Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has laid out plans to package the in-game cinematics from games like StarCraft and sell them as movies.

Cinematics are of such high quality today, especially those created by developers like Blizzard in the recent StarCraft II, that Activision CEO Bobby Kotick thinks they should become more than pieces of a game. If gamers are spending an hour watching these computer-generated scenes while playing, why not remove them from the game and charge for viewing privileges?

That's exactly what Kotick plans to do at Activision within the next five years. At the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference this week he detailed his plans to monetize cutscenes that can be sold as movies.

Speaking about these cutscenes, Kotick said: "If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, take it out of the game, and we were to go to our audiences for whom we have their credit card information as well as a direct relationship and ask, 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?', my guess is that ... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever."

He guesses that such a product could be priced at around $20 to $30, but any pricing at this point is pure speculation. "Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that," he added. These "movies" would be distributed online directly to consumers from Activision.

Kotick calls the people that would purchase such a product "enthusiast consumers," because they're willing to watch cinematics again even though they might have already beaten a copy of the game they're from. This really isn't all that new of an idea, aside from the digital distribution aspect of it, as Blizzard released a cutscene collection on DVD called the Blizzard Collection in 2002 long before Kotick was associated with the developer.

That price range seems really high, considering that an entire game costs $50 or $60, but this is a business that would likely provide extra revenue to any company that has fans on the level of World of Warcraft and StarCraft. It's not like gamers would have to buy these scenes if they didn't want to, but rest assured, plenty would.

Source: Gamasutra

I am displeased and unsurprised, there's no way this will fly.

That seems lazy and an excuse for money grabbing. I could watch the cutscenes on Youtube if I wanted to. Also, the gaps where the gameplay was will be around.

Blizzard did this before? Oh... well... Blizzard like money too.

Calumon: I like cake and money. Can I have a money cake?

Jack and Calumon:
That seems lazy and an excuse for money grabbing.

There is nothing seemingly about it. I can't believe that he keeps pulling shit like this! FUCK!

God DAMN it!

Does this mans greed know no bounds?

Biggest opening weekend of any film ever? This movie geek begs to wholeheartedly disagree with this stupid comment.

Jack and Calumon:
That seems lazy and an excuse for money grabbing. I could watch the cutscenes on Youtube if I wanted to. Also, the gaps where the gameplay was will be around.

Everybody loves money...Especilly Kotick i could bet he drinks money smoothies for breakfest.

And as you stated you could just watch the cutscenes on Youtube but then again Żoutube could get a scary mail from Activision lawyer and would be forced to take em down.

Ohh...Did your last title really breack the Escapist?

Bobby Kotick has come up with a new and creative way to squeeze more money out of video games? WHERE AM I? MARS???

Seriously. Next he'll want to charge an extra $15 for the "high-quality" game soundtrack. If you don't pay, every game will just be midi music and Nintendo bleeps.

...The fact that that last thing I said would be awesome has nothing whatsoever to do with my point. PAY ATTENTION, GUYS.

Does anyone else hear the Imperial March play in their head everytime they read the name Bobby Kotick?

No.

I would rather not see this happen, really. What do you do when you have a part of the game that isn't a cutscene, but you lose control of your character and things happen? Does that get included?

Also, I would hate to see anyone give away their precious money for something like this, especially to a company such as ACTIVISION. =_=

Oh, and, if this DOES happen? You know what the next step will be? You guessed it, exclusive in-game content for purchasing the cutscene compilation! WEE! Then even I would be tempted to buy the damn thing.

Fuck that.

This proves how out of touch Kotick is, completely removing the game play from a games story is removing half the story and most of the experience. What a tosser. Should remove the ko and just call him Tick, all he wants is blood. Didn't he come out recently stating that he actually likes games or something? This proves he doesn't have a clue about them.

Evilsanta:

Jack and Calumon:

Everybody loves money...Especilly Kotick i could bet he drinks money smoothies for breakfest.

And as you stated you could just watch the cutscenes on Youtube but then again Żoutube could get a scary mail from Activision lawyer and would be forced to take em down.

Ohh...Did your last title really breack the Escapist?

Unfortunately, yes. I set it to some Japanese Characters which wasn't supported by the titles coding, causing it to become numbers displaying an error. This caused the entire bar separating User from post to be stretched along quite a bit. I changed it as soon as I noticed.

Calumon: Yeah, kinda our bad. We reported it so it's not that bad.

So, the games itself will not have cutscenes anymore and whoever wants to watch them has to pay? I myself do not like this and wouldnt buy such uncomplette games. Though i know many people who just dislike cutscenes in general and will probably like their new cutscene-less games.

Hahaha...wow...really?

I mean, I don't see it doing too well.

Why not just use Blur to make ACTUAL movies...?

Well, at least we won't ever get a game and then have to pay to see the cutscenes that didn't come with the game.
Right?
...Right?

So now they are trying to sell cutscenes that are probably already in games. If you did not buy the games then you most likely have no interest in the cut scenes and if you buy the game it's not like you need to see them all again. What a pointless, greedy idea. It actually made me a little angry on the inside.

How about this Bobby - just make a fucking movie?

Make a great game, include cutscenes (so those pesky script writers and directors can focus on something)- then pass the ball to the film makers.

Still waiting on the game>film that gets it right.

Bobby Kotick:

"For starters, our virtual characters don't have agents, they don't have managers, they don't have lawyers."

But voice actors do, Bobby. And they will probably start demanding a larger chunk of the cut if you do this.

Not only is this starting to crossover into tie-orphans-to-the-railroad-tracks evil, the plan is about as well thought out as an underpants gnome scheme.

Questions of greedy publisher executives aside, this is kind of silly.

If you just take the cutscenes out of a game, you'll end up with an extremely disjointed narrative.

Plus, why would I pay for a bunch of cutscenes that (a) I can already view at any time and (b) are going to be freely available on the net?

Dear God, Metal Gear Solid 4 would be about ten minutes of gameplay!

^ Mortons4ck has said about everything I could on the subject.

Oh, Bobby, you crazy, crazy man.

*facepalm*

So using in-game adds to lower the cost of games = bad and tacky.
Selling cutscences = good?
What?

This is so hilarous. Bobby Kotick gains some respect by saying he won't put advertising in games and then immediately destroys that respect by trying to make gamers pay for cutscenes they can just download on youtube.

Well done Kotick, not many people can gain and loose respect like this.

My god, it's... it's like the man is comprised entirely of pure business.

What has been unleashed upon is is madness my friends, money making madness.

So it would just be the cutscenes? StarCraft 2 has a way to just view them in game after you've seen them. Why not pay the $20-$30 more for the actual game? It'd be cool if they took some of the cutscenes and y'know, actually added to them and made full length movies. Then again you can't charge as much for that and it would cost far more.

got my pretty Cutscens from StarCraft 2 on a DVD + behind the scenes footage :D StarCraft 2 Collecters Edition <3

tho it dosent surprise me its the CEO of Activision and not Blizzard... Activision you greedy wankers !

"... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever"

Speaking as someone who has never played any of the Starcraft games I can say that it might be interesting to see just the story. On TV. For free. When nothing beter is on.

Can't imagine anyone that's already seen it would want to pay for it again.

But I guess that's where the credit card and direct relationship comes from.

I'd actually like to see a Starcraft Movie in the Quality of Blizzard's CGI (!) Cutscenes.

...But the problem is, it has to be a movie.

Cutscenes do not make a movie...at best, they make up parts of a movie.

I've seen a story summary of Starcraft 1 recently on Youtube, and most of the time i was shown Mission Briefings and In-Mission Dialogue. The Cutscenes didn't even told HALF of the Story.

Also, if i see a "Cutscene Movie", i want real pre-rendered CGI Cutscenes, not Ingame Cutscenes.

I don't care that they look kinda good on Starcraft 2, it's not enough to make a movie out of it.

If by taking cutscenes out, he means ruining the story of games and makeing a movie full of holes where game play should be he is made of fail. If on the other hand, he is talking about making a movie to complement the story of the game using the same technology and visual style as the games cutscenes, he might actually have a decent idea. It could give the teams making the cutscenes more freedom to play around as well as more revenue for the companies. And if he wasn't a greedy f**k that money could go back inot new projects, or finance pricecuts on games for us...
Oh well...

Pretty much the Only company I'd pay to watch a movie from is Valve.

Now those guys know how to make a good movie:

Or he could get money with a similar and less hate earning method. Game movies USING the same way cutscenes are done. Imagine if the Hitman movie was like a 2 hour cutscene from Blood Money? Agent 47 looking the same, sounding the same, and made by the game developers instead of being ruined by Hollywood.

As long as you know I don't have to start buying my cutscenes separate from the game, no biggie for me. As for your greed Mr. Kotick, you should burn.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here