Consumers not Willing to Buy New TV For 3D, Finds Survey

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Consumers not Willing to Buy New TV For 3D, Finds Survey

A survey has found that 3D isn't a big enough draw to get people to spend a heap on cash on new equipment.

3D gaming might have hit a snag, at least on consoles, as a survey found that more than eight out of ten people don't consider the ability to view 3D media enough of an incentive to buy a new television. Additionally, more than half of the participants said that they wouldn't be willing to pay extra for 3D.

A study published by Deloitte, a consultancy and risk management firm, found that 83% of the people polled wouldn't buy a new TV just for 3D, and 60% didn't think that 3D was a worth paying a premium for. The study also found that 31% of people didn't think that 3D enhanced their viewing experience, and a further 13% found that watching things in 3D actually made them ill or uncomfortable.

Opinions about 3D weren't uniform across all age ranges though. The 1,960 people polled ranged from 14 to 75 years old, and at the younger end of the spectrum, around 40% said that they would buy a 3D TV that required glasses and 55% said that they would buy a 3D TV that didn't require glasses.

This seems like especially bad news for Sony, as it seems to be pouring a lot of resources into 3D media across all branches of the company. It's still very early days for 3D though, so it's probably best not to start writing obituaries just yet.

Source: CNET via Geek.com

LOL. I would understand why the younger end of the spectrum would say they would get a 3D TV. Get the TV through the parents money.

Um....duh?

Most of us are strapped for cash right now as it is. On top of that, we are forced to wear those dorky-looking glasses to fully enjoy the TV. I would rather not fork over that amount of money just so I can have blood or dust seemingly hit me in the face due to whatever is going on in the picture.

Sorry, but I just fail to see how anybody could justify a purchase like that. Not many devices support 3D yet, let alone games.

Who designs these studies? How dumb do they think we are?

Yeah, because people in a recession really have the money to throw at what amounts to little more than a novelty gimmick.

lol did we really need a survey for this? i mean ive seen 3d tvs their nothing special it doesnt enhance anything to me

I'm not surprised. If I had the free cash to blow on a 3D TV I might consider it, but as a person who doesn't have an infinite amount of disposable income, I'm looking at the best quality for the least cash. 3D would undoubtedly lash on an uncomfortable amount of moneys to the pricetag.

I'm not surprised here. 3D is just a gimmick and will die out soon enough.

Commence slow clap nnnnnnnnow

-clap-

-clap-

-clap-

-clap-

The only way 3d could potentially be viable is nintendo's current 3ds system. No glasses needed just Tv. It would also need to cost as much as the current tvs do. This way people don't feel ripped off when they need to buy something else to make the image more 3d and last man in doesn't get left out when there are no more pairs of 3d glasses, as well as making it a viable option to own.

SnootyEnglishman:
I'm not surprised here. 3D is just a gimmick and will die out soon enough.

To be fair that's what they said about videogames :P.

Not really suprising I mean:
1. It's a recession
2. Everybody only just upgraded to HD
3. It's kinda gimmiky

Well everyone has been buissy buying expencive home cinemas that are surprised that people are not throwing out there old hardware or giving it to the childs room so they can have 3d at home.
But what can I say by TV still has a back to it.

Heh, 3D TV.

Poor Sony.

I actually own a 3D TV and while it's cool, there is only ONE movie in 3D. Even Avatar is out in 3D. Not to mention, the glasses cost $200 a piece.

*sigh*

I will still try it with MW2 soon though :)

Anyone with a brain and a lick of common sense could tell you this without a survey.

Yeah, no kidding.

And on another note, grass grows and birds fly.

"It's still very early days for 3D though"

Actually, 3D technology has been around since 50s. It's very early days for this modern-day 3D, though, which is further proof the format is not going anywhere. Better get used to 3D, because it's going to be the norm soon enough.

Spinwhiz:
Not to mention, the glasses cost $200 a piece.

Wait, seriously? Are these glasses special in any way, or are they just the standard black-frame 3D glasses you get at a theater?

Must be why they tack 3$ onto movie ticket prices.

Survey shows that people are not made of money, especially not in the vicinity of a huge economic collapse.

And to misquote Ashen
"In 2012 all 3D televisions will be recalled, when it's discovered that 3D is crap."

Have to say it; No shit Sherlock.

It's a gimmick. Hell, all the "3D" I've seen doesn't even look 3D. Just shit.

And no, I didn't see Avatar in 3D. I'm sure THAT looks 3D, but that was designed from the base up to be shown in 3D, while most other '3D' things weren't.

Spinwhiz:
I actually own a 3D TV and while it's cool, there is only ONE movie in 3D. Even Avatar is out in 3D. Not to mention, the glasses cost $200 a piece.

*sigh*

I will still try it with MW2 soon though :)

Do you feel like you invested in the technology too soon? I mean if the only real 3D movie currently out is Avatar, then doesn't that sort of limit your use of the TV?

I'm not flaming you of course, but based on what you just said, the TV seems like a bit of a waste right now.

OT: I don't have the money for a 3D TV at the moment. I'm too busy saving for a better living residence so I won't be tossing any money at a TV anytime soon. *sigh*

Femaref:
And on another note, grass grows and birds fly.

sunshines, and brotha? I hurt people!

Did they even really need to do a study? I guess it helps them realize that they're wasting their time, either that or they're going to have to do something in order to catch peoples attention.

Kind of like how I'm sure Nintendo did a study with the Wii to figure out just who to market it too.

I am shocked. SHOCKED by the results of this study. I've made the mistake of being an early adopter before. Never again. Especially for the kind of money involved in 3D technology. =P

Honestly, I very recently upgraded my PC to be 3D capable (120Mhz 23" screen, Palit GTX 470 and Nvidia Glasses) and I must admit that I'm VERY impressed at how well 3D works for games - on the PC at least.

Mind you, my screen cost 650$ AU including the 200$ Nvidia Glasses - I wouldn't personally pay much more then that for a screen itself, especially not the thousands of dollars they want for 3D TVs.

There was a time when similar result could have been garnered by asking about HDTV, just give it time, prices will come down and when people are replacing their current TV's they pick up the big new and shiny...

Get me contact lenses with 3D and you get my money Sony.

They didn't need a survey to figure this one out.

Chamzaboogie:
Get me contact lenses with 3D and you get my money Sony.

Those would be incredibly useful.

consumers also like getting stuff for free and not having to pay for conten

It's still way too early to jump on the 3D bandwagon. We've only recently made the jump to HD, and most people I know with HDTVs only got them because they either needed a new TV or didn't have one to begin with. Clearly they're not going to be replacing those expensive and perfectly working new sets anytime soon.

Maybe give it a few years, let everyone's HDTVs wear out so they're in the market for a new one. Perfect opportunity to shove 3D in their faces. Uh, literally.

I hope they didn't pay too much to unearth this pearl of wisdom, as I would have been happy to tell them the same thing, a year ago. 3D is a gimmick, has always been a gimmick, and it's second only to the copycat motion gaming devices as the biggest consumer electronics mistep this decade.

This joins the list of "Studies whose results are so blatantly obvious that no one has any idea how they managed to get the money to do it".

Surveys: paying top money for finding out things that everyone with common sense already knew.

Yup. Well I can only hope the people who use that survey saw the results coming...

Pingieking:
This joins the list of "Studies whose results are so blatantly obvious that no one has any idea how they managed to get the money to do it".

Damn you ninja'd me. But yes i wonder who always pays for that shit. X-p

I wouldn't want a 3D TV even IF I had the money. I don't feel it adds anything to what I'm viewing. The glasses are distracting and after a while, I don't even realize things are in 3D. You just become used to it, so it is definitely not a product I care for...at all.

when the economy recovers i think this will take off to a much greater success.

3D TVs? Waste of money

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or