Voltron Movie Concept Art Beats Transformers By a Mile

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Voltron Movie Concept Art Beats Transformers By a Mile

Anyone that loved or hated the Transformers movies should take a gander at where Voltron could be headed.

The Transformers movies were well done and all, but something about them just didn't speak to my inner geek. The one movie with the chance to take a new run at that geek is the upcoming Voltron live-action film, for which recently revealed concept art looks amazing.

Movie website JoBlo recieved the exclusive images, which hopefully show the true art direction the movie will go in. It's sort of like the Transformers movies, but the art retains the colorful look of the robots it's based on. Take a peek.

Voltron was based on a Japanese animation series and released in North America in the early 1980s. It follows the pilots of five differently colored robotic lions that have the ability to merge together to form a more powerful humanoid robot named Voltron. One forms the torso, while the others form the arms and legs.

Along with Thundercats and He-Man, Voltron was a staple of 1980s cartoons and a revival called Voltron Force is a brand new series that will be hitting televisions this year. We'll have to wait a lot longer for the live-action movie, Voltron: Defender of the Universe, said to possibly be scheduled for 2013, but Atlas Entertainment is hoping to get things moving with a pitch that uses this art.

The franchise's robot lions look amazing and are shown battling a vicious enemy in the ruined remains of New York. I think we all know that robots are cool, but gigantic robotic animals that merge into humanoid robots are much cooler. Now if the Voltron movie can just follow this art direction, and bring the world the next Megan Fox too, it'll be golden.

Source: JoBlo, via G4

Oh my. Those are some rather nice pieces.

looks good. I predict Movie bob anger for this. I might see this movie though.

All I have to say is I want this to come out sooner. I would rather that it bring in a hot girl that can act than a hot girl that cannot though.

My anticipation for Gatchaman has been blown out of the water.

I am not familiar with Voltron, so allow me to say 'what the fuck is that'.

Yeah, despite not being familiar with Voltron, my inherent love of giant robot battles in crowded urban centers caused me to make this face when I saw it.image

lol hopefully they do a space one if this one makes bank, since i got the entire space voltron set somewhere.

Oh my. Those look rather nice.

Hopefully it won't follow in the same footsteps as Transformers.

There is gonna be a Voltron movie?
There is gonna be a Voltron movie....
THERE IS GONNA BE A VOLTRON MOVIE!

HELLLLLLLZ YEAAAAAAAA!

Oh God my childhood if bombarding my mind right now.
Those pics look AMAZING!

"Form feet and Legs!"
*Gashunk! Gashunk!*
"Form Arms and Body!*
*Verrchk! Verrchk!*
"AND ILL FORM THE HEAD!"

Looks pretty sweet, even though I barely know of Voltron.

Let's hope it doesn't suck. And let's hope Michael Bay doesn't have anything to do with it.

silver wolf009:

3...2...1...nerd rage, engaged *RRRRRRRRAGGGEWEEEEEEEEE BAD MOVIE IS BAD*

OT: those look fucking awesome, i never watched voltron but ill be sure to give it a go when it comes out

Awesome concept art. Really cool-awesome concept art. As for the entire plot and setting? Meh.

Never really got into Voltron... not on TV here.
Curious though. Who's directing etc?

...Now, they look awesome! I want!

Nice concept art. Wonder if the real deal will be as intensely amazing.

Ekonk:
I am not familiar with Voltron, so allow me to say 'what the fuck is that'.

Imagine Transformers, now imagine if five of them were animals that transform into a bad-ass robot ala Power Rangers style and beat the shit out of the monster of the week.

the original cartoon is pretty lame compared to what we have now, but its practically the sample of 1980's anime.

it has a giant robot, an evil person wanting to takeover/destroy a planet said robot defends, five spunky pilots which for some reason are the only ones who can pilot the lions, and of course....... the animal sidekicks...........

though, if I remember right, Voltron took place on a different planet entirely, though earth was referenced a few times; Im worried with these pictures of the New York landscape, someone important on this movie forgot that.

well... colored me surprised, this looks awesome!

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL.... er... i mean.... thunder... Thunder... THUNDER.... er...

whatever, im in 4 voltron

I've been proved wrong.

There is a god.

And he likes Voltron.

Seeing this opening night for sure.

Can anyone tell me why they are on earth? What happen to Arus?

silver wolf009:

More like trepidation at this point. But he's right--if they decide to set this on present-day Earth, I have little interest in seeing it. I've seen enough desecration of my childhood lately, thanks.

If you told me that Micheal Bay was directing it I would go crawl into a corner and cry. But I looks great, can't wait.

silver wolf009:

I have my doubts about that. He's spoken pretty highly of Japanese products in the few times he has mentioned them.

Ruining it by putting in in the "real world" aside being better than transformers is easy doing better than it....not so much....

I know very little about Voltron. That being said, this looks like one I'm going to have to catch. Giant robot lions? Let's do this thing.

O_O

I am so going to see this!!

I'm sorry NO!

That is ugly, what is with these 'updated' mecha designs which are aesthetically disgusting and just plain wrong. You can argue realism but Voltron is a SUPER ROBOT it would be like trying to apply logic to Superman it just doesn't work. And you can argue that it seems like it's more plausible but it's a COMBINING GIANT ROBOT.

No you want Mecha design, like GOOD updated Mecha?

try Gaiking

And here's the original

Do you see how that is both A. Nostalgic and B. Badass?

Sure it loses the color and I despise that I'm a big retro-robot fan, but the design is still good and I can live with losing a bit of red.

Those things... okay Rule 1, when designs a giant fighting machine that already stretches the realm of believable, don't make it with GAPS IN IT'S FRAGGING ARMOR! It would be like being in a fight with your skin gone and your insides exposed "Please hit me real hard in my obvious weak point" and when the obvious weak point is all over your body, we have reached a new low.

I'm sorry but no matter how much you try to justify the giant robot being plausible I will not buy it, so stop trying to make it believable and go back to doing this.

And this

Hell the only thing wrong about the Gaiking movie is it has NOTHING TO DO WITH GAIKING WHAT SO EVER Not the original manga, anime or the sequel revival :Legend of Daiku Maryu

And if you don't believe me still, look at the live action concept art for Evangelion

See how they LOOK LIKE EVANGELIONS?! not something I said "Hey lets strip armor from our war machine"

Gigaguy64:

HELLLLLLLZ YEAAAAAAAA!

Those pics look AMAZING!

"Form feet and Legs!"
*Gashunk! Gashunk!*
"Form Arms and Body!*
*Verrchk! Verrchk!*
"AND ILL FORM THE HEAD!"

*nerdgasm*

vanthebaron:

Gigaguy64:

HELLLLLLLZ YEAAAAAAAA!

Those pics look AMAZING!

"Form feet and Legs!"
*Gashunk! Gashunk!*
"Form Arms and Body!*
*Verrchk! Verrchk!*
"AND ILL FORM THE HEAD!"

*nerdgasm*

up until most of the focus is on the entirely recast pilots as soldiers in a special military unit, a romantic sub plot, no fleshing out of the villains and the robots in the movie for what 10 minutes at the end?

EDIT: And boy you can forget that battle cry, it will be "Initiate Voltron Sequence" if your lucky

This looks pretty cool, and the important thing is that Michael Bay has nothing to do with it, at least for now. (Fingers crossed!)

Oh god this is going to be amazing. I hope people do not write it off as a "Transformers Ripoff"

It's a big world. Go someplace other than New York. That city has been done to death.

But who am I kidding? I'd go see this in a heartbeat.

These pics somewhat remind of the Evangelion movie project, which I'm now guessing is never going to happen.

Anyway, I don't think I ever watched Voltron, so this doesn't really mean much to me unfortunately.

Tom Goldman:
The franchise's robot lions look amazing and are shown battling a viscous enemy in the ruined remains of New York.

Still, battling a viscous enemy. That'll be interesting to watch, at least. :)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here