TGS '10: Eyes On Shadow of the Colossus PS3

TGS '10: Eyes On Shadow of the Colossus PS3

How do the PS3 re-releases of Shadow of the Colossus and Ico stack up against the originals?

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are to be released in a compilation CD come Spring 2011. Creator Fumito Ueda confirmed incessant rumors over a PS3 port of the two games on Thursday during the Tokyo Game Show.

During a live demo of SOTC, the graphics seemed not markedly different from the originals, though they've been re-textured as part of the update. The key difference is the improved frame rate. Players displeased with the infamously erratic frame rate should take solace in the better specs of the PS3 (30 frames-per-second). The collection was also confirmed to be 3D compatible, though sadly, there will be no HD upgrade. However, both will be tricked out with trophy support

Lastly, there's good news for North American Ico fans: The PS3 version will feature the widely preferred European ending of the game.

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

Read more TGS 2010 coverage here.

Cool, I might actually get to play this much-loved game. Looking forward to it.

Aww I wanted take down a Colossus on my 60inch HDTV D:

So they were re-textured, but not upgraded for HD resolutions? Not really sure if I would want to spend my money to buy them again now...

Well if they aren't HD I don't really see the point of porting it to the PS3...

I'd love to play this game on my PS3.

New textures and better framerate are at least a reason for people to buy it rather than the PS2 version. If you already have it then it's probably not worth it, unless you like trophies ^_^

I'll be getting the collection for ICO :D Provided it's cheap anyways.

I have not played shadow of the colossus but I gotta say I am not really interested, they're bringing it to the ps3 and not improving graphics but rather adding 3D capabilities. I am curious just how many people actually use the 3D on their ps3. who knows, maybe the graphics were amazing on the ps2 but I feel as though graphics should be given more attention than making it 3d.

Hmm, do I get it, or replay shadow now? Or both...

Yes, both sounds good. I'll be looking forward to finally playing Ico!

Dexiro:
New textures and better framerate are at least a reason for people to buy it rather than the PS2 version. If you already have it then it's probably not worth it, unless you like trophies ^_^

I'll be getting the collection for ICO :D Provided it's cheap anyways.

From what I hear, it will be like the GoW 1&2 reskin where it is $40 out of the gate. That's about $20 per game and on one disk. Can you even pick them up used for that price?

Lol wasn't a HD remake what people wanted? Maybe there was a problem doing it, or perhaps they really want to push reasons for 3D on the PS3.

I don't think this is the way though. I never got HD remakes but that's what spurred people to play these games again, not 3D.

Hmm I'd quite like this although I have both Ico and SoTC on ps2. Ehh I'll pick it up if I see it dirt-cheap in a year or two :)

European ending???? what happens in that?

Hmpf, no HD... Somehow that really bums me out.

Maybe making it high def revealed some graphical faults, otherwise I wouldn't know why they didn't include it.

Um, Escapist, you're doing it wrong. I'm not sure if in this case "it" is "knowing the facts" or "knowing the definition of HD." I can only assume you meant the polygon count wasn't increased because the games are definitely displayed at HD resolutions as reported by all the other sites I've seen cover this (Joystiq, IGN, and Kotaku come to mind), as well as Famitsu. Now if that means 720p or 1080p IDK but I'd guess 720p based off other similar collections. Also you can tell by looking at the fullsize screenshots of the two games. Definitely way over SD for SotC and way way over the sub SD quality of Ico. Seriously, I think that game displayed at 320x240 originally, it was awful on my 50" plasma.

Quiet Stranger:

Curious as well, I can't find anything about the European ending on youtube or gamefaqs, and nothing on Wiki either.

I dont mind so much that the SotC port doesnt have an HD upgrade; a retexturing and proper resolution is enough for me. I believe what is important, and from this article seems covered, is the improved framerate; the PS2's framerate took me out of the experience a bit. Can't wait for this; + Im sick of looking for ICO!

cursedseishi:

Quiet Stranger:

Curious as well, I can't find anything about the European ending on youtube or gamefaqs, and nothing on Wiki either.

I think its the melon ending on ico. it was only in the PAL regions.

Brok3n Halo:
Um, Escapist, you're doing it wrong. I'm not sure if in this case "it" is "knowing the facts" or "knowing the definition of HD." I can only assume you meant the polygon count wasn't increased because the games are definitely displayed at HD resolutions as reported by all the other sites I've seen cover this (Joystiq, IGN, and Kotaku come to mind), as well as Famitsu. Now if that means 720p or 1080p IDK but I'd guess 720p based off other similar collections. Also you can tell by looking at the fullsize screenshots of the two games. Definitely way over SD for SotC and way way over the sub SD quality of Ico. Seriously, I think that game displayed at 320x240 originally, it was awful on my 50" plasma.

Yeah I'm sure I'd heard of it running in at least 720p. I am confused now.

Brok3n Halo:

Yeah, it sounds like a mistranslation somehow. Maybe the screenshots are upconverted screen grabs? Unlikely, I know. The escapist is just wrong, unless they got an exclusive.

inkblood:
I really want to get it, but the idea of trophies
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_196/5942-A-Break-in-Immersion

You can turn off the trophy *ding* on the Ps3 menu, no need to worry.

Quiet Stranger:

I think, in all seriousness, it just has a squirrel in it. Nothing major.

Anyway, FUCK YES! I have Shadow of the Collosus, but I have yet to play Ico, so I am so psyched for this! I'm gonna buy the fuck out of this!

Wait why is the colossus green? Shouldn't it be black? If they are all different colours in the game I will be very disappointed, they looked perfect how they were, no need to change them. In fact the colossi had the best quality, Wander, Argo and some other things needed some better texturing and the frame rate of course.

I'm fanboy enough to get them both for PS3 as well. This is excellent news.

Oh, yes. Absolutely. Can't wait. I'll finally get around to playing Ico!

For clarity about the ending, there's nothing special beyond it being a sort of easter egg. There's a sort of joke ending, where you can find watermelon in the ending sequence and get a more comical scene instead of the standard one. As for Shadow of the Colossus, as some may know, the PAL version added a squirrel. Why? Probably just for the hell of it.

In any case, I'm happy to see that this is really happening. I loved these games, and it makes my heart soar to know both titles will finally be getting another chance to shine. One other thing I'm hopeful for is that maybe we'll finally get a translation of the Japanese only novel based on ICO, "Castle in the Mist".

Please, everyone who has also shown interest in that book, show your support! Let's get that book brought over!

Will ICO have the lightsaber?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here