Nintendo Fixing Metroid: Other M Glitch Through the Mail

Nintendo Fixing Metroid: Other M Glitch Through the Mail

Nintendo knows what causes Metroid: Other M's game-breaking bug and can fix the save files of afflicted players if they have patience.

Some players of Metroid: Other M may have found themselves feeling like a Space Pirate hit with Samus's Ice Beam if unlucky enough to encounter a bug that completely freezes their progress. Nintendo has now discovered what causes the bug, and figured out a solution.

The official Nintendo support website has posted a specific page on the glitch, which permanently locks a door necessary to pass through to continue the game. According to Nintendo, the door will be bugged if after unlocking the Ice Beam players continue into the next room, defeat the enemies with "spiked, purple legs" to unlock that room's door, and backtrack into the room where they obtained the Ice Beam instead of continuing through the just-unlocked door. So don't do that!

Soldiering forward through that magical door will ensure that the bug doesn't show its red, locked face. Nintendo has offered a fix for those with save files cursed with the bugged door, but it requires using the mail, stamps, and packaging.

"If you are experiencing this issue, we are able to resolve it by fixing your save data," Nintendo writes on the support page. "For instructions on how to set up a repair by sending us your save file on an SD card, or for other options, please call 1-800-255-3700." I'm begging you, don't call the number looking for pizza, because that joke's been done to death and this is a serious matter.

It's great that both the cause of the bug and a solution has been found, even if it requires mailing an SD card to Nintendo (or mysterious "other options"). I'm just hoping that Nintendo's next console will catch up with its friends and offer the possibility to patch games online, because then this wouldn't have been much of an issue at all.

Source: 1up

This is great for people like us who browse gaming websites, but those that don't are sill fucked.

thats..........a little archaic..........

so you are screwed if your SD card gets lost in the mail, or even not having a SD card for that matter.

not trying to flame, but this is why I like the 360 and Ps3.

Nintendo has fixed the only problem with this game. It is now officially perfect.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. This is not a troll. Just an exaggeration.

What is this, 1997?

This is why the Wii sucks. A fix similar to this on the 360 or PS3 would be online within a week of the game's release, patched automatically as soon as you log online, and never posted on a news site.

^^
Obvious troll is obvious.

Covarr:
Nintendo has fixed the only problem with this game. It is now officially perfect.

P.S. Thanks

Until another game-breaker pops up, and you happen across both, and while one needs to go to Nintendo Japan, the other has to go to Nintendo Bermuda Triangle, but Nintendo cant send it from one to the other.

And if the next Nintendo console has a patch system in place, the other consoles will have self-correcting algorithms that instantly patch any exploit, and since PCs have been far ahead of both, the PC will be implanted in our brains, allowing us to mod and patch games as we see fit as much as we like and are allowed to.

Nintendo really should have a system for patching... And Other M was awful, I returned it before I even got a third of the way through.

They couldn't of put a free patch out through the Wii Store O_o????????????

Lightslei:

Nope, no patching of any kind, unless they released the ENTIRE game, with patch, for free through the store

cursedseishi:

Lightslei:

Nope, no patching of any kind, unless they released the ENTIRE game, with patch, for free through the store

Please tell me Nintendo's next console realizes that the internet exists. /Facepalm.

Lightslei:

cursedseishi:

Lightslei:

Please tell me Nintendo's next console realizes that the internet exists. /Facepalm.

yeah its kind of sad, its why there was no DLC for SSBB, becuase nintendo games don't support patches of dlc.

On one hand, I say they should have a system for patching games. Since bugs like this would end up being the pre-mature end for certain games. What if a reviewer got this bug?

On the other hand, Nintendo games are usually very bug-free. No doubt because they can't patch games post-release, they make it a bigger concern then certain developers who can patch later, or have the mod community patch things *cough* Bethesda *cough*

Not quite sure where to lean on this matter...

Lightslei:

cursedseishi:

Lightslei:

Umm... please define... "realizes that the internet exists"...?

With your SD card, send a photo of yourself giving a THUMBS DOWN! That should teach 'em.

Can't they fix it over the internet? Why is Nintendo so stingy about online support?

So when can we get a bugfix for Samus's personality? Where she didn't become a robotic child who can't face enemies she's killed dozens of times.

Douk:
Can't they fix it over the internet? Why is Nintendo so stingy about online support?

Because there's only 512 megs of memory built into the wii and I'm sure they don't want to clutter that up with silly things like updates that fix broken games.

In hindsight. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to build the wii with such a limited online capacity.

And in the time that it takes to send your card to them, have them fix it, and have them send it back, you could just start over your bloody file. Seriously, the game's not that long.

The Wii doesn't support patches? I didn't know that. That's pretty awful.

Awesome it will help the horrid writing!

Does this just put it into japanese so I can't understand whats being said?

-3 internets for nintendo's online "support". I'm not sure how loosly one can use that term

Ah, this reminds me of the days before the internet.

Isn't it funny how behind the curve Nintendo is?

As much as people want to complain about Nintendo not being on board with allowing downloadable patches, I have to say that yes, it may make for a ridiculous solution when a bug does pop up, but on the other hand, the inability of the developers to easily fix their games after they've shipped them forces them to actually finish the games and take extra care to get all the bugs before release, rather than giving them the option of saying "eh, close enough. Ship it now, and we'll just release a patch later if someone catches something we missed".

This is why Nintendo needs to get into DLC, they have the Wii Shop channel now they need to do something other than offer old games. They're called patches, Nintendo.

Except, Space Jawa, it very obviously DOESN'T force developers to actually finish games and take care to get all the bugs before release. This is an example, right here, of a developer who released a game with a game-breaking glitch. You are commenting on an article whose existence disproves your "No patches means bug-free games at launch" theory.

What happened to online updates?

Well. Tats certainly and old school way of doing it...as long as it works I suppose, but why cant they simply do an online approach?

What I don't get is why you have to send the save file per mail.
Why not just copy it from the SD card to a computer and use e-mail o_O

The ice beam is not so far in the game, if it were my save and I got that bug, I'll just restart the game.

So the patching process has infected even Nintendo now .... Will we ever see a finished and fully tested game ever again?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here