Kotick Takes a Swing at EA

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Kotick Takes a Swing at EA

According to Bobby Kotick, EA is structured completely wrong, and that's why it isn't number one.

Buying a studio and assimilating it into a larger corporate entity is the wrong way to go about making top quality games. That's the view of Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, who says that his company is structured in exactly the opposite way.

Activision likes its studios to retain their personality and culture, Kotick said, and that a studio's independent vision was what made them so successful. He said that apart from two exceptions, the people running a studio when Activision acquired it were still running it and the only thing that Activision added was a support structure to make the studio more successful and incentive schemes that rewarded success.

Kotick did acknowledge that EA was changing its policy, and was allowing studios like BioWare to retain their identities, but said that working to that model wasn't in the company's DNA. "You can't be a floor wax and then decide that you're going to become a dessert topping," he said. "[EA] doesn't know how to do it, as a culture or as a company, and it never has." Kotick said that it was easy for Activision to recruit from EA, and that developers often only worked with EA because they had no other options.

EA has attracted complaints from former staff members, most recently from Sledgehammer Studios co-founder Glen Schofield, who lashed out at the publisher for the way he was treated when he was the general manager of EA's Visceral Games . Of course, Activision has had staff upsets of its own, with the very high profile dismissal of Infinity Ward's co-founders and the subsequent exodus of staff from the developer.

Source: Edge

According to me, Bobby Kotick needs to learn how to shut his mouth.

Dear god Kotick... someone muzzle him.

You're saying that it was easy for you to pick up people from EA.

EA currently have Respawn entertainment... remember those guys? The ones you sued cause you didn't want to pay them... I'd say EA is a hell of a lot better off than you and innovates rather than copy-pastes their old ideas with new skins.

Anyway in short. Kotick sucks. EA rules.

Just wanna get in before someone misrepresents the Activision-Blizzard merger in this thread. That said, he's probably right. Financially speaking, anyway.

Oh bobby, do you just live life to piss off other people? I sometimes wonder if under all of this he is actually a nice guy and just does this for reactions. Then I remeber it's Bobby Kottick and this isn't bizzaro world.

This is all well and good Bobby. But it doesnt stop you from being one of the most hated men in the history of gaming.

Why do they let this man talk?

Bobby, the reason your number 1 is the giant merger you had with Blizzard, not anything to do with how you treat employees. EA was beating you until you merged with the guys who made the "money printing game", better known as WoW.

Kotick does have a point here. Having individual studios keep their identity while being part of a parent company is the best way forward; not only do the small companies get to keep staff and work ethic but they get the benefit of being part of an overall successful company which is designed to support them.

Ubisoft does it with their studios, Rockstar do it with theirs and even Microsoft have allowed Rare and Lionhead to keep their own structure and game-making prowess.

Another stupid thing from Kotick's mouth. I also like how he used the word 'schemes' like he's doing something wrong, which he likely is. Also, he's added in 'more structure' which likely alters the entire company like those he's complaining about.

Could someone please assassinate this guy? Not that he is wrong about what he said, he is just wrong about everything else.

Tell that to Infinity Ward, Bobby.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

I wonder how many people want to take a swing at Kotick.

And Activision are number 1 because of WoW; the stupid prick admitted that himself.

I think people just want to bitch about the guy. I honestly can't find anything bad in this news post. All seems pretty legit to me.

Sad and feeble attack is sad and feeble. We all know you suck Kotick. And we all know Activision is evil. You can't diss EA, because EA has Bioware, and Bioware is the god of video game making.

Yeah, but now there's the EA Partners program, where studios not only get to keep their personality and identity but they also retain all rights to their intellectual properties.

Suck it, Kotick.

Kotick... please... I'm begging you... if you can't shut up, please leave. You're making Activision look bad and you're making gamers as a whole look bad. And I would gladly buy EA products before buying anything else from Activision.

Riku'sTwilight:
Kotick does have a point here. Having individual studios keep their identity while being part of a parent company is the best way forward; not only do the small companies get to keep staff and work ethic but they get the benefit of being part of an overall successful company which is designed to support them.

Ubisoft does it with their studios, Rockstar do it with theirs and even Microsoft have allowed Rare and Lionhead to keep their own structure and game-making prowess.

Thing is though, those small companies only get to stay on the roster as long as Activision sees them being able to milk the series. I agree it's a great idea in theory to just let devs do as they wish with a support of a big publisher.

EA picked up alot of small dev games after Acti axed them because they didnt think, for example, Brutal Ledgend could be milked as much as Guitar Hero.

Pot: "Excuse me mister kettle, i believe you have no skill at orientating staff. and by the way, youre black"
EA may not have the originality of THQ (the Hyperion of game publishers) but right now id take [very bad example] over anything bobby kotick has touched

I had to edit this pre-post so i wouldnt get suspended. my original comment was VERY harsh

I think you're all taking this way too far out of proportions. Try looking at the situation this way, rather than 'Kotick taking a swing at EA':

Kotick loves making an ass out of himself. Why? Well, look at all the free publicity he gets from you, the Escapist news contributors, and every other video game news site. And every time he gets a response from another game developer or publisher? That is posted as well. Kotick keeps himself in the news, plain and simple. He's a high-profile man in a high-profile company -- and that's good for his company's sales because everybody knows the name 'Activision.'

Quite simply, the best way to get Kotick to shut up is to stop giving him media coverage. If everyone stop's posting about every single stupid thing he says, he'll most likely stop making such stupid comments.

hahaha o man this reads like a terrible comedy. XD

EA isnt #1 now could be due to, in no small part, the acquisition of Blizzard. If i remember for the longest time Activision was a nobody XD

to point the finger when they do the same exact thing is really comical. lol Oh Kotick don't ever stop, you are the game industry clown. And we all need a good laugh now and again RoFL.

"Activision likes its studios to retain their personality and culture, Kotick said, and that a studio's independent vision was what made them so successful"

Actually activision does the opposite of this. The EXACT opposite of this.

If they did do this they would have had more than one new IP (prototype) created by a company owned by Activision in the last 5 years. Activision aquires studios then burries them in focus groups, management bullshit and makes them create one IP once every year. Where are the games kotick? All i see is Guitar hero, Tony Hawk, CoD, franchised work and NOTHING else.

Raithnor:
Tell that to Infinity Ward, Bobby.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

This. Win.

Someone really is heading on out to get there head in the noose...he needs someone from PR with him a all times to stop him been an idiot

scnj:
Yeah, but now there's the EA Partners program, where studios not only get to keep their personality and identity but they also retain all rights to their intellectual properties.

Suck it, Kotick.

Basically what's said right here.

Bobby just thinks he can make the rest of the world seem bleak and horrible in comparrison to his WoW Game Company. He's admitted that he's number one because of WoW, and now he just keeps trying to pull other companies down oblivious to the people's hatred of him.

Sure, other companies might suck, or not do as well as him because they don't have an 11 MIllion subscriber MMO, but he doens't need to spend ALL his free time attacking them

LOL
Let me just quote this article:

Kotick's goal over the past 10 years has been - you couldn't make this up - "to take all the fun out of making video games." How? By instilling a culture of "scepticism, pessimism, and fear" amongst the company's staff based around the economic depression and an incentive program that rewards "profit and nothing else".

from: http://www.geeks.co.uk/7282-activision's-bobby-kotick-hates-developers-innovation-cheap-games-you

Zer_:
According to me, Bobby Kotick needs to learn how to shut his mouth.

Not just according to you, but according to everyone in their right minds out there.

Also, EA is smarter than Activision, they don't have Satan as a CEO..
At least that's my opinion.

Kotick is the Devil.

Kotick does not like games.

Kotick only wants our cash.

Up until recently I disliked EA for ruining a few developers (Westwood studios.. i miss you), but now Activision is taking the crown for being biggest ***hole in the business.

Kotick, seriously, stop talking, put someone else in charge and just sit back and enjoy your money. You're ruining gaming. Seriously, stop it.

the devil speaking again, he completely destroys game studios like IW and then sais that other people do it. Could someone press the mute button on his back?

Is it just me, or are these kinds of articles designed specifically to create 5-page-long "discussions" of people hurling abuse at Kotick? Not that I'm defending him, mind, it's just that I think we already know by now exactly the type of emotional reaction "Things-That-Come-Out-Of-Bobby-Kotick's-Mouth"-type articles are going to produce. Why waste space on the newsfeed for these things? Why can't we just have a "Bobby Kotick" counter on the front page that ticks over every time he opens his mouth, or something like that?

Andronicus:
Is it just me, or are these kinds of articles designed specifically to create 5-page-long "discussions" of people hurling abuse at Kotick? Not that I'm defending him, mind, it's just that I think we already know by now exactly the type of emotional reaction "Things-That-Come-Out-Of-Bobby-Kotick's-Mouth"-type articles are going to produce. Why waste space on the newsfeed for these things? Why can't we just have a "Bobby Kotick" counter on the front page that ticks over every time he opens his mouth, or something like that?

Moar views = Moar money. If every time a Bobby Kotick article is posted, The Escapist makes a profit, they'll keep doing Kotick articles. It's the reason why they haven't got rid of *insert Escapist video series that you hate here* yet: it still makes bucks.

And on that note, it's time to point out that Kotick is wrong again.

Kotick has said some weird stuff in the past, but he's on point this time around. If the studio has its chemistry set then there is no reason to make massive changes. Just give them additional resources and encouragement.

See, I agree with what Kotick is saying. The thing is, what he actually does is the exact opposite. In fact, he's far more aggressive about it than EA, which lands him straight into the self-earned title of massive hypocrite.

Pot, kettle, etc...

Dendio:
Kotick has said some weird stuff in the past, but he's on point this time around. If the studio has its chemistry set then there is no reason to make massive changes. Just give them additional resources and encouragement.

What he SAYS is right, but more importantly is what he DOES, and it's the exact opposite of what he SAID in this article.

chemicalreaper:
I think you're all taking this way too far out of proportions. Try looking at the situation this way, rather than 'Kotick taking a swing at EA':

Kotick loves making an ass out of himself. Why? Well, look at all the free publicity he gets from you, the Escapist news contributors, and every other video game news site. And every time he gets a response from another game developer or publisher? That is posted as well. Kotick keeps himself in the news, plain and simple. He's a high-profile man in a high-profile company -- and that's good for his company's sales because everybody knows the name 'Activision.'

Quite simply, the best way to get Kotick to shut up is to stop giving him media coverage. If everyone stop's posting about every single stupid thing he says, he'll most likely stop making such stupid comments.

Everyone knows the name "Activision" as "the company with that motherfucker CEO" that is not good for sales.

Maybe it would be good if this was publicity for a single GAME that was a bit negative, but if you're going to buy based on what publisher released it, you're not going to buy it if you have the preconceived notions that people have of Activision.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here