PS3 Cracked With Modded Controller

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

PS3 Cracked With Modded Controller

An enterprising modder has created a new version of the USB mod chip, this time built into an official PS3 controller.

Those USB ports on the front of the PlayStation seem to have suddenly turned into a major headache for Sony. It just gets finished fixing an exploit that allowed people to play pirated games using a USB mod chip, only to have someone make a new hack using a modded controller five minutes later.

The good news for Sony is that getting the hack up and running on a Sixaxis or Dualshock 3 controller is fairly complicated, requiring a lot of fiddling around with soldering irons and PIC microcontrollers. It seems to work ok, although it's not clear just yet whether it gets around the most recent software update which prevented a number of third-party USB devices from working on the PS3. If the hack does work after the update, then it seems likely that Sony will again want to fix the exploit as quickly as possible, although the use of official controllers may make it a little bit trickier.

There will come a time, and possibly quite soon, where Sony will have to come up with a better long-term strategy for dealing with piracy than fighting a constant arms race with hackers. It wouldn't be all that surprising if it adopted a policy similar to that of Microsoft and banned any hacked PS3's it detected from going online. We'll have to wait and see what path Sony actually takes, however.

Source: Geek.com

Sony's response: It might EXPLODE!

Sony just can't win. It's kind of funny.

You can't win an arms race with hackers. It's simply not possible. There have got to be better ways for Sony to spend its time and efforts.

I think Sony will officially stop making PS3's, disable the controllers and hamper the TV cables.

While at it, they will send a secret code to the console, in which it will turn the PS3 into a Transformer, which will kill any X360 Player along with the cracked Hardware, capable for Self-Detonating (if needed) into a small Hydrogen Bomb.

LoopyDood:
Sony's response: It might EXPLODE!

well they just mess around with the electronics in a device that uses a documented explode prone battery type. Chance of it happening? bugger all. This is probably what Sony meant when they said that though as one of the first things asked on the scene after the last hack was if it could be built into a controller. Power on your PS3 with one controller and the hack runs, switch it on with the other and it boots normally, brilliant.

sunburst313:
You can't win an arms race with hackers. It's simply not possible. There have got to be better ways for Sony to spend its time and efforts.

Actually, you can. Simple updating and/or hiring said people. MS does this for it's Security Fixes, wouldn't be surprised if Sony pays a bunch of Hot-Pocket eating Russians to do the work for them.

I'm fine with someone jailbreaking their PS3 to get the most out of their system. As I am with iPhones. I however don't agree with pirating the games. Not now anyway. The games market is too competitive. Stuff like this could sink a small company.

Why do they keep making them? They lose money every time they sell one and they wont ever be able stop the hackers.

You know it's actually pretty funny; I remember reading a comic (I think it was on this site no less) that actually made a parody where Sony disables the controllers. I can't actually find it any more but;

They fucking called it.
Even if it was intended as a joke.

I'm not sure if that's frightening or hilarious.

Hackers will find a way to hack.

It's just about how long Sony can keep up before saying fuck it.

It's OK, now that they've released Move Sony can just remove Dualshock 3 functionality with an update.

MGlBlaze:
You know it's actually pretty funny; I remember reading a comic (I think it was on this site no less) that actually made a parody where Sony disables the controllers. I can't actually find it any more but;

They fucking called it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8093-Critical-Miss-34

Korias:

MGlBlaze:

They fucking called it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8093-Critical-Miss-34

Thank you! I must have skipped past it when I was looking for it.

Well, you can jailbreak the PS3 with a lot now, like an iPhone or TI-84 Plus calculator. I mean, they figured out how to work around the firmware update the day after it came out. So I'm sure people will find an easy and quick way to bypass this problem then share it with everyone else.

Also, wouldn't banning them be kinda pointless? People can just make a new PSN name for free anyways. :/

MGlBlaze:

Korias:

MGlBlaze:

They fucking called it.

Thank you! I must have skipped past it when I was looking for it.

You know, maybe thats what sparked Sony to remove the Other OS choice in the PS3, they felt like it could possibly, in some minute way, allow someone to hack the ps3.

And ironically, it seems as if all of this has started occurring AFTER they removed the Other OS choice. Coincidence? Connections? Who knows?!

It will probably be short lived like the USB hack.

Can we stop hacking the PS3? It's annoying to get those system updates all the time!

Meh. I'm impressed that the PS3 hasn't been fully hacked/modded this far into its life cycle. I don't think any console in the last two generations have lasted this long.

But hackers will hack, so Sony probably shouldn't be chasing full tilt after it. It might actually be better to let the hacks sit for a bit, then hit them all at once with a big update, while banning them from PSN in the meantime.

TheYellowCellPhone:
Can we stop hacking the PS3? It's annoying to get those system updates all the time!

Truth. I am American, your shenanigans are fine so long as they don't directly affect me. If they do something needs to change.

Exactly how widespread is this sort of thing? Are thousands of people doing it?

gabe12301:
Why do they keep making them? They lose money every time they sell one and they wont ever be able stop the hackers.

Dude, that was so 2007 Welcome to 2010.

OT: Anything that Sony can do to hamper the hackers (aside from the aforementioned removal of features and crap) is a good thing. The hackers only make it worse for the legitimate customers.

Download a 8-20-50 gig game (MGS4 Reportedly 50 gigs) just to save a couple dollars? Yeah that would take to long. Also They have been keeping hackers at bay this long so good on them. They probably already start banning people with modded consoles. As for the Xbox talk going on its super easy to hack a Xbox. And it's been that way since release.

hackers ruin online gaming experience, I just love when I play COD online and cant kill a bleep bleep because he is boosting, or w/e he is doing to gain the advantage. There are reasons why games have rules and when hackers bend the rules the ruin the experience for everyone. This is one of the many reasons why I enjoy my PS3 over my xbox..

I would hire the hacker to find exploits so they can be fixed before the public discovers it.

But that's just me.

Mr. Gency:
I would hire the hacker to find exploits so they can be fixed before the public discovers it.

But that's just me.

Well, with every fix, there opens a new exploit. No firmware will every be hack proof. Some people are better at finding certain ones than others.

OT: I think it's pointless to open up the PS3 with a hack. You gonna run games from machines that are 10+ years old on it? Or, will you spend hours downloading 20+ gigs to get one game?

All this means for someone like me is another tedious update before I can play.

Thats what happens when you make online play free, it attracts hax0rs.

Well...there's a line between modifying your own property and infringing on copyright....unless you're modding your ps3, then there's no copying being done, sooo....what's the big deal here?
Both groups (sony and the hackers) are within their rights here.

-Samurai-:

Mr. Gency:

But that's just me.

Well, with every fix, there opens a new exploit. No firmware will every be hack proof. Some people are better at finding certain ones than others.

I figured, but it doesn't hurt to stay a step or two ahead.

Ah shit, can't people just leave it alone?! Stop hacking the damn thing! You're screwing with a good system and destroying it for the rest of us. Consoles can't handle hacks like PCs can; with a PC it's an individual setup, but a console is uniform, so if one person fucks it, they're fucking all of them.

Just buy the damn games, or wait and save up!
The time it's taken to hack the console, then download the games, then get them to work on a PS3 is roughly the same amount of time you could participate in a sleep study, or a hell of a lot more than donating time/blood for a cash reward which would easily cover, or at least put money towards, buying the game you've hacked your PS3 for in the first place!

oranger:
Well...there's a line between modifying your own property and infringing on copyright....unless you're modding your ps3, then there's no copying being done, sooo....what's the big deal here?

Hackers are really not within their rights. Hacking a PS3 has NOTHING to do with copyright, but it is tampering with a registered and protected product, modifying without the patentee's consent.
It's highly illegal, and if they bother taking it to court, Sony'll win so fast that the hacker'll wish they'd just got a sunday job and saved up 300, instead of the thousands the court fees'll cost.

Seriously, is pirating games worth the trouble anymore? And as for homebrew, why don't you put it on a PC or whatever?

Wait, I think they might have buried the lead on this one. A recent PS3 update disables third-party accessories? That's a big deal, and is one of the reasons I think we, as a people, should abandon consoles altogether! WHO'S WITH ME!?

*crickets chirp*

...damn.

oppp7:
Seriously, is pirating games worth the trouble anymore? And as for homebrew, why don't you put it on a PC or whatever?

I think the idea there involves the specific controller. Though one could easily just get their Wiimote or DualShock3 working with their PC on Bluetooth. Not hard people.

UberMore:

oranger:

Hackers are really not within their rights. Hacking a PS3 has NOTHING to do with copyright, but it is tampering with a registered and protected product, modifying without the patentee's consent.
It's highly illegal, and if they bother taking it to court, Sony'll win so fast that the hacker'll wish they'd just got a sunday job and saved up 300, instead of the thousands the court fees'll cost.

Wait so you're saying modding is illegal across the board. If I want to...oh...I don't know... cannibalize a DDR pad into a sturdier construction or modify a guitar controller so the pickup works or it has ten buttons (all of these are mods I have seen done) it's illegal?

Just checking.

BlackWidower:

UberMore:

oranger:

Wait so you're saying modding is illegal across the board. If I want to...oh...I don't know... cannibalize a DDR pad into a sturdier construction or modify a guitar controller so the pickup works or it has ten buttons (all of these are mods I have seen done) it's illegal?

Just checking.

Yes, yes it is illegal. It's modification without permission. Breaching the contract made when purchasing the product.

Now, what you've mentioned aren't such a big deal as they don't really cost the company all that much money, so these people probably won't be pursued and would be allowed to keep their pet projects.
But modifying something so that it intentionally breaks the function of an entire console AND damages every single company that makes any form of media for the console in question will probably be hunted down, or at the very least made impossible to use.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here