Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Could someone clarify what Clownick means?

Does he mean: The games will be as before, but we will sell the cinematics by themselves in addition to the regular game? If so, why the hell not? I'm not stupid enough to pay for something like that, but I'm sure there are many who are.

Or does he mean: Games will be just games with all the cinematics deleted, that you must buy in addition to buying the game to get the whole story? If so...my god....there really is no bounds...DIAF Bobby.

This seriously has no chance of working. You can't just take out cutscenes from the middle of a story and sell them separately. Both products end up failing; the game feels like a bunch of disconnected levels with no common thread between them, and the movie feels like it's missing key sequences.

The only people who'd be interested are fans of the game. Who already own the game and therefore have the complete experience.

I don't see this half-baked plan taking off, Bobby. Maybe you should take a time-out for a while.

OK, I'm sure by now this page has been flooded with quite dramatic posts talking about greed, stupidity, the evil nature of Activision/Kotick, and maybe even the decline of videogames. But what those people are forgetting is that you don't have to buy it. It's not like if you don't buy the cutscene movie, you miss a part of the game. He's not forcing people to pay extra for anything, he's not taking away from videogames, he's not forcing you to buy it for a completer(Wait, that's a word?.....WHAT?) experience. He's merely providing a stupid package for stupid people to buy so that they can claim themselves as bigger fans of "Franchise A" then the guy across the street. It's nothing new, and companies that make just about anything and everything have been doing it for decades.

Clearly Kotick doesn't understand that a game's narrative is not told by cutscenes alone. Most games' cutscenes viewed by themselves would not make a coherent narrative at all. You'd have to show the actual gameplay bits as well. Then you might as well be playing the game. Duh.

This is a silly idea.

It seems like Bobby's trying his hardest to win a certain game, but no matter how hard he tries he just keeps on turning a profit. It must be awful spending years of your life trying to kill your corporation, only to repeatedly do well; maybe the extra points you get for a PR victory just aren't worth it.

Either way: my heart goes out to the poor, fabulously wealthy Bobby Kotick. Hope you fail soon, you poor chronic money-maker.

I just fear this is one of the main problems with the world in general, and of course the reason we're currently in a worldwide financial disaster.

There's some people who see the few hundred million ActiBlizz are pulling in each year and going 'You know that's just not enough profit for me, how can I gamble everything we stand for on squeezing a few more bucks out of this?'

For me as a WOW player, the celestial steed, the race and faction changes, all vastly overpriced in my opinion, but all optional. Go for it if you'd like to.

However, the moment they step over the line and make it necessary to buy extra stuff in a game we've bought and then are also paying monthly for, and we need to pay a third time, I think they'll see some big numbers declining.

As for this idea. No.

However, if the upcoming Warcraft movie had been of the quality of the WOW cinematics, and then voiced by some A listers or at least professionals (either the ones who do the in game stuff or some quality voice actors from outside, I'm not knocking the in game voice artists), then I'd buy that for a dollar...or twenty.

As it is I'll still go watch that when it comes out, but damn, as a cinematics style movie, it could have done EVERYTHING, with no weaknesses in CGI, makeup etc, no difficulties in portraying orcs, trolls, gnomes etc.

Why is he deliberately and purposefully trying to antagonize and alienate his customers? Is he trying to create another mid 80s collapse for the video game industry?
How long before the customer turns around and says "Fuck You, I Won't Buy What You Sell Me!"
How long?
...Not long.
Kotick is a Mad Dog. Mad Dogs need to be put down.
Does anyone have Sam Fisher or Agent 47 on speed dial?
Goddamnit, I don't want an arsehole like Nodick as the corrupt usurper overlord of all interactive entertainment...

...and you KNOW he'll somehow make you buy your cutscenes separate from the game.

Oliver Pink:
Pretty much the Only company I'd pay to watch a movie from is Valve.

Now those guys know how to make a good movie:

Oh, hell to the yes. I would pay $20 to see a true Valve movie, even if it was a short one.

So... he means actual cutscenes? Nothing added, just a bunch of stuff ripped from the game? Pardon my French, but why the fuck would anyone buy that? It's online, IT'S ON YOUR COMPUTER.

What else will that evil monster think of !? Selling music from games ?

oh...

Kotick, a simple statement towards this message.

FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR NEVER ENDING GREED.

Thank you.

This makes my stomach twist in anger.

Or maybe it was that burrito....

"I dont want to insult our customers with in game ads, but I will charge them 3 times more for DLC and now cutscenes in games they already own"

I have a better idea, I record the cutscenes from the game I already bought and own...and put them on a DVD myself so I can enjoy what I paid for all the time without spending extra! Ahhh what a grand idea.

To be honest. Do what you want Bobby. I won't pay for it anyway and if it get's to the point you take out cut scenes from games to sell them as separate product then i won't buy Activision published games at all. It's all that simple.

Kotick , why don't you just... disappear.

They already did this. It's called Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Seriously fans wouldn't buy this. "You want a Starcraft Movie?" "Hell Yeah!" "It's just the cutsxenes from the game you already bought" "Oh then no". Biggest opening weekend my ass.

They pulled thus thing with Red Dead Redemption by turning it into a half hour film. I watched it expecting some new background story or something. Nope it was just the cutsxenes from the game stitched together. I got pissed off and stopped watching. Good thing I didn't pay for it.

Stuff like this makes me want to be Christian. If that were so, I'd know there'd be a cruel and appropriate punishment for the likes of Mr Kotick.

Perhaps his punishment would be having to spend the rest of the afterlife in the Greed section of Hell.

The whole thing is just pure greed, plain and simple.

ugh.... Alright so the next logical step for this money-grubbing weasel would be either doubling the prices on every game and DLC or breaking in to customers' homes and stealing everything of value. I really hope that asshole dies horribly and painfully.

Not to wish death on anyone but is it really necessary for this level of greed to exist?

20-30 USD?

Seriously? DVDs are like $10 now, and Blurays are around $25 full price. I won't even mention sale prices.
Is this guy seriously planning to charge more for game movies than actual real movies? How fucked up is that?

Wow, this guy doesn't pass up any opportunity, no matter how damn contrived it is. Seriously, this guy said he didn't want to be the Darth Vader of video games and I don't think he is anymore; he's fucking Palpatine at this point.

Do whatever the text in my avatar says.

HT_Black:
It seems like Bobby's trying his hardest to win a certain game, but no matter how hard he tries he just keeps on turning a profit. It must be awful spending years of your life trying to kill your corporation, only to repeatedly do well; maybe the extra points you get for a PR victory just aren't worth it.

Either way: my heart goes out to the poor, fabulously wealthy Bobby Kotick. Hope you fail soon, you poor chronic money-maker.

I feel it is more like this game.

But Blizzard has already compiled their cutscenes onto DVDs and sold them to fans.

If Bobby keeps pushing gamers like this, it's only going to be a matter of time before they push back or simply cannot afford to buy his extortionate wares.

I hope the rest of the Blizzard / Activision CEOs catch onto the disservice he's doing their companies and fire the guy.

Mortagog:

Jack and Calumon:
That seems lazy and an excuse for money grabbing.

There is nothing seemingly about it. I can't believe that he keeps pulling shit like this! FUCK!

Seriously - Hes not even trying to hide his intentions now - Any excuse to make money for him...

wow, two examples of the mans insanity within 12 hours of each other.

Yet another example of "oh you, Kotick." I skip cutscenes after the first viewing (and usually want to skip them the first time but I like knowing where I am in the story) so I'm never going to use this anyway, but people payed $25 for a sparkly mount in WoW. Why wouldn't they pay blue-ray price for all of the cutscenes in a game?

I can see this working, its no different from releasing the Sound track even low sales produce money because all the expensive work has already been paid for the disc themselves cost next to nothing

TsunamiWombat:
Why not just use Blur to make ACTUAL movies...?

I support this, Blur does amazing trailers and cutscenes. Have them make a game related movie.
Seems like a no-brainer.

Could be interesting. If you don't want to play a game, like Starcraft 2, because of its genre, but still want to experience the story, you could buy the film.

As long as they can make it seem coherent, I'm down with this.

No, not the biggest turnout ever Bobby, the biggest riot ever.

Tom Goldman:
Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has laid out plans to package the in-game cinematics from games like StarCraft and sell them as movies.

Ok, that crack me up. Gotta be a joke right? First, who would be dumb enough to strip the cutscenes from a videogame and watch it a movie? Game are a interactive medium and most game tend to leave the action outside of the cinematic to be played by a players. Removing those stretch of gameplay would cut piece of the story out but also remove any semblance of pacing. It would be like if you took a James Bond movie, cut it where James is in the death trap to where's he's standing over the villain with the babe in his arm. That wouldn't be appealing to anyone. Seriously, Kotick is to videogame what Joe Quesada is to Comic... A freaking joke.

It's more worrying that he specifically mentions people who's credit card details are already known to Activision. So if you don't give Activision your info, they wont offer you a product? How is that supposed to work as a viable business model.

As for the whole "greed" thing, the kinds of people Kotick has in mind are likely the same people who would pay $25 for a horse in WoW. It's a choice whether they want to buy, and some people will.

RatRace123:

TsunamiWombat:
Why not just use Blur to make ACTUAL movies...?

I support this, Blur does amazing trailers and cutscenes. Have them make a game related movie.
Seems like a no-brainer.

*Look back at tittle of the thread* One would think so but just read any Activision or Kotick news to see that even to think about a no-brainer, you need something.

Banana Phone Man:
So now they are trying to sell cutscenes that are probably already in games. If you did not buy the games then you most likely have no interest in the cut scenes and if you buy the game it's not like you need to see them all again. What a pointless, greedy idea. It actually made me a little angry on the inside.

I don't have the money for a current gen console, and there are quite a few games I would pay to watch the cut scenes for, none of which are Blizzard games, but when someone comes out with the Disgaea 3 cut scene DVD, let me know, because I hate playing through all those fights (if you've never played Disgaea it takes forever to beat one level, and there are typically two or three you go through before the next scene) and I like the funny, also, Xenosaga could have easily been a movie, but they had to put all that gameplay in there. In short, this is a good idea for people like me who want a good story, or the story from a good game, but hate they shitty shit shit gameplay parts that either suck or are way to long/hard/annoying to deal with every time we want to see cool video game shit happen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here