MineCraft Makes $350,000 a Day

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Normally I read through all the previous posts before posting myself, but this is a subject i feel passionately about.This is one of the greatest games I've ever played and I've only played the classic version. I've lived out my fantasy of building a mountain fortress in a manner more grand than i could ever imagine. Speaking of which if you dislike this am you have no imagination. The developer deserves the money and i will be purchasing it soon

I'm impressed, but not surprised. Minecraft speaks to the obsessive-compulsive gamer. There are quite a lot of those.

Minecraft. Drug of the internet.

I read the starting his own dev studio link further up in this thread. I don't see creeper plushies being a huge success due to every minecraft nerd immediatly running away from them.

Still trying to get my carts to head back up top from my mine.

This shit is causing the downfall of America.

ultimateownage:
And it doesn't nearly deserve that much. It's a fun little thing to do on the side, but it's far from amazing like people have been hyping it as.

Do you have the full alpha version?

You know, the one that's part builder, part survival horror?

THAT'S the good part.

tehbeard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPls6LXlkGI

Feel better now?

lacktheknack:

tehbeard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPls6LXlkGI

Feel better now?

Must...resist... urge...for...self...plug...

Fuck it

I gotta say, someone with that kind of talent is my kind of Persson.

lacktheknack:

ultimateownage:
And it doesn't nearly deserve that much. It's a fun little thing to do on the side, but it's far from amazing like people have been hyping it as.

THAT'S the good part.

No, but I played it on a free weekend. I was bored by Sunday.

Pretty impressive for a game that seems to just be an 8-bit Gary's Mod.

MineCraft Makes $350,000 a Day Bank.

Seriously, that's epic news. Congrats dude.

BigBoote66:

Unabletothinkofname:

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:

Indeed. Sure its neat, and people make pretty amazing things. But I honestly can't see why people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever.

Because of the Survival Mode, which you can only play in the full version.
Classic mode gets old, frankly, but Survival? Where you're dropped in a massive, random world with nothing at all and you have to survive against the enemies of the night? Just freaking epic. The exploration, the discovery, the building, the crafting, the survival. It's just awesome.

And once the multiplayer is working properly, it'll be all of that with friends!!
The game is like Lego for the gamer, and I LOVE Lego.
Therefore: I love Minecraft.

It totally deserves the praise and money it's been getting.

You single-handedly made me want to go and buy this.
Congrats. I'M CONTRIBUTING! 8D

Don't get too excited - you're being oversold again. "Survival" mode, is about as challenging as surviving your way through 2 year old's birthday party. The monsters are easily avoided, and death poses very little danger (since it's easy to store all your stuff in chests back in your lair) and therefore very little fear. I'm continually amazed by people in their Minecraft videos commenting, "Ooh, I'm scared now" when they hear some creature shuffling about. By the second "night" (~15 minutes of gameplay) you'll have already set up a fort that offers 100% security from things that go bump in the night, and, frankly, you can survive the first night just by elevating yourself on a pillar of sand, if you can't build a hole.

The crafting system doesn't promote exploration - there's no real reason to go mining for stuff when you can already build pretty much everything you need with the basic, readily-available resources of wood, stone & coal. Since the deposits of useful material (iron, redstone) are so small and sparsely-distributed, it isn't practical to build the large, fun, automated structures you see (like roller coasters) in Survival mode - it takes much too long to gather the stuff you need.

And the monsters are all pretty dopey & easily avoided. Sure, you can make the game difficult by intentionally endangering yourself, but that's like saying crossing the road is an extreme sport because you choose to do it with your eyes closed during rush hour.

Almost all of these problems are fixable - some with trivial code change.s The game has potential, to be sure, but right now it's barely more than a tech demo, or a virtual LEGO box. Let's hope that all this easy money will be put to good use by Notch.

You are so TOTALLY and utterly missing the point of the game that I doubt explaining it to you will make you understand.

But anyway, you think monsters are harmless? Play on hard difficulty. You make it sound like you played on an unknown SUPER easy gamemode. The monsters are scary as hell when playing on hard. Try it if you haven't already.

I just can't make any sense of your second paragraph. You're saying that stone, coal and wood are the only materials you think are worth gathering? Mining for better and more durable materials is one of the most important aspects of the game. With better tools you can build and gather faster, and better weapons and armor are crucial when playing on hard. And also the feeling of finding a rare material is just golden.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence or something, but your post is just so ignorant and plainly wrong.

Everyone that's played the Classic version, go back to the site and buy the alpha. I spent an entire weekend on it, only taking breaks to eat and sleep, and it never got old. Because the entire (infinite) world is procedurally generated, discovering a massive cave full of gold and diamonds is so much more rewarding.

So buy it. Now. Especially if you were a fan of exploration in Oblivion/Fallout 3.

ultimateownage:

lacktheknack:

ultimateownage:

THAT'S the good part.

No, but I played it on a free weekend. I was bored by Sunday.

Huh. I guess you aren't the "build it" and exploratory type.

BigBoote66:

Unabletothinkofname:

Baby Tea:

Irridium:

ultimateownage:

Indeed. Sure its neat, and people make pretty amazing things. But I honestly can't see why people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever.

Because of the Survival Mode, which you can only play in the full version.
Classic mode gets old, frankly, but Survival? Where you're dropped in a massive, random world with nothing at all and you have to survive against the enemies of the night? Just freaking epic. The exploration, the discovery, the building, the crafting, the survival. It's just awesome.

And once the multiplayer is working properly, it'll be all of that with friends!!
The game is like Lego for the gamer, and I LOVE Lego.
Therefore: I love Minecraft.

It totally deserves the praise and money it's been getting.

You single-handedly made me want to go and buy this.
Congrats. I'M CONTRIBUTING! 8D

Don't get too excited - you're being oversold again. "Survival" mode, is about as challenging as surviving your way through 2 year old's birthday party. The monsters are easily avoided, and death poses very little danger (since it's easy to store all your stuff in chests back in your lair) and therefore very little fear. I'm continually amazed by people in their Minecraft videos commenting, "Ooh, I'm scared now" when they hear some creature shuffling about. By the second "night" (~15 minutes of gameplay) you'll have already set up a fort that offers 100% security from things that go bump in the night, and, frankly, you can survive the first night just by elevating yourself on a pillar of sand, if you can't build a hole.

The crafting system doesn't promote exploration - there's no real reason to go mining for stuff when you can already build pretty much everything you need with the basic, readily-available resources of wood, stone & coal. Since the deposits of useful material (iron, redstone) are so small and sparsely-distributed, it isn't practical to build the large, fun, automated structures you see (like roller coasters) in Survival mode - it takes much too long to gather the stuff you need.

And the monsters are all pretty dopey & easily avoided. Sure, you can make the game difficult by intentionally endangering yourself, but that's like saying crossing the road is an extreme sport because you choose to do it with your eyes closed during rush hour.

Almost all of these problems are fixable - some with trivial code change.s The game has potential, to be sure, but right now it's barely more than a tech demo, or a virtual LEGO box. Let's hope that all this easy money will be put to good use by Notch.

...You've clearly not been down in a mine when you realize "Yikes, it's night!"

And then a creeper hisses.

Also, one of the biggest frights I ever had in my life was when I broke into a large natural cavern (pitch black), dropped down, and got eaten by zombies.

And, materials are too rare? Keep looking. There's a giant 50+ iron vein somewhere nearby.

Also, you have to kill monsters for some resources (spiders have string, creepers have gunpowder).

Dexter111:

Holy fuck.

That is amazing.

OT though: Yeah, good for him. Minecraft is.......strangely addictive. Especially considering it looks so simple. Appearances are deceptive - It is a deep game. And a hell of a lot of fun.

BigBoote66:
Don't get too excited - you're being oversold again. "Survival" mode, is about as challenging as surviving your way through 2 year old's birthday party. The monsters are easily avoided, and death poses very little danger (since it's easy to store all your stuff in chests back in your lair) and therefore very little fear.

Trust me, while most of the time the enemies are easy to avoid sometimes they take you completely by surprise. I was genuinely terrified when, hiding in my lair during the night, a spider somehow found its way over my walls and jumped right onto my head. Seeing that effectively fly out from the moon onto my face was scary.

And when zombies pop out from around corners in some deep, dark natural tunnel, it makes you jump.

In fact, I'm going to go play some more right now.

I'm buying this tomorrow, I've already been playing the hard-to-get-your-hands-on 'demo version' that comes with only Survival mode, no multiplayer, and only half the sounds...

They'll make 350,010 bucks tomorrow I suppose.

Ya' know how that Extra Credits episode talked about the need for new types of MMO games? I think this could be it.

albino boo:

Danzaivar:

Sennz0r:
He turned down two prestigious job offers?

Well I can't condemn him for it seeing as I understand he's gonna get far on his own as it is, but still; Daymn!

He's making $350,000 a DAY. Every two weeks he makes enough to live off, comfortably, for the rest of his life. :p

Nope paypal are going to take 2% per transaction + currency conversion fees. The Swedish taxman is going to want 20% vat and then 50% income tax. If had set up company he would only have to pay 28% corporation tax and taken the money out as dividend. Until he gets a proper business setup the only people that going to get rich are accounts and lawyers.

Unless the business is centred in Lichtenstein or the Isle of Man. Very small business tax, equally low personal income tax.

Wow, after looking into this, I need this game :P

Tiamat666:
All it takes is the right idea and the perseverance to pull it through.

And that is a lot easier said than done.

And getting mentioned by Penny Arcade.

The next story we'll hear about Minecraft is, "85% of all copies of Minecraft pirated" or something to that effect. I'm really glad to hear he's raking in the dough for all his hard work now. This is what development and the game industry should be like. Work hard -> make good game -> game makes bank -> make game better OR make another good game

sooperman:
Before I put in a purchase, I'd like to ask some players how long it takes to build a structure like this.

I mean, obviously this game require some commitment, but are we talking hours or days to build a proper house?

The rollercoaster could've tooken thirty seconds, the starship enterprise could've taken three days non stop. It all depends if you hacked, or got the resources by yourself. It also depends on what you want to make and how comitted you are. It is super fun but you can try it out for "free" if you check on youtube

I do not condone piracy or getting minecraft free by searching how to get minecraft alhpa free on youtube and I also do not condone torrenting

He turned down job offers from Bungie... and VALVE?!

lapan:
Rollercoster, castles are all smalltime.
How about a 16 bit computer made in minecraft?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug

what the fuck.

another cool thing about minecraft is that the world generates itself. the cam in the video moves faster later.

the game looks good, but not 14 dollars good...not when i can buy RCT3 for like 5 bucks from Half Priced Books...but still the man behind the game is awesome, i admire his passion for game design.

Maybe $350 thousand a day now, but I doubt over a couple thousand a day just a couple weeks ago.

I swear, this thing is spreading like wildfire.

ma55ter_fett:

Future Hero:

Dexter111:

Sennz0r:

Well I can't condemn him for it seeing as I understand he's gonna get far on his own as it is, but still; Daymn!

He's opening his own development studios (at least that was what he planned to do with the money).
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/09/minecraft-dev-to-start-his-own-studio/

Also, the above article is totally not complete without this:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

That's both the most awesome and the most nerdy thing I've ever seen, ever!

I spent 3 days making a shitty little pirate ship, and this guy made THE FUCKING ENTERPRISE!?

On scale?

"This is a 1:1 scale model of the Starship Enterprise" this is prehaps the most awesome phrase ever uttered in all of geekdom.

Just so we can all remember this is not the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 this is the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 D. In other words the USS Enterprise D, Picard's Enterprise. To a real Trekkie is far more impressive than the Kirk's Enterprise, but I am still bugged a little by the fact that nobody is making any attempt to make the distinction.

It is still the best thing I have ever seen. It gave me a sense of just how big the D is. I also hope that this will go public and we are able to walk the decks of it in game.

Damn, that's alot of money...

But I'm glad that he's so successful, because A: he had a good idea and he worked hard to achieve it so he deserves it and B: This will help finance making the game bigger and better, and this game still has a ton of unrealized potential (so it's a win win ^_^)!

Dexter111:

Sennz0r:

He's opening his own development studios (at least that was what he planned to do with the money).
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/09/minecraft-dev-to-start-his-own-studio/

Also, the above article is totally not complete without this:

"Um I don't think anyone's really appreciated how big the Starship Enterprise is...and this might come as a shock to you but this thing is FUCKING ENORMOUS!"

I'm still laughing, that kills me. Still, that's fucking insane, honestly.

Making that much money he could just quit his job, and retire. That's very cool. He'll be earning my $14 soon too.

That really sucks that he's swedish. He needs to move so he can keep more than half of that money.

EDIT: Including estimated taxes and paypal fees, thats 45,625,000 dollars a year.

If it sold like this for 5 years he'd have 228,125,000 dollars.

I want to be his grand kid.

Without taxes 5 years worth would be 456,250,000 dollars.

All I can say is noice. I haven't really played it, but my brother is playing it as I type. :o

I find this pretty inspiring.

Just one dude...sitting about in his home making a little game for a few people to buy and BAM...
One rich son of a b**ch hahaha.
But yeh...this is really motivational.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook