Cataclysm Adds Plants vs. Zombies Minigame to WoW

Cataclysm Adds Plants vs. Zombies Minigame to WoW

The unholy matrimony of PopCap and Blizzard continues with a "Peacebloom vs. Ghouls" minigame found in the newest World of Warcraft expansion.

Last year at BlizzCon, I noticed that the movers and shakers at Irvine-based PC developer Blizzard seemed more than a little fond of PopCap's brilliant Plants vs. Zombies. As it turns out, Blizzard's love for PvZ extends far enough for the developer to essentially recreate the puzzle/tower defense game in World of Warcraft.

The above video details a new minigame found in the Hillsbrad Foothills, where players are asked to defend a farmhouse from remnants of the undead Scourge. Instead of using swords and sorcery this time around, though, you're using ... plants.

Yes, the quest is called "Peacebloom vs. Ghouls," and its influences are, shall we say, more than obvious.

Even if the minigame only has five different types of plants, from what I can see, this WoW-ized version of Plants vs. Zombies is incredibly faithful to PopCap's original - so much so that it's not unreasonable to think that PopCap actually had a hand in creating the thing. Given that the two companies have worked together before (with a WoW-themed version of Peggle and official PopCap-produced Peggle and Bejeweled addons), it's likely that PopCap was at least on board as a consulting partner.

And yes, after you've beaten the quest there is a repeatable version - complete with Achievements. Oh Blizzard and PopCap, why must you tempt me so?

(RockPaperShotgun)

I believe one of the ENN episodes said it best. Don't mix a drug with another. Do it with like rice kripies or something

Epic...Win...

Damn it, i don't play it any more, but this...this is so hard for me ='( *Sniffle*

Excuse me for a moment, I need to boot up my beta client so I can waste my afternoon playing this minigame.

Oh and if I'm not back after a day or so, I ran out of lawnmowers.

An addiction within an addiction...

The only thing worse would be if they mixed it with Minecraft. And then Puzzle Quest. And then the Escapist forums. And then TV Tropes.

Im not sure if this is a good or bad thing...

Wow, now I never have to leave Azeroth... I... am... lost.

My god. My. Dear. God.

PvZ in WoW is just overkill. Addictive, awesome, overkill.

This is going to be the most popular area. Period.

I see where people get the "WoW doesn't do anything original" statements from...

Blizzard&Popcap = The biggest cartels dealing gamercrack to the masses.

The guy doing commentary on that video has such a recognizable voice xD

I listened to his WoW radio thing for like 2 days about 3 or 4 years ago when i played WoW and i still recognized him easily.

Heh Love TotalBuscuit's Videos. And I did know this was going to happen but I'm pleasantly surprised how well it handles.

Those crying Unoriginal. Anything at it's root is unoriginal. Get over yourself.

Cingal:
I see where people get the "WoW doesn't do anything original" statements from...

They don't really try to, nor do they even have to at this point. They just do those things better than anyone else.

In other news, THIS is going to kill more raids than any nerf, ever. Bejeweled killed our MT more than once when Naxx10 and Ulduar were still new!

It's called "Peacebloom vs. Ghouls", and he said they are not zombies, but at 1:37 it still says "A massive wave of zombies is approaching". Hmm...

Love the guys name, Total buscuit.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like addictive games..."

I thought they already did this in Sholazar basin, Blizzard, have you no shame?

Onyx Oblivion:
An addiction within an addiction...

The only thing worse would be if they mixed it with Minecraft. And then Puzzle Quest. And then the Escapist forums. And then TV Tropes.

Hell, just adding in Minecraft would be cool. WoW needs a lot more customization in it, and hell, maybe adding Puzzle Quest would add more variety to the end-game (i miss Karahzans chest event...), and with the Escapist Forum, at least there would be more of a community than what I've seen.

Kinda cute, heh. Might as well ride the success! I sure wouldnt mind havign a go at it!

This is a dangerous, delicious combination in gaming.

Damn it... I'm so hooked to Lord of The Rings Online... but I still thrive to play WoW again... and now Blizz come with this... I really DO need to get a new job ASAP.

In a near distant future:

Interest in Plants vs Zombies has risen by over 100%...

I knew it was and now I can finally try it >.> (uhoh..)

Well at least we can break up the sticky slow of 85 -> Heroics -> Raiding

Curse you blizzard for enticing me with the delicious pvz. Just when I thought I was free of your control. DAMN YOU BLIZZARD!! *cue dramatic music*

No, I need to avert my eyes. I can't get sucked back in! -goes into fetal position-

Its true the engine is too old

It almost seems necessary: The Fun Addictive Game to distract you from the Boring Addictive Game you were playing.

You have got to be kidding me! They have finally gone it, they have cut the cocaine that is WoW with the heroine that is PvZ // Some people may never see may never see the light of day again!

-M

lol, one of TB's videos made the escapist.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here