Airbrushed Dreamcasts Paint a Pretty Glorious Picture

Airbrushed Dreamcasts Paint a Pretty Glorious Picture

If you're a Dreamcast fan, then these custom-painted consoles are going to make you drool.

It's hard to find a console more beloved than Sega's Dreamcast. Even though it was discontinued in 2001, games are still being developed for the system, and - speaking from personal experience - some of the original games have actually aged pretty well. Apparently developers aren't the only fans still creating content for the consoles, seeing as how an airbrush artist has started gaining a lot of attention for his custom paint jobs.

German Artist Torsten Rachu actually airbrushes a just about anything you can imagine, including jackets, helmets, motorcycles, and game consoles. The latter includes current-gen systems, as well as a stunning collection of custom Dreamcast designs.

You can see a wide variety of sample Dreamcasts on Rachu's website. I'm particularly enamored with the Jet Set Radio design, but the Resident Evil: Code Veronica one is pretty cool, too. Sadly, there doesn't appear to be a Sonic the Hedgehog Dreamcast on the site.

Source: TopairBrush via Geek.com

ARGH GIVE ME HOW MUCH DON'T CARE WANT

I've been looking to rebuy a dreamcast for quite a while now. Man, that was such a good system.

I couldn't agree more.

*drools*

The Jet Set Radio one is great, as well as the Shenmue one.

I'm sorry
I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And its true. It is awesome. So awesome.

Greeeeeeat... now I have that weird Japanese ChuChu Rocket theme song stuck in my head. :D

Tempted to do the same to my classic x-box // Would be a fun way to pass an evening at home

-M

My dreamcast is getting very yellow for some reason.

Eh, Dreamcast. I'll take one of these, though:

Dreamcast: Nearly 10 years later and still the most overrated system of all time. Barely beating out the N64.

It had Grandia 2, one the the hands down, BEST RPGs I have ever played!

Pretty sw33t. Too bad his ps3 designs are kinda meh-ish. :/

Cool stuff, but Ima let you know...PS2 won that gen, hands down.

Sir John the Net Knight:
Dreamcast: Nearly 10 years later and still the most overrated system of all time. Barely beating out the N64.

lol you're trolling right ?

anyways...

i think i know this guy,
as in i think i know this guy from a forum i used to frequent and i think i remember the thread in which these were ordered up and first posted.

at any rate these are extremely familiar to me.

and cool ofc :)

Holy cow. I think "airbrush" and automatically picture cheap-looking T-shirts. This stuff is great!

mikozero:

Sir John the Net Knight:

anyways...

i think i know this guy,
as in i think i know this guy from a forum i used to frequent and i think i remember the thread in which these were ordered up and first posted.

No I'm giving my opinion on the Dreamcast. Of course the term "trolling" has evolved it's definition into "opining an unpopular position". I have no issues with people painting up their gaming systems, though I fail to see how it qualifies as "news worthy".

Hmmm... I never had or played a Dreamcast, so it may just be me, but I don't see the big deal. I would say the PS2, N64, and Xbox were all better and more important consoles. I was really surprised to learn that there are Dreamcast games still being made.

Very nice designs, though.

Who exactly is making what Dreamcast games these days?

ThaBenMan:
Hmmm... I never had or played a Dreamcast, so it may just be me, but I don't see the big deal. I would say the PS2, N64, and Xbox were all better and more important consoles. I was really surprised to learn that there are Dreamcast games still being made.

Very nice designs, though.

the only truly amazing thing about the Dreamcsat was Segas ability to destroy their own hardware business.
It was truly remarkable; the thing was an arcade machine stuck into a home console case, all they had to do was a few quick edits of most arcade games to make them home user friendly and release for Dreamcast. That was a brilliant plan simple, cost effective and you could literally promise arcade quality gaming at home (at the time something that still interested people) it looked like the bulletproof console and yet...

The reason there's games still being made? those of us who bought the machine have kept using them. Some of those small companies still selling games are from the homebrew scene which being small was quite close knit and supportive of each other.

Talk about pimp your console! Still giving them a spark of life even now!

I bet if Sega did a limited release of the console it'd sell out in minutes.

I miss my Dreamcast. Someone stole it when I let my idiot brother show it off to his friends at school. I should have killed him.

Irridium:
*drools*

The Jet Set Radio one is great, as well as the Shenmue one.

I'm sorry
I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And its true. It is awesome. So awesome.

Yes!
Best! Dreamcast! Cover! Design! Ever!

Did anyone else get a stiffy while reading this article?

Waaannnnttttt....As much as I enjoy the Jet Set Radio one (and it's my favorite DC game), I think I'd actually go for the Chu Chu Rocket instead.

Sir John the Net Knight:

mikozero:

Sir John the Net Knight:

anyways...

i think i know this guy,

No I'm giving my opinion on the Dreamcast. Of course the term "trolling" has evolved it's definition into "opining an unpopular position". I have no issues with people painting up their gaming systems, though I fail to see how it qualifies as "news worthy".

We choose to share things that we think are nifty, interesting, or just plain fun. Much as we would send this to a friend, we share it with the members of our community via a news post. If we think an item would be of interest to Escapist readers, that's newsworthy.

It's such a shame Microsoft doesn't allow this kind of thing with their X-box 360s. But as much as I hated the game Chu-chu Rocket, I thought it's box art was a pretty cool design for a Dreamcast cover.

My xbox 360 might get this treatment at some point in the near future... I love repainting/refinishing all kinds of things. I don't have the skills this guy has of course, but once I think of something in my capability range I might give it a go. Next time mine RRODs it's not getting replaced under warranty any longer so the whole thing is a ticking time bomb. If I haven't done it before then I will definitely paint myself a custom case when the shit inside is broken anyways. Then if I like I will put my new one in it :)

That's nice...

Now do that on a console that still has a market

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or