Japan Goes Gaga for Pokemon Black & White

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Japan Goes Gaga for Pokemon Black & White

Pokemon Black & White Versions are well on their way to becoming some of the best-selling DS titles of all time.

If there is a single person on this planet who didn't think that Pokemon Black & White would sell like crazy - even before the two versions became the most-preordered DS games of all time in Japan - then that person is officially a ninny.

Nintendo has revealed that the fifth generation of Pokemon games - which some are calling a "reboot" of the franchise thanks to the new setting and entirely new roster - sold 2.63 million copies in its first 48 hours on shelves. In comparison, Pokemon Diamond & Pearl sold a paltry 1.58 million copies in a week back in 2006.

Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver together were the second-best-selling games of 2009 in Japan (#1 was Dragon Quest IX, natch), racking up 3,382,597 units sold in the year. At this pace, it won't take long for Black & White to catch up.

(Next-Gen.biz)

Nice.

Now, what sucks is that everyone else has to wait for it to come out or import it.

Well..saw that one coming.

Psyched for it though.

@ 00:59

HEIL let me show you my pokemans!.

Again kind of obvious.

And I hope that people who got a copy enjoy it.

Wait... What was that intro about? A king? What? And how come it was english at the end? My brain hurts.

OT: It has got me interested. I didn't like Diamond and pearl because to be frank, they had nothing going for them. Controls weren't brilliant (Had to hold still to use touchscreen for the USELESS applications) and it was the same thing. This is changing the game...

This is interesting.

Calumon: King of Pokemon? That's silly.

The pokemon in that video always reminds me of Dr Robotnik. I look forward to playing the new games, but not sure how i'll cope remembering the best tacticks for each of the new pokemon.

ages 13 and under

im getting it the day it comes out :D I love POKEMONS!!!!

I thought this news post was about how Japanese people were dressing up as Lady Gaga in order to get the game...

Pokemon Black & White will undoubtably become the best-selling DS game worldwide. They'll be saving a spot for it in the Guiness World Records as I type.

ionveau:
ages 13 and under

If you honestly think that, then you're just more the fool.

I don't think I've ever seen a positive post from you, ever, by the way. It must take some serious effort to be that whiny and negative all day.

Never been a Pokemon fan, played the first one for gameboy and beat it. Never had the urge after that so I never will understand the craze.

I haven't played a Pokémon game since I sold my Emerald, but now I'm conflicted about if I should try a Gold/Silver remake or wait for Black/White.

Well, now you only have to wait for it to come out :/ ,also they call it reboot I call it Digimon.

http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Hagurumon
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Gear

O RLY?

Imported White and already have 2 badges and 1 Legendary x3

It's a really good game and I've got Black and White pre-ordered. There is a big emphasis on friendship in this one: you leave the home town with 2 friends. Also new to the franchise: the first battle is against the starter whose elementally weaker! The scenery is great too; fish swim to the surface of lakes, Pokemon will make tufts of grass rustle, rock-slides in caves yield hold-items and, there are certain areas where you can fight 2 wild Pokemon at the same time.

I'm done gushing...bring on the fire!

groovy
so when's it coming to the US?
as soon as a release date is given I'm going to pre-order both (Black for me, White for my Brother)

Who Dares Wins:
Well, now you only have to wait for it to come out :/ ,also they call it reboot I call it Digimon.

O RLY?

I laughed, I might just pretend it is a digimon game, what with the entire new stock of pokemon, I mean Digimon...Damnit

JediMB:
I haven't played a Pokémon game since I sold my Emerald, but now I'm conflicted about if I should try a Gold/Silver remake or wait for Black/White.

Who Dares Wins:

O RLY?

Gear reminds me of Shoe from the Chinpokomon episode of South Park

wait wait wait...

why is the guy from "all your base belong to us" (sec 28-30) crowning that guy!?

i swear i almost spilled my coffe on my screen when i saw him!

And in a year, when it finally gets a UK release, I'm sure I'll love it as well.

In other news, this article is awesome purely for using the word "ninny".

What a shocker, I never would've guessed that it would be such a big hit in Japan! [/sarcasm]

ionveau:
ages 13 and under

actually its ages 3-13 then it skips a few years and goes 18-65
thats when people realize that its cool again

Wait a second - Cats was crowning the player?

I call AWESOMENESS.

This just in!
Water is wet!
Cancer is bad!
Pokemon is big in Japan!

Zeromaeus:
This just in!
Water is wet!

You could debate forever whether a liquid is actually wet, or it is simply a medium which allows other materials to be deemed 'wet' ;P

OT:Sweet. Now if only I could buy a DS...

Honestly I managed to play an import for a while...

It's pretty amazing, I understand people calling it a "reboot" because it definitely feels like an overall superior Gen1 in terms of mechanics and game-play.

Sinclose:

Zeromaeus:
This just in!
Water is wet!

You could debate forever whether a liquid is actually wet, or it is simply a medium which allows other materials to be deemed 'wet' ;P

This just in, you are a smart-ass.
Then again, its better to be a smart-ass than a dumb-ass...

I have a DS. (yay!) I don't know where it is. (boo!) Nevermind, just found it. (yay!) But I lost Diamond version a few months ago. (...) I caught them all. They were all there. ALL OF THEM. (gasp)

Zeromaeus:

Sinclose:

Zeromaeus:
This just in!
Water is wet!

It was a joke, I put that smiley in there to help reinforce this.
But I guess that intonation not carrying over text will always have its issues.

It's a shame to see such a game franchise with below mediocre progression within the countless editions sells this incredible high. I mean those numbers... woah.
And I mean how much does this game cost? 50$ or so I guess?

I kind of figured it would be really popular. Japan is the heartland of Pokemon.

Anyone else think Lady Gaga would somehow be shoehorned into this article when they saw the title?

Saw this coming for sure! But! Fantastic to see its worth waiting for!

And Germans still love The Hoff.

*insert bitching about designs here*

Seriously though, I'm pretty pumped for it.

Sinclose:

Zeromaeus:

Sinclose:

Zeromaeus:
This just in!
Water is wet!

It was a joke, I put that smiley in there to help reinforce this.
But I guess that intonation not carrying over text will always have its issues.

I wasn't being serious either.
It seems I came off as overly defensive.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)