Alan Wake Setting Down His Pen After The Writer DLC

Alan Wake Setting Down His Pen After The Writer DLC

The story of a story within a story is finally coming to an end, as Remedy announces that the next piece of Alan Wake DLC will be the last.

Remedy CEO Matias Myllyrinne has confirmed that The Writer, the second piece of downloadable content for Alan Wake, will bring the story to its conclusion. Myllyrinne didn't go in to detail about the content of the episode, aside from saying that it had some "intense action."

It's also been revealed that Remedy has licensed the Depeche Mode song The Darkest Star to play over the episode's closing credits. The song is said to "link strongly" to the game's storyline and Oskari Häkkinen, Remedy's head of franchise development, commented that it fit the game so well it made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.

There's still no word on a sequel yet, either positive or negative. Remedy has said in the past that it could see no reason why Microsoft wouldn't exercise its option on a sequel, but it's no secret that the game didn't sell especially well when it came out. It might be that The Writer isn't just the end to Alan Wake 1, but the end of the whole Alan Wake story.

The Writer doesn't have a release date at the moment, although it will cost 560 Microsoft points when it becomes available.

Source: Evil Avatar via 1up

"aside from saying that it had some "intense action.""

So exactly what was wrong with the first DLC then. Brilliant.

Even though I enjoyed the game and I think it deserved better sales I believe there is no need for a sequel.
It was a game based solely around story; an original concept. They couldn't possibly make a sequel and simply call it Alan Wake 2. The story is done and dusted. I'm glad.

Woodsey:

Yeah. Although, I did like the use of light-on-words being expanded...It was rather brilliant in those sequences.

Stop making Alan Wake focus on action. That's when it fucks up.

JokerboyJordan:
Even though I enjoyed the game and I think it deserved better sales I believe there is no need for a sequel.
It was a game based solely around story; an original concept. They couldn't possibly make a sequel and simply call it Alan Wake 2. The story is done and dusted. I'm glad.

I would disagree.

You can still pull out to a larger story, and there were plenty of unanswered questions. It's almost like saying that Lost could have easily ended when they opened the hatch.

Haven't played it yet, and I'll probably wait for this new DLC to come out so I can play though the whole story in one go.

I hope they do a sequel. I think Alan Wake is a shining example how a good, solid story can make a great game even with repetitive gameplay and decidedly average graphics. "The Signal" was a bit of a disappointment, so hopefully "The Writer" will do better.

The story is done and dusted.

Hardly. There's still so much to wrap up in the original story that there is more than plenty for a sequel story.

I feel bad for Remedy, I know alot of people who wrote this game off after the PC Version was yanked.

Maybe if they had released it wider they would have had more sales. Sheesh. With a bit of luck this one will be better then the first DLC.

Onyx Oblivion:

Woodsey:

Yeah. Although, I did like the use of light-on-words being expanded...It was rather brilliant in those sequences.

Stop making Alan Wake focus on action. That's when it fucks up.

It would have worked much better with some puzzles, and I liked the minefield idea - but then they through enemies in as well and it became a pain in the arse. Don't even get me started on the room with the furnaces.

I'm sad its ending, but as long as the ending is good, I'm okay with it. Its still my game of the year.

JokerboyJordan:

If they had included all of that story in the first game, I might have picked it up. Talk of DLC episodes was what killed off my intentions of buying it on day one.

Yeah, sure! Make us pay for the ending of a game we already payed 60 bucks for. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that...

that's the problem with these games, is that they are a one shot deal. I rented it , loved it, played the hell out of it, got all but 2 cheevos for it and now I'm done with it.

There's no unlockables, save for pages. No need or want for a mulitplayer mode, I doubt you'll ever hear someone say lets play alan wake over CODBo, reach, gears 3 etc. They would have to undercut the market to sell games. Had they come in at a lower price point say 39.99 people would have bought it. 69.99 for a game you know is one shot with no replayability aside from nightmare mode, which by the time I started it was in full realizaiton you could just run from safespot to safespot. It's a great game but after you've played it you've played it and I'm glad my ticket to ride only cost 11 bucks instead of 70.

I rented Alan Wake twice (god declared we wouldn't play it the first time, total black out right as we finished the first chapter.) and all my friends loved the game the atmosphere and well everything, we had an epic blast. I am going to buy it when i have money and nothing i havnt played is out just to replay the game because well I enjoyed it more then enough to warrant a replay or two. Its to bad no sequel has been announced yet.

I can hear Alan Wake 2 bells ringing in he distance...

I hope they read this topic and see all the people wanting a sequel, I WANT A SEQUEL! I LOVED ALAN WAKE!

Remember that article about Horror games awhile back that said Alan Wake would be the best horror game ever? That it would change the way of Horror games for years to come?

Yeah, I'll bet that guy's kicking himself now over basically giving more advertising then this game ever deserved.

Awwww. Thats a shame. I wish they could have done a little more with it, but, I guess not to be

I can't get behind DLC for this game. I liked that the game ended with questions still up. Sometimes wanting to know the answer for everything is more fun than actually knowing.

It's a game that needs neither DLC or a sequel.

Mornelithe:
I feel bad for Remedy, I know alot of people who wrote this game off after the PC Version was yanked.

And that's why you don't do such fuckups. I was on the list of potential buyers too...

So... They're adding the ending to the game, after they've released the game months ago...?

Retardinator:

Mornelithe:

And that's why you don't do such fuckups. I was on the list of potential buyers too...

I was too, my friend, I was too.

Woodsey:

Yeah, talk about a let-down.

Move from one frustrating, unfair fight sequence to the next for an hour, with no character development except for turning Barry from a loveable sidekick into an annoying prick... and then it's over.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Reads more than just the heading in the article). Oh, so there still might be a sequel? Okay. I was panicking there. If this DLC does in fact turn out to be the end of Alan Wake, then they better fix everything. Alan, Alice, Rose, etc...too many things left undone, and I don't see how they can fix it all in one DLC. I want a full sequel after this.

Mornelithe:

I was going to buy it for PC, why in God's name they decided to make a dramatic action game for just the Xbox is beyond me.

but it's no secret that the game didn't sell especially well

Little wonder...

Well I hope this doesn't mean of Alan Wake as a whole. I loved the game very much, so I'd be sad panda if we don't get a sequel.

Le Tueur:

I was going to buy it for PC, why in God's name they decided to make a dramatic action game for just the Xbox is beyond me.

Agreed, I knew more people who were aware of it as a PC title (with intent to purchase), than even knew it was an upcoming 360 title.

Le Tueur:

Because some of the people who own X-Box's are not philistines? I bought it and loved it but then again I own both platforms and snub my nose at neither. I'm a little sad to hear this will be the end, but Alan Wake styled itself after an episodic sci-fi/fantasy drama in the vein of a lost/heores/invasion. And a lot of those shows, while they have their fans, die young. I'd hope a sequel is made that improves upon the original but all told, I'm happy there's an ending in the least.

And people were too harsh on this game when it came out. I didn't think the marketing was over the top in the slightest and it had some great writing (oh the irony).

Mornelithe:

Retardinator:

Mornelithe:

*facepalm*would it hurt you guys just to get a xbox?

redeemer09:

Mornelithe:

Retardinator:

Mornelithe:

*facepalm*would it hurt you guys just to get a xbox?

First of all, whose idea was it to revive this thread, and second of all, yes it would.
That means I have to spend a lot of cash for a console which isn't even officially supported in my country. That means any slight hitch and either I have to buy a new one or suck it up.
Next, do mind I'd be buying a console for one damn game, which, as far as I know, doesn't seem like a sound investment. Sure I could play other games too, IF and WHEN I get some money to buy them. Not to mention paying for a Live subscription etc. etc. etc.
It'd be a pretty big hole in my nearly empty pocket.

I heard remedy is closing down, is this true??

Ahh dang, I already laughed at this. Dang thread revivals. No idea if Remedy's going under, I doubt it. If they do, I'd be sueing the dogshit out of Microsoft for literally destroying any chance of their IP being a serious success.

I hope there is a sequal, but it may mean the end of remedy if it doesn't sell well. They have made top quality games so they must pick up on some downers of the original Alan Wake. Maybe even sandbox elements?

But remedy were doing bad, when wake came out, they needed a whole lot of sales to make up for those 10 years. If they make a sequal, they may as well sign their death warrant. If they can get more sales, there will be an improvement to it, there has to be.

They are not as uncaring as lionhead to their fans for god's sake!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here