Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

....And when Kotick actually puts his plan into motion,we ought to know best not to buy them.

Then he'll learn.

I'm going on record at saying that Kotic can shove this idea straight up his ass because I will not be falling for it.

That's pretty much my expression when I read this.

Someone... shoot Bobby already.

Maybe all these execs are equally as greedy but... Bobby can't keep his mouth shut and it is just depressing.

T.=.T

hazabaza1:
Well, at least we won't ever get a game and then have to pay to see the cutscenes that didn't come with the game.
Right?
...Right?

Games might actually be better without cutscenes... ecpecially games like mgs4... Kojima wanted to make a movie disguised as a game, and he rewards you for watching flashbacks... Meaning that you HAVE to watch the flashbacks if you want to do the best possible.

This infuriates, but does not surprise, me.

Ashsaver:
....And when Kotick actually puts his plan into motion,we ought to know best not to buy them.

Then he'll learn.

Especially when Activision seem to charge more for their games than anyone else, I'm looking at you Call Of Duty, though they might have trouble removing cutscenes from that :P

Mortagog:

Jack and Calumon:
That seems lazy and an excuse for money grabbing.

There is nothing seemingly about it. I can't believe that he keeps pulling shit like this! FUCK!

You're actually surprised? Kotick tucks himself into his bed made of money, with his sheets made of money, by a romantic money fire fuelled by money and you're surprised he wants MOAR!?

Oh Kotick, you so silly.

Kotick.... someone put this retard down. This human(ish) abomination is disgusting me.

Kotick calls the people that would purchase such a product "enthusiast consumers," because they're willing to watch cinematics again even though they might have already beaten a copy of the game they're from.

For 20-30 bucks? I would probably call them "morons"...

Bahahahahahahaha- Oh shit, he's serious?

Bahahahahahahahaha!

Good luck with that.

If you can take the cut-scenes from a game and release them separately without any negative effects to the story, you've not made the game very well. A good game should allow narrative through gameplay...hell, all games do to a degree. It'd be like thinking The Dark Knight only showing scenes with the Joker would be one of the best movies ever because now it doesn't have all that crazy development and cohesion getting in the way.

I guess it doesn't matter to me since I'll either actually play the game or get the Collectors Edition if I want to see the cutscenes, but it would set a bad trend in the industry if it makes any kind of profit (which it would, since manufacturing and shipping fees would be beyond negligible).

Then there's the chance it becomes mandatory by some companies also wanting a big price increase without extra cost, at which point games would be 50% more expensive if you want context and narrative with your graphics and gameplay; storylines would be disjointed and isolated, games will completely lose hope of being considered art, and naturally the success will spawn further unforeseen 'innovations' from the leaders of the industry.

A bleak future is upon us, I just pray for the strength to carry on.

Only Valve is safe from the coming storm.

Kotick, you retard... Why can't you just shut the fuck up? Let your Marketing Department do their thing, so shut up!

"If gamers are spending an hour watching these computer-generated scenes while playing, why not remove them from the game and charge for viewing privileges?"

So, like...this is an Onion article, right?

Jesus Christ . . .

I'd like to see them try that successfully.

It will be the biggest opening weekend for a movie ever, huh? Why does this man continue to speak in public?

Tom Goldman:

Speaking about these cutscenes, Kotick said: "If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, take it out of the game, and we were to go to our audiences for whom we have their credit card information as well as a direct relationship and ask, 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?', my guess is that ... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever."

They really need to hire a PR guy to follow Kotick around and make sure he never speaks himself.

Mortons4ck:

Bobby Kotick:

"For starters, our virtual characters don't have agents, they don't have managers, they don't have lawyers."

But voice actors do, Bobby. And they will probably start demanding a larger chunk of the cut if you do this.

Not only is this starting to crossover into tie-orphans-to-the-railroad-tracks evil, the plan is about as well thought out as an underpants gnome scheme.

I would be a happy man if Bobby Kotick was suddenly taken to the cleaners for fraud or something. I mean, the amount of money grabbing bullshit he seems to pull would definitely put up a whole bunch of huge red flags in my book. If he wants more money I'm sure he'd be more than happy not to pay taxes.

Otherwise, I want every idea he ever has to be shot down so hard it makes his children cry. They deserve it through their genes. Evil, evil man. Quite literally.

Probably a sociopath.

Well, he and his cronies have tested the threshold of gamers by stripping features from many games and reselling them as DLC and been vindicated. Gamers are terrible at boycotts and cave in en-mass(MW2). Eventually expectations will lowered enough for the next wave of nickle and dimming schemes.

How about paying for access to each league in Starcraft? Customs? SDK? Replays? Account space subscription to maintain your profile? They might not go that far yet but the possibilities are endless as long as some consumers ruin it for others, in fact I think its more corrosive than piracy.

The last Activison game I got was COD4 as a gift but now they are merged with Blizzard it's harder. Even If you support blizzard but never buy Activision's cut scene packs they will never add back that value unless they think they are losing unit sales. We are screwed either way.

This seems like a fake story that would come out as an April Fools joke. The fact that it's real is almost enough to make you want to slam someone's head against a wall and yell "cut that shit out!".

Some kill kotick already, his greed knows no bounds.

I'm pretty sure I'd rather be able to watch a game's cutscenes' in the game as a part of the game more than I want to see a movie of that game made entirely of cutscenes.

What a douchebag.

Charging for cutscenes that will make absolutely no sense because of the lack of gameplay and in-game cutscenes? Surely Kotick is just fucking with everyone, because I doubt he's this stupid.

Hey, Mr. Kotick: Games and film are not the same thing, no matter how hard one tries to be the other.

"For starters, our virtual characters don't have agents, they don't have managers, they don't have lawyers"

But in all seriousness, this is completely ridiculous. He's spouting complete nonsense that only seems to make sense to himself. Does he honestly beleive people will spend up to $30 on CUTSCENES? Movies don't even cost that much -_-

I bet it's already been said, but I'm not sure I can sort through 5 pages just looking for one comment. It happened with Red Dead Redemption already.

Sorta.

Is he dumb?? Unless those cutscenes are from a Metal Gear Solid game(or a Devil May Cry one, because those action sequences are boss), it ain't gonna work!

New Release game: $80
New Release game (Cut scenes included): $140

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: I like cake and money. Can I have a money cake?

No... But you can have Cake money...

I wouldn't buy myself a pass to Watch cut scenes. if they would be arranged to be A MOVIE! I would. Bu clipboard collection of random cut scenes... No.

I have the collectors edition of starcraft 2 which means behind the scenes dvd with all the cutscenes on it. Not buying more cutscenes that I have already. Thanks Kotick.

And why not just say...check these cinematics out on youtube for free?

Oh! That's right...because you assholes are going to start enforcing all the bullshit copyright claims over them if this goes into effect. So what we can already see for free as of right now will later have to be payed for as well, rather than seeing it for free and serving as another form of marketing via Youtube as it does as of right now.

Honestly...these kinds of schemes are what makes me think that, for all the strawman arguments and utter bollocks that goes around it, piracy also has a point behind it all when it comes to certain products and things, at least when it comes to the peer-to-peer kind.

I have actually bought books about the plotlines of games I have played before (Warcraft: Tides of Darkness for example) but this is a little too much. No, not a little, it's flat out stupid. Blizzard, why did you team up with this arrogant fool?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind I just realized that Blizzard alone released a DVD of cutscenes from Starcraft 1.

Wouldn't a film comprised entirely of cutscenes be disjointed? I mean, I'm pretty sure plot elements are able to occur between in-game movies.

I mean, imagine if you only took those 2-D animations bits from Mirror's Edge to make a 15 minute (MAybe less) short film. It wouldn't make any sense at all and it wouldn't even be enjoyable to watch to people who have played it

so wait, i dont think i understand this properly, there thinking of removing the cut scenes from the games and then charging people to view them?

im sorry but that's just what i think there planing.

Tom Goldman:
Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Speaking about these cutscenes, Kotick said: "If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, take it out of the game, and we were to go to our audiences for whom we have their credit card information as well as a direct relationship and ask, 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?', my guess is that ... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever."Permalink

a

"See, what we're going to do is make it mandatory that eveytime you boot up the game, we charge you $29.95 to see a bunch of cutscenes from that game. It's in the EULA. Genius! Also in the EULA, we technically own your mom, Canada and the secret recipe for Santa Fe style Turkey from that Deli you like."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here