Donkey Kong World Record Reclaimed by the Nice Guy

Donkey Kong World Record Reclaimed by the Nice Guy

Steve Wiebe has once again stolen the Donkey Kong crown from his sinister, sheen-haired rival.

The Donkey Kong high score is back in the hands of everyman Steve Wiebe, and all is right with the world. The battle made famous in The King of Kong has raged since the movie's credits rolled, with Wiebe seeming to falter at the hands of his rival and a newcomer, but now he's back on top.

After challenger Hank Chien once jumped between Wiebe and arch-nemesis Billy Mitchell's back-and-forth for the Donkey Kong high score, Mitchell took Chien down in early August. Despite many popularized attempts to jump back into the game since 2007, Wiebe was having a rough go at it.

Until now. Twin Galaxies just announced that Steve Wiebe has beaten Mitchell's previous world record Donkey Kong score of 1,062,800 with a point total of 1,064,500. He played the game all summer, and just before having to return to school - where he works as a teacher - Wiebe put together a world record game.

Anyone that has seen King of Kong knows that Mitchell comes off as, well, a bit of a dick. Wiebe is portrayed as the underdog, nice guy challenger that always seems to come out of nowhere, and he's certainly played into that role once again with the new record.

I swear, I'll never tire of the Donkey Kong competitive scene after seeing the masterpiece that is King of Kong. But to Hank Chien: just stay out of this okay? This good versus evil rivalry doesn't need a third wheel gumming up the works (I'm kidding, do what you like).

Tom Goldman:
Twin Galaxies just announced that Steve Wiebe has beaten Mitchell's previous world record Donkey Kong score of 1,062,800 with a point total of 1,064,500.

That's really close, score-wise. I'm guessing that he lost focus after beating the record, since it wasn't that necessary to keep playing well anymore.

Awesome. I'm really glad to hear this. Like you say, Mitchell did come off like a dick... well, more like a pompous asshole, and I'm just glad that anyone besides him has the high score. It being Wiebe is even better. "The King of Kong" was far more interesting and exciting than I thought it would be, but the ending was such a downer... this is more like it.

talking about pompous assholes ahem... (just kidding)

TEAM WIEBE!!!

congrats dude, you waisted another summer of your life.

Go Wiebe, piss off Mitchell

Congrats once again Wiebe! Also I did not know he was a teacher, probably told once and forgot but that is cool.

Sadly, it probably won't take Mitchell too long to beat that. He always seems to get it back rather quickly.

Queen Michael:

Tom Goldman:
Twin Galaxies just announced that Steve Wiebe has beaten Mitchell's previous world record Donkey Kong score of 1,062,800 with a point total of 1,064,500.

That's really close, score-wise. I'm guessing that he lost focus after beating the record, since it wasn't that necessary to keep playing well anymore.

Kill screen. After he beat it he probably got the kill screen.

OT: I saw king of kong when i was bored one night. Mitchell was such a D-Bag. Glad to see he lost his title.

Well, I suppose if he has nothing better to do with his time...heh

Congrats to Mr. Wiebe! I am assuming that he did the same thing that Mitchell did, once he beat the score he just stopped there. Mitchell said when he reclaimed the record that he could have gotten a higher score, but it wasn't about blowing past the record, just re-claiming it.

I am hoping to read more about their epic battle as the months go by.

Hooray for Wiebe! Now what I want to know is how many more times can they break the record before it becomes immposible?

esperandote:

It would have been funnier if you did this.

Go Wiebe!!! You're the man, keep Mitchell down!

Oh, it is ON like DONKEY KONG! I swear, one of these days Mitchell's going to go Super Saiyan out of pure rage just so that he can hold this record indefinitely.

Tom Goldman:

Anyone that has seen King of Kong knows that Mitchell comes off as, well, a bit of a dick.

That's a bit of an understatement. The guy was such a villain he deserved his own evil theme music. Nice to know good has triumphed, for now.

Billy the Dick gets ousted by Wiebe the Wise as King of Kong? Righteous.

You, Mr. Goldman, just made my day, week, and time period up until Mitchell potentially beats this score.

Go Wiebe!

Dude, awesome. I thought Hank Chien still had it. I gotta keep up to date on this...

Grats to the Wiebe!

zHellas:

esperandote:

It would have been funnier if you did this.

xD true. fixed it.

I laughed so hard at this article title.

ok this isn't even funny any more, this isn't even a question of skill any more, this is just a case of who has the most free time, which is not really something to brag about, that's why I don't take highscore games seriously any more because this is what it always degenerates into.

This made my day! It really did!

I LOVE this war for the score! Go Wiebe!

I actually heard that these guys are not the mortal enemies they are suggested to be in the movie. Not that I particularly care, but I'm sure the filmmakers slanted things for dramatic effect.

Hoping Mitchell comes back and reclaims his rightful place. That strive for perfection and glory is far more deserving than Wiebe's unenthusiastic, dull persona.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Steve Butts:
I actually heard that these guys are not the mortal enemies they are suggested to be in the movie. Not that I particularly care, but I'm sure the filmmakers slanted things for dramatic effect.

100% true. They're not best buds but they've always been civil to each other. They even did interviews together before King of Kong came about, so Mitchell clearly wasn't avoiding Wiebe at all costs. The movie makes him look like a much bigger dick than he really is.

Queen Michael:

Tom Goldman:

No, he hit the kill screen, where the RAM in the actual game itself runs out, so it basically crashes.

the "other guy" is just a retard that try to make it seem like he is a evil genius or something, wheras in reality every sane person just sees him as a stupid idiot.. cheering for wiebe all the way over michael..

The thing about Donkey Kong is the game is very chaotic, your character is extremely limited in moveset, and the scoring is in increments of 100-200, and you can only play so many levels before the game glitches out. So beating the top score by a couple thousand points is really impressive.

Still Billy Mitchell won't likely let this stand. This will continue until one of them is dead.

Queen Michael:

Tom Goldman:

I'm guessing beating a world record is hard. Call me crazy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here