ray they get only because they're bandwagon jumpers who got paid atrocious amounts of money to use it.
EYE-Toy: The entire 1970's.
PSHome: Just a 3D version of Battle.net which I was chilling in for eons before the PS3 was even a developers wet dream and Sega had in the Dreamcast (again w/o the 3D thing, but shut up, its a gimmick).
PS Move: What? Seriously? I don't even need to comment.

Think I'm wrong? Just do the research Sony. The only thing you're good at is sucking at the cock of old technologies or getting reamed with new ones that just happen to work out in your favor. Your dumb luck won't last forever.

FargoDog:
No.. but Microsoft hasn't made an announcement claiming their 360 controller is incredibly innovative.

...Yet.

Knowing Microsoft they would probably claim that the 360 controller was the first of its kind because it had that center button that you could actually press so that's what made it new.

in·no·vate
   /ˈɪnəˌveɪt/ Show Spelled [in-uh-veyt] Show IPA verb, -vat·ed, -vat·ing.
-verb (used without object)
to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.
-verb (used with object)
to introduce (something new) for or as if for the first time: to innovate a computer operating system.
Archaic . to alter.

1) Move is an innovation on the PS2's Eyetoy.
2) Blu Ray's an innovation in storage capacity (whether you agree with it's uses thus far, is irrelevant, you don't get to decide what constitutes innovative or not)
3) Home is an innovation on SoE's Second Life
4) The Cell Processor is an innovation on microprocessor technology

People trip over themselves to denounce Sony when they try to talk about their position in the industry. Seems kind of childish and stupid. Don't we _want_ companies taking risks and going in a new direction? Core gamer fanboy's may stomp all over Nintendo for their transgressions, but the fact is the Wii was an innovation (on pre-existing Motion Control tech, that arguably started with other companies), took things in a new direction and was successful.

Personally, I agree, Sony's broken allot of new ground since entering the video games industry. And for the better, imo.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here