Voltron Movie Concept Art Beats Transformers By a Mile

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

theaceplaya:
It's a big world. Go someplace other than New York. That city has been done to death.

But who am I kidding? I'd go see this in a heartbeat.

What's the bets the events centre around the 4th of July too?

Pictures look good, but, that means nothing. Transformers had some pretty cool shots before the movies came out, so this could very easily do the same thing.

Hopefully this will involve less flashing lights and accompanying seizures, or I'd be smelling a massive lawsuit...

SpaceMedarotterX:

vanthebaron:

Gigaguy64:
There is gonna be a Voltron movie?
There is gonna be a Voltron movie....
THERE IS GONNA BE A VOLTRON MOVIE!

HELLLLLLLZ YEAAAAAAAA!

Oh God my childhood if bombarding my mind right now.
Those pics look AMAZING!

"Form feet and Legs!"
*Gashunk! Gashunk!*
"Form Arms and Body!*
*Verrchk! Verrchk!*
"AND ILL FORM THE HEAD!"

*nerdgasm*

up until most of the focus is on the entirely recast pilots as soldiers in a special military unit, a romantic sub plot, no fleshing out of the villains and the robots in the movie for what 10 minutes at the end?

EDIT: And boy you can forget that battle cry, it will be "Initiate Voltron Sequence" if your lucky

sad but true

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the monster!

Does that not look about 10x more badass than that aborted alien puppy from Cloverfield?

Maybe Americans just can't MAKE giant monster/robot movies.

--Micheal Bay sure as hell can't.

Kalezian:

Ekonk:
I am not familiar with Voltron, so allow me to say 'what the fuck is that'.

Imagine Transformers, now imagine if five of them were animals that transform into a bad-ass robot ala Power Rangers style and beat the shit out of the monster of the week.

the original cartoon is pretty lame compared to what we have now, but its practically the sample of 1980's anime.

it has a giant robot, an evil person wanting to takeover/destroy a planet said robot defends, five spunky pilots which for some reason are the only ones who can pilot the lions, and of course....... the animal sidekicks...........

though, if I remember right, Voltron took place on a different planet entirely, though earth was referenced a few times; Im worried with these pictures of the New York landscape, someone important on this movie forgot that.

So Beasties?

It will beat Transformers designs if they don't do the one thing that fucked up the Transformers designs and that is aim for realism on the designs. Robert Orci told me in a chat once that the reason they designed the robots like they did was because they couldn't cross their arms across their chests. When I asked why they needed to do that he said they had a scene in mind where Megatron does that.

The scene was never done.

So because they had one little 2 second clip in mind we didn't get the iconic looks of the robots and (in my opinion) the movie suffered because inmstead of each character looking different and having a personality they all looked like bugs.

Though I'm not a fan, Michael Bay had access to boatloads of money, so I don't know if it's going to be possible to out-tech him. These shots above are art - when they get realized in movie CG format I'm betting they're either the same as Transformers or different [for the sake of being different] in an inferior way.

For the love of god no, NOT another Megan Fox. nonononononononono

Please Nostalgia... don't let anybody down, they were already crushed by Transformers... and Voltron actually has an edge over it, having humans around actually makes some sense.

Necromancer1991:
If you told me that Micheal Bay was directing it I would go crawl into a corner and cry. But I looks great, can't wait.

I'd think we'd all cry, mate. We'd all cry.

OT: Looks pretty decent, actually. Intend to stay in tune on this one..

Does he have...a robot dog...for an arm. Even though I never was really bothered about Voltron this looks pretty awesome.

Am I the only one who's disappointed that it's going to take place on Earth? Instead of an alien planet like in the cartoon?

I fully expect hollywood to fuck up everything they possibly can with this but eh with Transformers, Dragonball and Speed Racer being the bar of standard to overcome its not like it could be worse than those... maybe.

Wonder what happened to the Ghost in the Shell movie Spielberg is supposedly working on, or Camerons take on Battle Angel Alita for that matter. Come to think of it I'm sure their was a Robotech movie being made too.

Dont hype yourselves up, its going to bomb and suck, and heres why: Its being made by Hollywood. That alone should worry many of you, as what has Hollywood ever done right with videogames, anime, comics, and such? The only reason most of the Marvel movies turned out good was because they were headed by part of Marvel, and were able to prevent the perversion of their characters.

SpaceMedarotterX:

I'm sorry NO!

-snip

Like he said, the design is all wrong, but to me, thats unimportant, cause while most of us can pick out the weaknesses, the badguys are complete fuckwads. Im predicting that their uniforms are going to be designed so as to make it acceptable for the female teammember to appear almost completely naked, something like the new green lantern design. And that just the most obvious, I could go on but I would rather not think about it... this was my childhood thats being destroyed here...

Voltron sucked.

You can polish shit until it gleams, but it's still shit.

Shoulda been the megazord ...

Anyway It looks sweet, and I'm glad they didn't pull the Bay crap of trying to realistically justify giant robots. They're impractical and fantastical by nature. With the exception of the EVAs and early Gundams. Hopefully we'll see a trend In movies of super robots.

... which makes me pray to god we see a Megas XLR flick, I dig giant robots.

ImprovizoR:
Let's hope it doesn't suck. And let's hope Michael Bay doesn't have anything to do with it.

Yeah, he already has a robot series, so here's to hoping he won't go for another one. xD

All in all, I did not get to see a lot of Voltron when I was a kid, maybe once or twice but I really enjoyed it. Those pictures look juicy and damn amazing, so I want it to be awesome!

I just hope they don't set it on Earth.

The concept art and such look amazing. It has my interest, lets see how this turns out.

That's not Voltron.

It looks a bit spikey, Voltron had this knight in armor look to it. A bit more solid, still, those designs, especially for the Lions look kick ass.

No... NO! I can't unsee it!

Orange and teal.
Orange and teal.
Orange and fucking teal.

NO NO NO NO NO FREAKING NOOOO!!!!!

Hollywood why do you continue to rape my childhood?

ITS...Its.. Its...beautiful

Wow that looks good.

Concept art proves nothing unfortunately.

HeySeansOnline:

Anyway It looks sweet, and I'm glad they didn't pull the Bay crap of trying to realistically justify giant robots. They're impractical and fantastical by nature. With the exception of the EVAs and early Gundams. Hopefully we'll see a trend In movies of super robots.

Megazo...! ugh *facepalm*

Voltron is the original "Megazord"; before there even was a "Power Rangers" (who already have at least 2 shitty movies, tyvm. they don't need another).

OT: Looks like it could be good, but the destruction of "Transformers" has me (and apparently a number of Escapists) skeptical.

But... New York? hasn't that city been through enough? If you MUST move an outer space-/alien world-based giant robot here to Earth... why not destroy Tokyo (no they've been through enough too, damn you Godzilla!), Toronto, London, Sydney... Surely there are other equally iconic Earth cities to blow up with giant robots battling titanic space aliens?

It's images like this we WANT to see...

It what we would PAY to see and pay to see four more times...

But it never seems to what we get, and what we get I admit i have no seen a movie more than once in a theater in a long long time...

2xDouble:
[quote="HeySeansOnline" post="7.232992.8209331"]Shoulda been the megazord ...

Voltron is the original "Megazord"; before there even was a "Power Rangers" (who already have at least 2 shitty movies, tyvm. they don't need another).

[quote]

Please don't take this as me being a prick. But I think combining mecha gos back to Liveman, a sentai (japanese power rangers) series. Go Lion (Japanese Voltron) being either slightly before or after It. Regardless of which came first I always liked the megazord because It actually transformed. Even though Voltron kicks ass it's still fold legs fold head up for legs, flip down head.

HeySeansOnline:

2xDouble:

HeySeansOnline:

Please don't take this as me being a prick. But I think combining mecha gos back to Liveman, a sentai (japanese power rangers) series. Go Lion (Japanese Voltron) being either slightly before or after It. Regardless of which came first I always liked the megazord because It actually transformed. Even though Voltron kicks ass it's still fold legs fold head up for legs, flip down head.

*shrug* Maybe. Wouldn't surprise me if there were live-action shows before the Voltron cartoons. Still... I think we can all agree there is some decent potential (key word) here for a good-ish movie.

2xDouble:

HeySeansOnline:

2xDouble:

HeySeansOnline:

*shrug* Maybe. Wouldn't surprise me if there were live-action shows before the Voltron cartoons. Still... I think we can all agree there is some decent potential (key word) here for a good-ish movie.

True enough, I'm stil excited though, hopefully we'll get campy references to space coffins and I'll form the head. But everyone can agree giant robots rock.

The pics do indeed look great.. But personally, Voltron? Really? It was so awful and not even in a so awful its awesome sort of way. Just my opinion, but I really cant see a live action Voltron film doing very well in the US.

As awesome as it looks, I'm old enough to remember Voltron, but it wasn't my thing as a kid.

I'm still waiting for The Vision of Escaflowne movie.

It has everything you could ask for an americanized well made movie. It has a very influenced european look, it has lots of antropomorphic humanoids, wich they mostly look human more than animal (close to Avatar's cat-men), it has an engrossing, epic and amazing story about a war between nations, vengance and love, it has dragons, an evil tyrant in control of a super powered nation, hot chicks as protagonists, amazing battle sequences, an epic soundtrack that's orchestrated with gregorian chants and all, and last but not least, amazing giant robots with huge swords.

If given the chance and if it's well made, it could be made akin to The Lord of The Rings, it even has enough source material to make it a trilogy.

...No. I refuse to believe something that awesome exists. If I did believe they were going to look like that then I would cry tears of joy.

That's some gorgeous concept art, but I'm not going to assume that the film will be good, especialy after the "bayformer" films.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here