Valykria Chronicles Shunning Consoles for Third Entry

Valykria Chronicles Shunning Consoles for Third Entry

Valkyria Chronicles 3 has been officially revealed, but hopefully fans want another handheld version.

Rumors began to swirl that Sega had a new Valkyria Chronicles game in the works when a teaser website popped up and a slip-up led to an almost confirmed reveal at the Tokyo Game Show. Thanks to Famitsu magazine, we don't have to wait until Sega's announcement to know that the game is real.

Which is a great thing for tactical strategy fans, but not for those that only enjoyed the first game in the series on the PlayStation 3. Famitsu revealed that Valkyria Chronicles 3 will be following in the sequel's footsteps and will only be released for the PSP.

For the original supporters of Valkyria Chronicles that hoped Sega was working on Valkyria Chronicles 2 in the interim while it pumped out a new HD version of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for the PS3, your hopes have been dashed. It's great that the series will continue to be extended, but I think many of us were looking forward to another version on consoles.

Sega might not see another console-bound Valkyria Chronicles as something that will be profitable enough, as series producer Shinji Motoyama says that a short development time was the reason the series is sticking to handhelds for now, and that Sega needs an "innovative idea" to keep it going on the PS3 so it will "stand out." Valkyria Chronicles 3 focuses on a "Nameless" squad of delinquent military members. It's surprisingly scheduled for January 27, 2011 in Japan, less than a year after the previous title's release.

Source: Siliconera

The only thing I can think about is that picture
But that's meh, not really a Chronicles fan, good for anyone who is I guess.

With the PSP being the only system I don't own so far, this is sad news indeed. Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favorite games on the PS3. It is one of those shining gems of a game that is just a beautifully made title and very fun to play.

Come on Sega! Bring it back to PS3!

Bah... too bad you didn't mention the story is happening during Valk 1, in Gallia, and better yet not only are you a bunch of outcasts, but super-powered ones at that. And this whole time, no one in Gallia heard about them, and the Empire never bothered sending Selvaria after them...

I'm skipping this game til it hits the bargain bin price, I loved the first game, bought the second in hopes that better sales might prompt a PS3 game, but get this instead. I wonder how the Canvas engine is going to smell, it must be rotting by now...

God damn it...

I'm just getting into the first one on PS3. And it is awesome. How did this not sweep RPG of the Year awards when it came out?

Now I may actually have to go and and buy a PSP...2 new VC games. TWO!

This is really really really bad news actually.

Graphical the game will always leave me wanting the original style and scope. Instead ever other games will now be cliche anime highschool tripe from now on no doubt.

I loved these games, please come back to the ps3 i want to see you in full glory and in full hd

Saw this yesterday, sucks for PS3 fans. It seems VCs new home platform is the PSP for now, but upon retrospect I really am not surprised. The first game, while garnering critical praise, wasn't much of a commercial success over here either due to poor marketing or lack of mass interest.

Thus it's not surprising after that "failure" they decided to move it to the portables thus cutting initial expenses, development time, and allowing it to sell even more. Say what you will about the PSP, it's still hugely popular in Japan and thus moving over to the portables was actually a smart move.

Still a big disappointment for those who were hoping for another console game but the sales spoke for themselves. I'll be picking up VC2 after I'm done with Kingdom hearts so I look forward to this.

This saddens me though, as VC2 signifigantly dumbed down the originals story, adding the Anime Highschool Trope. Not that VC1 didn't have it's silly anime tropes, but still..

It was a goddamn war.

Never the less, if this game has a better story and setup then VC2... Well, i'm hoping for somethin in the vein of The Dirty Dozen from what they've said, but somehow I doubt we'll get anything nearly that awesome.

This sucks. I hate handhelds, and I have no intention of getting one.

Onyx Oblivion:
God damn it...

I'm just getting into the first one on PS3. And it is awesome. How did this not sweep RPG of the Year awards when it came out?
!

Yea, it's probably my favorite ps3 exclusive. But I think all the RPG awards that year went to Fallout 3 and even though I love VC and it's certainly more original (gameplay wise), F3 deserved it more.

cursedseishi:
I loved the first game, bought the second in hopes that better sales might prompt a PS3 game, but get this instead.

I try to never buy a game to make a statement but I hope VC2 is worth more than that. I haven't tried it yet, the rental is on it's way. I now get the feeling that I should maybe wait (to purchase) for some sort of goty thing with news of the dlc and now the sequel coming out in another few months.

After trying the demo for psp, I think this franchise might actually be better served on the handheld which is where you want a good turn based strategy game: you can pick up and put down, each battle takes a good segment of time (your commute if you're lucky), and the art style still looks great on the small screen.

VC is much better on PSP, imo, so this is good news.

Yes, I've played both.

NOOOOO!!! It plays so much better on the PS3! It's so much bigger and prettier on the big black monster!

GonzoGamer:
[
I try to never buy a game to make a statement but I hope VC2 is worth more than that. I haven't tried it yet, the rental is on it's way. I now get the feeling that I should maybe wait (to purchase) for some sort of goty thing with news of the dlc and now the sequel coming out in another few months.

After trying the demo for psp, I think this franchise might actually be better served on the handheld which is where you want a good turn based strategy game: you can pick up and put down, each battle takes a good segment of time (your commute if you're lucky), and the art style still looks great on the small screen.

Oh don't get me wrong, that was definitely not the sole reason I got it, but considering their excuse for VC2 was that they wanted to open the series up to a wider audience, it was also implied that stronger sales would lead to a ps3 sequel as well.

The game is fun, there is definitely some big steps forwards gameplay wise, but the models are rather weak (as some pointed out elsewhere even midget characters would have the same model as a giant if they were in the game), and this generic anime-style being used is... bland at best, and insulting at its worse.

One of the biggest points they stressed with Valk 1 was the graphics engine behind the game, which made it one of the most graphically beautiful on the PS3 (or in general). And its a damn shame that the engine is pretty much left to rot now.

I wouldnt care which version I got as long as I got another helping - Fantastic series!

Heh, it seems my love for this series will slowly fade because i don't think ill be owning a psp anytime soon =/

Waiting for Sega to say that if we ever want this series on console again, we had better buy two copies each of the PSP games. Unless they already have, in which case, the answer is still no, guys.

cursedseishi:

GonzoGamer:
[

Oh don't get me wrong, that was definitely not the sole reason I got it, but considering their excuse for VC2 was that they wanted to open the series up to a wider audience, it was also implied that stronger sales would lead to a ps3 sequel as well.

The game is fun, there is definitely some big steps forwards gameplay wise, but the models are rather weak (as some pointed out elsewhere even midget characters would have the same model as a giant if they were in the game), and this generic anime-style being used is... bland at best, and insulting at its worse.

One of the biggest points they stressed with Valk 1 was the graphics engine behind the game, which made it one of the most graphically beautiful on the PS3 (or in general). And its a damn shame that the engine is pretty much left to rot now.

I'm in total agreement with you there. VC1 definitely has some of the most stunning graphics anywhere and I thought because of it's (kind of) 2d style it would translate well to the psp. Yea it's just not the same. It still looks better than most psp games but the style doesn't translate as well as I thought it would.

Are there midgets in VC2 or did I completely misunderstand you there? It would make sense to stuff midgets in those cute little tanks they got.

VC didn't sell very well and was expensive to make. VC2 is selling better and cheaper to make. A real no-brainer as to which direction SEGA should be going, and since they need to make money to make more Valkryia, I support it.

Most of the fanboys complaints with it not returning to the PS3 is that they feel that VC2's story was not as good. It's true that VC2 borrows largely from Persona (emulating something else that worked well) but they don't seem to quite get that the STORY is NOT LIMITED by the HARDWARE. There's no reason VC3 can't be "darker and edgier" - whatever that means.

I've already clocked 50hrs on VC2 and while the story isn't exactly award-winning, the game itself holds up really well on the PSP. I have no complaints with SEGA's choice of console.

GonzoGamer:
I'm in total agreement with you there. VC1 definitely has some of the most stunning graphics anywhere and I thought because of it's (kind of) 2d style it would translate well to the psp. Yea it's just not the same. It still looks better than most psp games but the style doesn't translate as well as I thought it would.

Are there midgets in VC2 or did I completely misunderstand you there? It would make sense to stuff midgets in those cute little tanks they got.

Well, in Valk 1 the shortest character was Aisha:
http://img98.animecharactersdatabase.com:81/images/2054/Aisha_Nooman.png
12 yr old shock trooper, and in Valk 1 she was actually around the size of a normal 12yr old. Valk 2 though, normalized the sizes of the models so everyone is the same height. Its a rather minor change I'll admit, but its not exactly one that was warranted.

Metaphor:

Most of the fanboys complaints with it not returning to the PS3 is that they feel that VC2's story was not as good. It's true that VC2 borrows largely from Persona (emulating something else that worked well) but they don't seem to quite get that the STORY is NOT LIMITED by the HARDWARE. There's no reason VC3 can't be "darker and edgier" - whatever that means.

You know generalization is bad right? I'm one of those "fanboys" I guess, but at the same time I haven't seen anyone blaming the PSP for the weak story of VC2, and assuming as much is rather well... mentally deficient of you for claiming thats our reason, and/or them for using such a reason in the first place.

NOW you can blame Sega for going for the teen audience in Japan with the general tone of the story, then again even the Japanese audience for the game is hating the fact that Valk 3 is on psp still.

cursedseishi:

You know generalization is bad right? I'm one of those "fanboys" I guess, but at the same time I haven't seen anyone blaming the PSP for the weak story of VC2, and assuming as much is rather well... mentally deficient of you for claiming thats our reason, and/or them for using such a reason in the first place.

NOW you can blame Sega for going for the teen audience in Japan with the general tone of the story, then again even the Japanese audience for the game is hating the fact that Valk 3 is on psp still.

Oh I see. Let me change my point slightly - most of the comments that /I've seen/ against VC2 have to do with the weak story. We must browse different sites.
It's stemming from the idea that VC3 will be the same as VC2 /because/ it's on the PSP. Which could be largely untrue, seeing as how we don't even know much about it yet to make that kind of informed opinion.

Other than not seeing Canvas HD for a while longer, we haven't exactly "lost" anything by not having Valkyria return to PS3. Quicker production times I'm all for.

I could blame SEGA for going for the teen audience, but I won't, because it SELLS. And selling is the most important thing SEGA has to worry about. You wanted more games like VC1? It's a shame that game didn't receive as much support. That ship has sailed. One day, when enough money has been recuperated through the PSP sales, and the fanbase has become substantially larger, then we will see a return.

ugh. I have a psp and I'd still rather pay an extra 20-30$ to play this on the ps3 - even if the graphics were still only of psp quality.

rockyoumonkeys:
This sucks. I hate handhelds, and I have no intention of getting one.

Exactly - why do people keep making sequels/prequels to console games on handhelds. Do they just assume that everyone has one? Surely the target audience for a sequel would be those who enjoyed the original? So why release it on a different system when there's no guarantee that people will own both? I've owned and enjoyed all 3 playstations but I have no interest whatsoever in the PSP short of it stealing all my bloody sequels!

Old sweaty balls to you, Sega. Now I'm not going to own 2/3 of the series.

I saw the trailer... I was underwhelmed. It looks like they're trying to shoe horn in a bunch of events taking place during the same time as the first game.

Thinking it over though it might work; as long as it turns out that you're not playing a Gallian.

I fucking hate it when sequels from consoles get shoved onto handhelds. I hate using the handheld unless i have to for its awkward fiddly controls and small screen. And there's no way in hell i'm going to buy a portable game just to continue the series, no matter how much i loved the original. Sega can fuck right off, i didn't get the second VC game because it was on PSP and i'm not getting the third. Not unless it comes out on the PS3 as well in some shape or form.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here