Voltron Movie Concept Art Beats Transformers By a Mile

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Did no one else notice that his arms were on the wrong sides?

chozo_hybrid:
It looks a bit spikey, Voltron had this knight in armor look to it. A bit more solid, still, those designs, especially for the Lions look kick ass.

Voltron would have to go through a redesign, theres no way the Voltron in the cartoon would work as a CGI model. The animated version could do all sorts of things because it didn;t have to worry about collision detection and clipping. But yeah, the Lions do look bitchin.

Who needs Voltron when you have Titan Maximum?

So they're basically the Power Rangers, but more focused on the mechs?

OH MY GOD VOLTRON!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

WAY better one of the problems with the Transformers designs is that they where re-designed to look realistic wich transformers arent these llok way better and mroe like Super Robots

FallenJellyDoughnut:

lol like there's a difference...

I beg your pardon? Why the FUCK would we want the next Megan Fox?!

This could be OK, as long as they can find a director with even the slightest modicum of talent who doesn't openly hate the property. You know, someone who ISN'T Michael Bay, hint hint.

FallenJellyDoughnut:

No. You know TVtropes exist you can just punch somethings name into it and get your info.

Like Xabungle or Dancouga

[inside joke]The only thing that matters about Voltron is how dreamy they make Prince Lotor.
[/inside joke]

Beats? It looks like its in the exact same vein as the Transformers films.

Voltron was not a good show in the first place. I doubt if transporting it to Earth and New York City from some weird space planet will improve it.

hittite:
Yeah, despite not being familiar with Voltron, my inherent love of giant robot battles in crowded urban centers caused me to make this face when I saw it.image

Ekonk:
I am not familiar with Voltron, so allow me to say 'what the fuck is that'.

Five lion robots are piloted by five kids. Whenever the enemy is too great for the lions to handle (which is basically all of the time), they join together to form Voltron (like that one Power Rangers robot). Then they just kill everything, because Voltron is awesome.

So this blows away the transformers artwork by having the exact same problem of overly busy, nonsensical jaggeys and details? Well yeah you're right, it is less of the suck, but the suck is still there. Psst hollywood, detail machines with mechanisms, not modern art. With any luck it won't get the "Bay Treatment" but I'm not holding my breath....

Also... new york... again, guys, lets blow something else up.

It looks awful. Seriously. How did we go from this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.comicbooknoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/voltron.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.comicbooknoise.com/2010/01/28/the-trip-voltron/&usg=__GMIqDR63OkkMg3LEPYoTOZOPk58=&h=603&w=364&sz=46&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=NiUHhRpvSNliFM:&tbnh=161&tbnw=97&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvoltron%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den-us%26biw%3D1439%26bih%3D850%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=130&vpy=79&dur=509&hovh=289&hovw=174&tx=116&ty=142&ei=7NSUTNKJJYG78gaeqrWNDA&oei=7NSUTNKJJYG78gaeqrWNDA&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

To a shitty ripoff of the even shittier transformer movies? Honestly hollywood, people have suspension of disbelief. You don't have to go around making everything look hyperrealistic. Do you think anyone wants a movie like this?

In the 1950's, researchers in New Mexico decided to outsource their nuclear weapons testing to the alaskan forests in secret. Over the years, the radiation has genetically mutated the wildlife there, giving them heinous scars on their torsos, and giving them human emotions. Now, 5 of these animals are about to take revenge that should have been taken a long time ago...

This summer...

GET.
READY.
TO.
CARE.

Care Bears: The Movie

Is New York the most hated city in the world? It seems to always be the epicentre of monster attacks, disasters or any number of things worthy of hero attentions. Followed closely by LA of course. I'd boycott films that are set in New York, but then I'd probably only see one or two films in the next decade.

They look like desktop wallpapers. I'm not very impressed. Drawing nice concept art really doesn't mean anything besides some artist has a mad skills. I never really got drooling over concept work anyways.

I would have liked Transformers more is Shia LeBeouf wasn't involved. Or Michal Bay for that matter.

That said...I sooooooo want to see this. After all, giant robots are fucking awesome!

I'm not digging the images, personally.

I'd rather have a Zoids live action movie. Anyone with me?

If the movie looks that good and has a good director I would see that in a heartbeat.

Tom Goldman:

the ruined remains of New York.

Yet again.. does anone have a count of just how many times this fucking place has been destroyed in movies over the past two decades?

The Alien looks good but Bob is going to shit a kidney about the design of Voltron.

I just need everybody to know that I have a new wallpaper for my desktop.

And I had to move all my icons around.

And I'm fairly certain said movie will rape my childhood happy place.

Although I'd really want to be wrong about that 3rd one.

edit:
Please forces up on high, make this movie about robots, not puny humans

Meh.

That looks awesome and all, but it also seems to be showing a lack of respect for the property itself. Good visuals and similar looking Mecha isn't what is going to make it Voltron.

To be honest, for all insults aimed at Michael Bay, he did more or less keep the central concepts of "Transformers" intact. Even the human-drama elements had some equivilents in the cartoons and various spin offs. While he took great liberties with some of the characters, and condensed a lot of the plot points, the basic elements of the Robots fighting it out on earth with a few trusted humans at their side was kept intact.

Voltron in comparison does not take place on or around Earth if I remember correctly, none of the battles should be taking place in a shattered New York City. It's equivilent to say trying to re-define Star Wars so Corsucant is Earth or something, when the entire Drama takes place "in a galaxy far, far away".

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that some of the protaganists are Space Explorers who were massively off course from Earth, who happen to throw in with the Princess of a somewhat Utopian planet that had more or less forsaken violence that was facing attack, and along with her form the closest thing that the planet has to warriors so they are the ones who wind up piloting the Guardian robot "Voltron" in response to the threats.

I'm probably somewhat close at least...

At any rate, if they just take something that looks sort of Voltron-like for the robot FX, and then remove everything else, that's just stupid. That's not a nerd-gasm, nostolgia, or anything else... that's just plain wrong. Exploiting the "Voltron" name and nothing more. If they are going to take those kinds of conceptual liberties, they might as well just create a live action giant-mech drama from whole cloth and be original right from the start. The end result would probably be better overall.

digotw:

Tom Goldman:

the ruined remains of New York.

Yet again.. does anone have a count of just how many times this fucking place has been destroyed in movies over the past two decades?

It's been going on for longer than two decades I believe. >:)

I think it largely comes down to New York City being the most important city in the world. The USA is a service and trade based power, and most of the globe's finances go through Wall Street (whether people like it or not, and various attempts to change this have so far failed). It also has one of the most impressive natural harbours in the world, and while there are cities that see more sea traffic, oddly most of that Sea Traffic still winds up going there as either a start point or a destination.

People will doubtlessly try and argue this, but in this case this isn't even me trying to exude intentional American Arrogance. At least for the moment (and for the last few decades) losing New York would do unparalleled damage to the entire globe, even the Eastern World. The amount of information and administration that goes through there alone would cause that. The US is the world's information hub, and New York is perhaps the biggest nerve center. Many other cities like LA, Hong Kong, London, Tokyo, etc... would have global shockwaves if they were leveled, but New York City is in a league of it's own.

The point being that if your doing a movie and want to show a really bad thing for the world, New York City being leveled (or having been leveled) is something anyone will understand. It has intantly recognizable meaning, as well as perhaps the world's most recognized city landmarks and skyline.

If you were to say show a movie of Hong Kong in ruins to some guy in Central America for example he's unlikely to recognize the city just on site even if some of it's bigger landmarks were shown, nor is he likely to get the same kind of understanding from the metaphor. With New York you don't even nessicarly need to tell someone specifically where it is, it's that recognizable. Take that same arguement and make the guy from Central America a guy from Europe, Asia, or anywhere else. New York is probably the world's most recognizable city overall. I suppose Paris (if you show the Eiffel Tower) and London (if you show Big Ben or Buckingham Palace) are probably close as well, but while large and important (with massive numbers of people) neither are quite as central to the world as a whole as New York City (though that might change if the trade war goes in the right directions and Wall Street collapses to be replaced by the European Common Market for example, but even so that will take decades to sink into the popular global consciousness).

New York is pretty much the "go to" location for anything big, and a lot of people make fun of it for that reason as well since the jokes almost write themselves. :)

I saw it, it's a lion it's huge!

Ah, brings back memories of Cloverfield when everyone thought it was a Voltron movie. I've never actually seen anything of Voltron. But I've heard of it all over the place. So I'll definitely check out the movie when it comes out. It just seems cool, anyway.

The pics worry me. I dont know much of Voltron really...but why does it look like its set in our modern day? Isnt Voltron all future space stuff with plenty of aliens?

Never heard of Voltron, looks cool. Reminds me of Zoids.

Hm, never seen Voltron but this looks like it's going to be everything Transformers wasn't. [It might have just been me, but the majority of that movie was action. Normally this wouldn't be that bad, the problem being the action was hard to watch and you had to pay close attention to see what the hell was happening].

I am going to go into my kitchen now. From my various utensils of cookery I shall elect a blade, a big knife.

Then I shall go to Hollywood. And there and I shall discover just who it is that continues to make these god-awful adaptations of already established franchises.

Then I shall gut them like the miserable dogs that they are. And I shall drink their blood.

I sincerely hopes this becomes a box office failure.

RougeWaveform:
[inside joke]The only thing that matters about Voltron is how dreamy they make Prince Lotor.
[/inside joke]

Ah, Lotor. Drizzt Do'Urden for the younger set. I wonder if they'll actually do Sven from the TV show, or if it will be Princess Allura from the start.

The Transformation sequence:

2xDouble:

HeySeansOnline:
Shoulda been the megazord ...

Anyway It looks sweet, and I'm glad they didn't pull the Bay crap of trying to realistically justify giant robots. They're impractical and fantastical by nature. With the exception of the EVAs and early Gundams. Hopefully we'll see a trend In movies of super robots.

... which makes me pray to god we see a Megas XLR flick, I dig giant robots.

Megazo...! ugh *facepalm*

Voltron is the original "Megazord"; before there even was a "Power Rangers" (who already have at least 2 shitty movies, tyvm. they don't need another).

OT: Looks like it could be good, but the destruction of "Transformers" has me (and apparently a number of Escapists) skeptical.

But... New York? hasn't that city been through enough? If you MUST move an outer space-/alien world-based giant robot here to Earth... why not destroy Tokyo (no they've been through enough too, damn you Godzilla!), Toronto, London, Sydney... Surely there are other equally iconic Earth cities to blow up with giant robots battling titanic space aliens?

Wait wait wait are you telling me THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW80K11nfn4&feature=related is bad?! It has sky diving and 90's clothing! Not to mention an exploding title!

SpaceMedarotterX:

FallenJellyDoughnut:

No. You know TVtropes exist you can just punch somethings name into it and get your info.

Well, the method of production is excactly the same as Power Rangers.
Both are based on edited footage from Japanese shows, mixed with a few original scenes and a new story.

Staskala:

SpaceMedarotterX:

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Well, the method of production is excactly the same as Power Rangers.
Both are based on edited footage from Japanese shows, mixed with a few original scenes and a new story.

Except he wasn't asking how they were made, he was asking what the plot was about. so telling him that it was another product of the Carl Mackek school of stupidity which rides solely on its nostalgia wouldn't have done him any fragging good

Wait, Transformers was "well done"? What the fuck?

All fine and dandy but this is concept art, nothing more. The way from concept art to final product is like playing a Grapevine game, or whatever you call it these days. All the limitations that come further down the line of producing usually make end product look nothing like the concept art. Much easier to draw fancy stuff than recreate it in live/3d environment.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here