MineCraft Makes $350,000 a Day

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Yea his hype won't last long. Unless he decides to release new stuff down the road ppl will get bored. Maybe i'm wrong but it just seems too good to be true.

lacktheknack:

BigBoote66:
Since the deposits of useful material (iron, redstone) are so small and sparsely-distributed, it isn't practical to build the large, fun, automated structures you see (like roller coasters) in Survival mode - it takes much too long to gather the stuff you need.

...You've clearly not been down in a mine when you realize "Yikes, it's night!"

And then a creeper hisses.

Also, one of the biggest frights I ever had in my life was when I broke into a large natural cavern (pitch black), dropped down, and got eaten by zombies.

And, materials are too rare? Keep looking. There's a giant 50+ iron vein somewhere nearby.

Also, you have to kill monsters for some resources (spiders have string, creepers have gunpowder).

"Yikes, it's night!" Really? Night is the only time I go down into the mines; it's always night down there anyway, as far as monster spawning goes. My typical duty cycle is: Days are for plant maintenance & base construction, nights are for mines.

And, in fact, materials are too rare. I know this because, after deciding I was done with the game (for now), I downloaded one of the map editors & flew around the bowels of my area, and confirmed, that, yes, mineral deposits were really just a lot of chunks 4 - 15 blocks scattered pretty much randomly. I'd like to see Notch work on producing a more simulation-based method of generating his world, like exists in Dwarf Fortress.

Areani:

BigBoote66:
"Survival" mode, is about as challenging as surviving your way through 2 year old's birthday party. The monsters are easily avoided, and death poses very little danger (since it's easy to store all your stuff in chests back in your lair) and therefore very little fear.

The crafting system doesn't promote exploration - there's no real reason to go mining for stuff when you can already build pretty much everything you need with the basic, readily-available resources of wood, stone & coal. Since the deposits of useful material (iron, redstone) are so small and sparsely-distributed, it isn't practical to build the large, fun, automated structures you see (like roller coasters) in Survival mode - it takes much too long to gather the stuff you need.

You are so TOTALLY and utterly missing the point of the game that I doubt explaining it to you will make you understand.

But anyway, you think monsters are harmless? Play on hard difficulty. You make it sound like you played on an unknown SUPER easy gamemode. The monsters are scary as hell when playing on hard. Try it if you haven't already.

I just can't make any sense of your second paragraph. You're saying that stone, coal and wood are the only materials you think are worth gathering? Mining for better and more durable materials is one of the most important aspects of the game. With better tools you can build and gather faster, and better weapons and armor are crucial when playing on hard. And also the feeling of finding a rare material is just golden.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence or something, but your post is just so ignorant and plainly wrong.

Oh, I completely understand the point of the game. I also see that it's a woefully incomplete alpha release, which is fine, but in my world, one doesn't pay for alpha software. My hours of playtime are far more valuable to me than saving $10 or $20 by having to pay more when the game is complete.

In fact, at the time I wrote the post, I thought I was playing on hard - I had set the difficulty to hard. However, since then I realized that setting the difficulty doesn't change the difficulty, until you generate a new world. A UI snafu, but that's what alpha's are for. It certainly is harder, however, I stand by my assessment that it is still unfrightening, since death is consequence free - you just respawn, which returns you to your base (if you're smart enough to defend your respawn point).

And the resources & crafting still need work. There really is little reason to mine for materials beyond iron; diamond is too rare to make it worth building anything out of it, and redstone dust is so rare that it is tedious to collect enough to build something interesting. Gold is completely pointless.

The DSM:
Its all well deserved cash.

Its a very fun, very good game, its very highly recommended.

Still scared of creepers though...

*Ssss...* "AGGHHH!!" *Fire arrows everywhere.

I hate creepers. Zombies don't scare me, I've never seen a skeleton, but I've been chased by 4 creepers at one time. I got away from 3 really easily, but that one chased me all the way to my house (I was sorta far away).

Thincrust:
Yea his hype won't last long. Unless he decides to release new stuff down the road ppl will get bored. Maybe i'm wrong but it just seems too good to be true.

even if it does die down quickly, he does now have enough money to live :P

2 nights ago, I spent ALL NIGHT watching a VERY long video series made about 1 guys adventures in Minecraft, it is seriously a crazy new internet drug!

Link to guys channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/davidr64yt

EDIT: WOOP! 1000th post! Time flies when your surfing the Escapist!

wtf, ANOTHER double post, what is wrong with me!

Holy crap.

Good on him, it's and incredible game.

Man, do I love this ga-

From VALVE!?

God damn...

Man I really need to get this. The best part in my opinion is just how open this is. Based on this simple randomized procedural world builder, you not only get a great sandbox but it's wide open for all sorts of different gameplay modes to be implemented.

And yet he can't finish it. Its fun as shit, but for god's sake he needs to get it out of beta.

Blimey:
And yet he can't finish it. Its fun as shit, but for god's sake he needs to get it out of beta.

It's not even in beta yet.

In any case, I paid for Mount & Blade back when it was in beta and never regretted it. I'm giving this one a chance too.

This Markus guy is a freaking genius. Most original game I've bought in about 5 years, atleast!

Thincrust:

Considering the game is still in Alpha, I think he's still going to add some more to it =)

Super Toast:
I'm glad to hear it. When the final version is released (possibly on Steam) the guy's gonna be sleeping on a mattress made of cash.

Not hust a mattress, he's going to sleep in a house made of money :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or