Hideo Kojima's Name Means Something Important

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hideo Kojima's Name Means Something Important

If you see Hideo Kojima's name on a box, he says it means you're getting a game straight from his brain.

Hideo Kojima, known primarily for creating the Metal Gear Solid series, feels his name is important. Unlike what he calls "imitators," if you see "A Hideo Kojima Game" on a videogame's box art, it means that game truly comes from Kojima in almost every way possible.

In Twitter remarks, where it seems Japanese characters allow for more to be said within the 140 character limit, Kojima talked about what it means exactly to see his name on a game. It doesn't just mean that Kojima brought donuts to a videogame's staff meeting one day, tap danced on the table, and back-flipped out of the window into a jet fighter.

Kojima said: "'A Hideo Kojima Game' is something that I started. That kind of saying doesn't exist. Lately there have been imitators, but being the one person responsible for planning, game design, writing, producing and directing all alone, that phrase reflects everything that I do. [It] doesn't belong on something [I] merely produced."

While he definitely wasn't the first to put his name on a product, what he appears to be saying is that he believes he started the labeling of a product with a name that truly has a major part in every aspect of a its production. He also thinks that this is tough to keep going through a lengthy series.

"As far as writers are concerned, when they have a single, lengthy story told across a series, keeping things going is particularly difficult," Kojima wrote. While he says Metal Gear Solid is something he "gave birth to," he also says it's "not his property." Kojima added: "I might leave this business or even leave this world, but it's like any other popular series. When you authorize Hollywood to turn something into a movie, 'sequel rights' are a must. Those are the rights to make a sequel with or without the original author."

But those sequels are unlikely to have his name on them if he's no longer alive, unless he's possessing the arm of a producer. Metal Gear Solid: Rising and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow will both have "Kojima-less" covers even though Kojima had a partial hand in their lives. Kojima is a big name in the videogame industry, but he won't let that name be abused for sales.

Source: 1up

It almost sounds to me like he's trying to give himself the image of an auteur.

Well, I won't argue with that. His works do all have a very "Kojima-esque" feeling to them.

By that I mean that they all feel like they've been touched by the hands of a brilliant madman!

He is an auteur, that's for sure. It's good to know his name truly means what it says when printed on the box.

It was weird when we were getting Sid Meier games that were more Brian Reynold's work.

Our very own Zombie_Fish was disappointed when his MGS4 box had a serious lack of Hideo Kojima's brains inside it. Mainly cinematics. Zombies can't eat movies.

I like his games. He somehow manages to turn gritty, stealth-action games into really eccentric stuff.

I have to thank the escapist staff for not using that creepy Hideo Kojima photo when he was on a duck.....

OT: Well if its from Hideo Kojimo studio's wouldnt this mean that he has a decent involvement? but i guess if he does all those things it makes sense to put your name all over it.

Zenode:
I have to thank the escapist staff for not using that creepy Hideo Kojima photo when he was on a duck.....

OT: Well if its from Hideo Kojimo studio's wouldnt this mean that he has a decent involvement? but i guess if he does all those things it makes sense to put your name all over it.

I'm suprised that someone managed to take another photo of him, he must spend his life under a box when he isn't sitting on ducks.

It's nice to see someone not having their name used just for the sake of selling games. I'm looking at you Clancy.

Dear Mr. Kojima,

Please make Zone of the Enders 3 and add your name and specific brand of awesome to it. In return, anything you need taken care of? Guys getting up in your grill? Fanboy stalkers? Dinner? Yeah. I can take care of it.

Ta muchly,
Amnestic.

It's nice to see that his name indicates direct involvement, unlike some other franchises which I have some doubts about (Pretty much everything from Tom Clancy)

kojimas name means lots to me, plenty of 'cinematic' gameplay (Meaning i'd be better off watching it than playing it) Rampant mysogny (i refer you to yahtzees excellent treatise on whats the deal with kojima and women.)

Still, wouldent mind seeing another zone of enders game for ps3/xb360.

Tom Goldman:
In Twitter remarks, where it seems Japanese characters allow for more to be said within the 140 character limit, Kojima talked about what it means exactly to see his name on a game. It doesn't just mean that Kojima brought donuts to a videogame's staff meeting one day, tap danced on the table, and back-flipped out of the window into a jet fighter.

I smell an easter egg in a future game!

OT: Whether you like his games or not, Kojima gives a certain flair in his works. His games can be eccentric, weird, long and drawn out, etc... but they're all part of the "feel" in Kojima's work.

The recent "Metal Gear Solid: Rising" doesn't really feel like a Kojima game to me. Kojima has little part in MGS:Rising, and it shows to me. I'll still wait for some more definitive gameplay, but for now I'm a bit nervous for it.

Thats good to hear, its better than how a film will say by Tim Burton but he only produced it.

I think noone can argue with that. One of the few guys that puts his name on a product and creates it in the way he sees fit. Makes his games much more appealing I think, they don't have the design-class feel to them. Sad to see this authorship going down in the business over the last few years. Even someone like Sid Meyer seems to be less able to put his name on a box. Also think it's good that he doesn't put the Kojima label on the 2 newly produced games. They might turn out awesome, but if he isn't as closely involved, then he shouldn't use the label.

And the games are not just coming straight from his brain, they're coming straight from his troubled subconcious. Troubled indeed.

well, as yahtzee said, it's good that now adays a developer has the balls to step up to his games and say "yes, I did it"

Usually, if I see 'A [Whoever] Game' on a box, it means that it's either a Hideo Kojima, David Cage, American McGee or Will Wright game. In all but the last, it means it's a presumptious game that's inches away from actually being something new and different yet interesting.

I think the industry needs more of this kind of thing. Like you get in films, for example.

The name means absolutly nothing to me. Sure I heard/know him but the added value is zero for me.

I played only one Metal Gear Solid game and that was that. No more. Still good he is openly broadcasting this stuff.

Tom Clancy seems like a whore, every title his name is on ranges from failure to medicore, with some exceptions.

Too bad for him, both Will Wright and Sid Meier beat him to it.

The only thing I've enjoyed from Kojima is the Boktai series. It seems the less technology he has at his disposal, the better he is.
Don't let him ruin Castlevania.

Tom Goldman:

It doesn't just mean that Kojima brought donuts to a videogame's staff meeting one day, tap danced on the table, and back-flipped out of the window into a jet fighter.

Which of course doesn't mean that he doesn't do all those things.

Whether you like the games or not, it's good to know that putting a name on a game actually means something.

It came off as egotistical for a moment till I realized he's saying "Hey mister Tom Clancy clean up your games they're a mess *cough* HAWX"

His name does indeed mean somthing, if I see he made the game; I wont buy it

I have to agree with what he's said.

Can't say the same for Tom Clancy. What does it even mean now to say 'Tom Clancy's'... ?

I do like that, I admit; it's a practice I wish more designer's would follow.

Seriously, set aside for a second whether or not you hate him, or his games; he is making a good point about how sad it is when people that made something good let their names be slapped on things that don't really represent their creative efforts.

The man is a bit nutty. I don't like his games. Hell, I don't like his face.

But, on this point I agree with him.

Amnestic:
Dear Mr. Kojima,

Please make Zone of the Enders 3 and add your name and specific brand of awesome to it. In return, anything you need taken care of? Guys getting up in your grill? Fanboy stalkers? Dinner? Yeah. I can take care of it.

Ta muchly,
Amnestic.

It's nice to see that his name indicates direct involvement, unlike some other franchises which I have some doubts about (Pretty much everything from Tom Clancy)

I agree whole-heartedly with all of this. The only things that could make Zone of the Enders even better are length, the sorts of additions standard in sequels, and Hideo Kojima's batshit insanity.

Souplex:
The only thing I've enjoyed from Kojima is the Boktai series. It seems the less technology he has at his disposal, the better he is.
Don't let him ruin Castlevania.

He's only the producer of Lords of Shadow. Granted, that still gives him power over the project, but not nearly to the extent of possessing every major position in game development a la Metal Gear. I'm more worried about the studio making a God of War knockoff, and believe you me, I don't use "God of War knockoff" nearly as often as most people 'round here on the interwebs.

Hes a few sandwiches short of a picnic. I respect him for his work, and how he can figure some of the stuff out in his head...but I dont know if I want his brain on my desk x.x

Amnestic:
Dear Mr. Kojima,

Ta muchly,
Amnestic.

Hey, include me in that too. If you need some money back from some guy who borrowed it and never gave back, or if a certain man is smoochin your wife... foggedabut it... I'll take care of em for ya...

Amnestic:
Dear Mr. Kojima,

Ta muchly,
Amnestic.

And if it's possible also port it to the PC please.

I don't know about anyone else, but "Hideo Kojima" on a box-cover is cue for "Run away!" for me.

American McGee thought the same.
Geez, I already knew he was a self-involved douchebag. Coming right out and saying so just makes me not want to feed his ego lest he completely jump that shark that he's been standing on the nose of for the past 3 Metal Gear games. Maybe he should just write his 10,000 page homoerotic spy novel and save us the burnt-out console hard drives.

Heh If Kojima did posses the arm of a producer.

DIRECTOOOOOOR!

Honestly, was there ever really any doubt about this? Any game with his name on it reeks of his style, and it's clear from the end result that he had very few people on his team objecting to any of the crazy ideas in his artistic "vision".

"Hideo Kojima's Name Means Something Important"

Ya..... to film making.............. *hides*

/lulz

Yeah when i see his name on a game I know it will have his influence and flare on the game. I'm glad he doing something with MGS:Rising to keep it on track. Now with the new Castlevania I hope he does a great job with it.

Please Mr. Kojima make Zone of Enders 3 for the ps3.

I wonder if by "imitators" hes not referring to people like Tom Clancy, and the billion games that sponsor his name.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here