Kotick Itching to Sell Cutscenes As Films

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Grouchy Imp:
So is he thinking of completely removing the cutscenes from his games altogether, in a kind of "Game 40 quid, plot 20 quid extra" type thing, or is he simply talking about leaving cutscenes in the games, but also releasing them in a back-to-back format like an optional DVD extra?

Also, how much money does this guy think he needs?

I think he's just suggesting to repackage the cutscenes for hardcore fans who are too lazy to play the game.

And your question about money: I don't know about you, but I'd like as much of it as possible.

I really, REALLY want something bad to happen to Bobby Kotik

in other words...how he wants MOAR MONEYY

I mean, some game companies make some mad cutscenes and junk
and if they really did make a movie...it could be pretty awesome (Blizzard...sure, Bungie oh yeahhh, and of course ValvE)

Spendrik:

Grouchy Imp:
So is he thinking of completely removing the cutscenes from his games altogether, in a kind of "Game 40 quid, plot 20 quid extra" type thing, or is he simply talking about leaving cutscenes in the games, but also releasing them in a back-to-back format like an optional DVD extra?

Also, how much money does this guy think he needs?

I think he's just suggesting to repackage the cutscenes for hardcore fans who are too lazy to play the game.

And your question about money: I don't know about you, but I'd like as much of it as possible.

See, I don't want as much as possible. I just want a small amount to ensure my future comfort.

Say about 10 million quid?

Just watching the cutscenes from Starcraft 2 would make no sense whatsoever. I hope this doesn't mean cutting down on inengine interactive cutscenes. Imagine if this prick ever got his hands on Valve.

That was a disturbing mixed metaphor...

If ever there was a reason to be a pirate, Kotick just thought it up.

TheBluesader:
Bobby Kotick has come up with a new and creative way to squeeze more money out of video games? WHERE AM I? MARS???

Seriously. Next he'll want to charge an extra $15 for the "high-quality" game soundtrack. If you don't pay, every game will just be midi music and Nintendo bleeps.

...The fact that that last thing I said would be awesome has nothing whatsoever to do with my point. PAY ATTENTION, GUYS.

Well Modern Warfare already took Mario's example of money falling out of people when you hit them.. It may not be as much a joke as you think.

oranger:

HK_01:

arcstone:

HK_01:
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Kotick? Does he want to be seen as the biggest asshole in the entire gaming industry and completely destroy Activision by aggrivating gamers so much that they actually will stop buying games from them? Plus, SC2 only had like 5-10 minutes of CG cinematics.

Yeah well, 90% of the people that buys his stuff does not even know that he exist.

That is true, but I'm pretty sure they will notice that somehow the story's mostly missing. And then they'll notice that they're supposed to buy it. And then they'll notice that that only happens with games from Activision. And then they'll stop buying them. Hopefully. Judging from how many people bought MW2 for PC, I'm really not so sure. Gamers just seem to love being abused by the publishers.

I'm starting to think there's more than one type of gamer: the discerning type, who buys what is good in games; and the type that would happily be spoon fed molten plastic if their favorite publisher made an airplane noise.

Let us of course not forget about the legions of fourteen year olds that buys modern warfare cause that's what the cool kids do.

But the cutscenes suuuuuuck.

One thing I'd buy is Mass Effect. And it's a game-cutscene already.

Or they could just...you know..make a CG movie?

Granted that would take a ton of time and money, but they certainly have the writers and CG teams to do it. It would be better(and probably more profitable) than taking a bunch of unrelated cut-scenes from a game and trying to sell it as a movie.

Oh, Kotick. Your get rich(er) quick schemes are amazing.
Does he write for Ed, Edd n Eddy?

hey, if he wants to do that and NOT sell his games at $60 then I'm fine with that. THe idiots can help me buy games cheaper.

What next? CDs made of wet paper? Then the buyer will have to rebuy the game every 5 play sessions. Dick move AND makes Activision more money.

...And Kotick continues his steady slide into batshit lunacy, right on schedule.

Ekonk:
God DAMN it!

This

As a general idea, reselling the cutscenes from a video game isn't terrible. Blizzard already has the cutscenes from WCIII up on their youtube site as a playlist so you can watch them back to back. I saw them a few months ago and it was kinda nice to be able to watch em again and really see the story evolve. The reselling would be especially useful for sequels so you can watch the first game's cutscenes and get brought up to speed without having to replay a 6 year old game.

However, the pricepoint is extremely retarded. Nobody sane is going to pay $30 for something they can just buy the original game for. Now, if it was priced at $5 (or god forbid, actually free), I can see people going for it.

Kotick, most games nowadays have this little feature called a cutscene viewer. It lets you go back and watch any of the cutscenes you want, whenever you want. So why in the name of God did you think this was a good idea?!

This shit will never fly.

TheComedown:
This proves how out of touch Kotick is, completely removing the game play from a games story is removing half the story and most of the experience. What a tosser. Should remove the ko and just call him Tick, all he wants is blood. Didn't he come out recently stating that he actually likes games or something? This proves he doesn't have a clue about them.

Haha, so true. Sad, sad times :(

-Samurai-:
Or they could just...you know..make a CG movie?

Granted that would take a ton of time and money, but they certainly have the writers and CG teams to do it. It would be better(and probably more profitable) than taking a bunch of unrelated cut-scenes from a game and trying to sell it as a movie.

This game-cutscene plan sounds like the CGI film B-movie equivalent.

I don't really follow "game" movies (specifically CGI/animated), but I'm going to assume they don't sell too hot, so I think game cinematics clipped together would be a complete failure.

I honestly don't see what's so bad with this. It simply sounds like they are planning to make video game movies.

EDIT: I'm not exactly clear on what Kotick wants to do here. Does he want to make movies of brand NEW cutscenes? Or does he just want to take cutscenes out of games and sell those individually?

If they are making new material and making movies out of them, I don't see a problem with that.

If they are just repackaging old material, then I'm going with the crowd here.

Kotick is no different than, say, Glenn Beck. His job is to think up evermore ridiculous nonsense because this continually pushes the entire "conversation" further in his desired direction. When you advocate monetizing something so egregiously, people are more apt to forgive you your less insane ideas.

This is probably the biggest problem with the world today. No one is ever held accountable for anything he or she says, so there's no real disincentive to ward against running your mouth. If people like Beck and Kotick were simply punched in the back of the head, repeatedly, until they stopped, we wouldn't have these issues.

Seriously, Kotick is like a cartoon caricature of an evil businessman. He went to the same business school as the heads of the Umbrella Corporation. If he were a fictional character he'd be called a one-dimensional strawman. Unbefuckinglievable.

This is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard come from someone in the video game industry. "we're gonna have them buy the 60 dollar game, but we can sell them the cutscenes for another thirty bucks. Hey if they like the game they'll buy it right?"
I've seen some cut scenes from games that would be awesome to have, and would need little to no back story from the actual game. One I can think of right now is the cut scene "Monsters" fro Halo Wars. It's great and I would pay, say, 99 cents to have it forever. But to pay 30 dollars for a dvd full of cut scenes, some of which may be 10-30 seconds log, doesn't seem like the greatest thing.

My opinion? This idea's gonna get thrown out, real fast. Really people? Do you think we're all that dumb?

Bobby Kotick just failed at logic. Seriously failed. You can't tell a complete story this way, and no Bobby. No. People are NOT going to fork out an extra twenty dollars for the cinema's. You know what they ARE going to do though? Drop you like a bad habit.

You hear the sound of footsteps? It's your company's fans, leaving. hey are abandoning this sinking ship. You idiot.

Mr. Kotick, you are an evil genius. I bow to your superior marketing capabilities.

Mind you, I wouldn't actually buy a disc full of cutscenes at any price, but I can think of people who would, and why not separate them from their money?

Jack and Calumon:
That seems lazy and an excuse for money grabbing. I could watch the cutscenes on Youtube if I wanted to. Also, the gaps where the gameplay was will be around.

Except when this shit gets pulled, YouTube will have to delete those videos because they'll be copyright infringement.

Wait...what? He wants to sell 30 second to 5 minute clips on a DVD...without the gameplay. Who would buy this? I mean, the man is obviously a very passionate business man, but this...this is just...exploitation? I don't know if anyone would buy this.

ow, ow, oooow, kodick's greed is physically hurting me

mazzjammin22:
Wait...what? He wants to sell 30 second to 5 minute clips on a DVD...without the gameplay. Who would buy this? I mean, the man is obviously a very passionate business man, but this...this is just...exploitation? I don't know if anyone would buy this.

"Hey kids! Want to know how the story of your favorite games ends without all of that hacky slashy nonsense? Forget 'playing' and start watching!"

I can just imagine a game like Devil May Cry 4:

Scene #44: "Nero walks into a room and there are demons!"
Scene #45: RANDOMOMGWTFACTION!!! (somewhere COMPLETELY different)

The number of games have cutscenes interspersed enough to foil this idea borders on the absurd. These cutscene "films" would be nothing more than disjointed movie reel of plotholes unless they were to bother and fill in the gaps. That means more money spent on already expensive cutscenes that should be going towards the game.

If I'm getting the underlying gist of this concept, it's $30 for a slipshod telling of a game's story or buy the $60 upgraded version where you can actually play.

Activision could probably make a DVD (collection) of all the wacky crap Kotick spews and market it as "Jackass: CEO Edition." Now to have him jump a shark tank on rusty roller skates...

Honestly, if i had the choice of killing the anti christ or removing kotic from the buisness world for ever, i might hesitate.

This dude really over estimates the value of his product with youtube and it's ilk out there.

Unfortunately these Ideas don't ever go both ways. They over course won't give you an edition of the game without cutscenes at a reduced price.

Kotick has officially pissed off everyone (who wasn't already pissed at him) on this site.

I see this as a bad idea, and if they make it manditory to buy the cutscenes to play them in your game? Well, let's just say I wouldn't be touching anything from activision.

Sure, some people would buy them... But I don't understand why

for PC games:
Step 1) Go to the data folder
Step 2) Find a folder named "movies"
Step 3) Watch them all.

...wot?

That would make the games make no sense, and the cutscenes make less. I... I...

WHO THE HELL WOULD EVEN CONSIDER THAT?!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or