MineCraft Makes $350,000 a Day

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

MineCraft Makes $350,000 a Day

It seems there's nothing you can't build in MineCraft, even enormous piles of cash.

Retro-styled indie building game MineCraft nets its creator hundreds of thousands of dollars every day. The game, which currently costs around $14, is apparently selling one copy every three seconds.

MineCraft is almost entirely the work of a single person, Swedish programmer Markus Persson, and with no retail overheads, the money is going directly into his pocket. Persson has said that he was surprised by the game's success and that while he thought he could make a living from it, he never thought it would make him rich. Persson also claimed that he had received job offers from Valve and Bungie, but had turned them down.

The game has a simple objective - harvest resources and use them to defend yourself from wandering enemies - but people have used it to create amazing structures. Persson built a rollercoaster in order to test the rideable mine carts he'd created, and others have put together impressive houses - that later got burnt down - and even the floating city of Columbia from BioShock Infinite.

Despite its popularity, MineCraft is still far from being finished. Persson is working on a beta version of the game - which he says is nearly complete - which will be slightly more expensive than the alpha version that is currently available. Purchase of the alpha version secures your copy of the beta version and the finished product though, so if you like the look of it, it's worth getting in early.

Source: MCV

that's....that's....im speechless, maybe one day it will reach wow popularity

He turned down two prestigious job offers?

Well I can't condemn him for it seeing as I understand he's gonna get far on his own as it is, but still; Daymn!

I'm glad to hear it. When the final version is released (possibly on Steam) the guy's gonna be sleeping on a mattress made of cash.

And it doesn't nearly deserve that much. It's a fun little thing to do on the side, but it's far from amazing like people have been hyping it as.

Sennz0r:

Well I can't condemn him for it seeing as I understand he's gonna get far on his own as it is, but still; Daymn!

You don't know the terms of the offers. They might have included something like transferring certain MineCraft rights to the respective companies, which he obviously would have turned down.

ultimateownage:
And it doesn't nearly deserve that much. It's a fun little thing to do on the side, but it's far from amazing like people have been hyping it as.

Indeed. Sure its neat, and people make pretty amazing things. But I honestly can't see why people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever.

Sennz0r:

He's opening his own development studios (at least that was what he planned to do with the money).
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/09/minecraft-dev-to-start-his-own-studio/

Also, the above article is totally not complete without this:

I never heard about this game until now. Boy those graphics are ugly, then again it was all made by one guy. But damn, thats quite a lot of money being made in one day and all the money is going strait to this guy.

Bravo I say.

Tharwen:

Sennz0r:

You don't know the terms of the offers. They might have included something like transferring certain MineCraft rights to the respective companies, which he obviously would have turned down.

Yeah that's why I said I understood why he'd turn them down; if you're doing fine on your own you don't need a big company behind you.

Still, the way it was phrased in the article I did have a wtf moment for a bit.

Irridium:

ultimateownage:

Indeed. Sure its neat, and people make pretty amazing things. But I honestly can't see why people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever.

Because of the Survival Mode, which you can only play in the full version.
Classic mode gets old, frankly, but Survival? Where you're dropped in a massive, random world with nothing at all and you have to survive against the enemies of the night? Just freaking epic. The exploration, the discovery, the building, the crafting, the survival. It's just awesome.

And once the multiplayer is working properly, it'll be all of that with friends!!
The game is like Lego for the gamer, and I LOVE Lego.
Therefore: I love Minecraft.

It totally deserves the praise and money it's been getting.

It seems to me that this guy may have achieved one of the highest work:payoff ratios of all time, save maybe winning the lotto :P

All it takes is the right idea and the perseverance to pull it through.

And that is a lot easier said than done.

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:

Classic mode gets old, frankly, but Survival? Where you're dropped in a massive, random world with nothing at all and you have to survive against the enemies of the night? Just freaking epic. The exploration, the discovery, the building, the crafting, the survival. It's just awesome.

And once the multiplayer is working properly, it'll be all of that with friends!!

Well that would have been nice to know. I never even knew it had enemies or anything like that. What with everyone talking and showing off buildings and such.

Sennz0r:

He's making $350,000 a DAY. Every two weeks he makes enough to live off, comfortably, for the rest of his life. :p

ultimateownage:

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? For a $10 title it seems well worth the money, especially for players that love creative gameplay.

Dexter111:

Sennz0r:

He's opening his own development studios (at least that was what he planned to do with the money).
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/09/minecraft-dev-to-start-his-own-studio/

Also, the above article is totally not complete without this:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

That's both the most awesome and the most nerdy thing I've ever seen, ever!

I spent 3 days making a shitty little pirate ship, and this guy made THE FUCKING ENTERPRISE!?

On scale?

boholikeu:

ultimateownage:

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? For a $10 title it seems well worth the money, especially for players that love creative gameplay.

Because the building mechanics are boring and uninteresting, the enemies cheap shot me so I lose all my stuff and have to start mining all over again, and the crafting is really unintuitive. For the price it's okay, but I played it on the free weekend and I was already bored of it by Sunday.

Before I put in a purchase, I'd like to ask some players how long it takes to build a structure like this.

I mean, obviously this game require some commitment, but are we talking hours or days to build a proper house?

im so glad for him. way to go! :D

Danzaivar:

Sennz0r:

He's making $350,000 a DAY. Every two weeks he makes enough to live off, comfortably, for the rest of his life. :p

Nope paypal are going to take 2% per transaction + currency conversion fees. The Swedish taxman is going to want 20% vat and then 50% income tax. If had set up company he would only have to pay 28% corporation tax and taken the money out as dividend. Until he gets a proper business setup the only people that going to get rich are accounts and lawyers.

Im going to be adding to that any day now.

holy shit in a shit basket this is insane, thats more money that most people make in a a year and he pulls it down in a day, wonder how much he pays in taxes?

Irridium:
Well that would have been nice to know. I never even knew it had enemies or anything like that. What with everyone talking and showing off buildings and such.

Oh yeah. Survival mode makes the game.
Classic is cool, and the building stuff is fun, but survival is where the longevity of the game is. And it's awesome.

sooperman:
Before I put in a purchase, I'd like to ask some players how long it takes to build a structure like this.

I mean, obviously this game require some commitment, but are we talking hours or days to build a proper house?

Depends on the size and fanciness of the house. A large, super fancy one would probably take days. A simple, but nice one could be a couple hours. Just depends on the scope of what you want to build.

Its all well deserved cash.

Its a very fun, very good game, its very highly recommended.

Still scared of creepers though...

*Ssss...* "AGGHHH!!" *Fire arrows everywhere.

I got a free account a while back but didn't understand how to play, recently i got really into it since i read the article of the burning house here on the escapist and after watching some videos to lern how to get started on youtube.

All i can say is that this game is an amazingly weird time dump, you start with all this simple proyects like doing a huge tower or a huge mineshaft and then you find yourself planning like two or three steps ahead to be able to complete the original proyects, then the light and day variations make you have alternative tasks to do in each time so you can take advantage off the more time in a row possible. Then unexpected things happen like finding a lot of monsters deep in the hole in the ground, or a new rare mineral you are exited to try. All this things sidetrack you from your original goal, starting a snowball effect.

And that's only on singleplayer with simple proyects, having a huge proyect in multiyplayer must be very complex and intresting.

I'm glad this has paid off to the creator and that a game like this is succesfull these days.
It's cool that the guy is making a lot of money with a kind of more honest original timedump in stead of the next farmville. But i would kill to see what valve could have done with minecraft, it would sure be an intresting idea for expansion on their game types, maybe an MMO based on minecreft by valve THINK ABOUT IT!.

my god that is a butt-nuggetly insane amount of cash.. For making a game that looks so utterly boring.. 1 copy every 3 seconds also.. Wow.. Just wow!

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:

You single-handedly made me want to go and buy this.
Congrats. I'M CONTRIBUTING! 8D

Disaster Button:

sooperman:

Depends on the size and fanciness of the house. A large, super fancy one would probably take days. A simple, but nice one could be a couple hours. Just depends on the scope of what you want to build.

How about the roller coaster in the video, as an example? Not too extravagant, but fully functional. If you had to estimate, how long would you say that took to build?

albino boo:

Danzaivar:

Sennz0r:

I doubt very much his goal is to cash in on this and retire. He is most likely going to use that money to fund his next game and potentially his own company. That's the only way to join this industry right now, start with some flash games to fund an indie game, then use the indie games to fund a 'real' regular game.

Err, he was probably expecting it to take more indie games.

...Wow, I never though they would be making that daily...thats, rediculous!?

sooperman:

Disaster Button:

sooperman:

How about the roller coaster in the video, as an example? Not too extravagant, but fully functional. If you had to estimate, how long would you say that took to build?

I did something like that in bits and pieces. The actual time to lay the tracks and shape the blocks would probably be between an hour or 2. Though that doesn't take into account raw materials. First, you'd need a home to shelter your belongings, and yourself, a smelter to smelt iron ore into iron ingots, sticks you get from wood would have to be crafted into part of the tracks, along with the iron (but getting the wood is simple) and finally, you'd need a mine and the patience to dig around to find some coal (to fire the smelter) and iron ore. Once you have enough iron ore you could make your tracks, and your cart. All of that could take anywhere between 4 hours to a few days depending on how lucky you are with your dig sites and how many times you die.

Keep in mind that's a quick overview, actually experiencing those things yourself and crafting physical materials and shaping the world around you is more than enough reward for spending a lot of time mining, I even find the mining fun sometimes. But yes, doing those things yourself is usually a lot more fun and rewarding than I made it sound.

But I thought only AAA games were profitable!

I laughed until I cried when that house burnt down.

I know it is bad,
but jeez was that ever funny. It was like all of a sudden..."BOOM" no house.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here