MineCraft Makes $350,000 a Day

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Baby Tea:
The game is like Lego for the gamer, and I LOVE Lego.
Therefore: I love Minecraft.

Agreed. And as a nineteen year old I can't play with Lego. But I can play Minecraft. Win.

Future Hero:

Dexter111:

Sennz0r:
He turned down two prestigious job offers?

Well I can't condemn him for it seeing as I understand he's gonna get far on his own as it is, but still; Daymn!

He's opening his own development studios (at least that was what he planned to do with the money).
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/09/minecraft-dev-to-start-his-own-studio/

Also, the above article is totally not complete without this:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

That's both the most awesome and the most nerdy thing I've ever seen, ever!

I spent 3 days making a shitty little pirate ship, and this guy made THE FUCKING ENTERPRISE!?

On scale?

"This is a 1:1 scale model of the Starship Enterprise" this is prehaps the most awesome phrase ever uttered in all of geekdom.

albino boo:

Danzaivar:

Sennz0r:

Well I can't condemn him for it seeing as I understand he's gonna get far on his own as it is, but still; Daymn!

He's making $350,000 a DAY. Every two weeks he makes enough to live off, comfortably, for the rest of his life. :p

Nope paypal are going to take 2% per transaction + currency conversion fees. The Swedish taxman is going to want 20% vat and then 50% income tax. If had set up company he would only have to pay 28% corporation tax and taken the money out as dividend. Until he gets a proper business setup the only people that going to get rich are accounts and lawyers.

Yeah, because if you only make $130,000 a day, you're a poor bastard.

Disaster Button:
Mental image of playing MineCraft

You know, Persson deserves every penny that rolls into his bank account. He's getting my money, at the very least.

Thank you for your time, sir. I think I'll give the coaster a try, as a matter of fact.

Rallion:
But I thought only AAA games were profitable!

Who's big and mighty now, Ubisoft?

Calatar:
snip

Oh, I see. MineCraft makes 350,000$ a day, Persson makes about 130,000$ of that.
Still good money, though.

albino boo:

Danzaivar:

Sennz0r:

He's making $350,000 a DAY. Every two weeks he makes enough to live off, comfortably, for the rest of his life. :p

Nope paypal are going to take 2% per transaction + currency conversion fees. The Swedish taxman is going to want 20% vat and then 50% income tax. If had set up company he would only have to pay 28% corporation tax and taken the money out as dividend. Until he gets a proper business setup the only people that going to get rich are accounts and lawyers.

Ah yeah good point my rough math works him out at only getting $137,000 ish a day in that case. The poor soul!

Wow... the enterprise... My little minecart track and mine doesn't seem anything now. Must. not. play. minecraft!!!!

Holy...

Deserves every penny. That game is fun as all hell, I can tell you.

Unabletothinkofname:

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:
And it doesn't nearly deserve that much. It's a fun little thing to do on the side, but it's far from amazing like people have been hyping it as.

Indeed. Sure its neat, and people make pretty amazing things. But I honestly can't see why people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever.

Because of the Survival Mode, which you can only play in the full version.
Classic mode gets old, frankly, but Survival? Where you're dropped in a massive, random world with nothing at all and you have to survive against the enemies of the night? Just freaking epic. The exploration, the discovery, the building, the crafting, the survival. It's just awesome.

And once the multiplayer is working properly, it'll be all of that with friends!!

It totally deserves the praise and money it's been getting.

You single-handedly made me want to go and buy this.
Congrats. I'M CONTRIBUTING! 8D

Don't get too excited - you're being oversold again. "Survival" mode, is about as challenging as surviving your way through 2 year old's birthday party. The monsters are easily avoided, and death poses very little danger (since it's easy to store all your stuff in chests back in your lair) and therefore very little fear. I'm continually amazed by people in their Minecraft videos commenting, "Ooh, I'm scared now" when they hear some creature shuffling about. By the second "night" (~15 minutes of gameplay) you'll have already set up a fort that offers 100% security from things that go bump in the night, and, frankly, you can survive the first night just by elevating yourself on a pillar of sand, if you can't build a hole.

The crafting system doesn't promote exploration - there's no real reason to go mining for stuff when you can already build pretty much everything you need with the basic, readily-available resources of wood, stone & coal. Since the deposits of useful material (iron, redstone) are so small and sparsely-distributed, it isn't practical to build the large, fun, automated structures you see (like roller coasters) in Survival mode - it takes much too long to gather the stuff you need.

And the monsters are all pretty dopey & easily avoided. Sure, you can make the game difficult by intentionally endangering yourself, but that's like saying crossing the road is an extreme sport because you choose to do it with your eyes closed during rush hour.

Almost all of these problems are fixable - some with trivial code change.s The game has potential, to be sure, but right now it's barely more than a tech demo, or a virtual LEGO box. Let's hope that all this easy money will be put to good use by Notch.

He is definitly doing good. I am happy for him,, at least he can make a living on the things he loves to do. But don't forget about your education!

LOL! Made by one guy. That is amazing. I hope he makes millions.

Irridium:

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:
And it doesn't nearly deserve that much. It's a fun little thing to do on the side, but it's far from amazing like people have been hyping it as.

Indeed. Sure its neat, and people make pretty amazing things. But I honestly can't see why people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever.

Classic mode gets old, frankly, but Survival? Where you're dropped in a massive, random world with nothing at all and you have to survive against the enemies of the night? Just freaking epic. The exploration, the discovery, the building, the crafting, the survival. It's just awesome.

And once the multiplayer is working properly, it'll be all of that with friends!!

Well that would have been nice to know. I never even knew it had enemies or anything like that. What with everyone talking and showing off buildings and such.

Yeah I always get that impression, people are like "Meh, its just lego" but I never even knew about the creator until I saw all these huge buildings. And yet for most people its the other way around, they play the free version and don't know about the actual game part of the game.

This and the Star Trek thing means I am buying this tonight.

Logan Westbrook:
MineCraft Makes $350,000 a Day

It seems there's nothing you can't build in MineCraft, even enormous piles of cash.

Retro-styled indie building game MineCraft nets its creator hundreds of thousands of dollars every day. The game, which currently costs around $14, is apparently selling one copy every three seconds.

MineCraft is almost entirely the work of a single person, Swedish programmer Markus Persson, and with no retail overheads, the money is going directly into his pocket. Persson has said that he was surprised by the game's success and that while he thought he could make a living from it, he never thought it would make him rich. Persson also claimed that he had received job offers from Valve and Bungie, but had turned them down.

The game has a simple objective - harvest resources and use them to defend yourself from wandering enemies - but people have used it to create amazing structures. Persson built a rollercoaster in order to test the rideable mine carts he'd created, and others have put together impressive houses - that later got burnt down - and even the floating city of Columbia from BioShock Infinite.

Despite its popularity, MineCraft is still far from being finished. Persson is working on a beta version of the game - which he says is nearly complete - which will be slightly more expensive than the alpha version that is currently available. Purchase of the alpha version secures your copy of the beta version and the finished product though, so if you like the look of it, it's worth getting in early.

Source: MCV

paypal fees, swedish taxes, they take about 50% off the total.
just to let you know, he's not earning 350000 a day.

albino boo:

Danzaivar:

Sennz0r:

Surely Paypal are just taking away from the sales there? And that's covered by the price anyway, it's kind of the idea. Currency conversion fees? I've never ran into those where digital transactions are concerned....and I'm not really understanding where you're getting 20% VAT on $350,000. The VAT applies to individual sales...
The income tax, however. This bit is slightly confusing. I don't know where you got 50% from. That much doesn't make any sense. Hell, last I heard income tax was approaching 30% and everyone was upset. But does income tax even apply to that? If he's not working for or owning a company...he's neither employed nor self-employed. So where does income tax get involved, if this isn't technically income?

It's worth pointing out that the price people are paying now is a mix of hype and the promise he's made to keep people who paid now updated until launch; he may have trouble securing sales further down the line as a result of this.

What the heck? Is he really selling 350,000 copies every 2 weeks?

That seems a bit much, even if it is an average.

Mechsoap:
that's....that's....im speechless, maybe one day it will reach wow popularity

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA! No way!

OT: $14 for a game thats not even finished? No thanks.

Percutio:

Actually, closer to 400,000 copies. Allegedly. Even after taxes and charges, that's an easy $100,000 a day. He's making a mint.

Rallion:
But I thought only AAA games were profitable!

This made my day xD.

Delusibeta:

Percutio:

Actually, closer to 400,000 copies. Allegedly. Even after taxes and charges, that's an easy $100,000 a day. He's making a mint.

Yeah but that number has to be new or based off a new average. Otherwise Minecraft would have sold 10+ million copies by now.

Weird... Double... Post...

If I could make a living off my own homemade indie game, I would be jumping for joy.

But one so successful that it gets me job offers from frigging Valve and from which the profits can fly directly into my pocket with such speed that I literally couldn't spend it as fast as I receive it?

I would have simply ceased to function because of a happiness overload. Hope this guy really knows how unbelievably lucky he is.

Thyunda:

albino boo:
[

Surely Paypal are just taking away from the sales there? And that's covered by the price anyway, it's kind of the idea. Currency conversion fees? I've never ran into those where digital transactions are concerned....and I'm not really understanding where you're getting 20% VAT on $350,000. The VAT applies to individual sales...

Try reading paypals terms and contions and you will find that charge additional fees for changing from say Dollars to Kroner, the currency of the country were he lives. Changing money from currency to another isn't free just because you can't see as the customer doesn't mean its not there He makes no charge for vat when he makes each sale, therefore he has to PAY THE VAT OUT THE $350,000

Thyunda:
The income tax, however. This bit is slightly confusing. I don't know where you got 50% from. That much doesn't make any sense. Hell, last I heard income tax was approaching 30% and everyone was upset. But does income tax even apply to that? If he's not working for or owning a company...he's neither employed nor self-employed. So where does income tax get involved, if this isn't technically income?

Incomes over 372101 SEK are charged at 50% and incomes 532700 SEK get hit at 55%. 30% is the basic rate of tax not the ONLY rate (not even the US has flat rate tax). Well it isn't a capital gain and seeing the he is not a business entity he going to have to pay as income, that what the taxman will argue

Thyunda:

albino boo:
[

Try reading paypals terms and contions and you will find that charge additional fees for changing from say Dollars to Kroner, the currency of the country were he lives. Changing money from currency to another isn't free just because you can't see as the customer doesn't mean its not there He makes no charge for vat when he makes each sale, therefore he has to PAY THE VAT OUT THE $350,000

Thyunda:

Incomes over 372101 SEK are charged at 50% and incomes 532700 SEK get hit at 55%. 30% is the basic rate of tax not the ONLY rate (not even the US has flat rate tax). Well it isn't a capital gain and seeing the he is not a business entity he going to have to pay as income, that what the taxman will argue

Uh... If he wants to keep even a fraction of that money, he better shut the fuck up about how much money hes making.

Hes already, undoubtedly pissed off a few people by "flouting" the (menial) job offers from "prestigious" development houses, and these people are not above running to whatever government to hit him with huge tax fines for "unreported" income.

Governments have taken down a great many projects and people simply because they didn't hand over x% of all proceeds. This sounds like its going to end up the same way.

I think that there is misinformation here. I do not believe he was offered any jobs actually. Besides frankly if you know the guy, you realise that he is a solo-type.

he earns every penny. It shows he cares about his craft and I'm glad he can reap the fruits of his labor

ultimateownage:

boholikeu:

ultimateownage:

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? For a $10 title it seems well worth the money, especially for players that love creative gameplay.

Because the building mechanics are boring and uninteresting, the enemies cheap shot me so I lose all my stuff and have to start mining all over again, and the crafting is really unintuitive. For the price it's okay, but I played it on the free weekend and I was already bored of it by Sunday.

Funny, that goes against nearly everything other people are saying.

To each his own, I guess, but given the amount of happy customers in this thread alone I'd say it lives up to the hype. This game seems to have a much better satisfaction rate than most triple-A games for five times the price.

BigBoote66:

Don't get too excited - you're being oversold again. "Survival" mode, is about as challenging as surviving your way through 2 year old's birthday party. The monsters are easily avoided, and death poses very little danger (since it's easy to store all your stuff in chests back in your lair) and therefore very little fear. I'm continually amazed by people in their Minecraft videos commenting, "Ooh, I'm scared now" when they hear some creature shuffling about. By the second "night" (~15 minutes of gameplay) you'll have already set up a fort that offers 100% security from things that go bump in the night, and, frankly, you can survive the first night just by elevating yourself on a pillar of sand, if you can't build a hole.

The crafting system doesn't promote exploration - there's no real reason to go mining for stuff when you can already build pretty much everything you need with the basic, readily-available resources of wood, stone & coal. Since the deposits of useful material (iron, redstone) are so small and sparsely-distributed, it isn't practical to build the large, fun, automated structures you see (like roller coasters) in Survival mode - it takes much too long to gather the stuff you need.

And the monsters are all pretty dopey & easily avoided. Sure, you can make the game difficult by intentionally endangering yourself, but that's like saying crossing the road is an extreme sport because you choose to do it with your eyes closed during rush hour.

Almost all of these problems are fixable - some with trivial code change.s The game has potential, to be sure, but right now it's barely more than a tech demo, or a virtual LEGO box. Let's hope that all this easy money will be put to good use by Notch.

From what I understand he's going to make treasure boxes and monster kills drop more "unique" items like the records. This would give players more of a reason to go out and explore rather than staying holed up in their fort the whole time.

Also, it's worth noting that this game is still in alpha.

BobisOnlyBob:
It's worth pointing out that the price people are paying now is a mix of hype and the promise he's made to keep people who paid now updated until launch; he may have trouble securing sales further down the line as a result of this.

Even if the sales totally stop today he still is a multi-millionaire (even after taxes). That's more than enough money to finish this game and have money left over.

BigBoote66:

Unabletothinkofname:

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:

Half the fun is simply looking at the amazing scenery, the other half is diving into a cave with dozens of offshoots with a bunch of torches, a pick, and a sword on Hard difficulty. Oh yeah, easy? Try death by a single monster, easily, and dozens of monsters each and every night, with dozens more underground.

The DSM:
Its all well deserved cash.

Its a very fun, very good game, its very highly recommended.

Still scared of creepers though...

*Ssss...* "AGGHHH!!" *Fire arrows everywhere.

*BOOM*

OT: 350,000 dollars A DAY? NOT EVEN THE TOP IN THE INDUSTRY COULD EVEN DREAM ABOUT MAKING THAT AMOUNT?

That is... $127,750,000 a YEAR! O.O

Even if that doesn't come to pass, that still makes him one of the most successful game designers IN HISTORY.

Pretty impressive :)

BigBoote66:

Unabletothinkofname:

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:

Alpha version, essentially, the full game will be much better.

Rollercoster, castles are all smalltime.
How about a 16 bit computer made in minecraft?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug

So wait, he is making idiotic amounts of money for what amounts to a complicated virtual version of Legos? What? I've played around with it a bit and I don't fully get the point of it.

I mean, good for him for being innovative or whatever, but I don't get the appeal.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here