Kotick: Bungie the Last "High Quality" Independent Studio Left

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Kotick: Bungie the Last "High Quality" Independent Studio Left

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick either put his foot in his mouth or is oblivious to the number of successful independent studios still in business.

Bobby Kotick can't seem to catch a break, but this time he may have no one else to blame but himself. At a recent media conference where he provided a bunch of newsworthy quotes, he also called Bungie the last "high quality" independent studio left standing.

"Bungie are a very unusual company," he said. "They're probably the last remaining high quality independent developer. It's very hard to [pause]... that has sort of has institutional skills and capabilities. And they're a real company." He then detailed how Activision was Bungie's "only choice" to publish its next title.

Let's go over what this means. If the quote isn't somehow taken out of context, and isn't being misinterpreted, it means that studios such as Valve and Epic are putting out terds according to Kotick. Worst case scenario, other studios like Insomnac Games, Sucker Punch, Double Fine, and countless other smaller guys that still put out great games are taking it on the chin here.

Maybe he was speaking in terms of sales, but even if he was Valve sells something like a trillion copies of every product it puts out. To be ignorant of that fact is not becoming of the CEO of one of the largest videogame companies in the world. I'm a benefit-of-the-doubt type of guy so I'm guessing Kotick made this statement on the spur of the moment and wasn't exactly realizing what he said, but jeeze, this is kind of a rough one.

Source: CVG

The problem I see hear is not that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Rather, the problem here is that people will simply read this and bash Bungie and the Halo games for "being mediocre" instead of Kotick's stupidity.

Not important but still...

Just because they produced one of the best-selling series doesn't mean everyone less successful is not high quality.

P.S. I better not get quoted several times again.

It's like Activision is trying to piss everyone off...

Good grief, Kotick! Can you not open your mouth without saying something either blitheringly stupid and shortsighted or backhandedly insulting? Didn't Activision hire the guy behind the Kevin Butler campaign to fix this crap at some point?

Let's just hope Kotick wasn't thinking before he spoke...

Oh, Bobby. It would be so much better for you to just shut your gob, but that would mean less hilarity in the world. Also, I don't give a shit about any of the IP's your company controls, apart from a positive feeling toward the Halo series, so you can just say whatever you want in my book.

And yes, I do like the Halo games. Overrated by the fanboys? Yes. But they are decent enough games, featuring a few weapons that I haven't seen the likes of anywhere else (The Needler in particular, seriously, has it ever been done before?) and anything that features the voice talents of Wash, Mal, and Jayne gains awesomeness by association.

I am fully aware that several of the things that I like are generally not considered to be very good, and I might possibly be accused of having bad taste in some areas. (No, I won't give any other examples.) But dammit, it's my taste, and I don't try to force what I like onto other people. I name-drop a fel things that I think that people might like, encourage them to check them out, but don't hound them about not having the same tastes as me, and wow have I gotten derailed from the OT.

Tl;dr Kotick makes life funnier in a tragic sort of way, and I personally like the Halo series, though I can readily admit to its faults.

Idiots will be idiots... Further proof he is too busy counting his money to take a look around the real world. The man knows nothing about video games...

Does this man say anything that makes much sense at all?

Wasn't there already a topic on this?
Had a couple hundred hits?

Oh wells. Of course Kotick would make this claim; he probably thinks he "owns" Bungie now that he has a contract with them.

This is why a lot of people who play video games tend to ignore most people in the industry, clearly there are exceptions. Kotick is not one of these exceptions.

SantoUno:
The problem I see hear is not that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Rather, the problem here is that people will simply read this and bash Bungie and the Halo games for "being mediocre" instead of Kotick's stupidity.

Why are you paranoid we want to bash halo? The guys obviously an arrogant prick and I will just simply refer to him as that.

If he can convince people that that is true Activision could make a lot of money.

Valve have put out a tonne of stuff though, not all of it is golden.
Epic games, you'll just have to pardon me and tell me who they are. The name rings a bell but meh, hell if I can remember them.

Perhaps you're misinterpreting his use of "High quality", as far as I'm aware Bungie have only done Halo titles, right?
Maybe that's what he means. They're the last company who have only done one long, high quality project amongst other companies who take on multiple tasks at once and don't deliver.
IE: Valve and Episode 3.

I think he just wants people to hate him...

How could a man so nerdy looking, know nothing about games?

Tsaba:

Why are you paranoid we want to bash halo? The guys obviously an arrogant prick and I will just simply refer to him as that.

It's not an issue of paranoia on my part, it just annoys me when people go on a Halo-bashing tangent. It happens A LOT on this site.

Lyri:
Epic games, you'll just have to pardon me and tell me who they are. The name rings a bell but meh, hell if I can remember them.

Perhaps you're misinterpreting his use of "High quality", as far as I'm aware Bungie have only done Halo titles, right?
Maybe that's what he means. They're the last company who have only done one long, high quality project amongst other companies who take on multiple tasks at once and don't deliver.

It took Blizzard ten years to deliver SC2, lets not give up on Valve just yet.

Hannibal942:
Let's just hope Kotick wasn't thinking before he spoke...

If he was thinking before he spoke, that would require proof of conscious thought. I'm not seeing much.

SantoUno:

Tsaba:

It's not an issue of paranoia on my part, it just annoys me when people go on a Halo-bashing tangent. It happens A LOT on this site.

You are quite right, people tend to take discussions off topic.

He has a really punchable face.

huh, i must say when i think of indie games halo and half-life aren't the first that pops up, but i must admit, i love the guy, i think hes hilarious, even when his company makes games less enjoyable with annoying DRM its so stupid i just have to laugh, its like we are in a sitcom and im the disapproving dad and hes my rascal son and every time he does something stupid i just throw up my arms and say my catch phrase "Oh, bobby" *shake head while smiling* *laugh track*, this episode of silly ceo and friends was brought to you by DRM, DRM, because every gamer is a pirate.

Bungie? Hmmm... a close call between Valve.

Lyri:

Epic Games is the company that makes the Unreal Tournament and Gears of War games, and typically the game engine that something like 50-75% of all AAA games use (or so it seems, I don't actually have any numbers on that). There's probably a few other games they've made, but those two are the big sellers and the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

OT - I want to be surprised by this, but I simply can't. Every time Kotick opens his mouth in public he proves himself an idiot. He is the living embodiment of the reason we have the saying "Better to stay silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

Is it just me or has Bobby Kotick become the gaming world equivelant of Snooki or Paris Hilton or whatever retarded celebrities are out there right now. It doesn't seem like 2 weeks go by without more news of him doing something stupid.

Lyri:

Epic are the guys behind Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Gears of War. Pioneers, in a lot of ways.

Isn't Sucker Punch owned by Sony? Aren't they one of Sony's first party development studios? That doesn't sound to "independent" to me...

More on topic: I love Bungie, but dammit what Kotick said is not true. At all. Ugh I'm really getting sick of him.

Lyri:

They made the Unreal Tournament and Gears of War games. As well as the Unreal Engine which is used in almost every game these days.

EDIT: Fucking ninja's...

Again this guy is talking out of his ass.

He realized that no one listens to him that gives a crap right?

Tsaba:

As much as I love it, it's still not perfect. It's very hard to insta-balance an RTS, especially with such a rich history and fanbase like SCII.

JeanLuc761:
Epic are the guys behind Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Gears of War. Pioneers, in a lot of ways.

Irridium:

They made the Unreal Tournament and Gears of War games. As well as the Unreal Engine which is used in almost every game these days.

Thanks for the heads up guys, but still I think Kotic may have a point.

Ever since bungie shacked up with activision the entire situation has reeked of... something.

I know the kneejerk from all the halo zombies is "brah, that kotick is a pretty big smacktard brah" but something else is at play here.

You have to remember the head of a publishing house isn't for people who read or play video games, its for people who will never have any personal contact with anything the house publishes and only views them as an investment opportunity. Which means, when it (the well dressed asshole at the top) starts talking like this, its a sign the well dressed asshole is desperately attempting to cover a huge mistake. Which means microsoft let bungie go because bungie had nothing to offer, while activision is stuck nursing a lame horse for the next ten years.

Hopefully it won't affect blizzard.

Lyri:

Not really. Team Fortress 2 and the Left 4 Dead games are great fun. Plus there's Alien Swarm that Valve put out for free. Those games were great. Not to mention Portal 2 coming out next year.

Lyri:

Tsaba:

As much as I love it, it's still not perfect. It's very hard to insta-balance an RTS, especially with such a rich history and fanbase like SCII.

JeanLuc761:

Irridium:

I believe he's just trying to reel people in to buy "Activision," he probably believes that small fraction of the gaming community that is brain dead will buy Activision and only Activision because it has the "last" great game maker. Even if he gets 1% thats still a butt load of money.

Blah blah Bungie blah blah.

Yes yes, HALO is a great series.

Epic, I don't know if I would have put them in next to Valve. I mean, Gears of War is good, but they are better know for the Unreal Engine than anything else.

I am interested to see what Runic ends up doing after they get done with Torchlight 2. I honestly think they could be the next Valve..... sans the millions and millions worth of profit from Steam.

Kotick apologetics, scramble. Can't spin this so that it doesn't sound like he's alienating dozens of companies that make great games.

Lyri:

I have to disagree. Let's look at the timeline and see what we're dealing with here.

2000-2010
Bungie: Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo: Reach. One series of general high quality.

Valve: Half-Life 2, Episode 1 & 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Day of Defeat: Source, Counter-Strike: Source

Epic: Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Shadow Complex.

And that's just talking about the games, nevermind the massive contribution Epic and Valve have had to the gaming community through Steam and gaming engines such as Source and Unreal Engine 2.0-3.5

Bungie is a talented developer, but to say they're the "last high quality" one is arrogance of an almost astounding level.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here