Activision Declines Use of In-Game Ads Out of "Respect"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Activision Declines Use of In-Game Ads Out of "Respect"

Activision's apparent new stance on in-game advertisements is that they aren't necessary.

Just when evidence had come out indicating that in-game advertisements have a positive effect on consumer spending, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has indicated a reluctance to use them at all. In comments made at a media conference today, Kotick stated that in-game ads are disrespectful to his customers.

Despite a perception by some that Kotick is all about profit, he alleges that Activision is not focused on making that profit through in-game ads. "There was a time where we thought advertising and sponsorship was a big opportunity, but what we realized is our customers are paying $60 for a game or paying a monthly subscription fee and they don't really want to be barraged with sponsorship or advertising," Kotick said. "So being very respectful of our audiences, unless it's something that's really authentic and will enhance the game experience, we're generally not going to include something in the game."

"There may be future opportunities where you might offer a consumer an advertiser-supported experience so they wouldn't have to pay for it," he continued. "But as long as our audience is paying $60 for a game or a subscription fee I think we're going to limit the amount of advertising or sponsorship incorporated into a game."

This could go a long way for Kotick's image in the eyes of gamers. In-game advertising makes sense in certain titles, like Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero that use real-world products. On the other hand, it really can be strange when you're questing through a game like Diablo III and you see a Pepsi can monster that shakes himself up and fizzes on you as an attack. Thankfully, Activison has no plans to implement such a thing.

Source: IGN

Snake drinks the best soda ever made.

*ahem*

This is a very good thing for Activision to be doing. I for one, hate seeing in-game advertisements. Good for them, and I can't believe these words are coming out of my mouth, but....good for.....Bobby.....Kotick?

*gasp*

The end is upon us!

Selective assholism is still assholism guys, except now it's also manipulative.

Since when does Bobby Kotick care about what gamers thought of his products? I thought his usual stance was "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how much money I have."

You want to see annoying and prevalent in game ads, check out Blur...or really most racing titles. Made by...oh, that's right.

Otherwise a fantastic game though.

The Amazing Tea Alligator:

You know what? This is pretty good, spot on.

Why do I really want to call "bulls**t" on this?

... Well, its nice to see activision's PR department actually doing it's job, but this is crap.

They're likely opting out of ads because they can't get enough money for them and the interested parties are making too many demands (can't be destructible, no decals, must guarantee x amount of screen time, etc). Their development houses are likely, also saying, "Uh, no?"

As far as activision's reputation... its not like all other corporations operate in any other way.

Nice to see that the last, best hope of humanity's increasing his Karma level.

Who cares what his true motives are? It still stands that he's resisting in-game ads. That's enough for me.

I wouldn't mind in-game ads as long as they meet 2 conditions:
1) Do not look "forced"
2) Lowering the price of the game, drastically.

Input:
...Activision
...Respect
Beep Beep does not compute.

The Amazing Tea Alligator:

That, or they are expecting the countless shameless, soulless sequels they'll be shitting out every 4-6 months will more than make up for the cost. Besides, it said in-game, and I'm sure they mean that as "when you hit "play game", but everything outside of that? Prepare to get Enzite shoved all up yo grill!"

Oh yes, Kotick. I don't mind paying for the same damn games every year, $15 map packs, or subscription fees on top of my Live and internet connection.

But dammit, if you don't take that barely-visible Verizon billboard out, I'm afraid I'll just have to stop buying your games!

I think Kotick is kind of missing the point of in-game ads. The idea is that if you get a ton of sponsorship, you don't have to charge $60 or use subscription fees, not that you get the sponsorship and charge $60 and use subscription fees. That's the theory anyway. Notice how often it's actually been put in practice...

I'm looking at you, Madden '11.

So basically what this amounts to (metaphorically) is Bobby Kotick standing up there at the microphone at a press conference, not saying anything, shrugging, and then stepping back down having expressed exactly no thought.

You find it disrespectful to the customer? How about charging 15 dollars for a map pack you assholes, one of them having 2 maps from and old game.

In game ads are far better than a subscription fee, or paid DLC, or something. It just has to fit the setting. A fantasy world, for instance, would be ruined by advertisements. A modern setting, like any racing game, or games like Battlefield 2, can fit almost any ad into the game, and almost increase immersion, certainly not decrease it. A sci-fi game can almost get away with ads, but they'd have to be done right.

I agree that in game ad's are bullshit. If I pay for a gmae, then I don't want to see any ads. If I get the game for free, then I guess I could deal with some ads, but I doubt any company would do that.

I dunno, Naked Snake looks pretty awesome in that Mountain Dew t-shirt. Seriously though, I can't really think of any games I played where in-game advertising was a pain in the ass or anything. The only thing that even comes to mind is Dodge ads in Crackdown and all the Apple stuff in Metal Gear Solid 4, but neither of them were out of place or focused on.

SimuLord:

How the hell Kotick is at Last, Best Hope of Humanity instead of Scourge of Humanity right now is something I'm having some trouble figuring out.

Tom Goldman:
Just when evidence had come out indicating that in-game advertisements have a positive effect on consumer spending, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has indicated a reluctance to use them at all. In comments made at a media conference today, Kotick stated that in-game ads are disrespectful to his customers.

Despite a perception by some that Kotick is all about profit, he alleges that Activision is not focused on making that profit through in-game ads. "There was a time where we thought advertising and sponsorship was a big opportunity, but what we realized is our customers are paying $60 for a game or paying a monthly subscription fee and they don't really want to be barraged with sponsorship or advertising," Kotick said. "So being very respectful of our audiences, unless it's something that's really authentic and will enhance the game experience, we're generally not going to include something in the game."

"There may be future opportunities where you might offer a consumer an advertiser-supported experience so they wouldn't have to pay for it," he continued. "But as long as our audience is paying $60 for a game or a subscription fee I think we're going to limit the amount of advertising or sponsorship incorporated into a game."

This could go a long way for Kotick's image in the eyes of gamers. In-game advertising makes sense in certain titles, like Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero that use real-world products. On the other hand, it really can be strange when you're questing through a game like Diablo III and you see a Pepsi can monster that shakes himself up and fizzes on you as an attack. Thankfully, Activison has no plans to implement such a thing.

Source: IGN

I see a Reading Comprehension 101 Error...

mjc0961:
I dunno, Naked Snake looks pretty awesome in that Mountain Dew t-shirt. Seriously though, I can't really think of any games I played where in-game advertising was a pain in the ass or anything. The only thing that even comes to mind is Dodge ads in Crackdown and all the Apple stuff in Metal Gear Solid 4, but neither of them were out of place or focused on.

SimuLord:

How the hell Kotick is at Last, Best Hope of Humanity instead of Scourge of Humanity right now is something I'm having some trouble figuring out.

My case for Bobby Kotick. I had a little fun with the concept after the Extra Credits "Free Speech" episode aired.

Wait a minute..... Does Kotick know about this?

It's a pretty transparent attempt to try to improve Bobby Kotick and Activision's image, but it's still a nice gesture.

I don't mind it in games where it makes sense but hey, the less ads the better!

Nice try!
In game advertising is the least obtrusive thing that Kotick could do right now. If he'd scale back the anti-consumer insanity that is his business plan and replaced it with a couple billboards in the background of the next Call of Duty game, I would LOVE HIM.

He's so full of it... compared to everything else he does, In-game advertising is probably one one the best, as they get paid, and we dont have to put up with his bullshit money making schemes.

Kotick +1 Respect Points.

That brings the total to like -999

I actually link in game ads... Done tastefully. <.<

Like CokaCola in Duke Nukem, or Dr.Pepper referenced in any manner (perhaps a love interest of the main character?).

SimuLord:

That or he just passed a speech check.

Knight Templar:

SimuLord:

That or he just passed a speech check.

He must've just come from Oasis or Paradise Falls.

*gets mezzed*

Aw crap, now I'm wearing a collar. Shouldn't have taken my eye off the bastard. At least my head didn't a splode.

I have to call Bullshit on this one guys.
Activision has a long history of using in-game ads.

Cpu46:

Read the article... Kotick said it.

<watches your cynical head asplode>

Bobby K heard "positive effect" and backed out as fast as he could.

lacktheknack:

Cpu46:

Read the article... Kotick said it.

<watches your cynical head asplode>

Wait i thought i read the article already, my mind must have blocked out the immense breach of logic to protect my head from asploding

<rereads article>

but... but its Kotick?

OH MY GOD, REALITY AS I KNOW IT IS COLLAPSING!!!!

<head asplodes>

Kotick just earned some points, now how is he going to flush them down the toilet?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here