Star Wars: The Old Republic's Smugglers Get Wookiee Companions

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic's Smugglers Get Wookiee Companions

Becoming a smuggler in The Old Republic will reflect the life of Han Solo in every way possible.

Separate famous Star Wars smuggler Han Solo from his Wookiee companion Chewbacca, and you've got a smuggler that isn't nearly as cool. So where would the smugglers in BioWare's upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic be without Chewbaccas of their own? Somewhere, but thankfully they'll have a Wookiee friend named Bowdaar that tags along to make them cooler too.

BioWare has revealed that the Wookiee warrior will be a companion for the smuggler class in the game. Bowdaar is impressively said to fight "without the benefit of armor or weapons," and is so good that some call him an "immortal creature who can't be killed." He was enslaved as a child and forced into arena fighting, where he's won 10,000 matches in 108 years, including the besting of a Jedi.

The Old Republic's companion characters sound like a step up from pets in other MMOs. They have their own motives and opinions and can even introduce new quests, but players also have the ability to equip them with gear and activate special abilities. They'll tank, provide extra DPS, heal, and control crowds of enemies.

Bowdaar joins previously revealed companions that include a Twi'lek pirate and stubborn droid, but I don't see either of them wearing a sweet pair of goggles, so Bowdaar is definitely the coolest I've seen so far. BioWare also revealed the smuggler's advanced classes - Gunslinger and Scoundrel - and his/her personal starship, with a gameplay video that explains the class here. I personally don't need to see it and knew my class choice once I heard the word "Wookiee."

Gee how orroginal. If you play a bounty hunter do you have to wear Mandalorian armor? You ARE NOT PLAYING HAN SOLO. SOlo and Chewbacca won't even be born for a thousand years. One of the things that made Solo cool was he was the ONLY smuggler with a Wookie co-pilot! If you can't play the original, apeing him like a Bollywood Musical version of Star Wars is lame.

That's actually that's pretty cool.

Star Wars TOR is turning out really well.

Not sure I like this. I mean I like the companion, but making him "immortal"? An immortal companion just seems like it would make the smuggler too powerful. I'm not sure about this.

I dont think they mean he is literally immortal, just ridiculously hard to kill.

Looks cool, really lookin forward to this one comin out.

Pugiron:
Gee how orroginal. If you play a bounty hunter do you have to wear Mandalorian armor? You ARE NOT PLAYING HAN SOLO. SOlo and Chewbacca won't even be born for a thousand years. One of the things that made Solo cool was he was the ONLY smuggler with a Wookie co-pilot! If you can't play the original, apeing him like a Bollywood Musical version of Star Wars is lame.

So much anger.
Chill out. It's an companion, optional one. You don't have to tag along with him nor any other. It's there to help people who like to play solo or can't be bothered to pug some group quest.

I'd rather not have any companions at all :P

Tom Goldman:
BioWare has revealed that the Wookiee warrior will be a companion for the smuggler class in the game. Bowdaar is impressively said to fight "without the benefit of armor or weapons," and is so good that some call him an "immortal creature who can't be killed." He was enslaved as a child and forced into arena fighting, where he's won 10,000 matches in 108 years, including the besting of a Jedi.

That sounds really cool and all, until you realise that every other Smuggler out there can walk around with the same Wookie at his/her side.

They try really hard to make him special and cool, but it feels like they're forgetting that this is an MMO, not a singleplayer game. Things like this loose their impact a bit in an MMO.

Also, everyone who saw the Wookiee coming, please raise your hand.

VanityGirl:
Not sure I like this. I mean I like the companion, but making him "immortal"? An immortal companion just seems like it would make the smuggler too powerful. I'm not sure about this.

Typical smuggler bravado, I bet a well aimed blaster shot would end that rumour. Or a well-aimed Force Lightening bolt in my case.

Bioware is aware they are making an MMO, right? Everything I seen about this game implies otherwise.

Damn.... I usually don't like MMOs, but I may have to put aside my prejudice for TOR.

CUnk:
Bioware is aware they are making an MMO, right? Everything I seen about this game implies otherwise.

It's an MMO done in the style of Bioware's single-player RPG's (to the best of my knowledge anyway). Every Bioware RPG has had companions that tag along with the main player, and this is no different.

Sigh, I wish that Bioware would go back and take some more inspiration from KOTOR again. Right now, TOR just looks like the Original Trilogy. So why not just make the game in the fucking OT? Do Star Wars fans really need to be guided along by the incredibly obvious OT references to realize that a game called Star Wars, is somehow related to Star Wars?

CUnk:

It is an MMO. But each character class is their own KOTOR story.
If you play solo, you basically get eight KOTOR's.

Isn't one of the main draws of an MMO the fact that you can make a somewhat unique character? If every other smuggler has a wookie companion named Bowdarr wouldn't that defeat the "coolness" factor of it? I mean, it seems like they could've at least randomized his name/fur color.

CUnk:

Exactly what I was thinking.

JeanLuc761:

It's an MMO done in the style of Bioware's single-player RPG's (to the best of my knowledge anyway). Every Bioware RPG has had companions that tag along with the main player, and this is no different.

I think his point was more that these companions seem to be more like those that you find in a single player game than those you find in an MMO.

Every smuggler will get the same companion? What are they thinking? Also, this is 3000 years before the movies, it has every damn right to be different.

Irridium:

CUnk:

Except that you don't make any difference in the game-world and therefore it will never be as engaging as KotOR.

This piece of news is so awesome, but I would've liked to name my Wookie.

Every smuggler with a Wookie companion will have a Wookie companion named Bowdaar? Yeah, I'm sure they'll all stand out among the crowd.

Having a Wookie companion is cool and all, but at least let people name them themselves, or give them a random name.

CUnk:

Thus, it will be the best MMO ever. It's like having a sports game that has nothing to do with sports, or a JRPG where all the characters can easily be classified as male or female.

I'm having a flashback to Knights of the Old Republic. More specifically, Mission Vao and Zaalbar. She's a Scoundrel class with a Wookiee friend (who is technically a Scout, but I digress). And Zaalbar can take a metric ton of damage - and deal about the same amount - before he's taken out.

*Similarity Checker starts pinging*

even if this game is getting nicely done, i'm still against it being an MMO game.

Well this is cool, but Han Solo found Chewbacca and they became friends. It was a special thing, Chewbacca gave Han the Wookie life debt and- oh screw it I want a wookie.

Also I hope we can get a Nogrhi Bodyguard at some point.

"I survived smuggling school and all I got was this stupid wookie"

So Bioware is getting desperate now by trying to replicate the old trilogy?

hm, I'll ponder on this.

Pugiron:

gee and here was me thinking one of the points of games was fantasy fulfillment...

hang on i'll be right back i have to burn half the games i own that let me do things that are "unrealistic".

/facepalm.

i just got done in LOTRO helping Aragorn reforge the shards of Narsil into Andśril and hunting Nazgūl with Legolas by my side i'm pretty sure i'm not mentioned in the books as doing so.

Chewbacca might not be around for 1000s of years but neither will the complete enslavement of the Wookies by The Empire or the massive depletion of their numbers. Wookies were historically close trading partners with the Corellians and Alderaanians and full members of The Old Republic yet by the time of Episode IV most from those systems didn't even know what a Wookie was. e.g. "walking carpet" "where are you taking...this thing ?"

Wookiees are highly intelligent, masters at advanced technology including hyperspace technology and have exceptional skill in mechanical repair. why the hell wouldn't you look to possibly have one on your crew if your business was shuttling a ship back and forth across the galaxy ? you are probably going want an exceptional engineer of some description because one of the very last things you want as a smuggler is to get stuck somewhere.

ultimately Chewbacca is framed as a unique traveling companion simply because there really weren't that many Wookies left by then.

one final point: every time i have seen possible companions referred to in relation to this game they have used language which suggests they are plural and your relationships whith them are flexable like in previous Bioware games. even this report says "will be a companion for the smuggler class" not "the companion for the smuggler class"

Hah! I want a wookie! Be like the silly sidekick of games!

It'd be interesting if there was some sort of system, like instances in WoW, where you're joined by your companion only in certain areas or missions where you're the only player there. That would go a long way toward making your companion feel more special and unique, instead of walking past 5 other Smugglers, with their own Bowdaars in tow, on your way someplace.

I agree that it is kind of lame, like a second-rate Han and Chewie. His backstory is kind of interesting, but he could have been something a lot more cool.

This game just got a whole lot better. Imagine your companion having loads of dialogue as well. Kick ass, forwarding it to my friends now.

I'm still waiting for them to tell me what the companion for the Sith Warrior will be:
I'm hoping for either that blind girl from KOTOR 2, or HK-47.

Or a Hutt!

I honestly can't choose what class I want to be...
First it will be trooper for sure though.

Nothing has interested me in this game thus far...and this still doesn't drag me in. Essentially we're getting pets in this game? I'm not dissing the game or anything, just saying my only attitude towards this game is nothing but indifference.

ThaBenMan:
It'd be interesting if there was some sort of system, like instances in WoW, where you're joined by your companion only in certain areas or missions where you're the only player there. That would go a long way toward making your companion feel more special and unique, instead of walking past 5 other Smugglers, with their own Bowdaars in tow, on your way someplace.

I agree that it is kind of lame, like a second-rate Han and Chewie. His backstory is kind of interesting, but he could have been something a lot more cool.

My working theory is that your companions will only join you in Story Missions. And nothing else. When you decide to continue the story, you'll end up selecting which companions you will need. The powerful warrior? The sly smuggler? The handy astromech droid? And then continue on with your mission(s). Perhaps changing members if you need to. I'm curious if Bioware will let player characters take the place of a companion or just tag along to help.

Outside of the story, I think you'll travel alone and have the option to join with other players for grinding, exploring, and maybe some form of Instances.

This is all conjecture based on what I've read on the official page. I could be wrong, but I'm confident it will play close to this. After all why make a MMORPG if you can't play with (and fight) other players?

Future Hero:
I'm still waiting for them to tell me what the companion for the Sith Warrior will be:
I'm hoping for either that blind girl from KOTOR 2, or HK-47.

Or a Hutt!

The Sith Warrior companion is a Twi'lek named Vette
http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/biographies/vette

HK-47 will be in it though. He apparently guards Darth Revan's tomb. Looks like a story or perhaps an Instance will take you there.

Honestly, my only complaint with this game is that you can't customize your companions. It sucks that 10 thousand smugglers are all going to have the same wookie.

HK_01:
Every smuggler will get the same companion? What are they thinking? Also, this is 3000 years before the movies, it has every damn right to be different.

Irridium:

CUnk:

Except that you don't make any difference in the game-world and therefore it will never be as engaging as KotOR.

Totally. I'll take 1 well written, well executed storyline over 8 flimsy ones, thank you very much.

How lame will it be to see 100+ identical Wookies running around in towns? Strange.

I also have to echo the sentiment that Han Solo was special because he had a Wookie tag along. It wasn't the Wookie that made both characters cool, it was Han Solo and the Wookie. You can't just tag on a Wookie to a lifeless MMO player-controlled character and expect magic to happen.

Something tells me Bioware might be approaching the MMO from the wrong angle. It's Bioware, I'm sure it'll be well written and scripted and all, and I'm sure all the cash they blow on it will mean it's balanced, but trying to replicated a personal, companion story in an MMO space just doesn't strike me as very productive. I always thought people play MMOs to socialize with other peoplee and create their own story rather than having one written for them, but maybe that's just me.

Becoming a smuggler in The Old Republic will reflect the life of Han Solo in every way possible.

My interest in this game goes down another notch. I'd like my character to be my character, not a knock off of the biggest douche is the movies.

tbth the fact you are "a lifeless MMO player-controlled character" is what they are riling against as is Guild Wars 2.

and it's no coincidence both are addressing the same thing as it's a serious problem with the RPG aspect of MMORPGS.

they are boring and fundamentally unrewarding if you are actually expecting to be "a hero" and play a role rather than just be player 203468 or whatever.

some people say you can't change that and just as many people moan about all MMOs having no innovation and not trying to do anything different.

i concur somewhat with the latter and don't believe in the former because for one thing i've seen tantalising glimpses of how it could possibly be done in some of the other games i've played.

take WoW for example: i should have NPCs bowing at my feet and throwing rose petals on the ground for me to walk apon and the king of Stormwind should be nervous about his position because of how blindingly awesome i am and the stuff i've done in and for that game world and i don't really care if other players can see the same stuff happening or not (obviously i'm exaggerating a little but you get the point) but every expansion that comes along some no name NPC no one has ever heard of or even worse some important NPC who i have dealt with loads of times before goes all

"you have to prove yourself so i know you're up to the task at hand, go kill 10 Boars"

(Boars that will respawn in 5 mins from my POV when really there is no reason for that to happen)
this happens again and and again and again ad infinitum.

"excuse me ? i am a fucking LEGEND y'know ! how many Old Gods, Demon Lords, Dragon Aspects and Lich Kings have you killed ? hmm ?"
". . ."
"seriously, my face should be on the money by now. kill the fucking Boars and whatever you were leading up to yourself asshole"

player interaction with NPCs is soooo pathetically under done that players actually think its extremely cool and make excited mention of a single NPC says something like "omg thank The Light you are here! nice to see command are pulling out the big guns" when you get off the boat in Northrend even tho it's fixed dialogue he says to every single yokel that passes through.

on the other hand one of the coolest parts of the whole of WOTLK for me was the two isolated NPCS in the whole expansion who actually made direct and specific reference to who i was and my previous deeds (those being Bolvar Fordragon and Gryan Stoutmantle if you are familiar with the game)

and the worst part is this is the really simple stuff.

linking the quest or achievement database flags to NPC dialogue alternatives is not by any means a hard thing to do.

imo no one has joined up all the possible dots yet and there are also undoubtedly some dots i haven't even thought about.

i wanna see what both SWTOR and GW2 come up with before i pass judgement because both are moving in the right directing as far as im concerned.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here