Size Restrictions Keeping Oddworld Off Xbox Live

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Size Restrictions Keeping Oddworld Off Xbox Live

The upcoming remake of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is exclusive to the PS3, but not by choice.

Just Add Water wants to bring its remake of the original Xbox's Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath to the console's bigger brother, but according to restrictions it just isn't possible. The studio recently explained the issue due to a steady stream of complaints coming from gamers about Stranger's Wrath being exclusive to the PlayStation Network.

Just Add Water says that it can only take so much of comments such as "Please don't be dicks, support 360." The truth is that the studio's members aren't being "dicks." If anything is being a dick, it's the size restrictions of Xbox Live.

Microsoft raised the size limit imposed on Xbox Live Arcade titles to 2GB last year, but JAW says the remake of Stranger's Wrath comes in at 2.1GB "without any updates." The 2GB limit is reportedly a limitation of the Xbox 360 hardware, and not an artificial limit such as those previously imposed by Microsoft.

Just Add Water has significantly increased the graphical quality of Stranger's Wrath to bring it up to current-day speeds. For example, the original model of the game's main character used 3,000 polygons, while the PS3 model uses at least 20,000. Just Add Water says it is working with Microsoft to get the game on Xbox Live, but that the final decision isn't up to them. As the 2GB limit is said to be hardware related, Just Add Water admits it has to pull off a "miracle."

But rest assured Oddworld fans, Just Add Water is not an exclusive developer in any way, shape, or form. It hopes to support the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 for all future releases if it can't with Stranger's Wrath. The studio has made it known, albeit vaguely, that more Oddworld titles are on their way, including the possibility of totally new games, and they'll come to every system possible.

Source: Just Add Water

Limit to the hardware?

So, waht they're saying is that those who bought, say, I dunno, a non-arcade X-Box 360... those guys aren't going to be able to play it?

But, can't they already play it by playing the original X-Box game? Or, is this one of those games that didn't become playable?

This is all sorts of goofy.

So why not "cheat" and release as an Games on Demand game?

Dioxide20:
So why not "cheat" and release as an Games on Demand game?

Cheating is wroooong.

Or they could, you know, make the original fucking backwards compatible like they said they would do with every 360 game. Oh wait, they quietly stopped working on that back in 2007.

Pricks.

Because honestly, I don't care about the graphics, I just want to play it because its awesome.

Credge:
Limit to the hardware?

So, waht they're saying is that those who bought, say, I dunno, a non-arcade X-Box 360... those guys aren't going to be able to play it?

But, can't they already play it by playing the original X-Box game? Or, is this one of those games that didn't become playable?

Its got nothing to do with the 360 hardware. Its the size limit on Arcade titles as they cant be over 2Gb. The 360 model you have is irrelevant

So what's stopping it coming to the PC then?

The games on demand(god) option isn't a bad one. I wonder if there is a minimum size requirement for god though.

Im gonna write an email about this to microsoft and recommend they raise the xbox live limit.

As already stated, can't they just make the original Xbox copy backwards compatible? That and timesplitters 3 were the two xbox games that I still wanted to play after I sold my original console, and low and behold I can't play them. It would of been less frustrating if they hadn't continually updated the backwards compatibility list with games of such fine calibre as "Barbies toilet cleaning adventures fun 3."

Stop making me pay for stuff twice you low down game rustlers.

...thats an ew one, from an Oddworld game I would have never seen that coming...

With Mass Effect 2 no longer a PS3 exclusive, I began to regret my purchase of my PS3. But news like this makes me feel ever so happy!

Interesting. Sounds like something they could have thought about, you know... before making the game it's current size?
It's almost like they're the ones who developed it wrong. Did they develop the game? Oh.
A shameful attempt to relieve oneself of blame if there ever was one.

Broken Orange:
With Mass Effect 2 no longer a PS3 exclusive, I began to regret my purchase of my PS3. But news like this makes me feel ever so happy!

Wait, what?
Mass Effect 2 was never a PS3 exclusive.
It was a 360 and PC exclusive until recently.

Aww, I loved that game... Oh well, hopefully they release it as a game on demand, or lower the graphics quality.

Broken Orange:

"No longer a PS3 exclusive"? Say what? You realize ME2 is coming to the PS3 last, right? Or is your syntax just confusing me? It was on 360 and PC only, for a time, and still is, until Q1 next year.

Broken Orange:

image as other people have said. Mass Effect 2 was a 360 and Pc exclusive until a year before launch.

and you have free online so... whats to regret?

on an unrelated note: ODDWOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRLLLLLLLLDD!!!!11!!1eleven!! gotta dig out the other now!

Broken Orange:

When was Mass Effect 2 ever a PS3 Exclusive?

Credge:
Limit to the hardware?

Games-On-Demand....games............ dont flow under the arcade bridge, thus why Mass Effect is 6.8 Gb, Arcade was planned for small games much like its real-world equivalent.

the only goofy thing here is why its not in Games-On-Demand or X-Box Originals.

Microsoft never ceases to shit on us with idiotic limitations and systems.

What ever happened to the Oddbox!? C'mon, I'm dying for some Stranger's Wrath on PC!

I mean really, if they take much longer I'm gonna have to go through the trouble of finding a copy for the original Xbox and then rearranging my room (dig the Xbox outta the closet, grab my old CRT TV out of storage) just so I can play it.

Yeah Strangers wrath isn't backwards compatible but the other oddworld is? Where is the sense in this Microsoft?

Broken Orange:

...What?

Straying Bullet:
Microsoft never ceases to shit on us with idiotic limitations and systems.

and yet the best Online material for the consoles has appeared on the system...hmmmm.

Aw, shucks. I was looking forward to this.

I recall they were pretty pissed at M$ for the lack of support the game received on original release. I saw plenty of adds in mags at the time in the UK, though, but they might have been paid for out of JAW's own pocket.
Maybe this is JAWs way of biting back.

Or they could make the backwards compatibility actually work?

The Games on Demand service would be good way to circumvent all this nonsense.

Why can't you split the data into multiple downloads? 50/50, or even 90/10 to get the first one under the 2GB limit.

Darn

Broken Orange:

PS3 never had mass effect 2 as an exclusive i came out a year later on the ps3 then the xbox, you dont have reverse time travaling exclusives.

The_Deleted:
I recall they were pretty pissed at M$ for the lack of support the game received on original release. I saw plenty of adds in mags at the time in the UK, though, but they might have been paid for out of JAW's own pocket.

Um...what are you talking about? JAW didn't make Strangers wraith for the original xbox. It was Oddworld Inhabitants. And stop with the whole M$. Cause every company is out to make money. Just like $ony, with their whole 3D gaming.

Outcast107:

The_Deleted:

Um...what are you talking about? JAW didn't make Strangers wraith for the original xbox. It was Oddworld Inhabitants. And stop with the whole M$. Cause every company is out to make money. Just like $ony, with their whole 3D gaming.

Good point, thought I might have been confused there.
Either way: Oddworld Inhabitants were annoyed at the lack of support.
And thanks for the Business Model 101, it honestly never occurred to me....

Seriously? Is it that hard to come up with a solution?

Make it Part 1 and Part 2. Problem solved, right?

So did any of you actually read the article?

"The 2GB limit is reportedly a limitation of the Xbox 360 hardware, and not an artificial limit such as those previously imposed by Microsoft."

It says it's a hardware limit, not just something M$ says it has to be.

SmugFrog:
Seriously? Is it that hard to come up with a solution?

Make it Part 1 and Part 2. Problem solved, right?

Playing Devil's Advocate here; Even if it is that simple, why should Just Add Water succumb to making unnecessary changes and splits in the game just to work around the system? They can easily put Stranger's Wrath on PSN with no problem, and recently LIVE has taken some pot-shots at it (VALVe, and I'm pretty sure a few other developers, lord knows if I can find them.)

Overall, sucks for Xbox users, though I'm going to be getting a taste of Stranger.

...wait that came out wrong...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or