Analyst "Increasingly Concerned" About Medal of Honor

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Analyst "Increasingly Concerned" About Medal of Honor

Electronic Arts is giving Medal of Honor a big push but at least one analyst thinks it's at serious risk of getting pounded into oblivion by two of the industry's true FPS heavyweights.

Remember the episode when Pinky Tuscadero ended up in the hospital after being hit with a Malachi Crunch while she was crawling across the hood of her stalled car? Yeah, maybe not. But Kaufman Bros. analyst Todd Mitchell says that's pretty much the situation that Medal of Honor could find itself in when it comes out next month: Alone, exposed and caught between two snarling behemoths.

The decision to include the Taliban in the new Medal of Honor has earned significant attention from the press, but that won't necessarily be enough to attract gamers to the title. "We are increasingly concerned about the prospects for Medal of Honor," Mitchell told Gamasutra. "The game is not developing the level of buzz necessary to knock Call of Duty off its perch."

Even more dangerous than a failure to bump off Call of Duty, which EA has already acknowledged won't happen this year, is the possibility that the game could be caught in the crossfire between Halo: Reach, which brought in $200 million in first-day sales, and Call of Duty: Black Ops, pre-orders for which are outpacing even those of the hit Modern Warfare 2. Mitchell described the October 12 release of Medal of Honor, a month after Reach and a month before Black Ops, as "ill-timed." "We really don't see a rationale for owning all three of these games," he said.

Medal of Honor is being developed by Danger Close for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

given the experience i had in the beta, yeah, i don't have high hopes for the MoH franchise either. and i'm not referring to things that can be polished through a beta, i'm referring to the actual game itself.

Well, no matter how good a game is, it's not a good idea to release a FPS between CoD and Halo.

Well going by most internals they only expect 3 million units anyway so they already expect not to hit the 12-15 million units Black ops might take

I like the idea of a shooter based around the lumberjack mythos, but yeah it isn't looking all that promising in the execution. Like Capcom.

its a month between halo reach and black ops and a week before fallout: new vegas

from the very first trailer all iv seen in this is a copy and paste of modern warfare.
I really dont see anything about the game that distinguishes it or makes it appealing in any way.
I wasnt a very big fan of modern warfare 2 (though i loved the first), and seeing modern warfare just trying its best to be a clone of it really sucks in my opinion.

also, anyone else find it ironic the developer is called "Danger Close".

This game will do well. I have faith in it; hell, that's why I pre-ordered it. It won't do as well as Black Ops (which I will also pre-order soon and will be one of the games for my 21st birthday) but it will do well. These guys need to have faith in a product that looks as good as this. Just have faith, don't get so down on this thing.

Well I had no idea what the Pinky reference was about and having found it on youtube I guess you need some context for the scene because it was pretty dull; I've never watched happy days.

Badly timed release? hardly surprising, just about everything is going to be released in the next couple of months maybe this is one of those games that should be held over until Feb?

I think that there are a lot of people like me who felt disappointed with Modern Warfare 2, and will be picking up Medal of Honor over Black Ops. Bad Company 2 got me on EA's bandwagon, so I'm hopeful that MoH can keep the trend going. I'm not going to buy Black Ops. I'll rent it first.

It can at least try, has had the whole controversay about taliban behind it so will see what happens

Well no duh it's not going to be successful, their whole game plan was to copy Call of Duty's switch to "Modern Warfare". They even have a stupid Captain Price-looking character to try and appeal to the kind of people who think terrible characters like Captain Price are cool.

Andy Chalk:

"We really don't see a rationale for owning all three of these games," he said.

i'm planing on it anyways. i mean they are three "diffrent" games...

well if they fail itll be their own damn fault, they used to hold the genre before people really played cod or halo.

Nope not only is it a stupid idea to release the game between two of the biggest fps release's of the year.

But even on its own merits the game is bound to fail, It's just a dumbed down expansion of BC2. The weapon models, animation's and engine are all the same. The only difference is new maps and a new single player as well as some new player models.

Anyone who doesn't buy Black ops over this is just silly in my opinion, I'm not a Call of Duty fan boy there are much better game's on sale or that are going to be released that are far better than black ops looks. But compared side by side with MOH Black Ops looks far more polished.

@Javex You can't exactly judge Black Ops on it's predecessor when the game is developed by a completely different development team. Infinity Ward had no part in Black Ops (and if you haven't been living under a rock you'd know there isn't really much of Infinity Ward left).

Azdean Samih:
Nope not only is it a stupid idea to release the game between two of the biggest fps release's of the year.

But even on its own merits the game is bound to fail, It's just a dumbed down expansion of BC2. The weapon models, animation's and engine are all the same. The only difference is new maps and a new single player as well as some new player models.

Anyone who doesn't buy Black ops over this is just silly in my opinion, I'm not a Call of Duty fan boy there are much better game's on sale or that are going to be released that are far better than black ops looks. But compared side by side with MOH Black Ops looks far more polished.

@Javex You can't exactly judge Black Ops on it's predecessor when the game is developed by a completely different development team. Infinity Ward had no part in Black Ops (and if you haven't been living under a rock you'd know there isn't really much of Infinity Ward left).

Quoted for some serious truths.

Honestly, releasing a game between:
1. Halo: Reach (which already has over 1000 YEARS of online play completed)
2. CoD: Black Ops (All the MW2 fanboys will freak and swarm all game shops for it)
3. Fallout: New Vegas (YAY, more post-nuclear apocalyptic action, now with more FISTO!)
is a BAD move.

Profits = very little.
I'd wait and release it next year, just to make sure they can try and keep up.
Also, I'd buy Black Ops before anything, but Reach is WAY too appealing.

Yeah, can't say I'd be surprised if this were true. Did you guys see the trailer of the "sniper level" from which it looks like this article chose its picture? If you haven't, it's basically you sniping people really far away while some mentor or superior whispers in your ear and tells you what to do.. until the enemies find you and you have a bit more action.

It felt EXACTLY like COD4, but weaker since it wasn't new, fresh, or imaginative in any way. Besides, I always thought the beard guy looked strange.

What's that other one coming out that got delayed, the one that used the PS Move? That's the one I think has a better chance of being successful.

Man I didn't know it was already got a release date tied to it. I hate to say this, but it's going to drown in the popularity race. They could wait until after chirstmas so that all the kids that get cash spends it on the a warshooter game instead of striving for attention in were it is now

Poor Medal of Honor. However, I will only truly feel sorry for it if it commercially fails and it turns out to be a great game.

I shall not weep for failed mediocrity.

"We really don't see a rationale for owning all three of these games."

REALLY?! How about this for a rationale: They all look like they're going to be fun! Good grief, this is why analysts come across as idiots. I've never seen a statement that's so far removed from video game logic.

It really does look unbelievably average anyway. I might have bought it if it didn't look like a copypasta of CoD.

Well in Modern warfare's Medal of Honor's defense...

Damn, I actually began typing that ^

MoH never even caught my interest remotely considering how much the "Modern" war theme is now being used in every form of media beyond just games. And given its release conflicting with those of other titles, most people will have to choose one game over the other (likely Medal of Honor).

To me, of all the other games coming out around this time period, Medal of Honor seems to be the banality of the bunch.

I do not think anyone is giving MOH nearly enough credit.. First off the whole Captain Price thing is a load of bull.. The bearded guy you say is modeled after price is actually modeled after a Real Life Tier 1 Operator nick named Cowboy..

To move on and this is coming from a fan of the Halo Franchise the new Reach outside of co-op modes is just pure crap not because of bugs or glitch's or new aimbot's but because its just boring map design sucks,weapons suck,and the game dynamics..

Moving onto COD:Black Op's now I wont deny I do have this game pre-ordered just because some of my friends don't know the difference between Beta and Demo so I'm getting it so I can still game with them on my days off. But I do know a good percentage of people who after the the headaches of MW2 refuse to own another Call of Duty title or at least purchase black ops till the initial launch patch's roll out so they are getting MOH instead..

These are the bottom line facts though with these games.. Black Ops and Halo use P2P servers Halo is already starting to get jtag's using aim bots Black ops you can bet your money the modders will tear that game apart as bad if not worse than MW2.. Those of us with MOH will be sitting happily on dedicated servers with no worries.

I'm tempted to buy the game just to spite the controversy...

Not everything has to outsell MW2 or Halo, they can go by their own merits. I wouldn't be surprised if Medal of Honor would do fairly well.

Frankly, I'm not going for Black Ops since I vowed to not support Activision thanks to Mr. Kotick running things, though from what I have played of MW2 on my friend's copy, multiplayer seems just as frantic, spammy, and cluster-fuck-y as every. Not my kind of thing, I'm afraid.

I know plenty of people that are not interested in Halo. God another halo. DO SOMETHING ELSE MICROSOFT!!!!! Then there is the new Call of Duty. I for one will not be buying that game. Its no longer made by infinity ward. Its just another lame addition to the list of Call of duty games. I mean all the ones that have not been made by IW have basically failed. Call of duty three was a piece of trash and World at war was boring IMO. I also find it funny how people try to compare cod and medal of honor.Talking about how they are just trying to copy call of duty even though the original MOH came out like five years before the original call of duty.I see nobody saying well they copied first.MOH has been around for a long time and they have always made games that are very fun to play. Also this game from the looks of it seem to be alot more real than Modern warfare games. Dont get me wrong i really liked the modern warfare games.They had awesome stories and the way the game played out was cool. The thing is that all that left out the door when the creators of the game left IW. Battlefield bad company 2 has some really fun multiplayer action going on and its different from the way call of duty games play. You cant come from call of duty and play battlefield multiplayer and expect to use the same tactics and win unless you are camping but you might find your self getting caught with a rocket to the face or a building falling on your head or a knife in your back.They play very different and although the console fanboys who buy whatever TV tells them too will more than likely buy black ops people that are real FPS gamers will more than likely buy MOH on PC not console.fps on consoles are a joke anyways lol. IMO!

Modern Warfare 2 shunted PC players, and Treyarch can't make a heavy hitter. I would get Black Ops if I didn't laugh every time I saw Treyarch was developing a title. It's the deformed child that Activision keeps locked in the basement. If it wasn't for Activision having little choice, Treyarch would be stuck making Call of Duty filler for the rest of its life.

Rest assured, this will be very popular, successful.. filler.

The "meh" MP beta killed this game for me. It wasn't baaad, but it certainly wasn't great either. Been loving Reach, that will be enough for me for a while.

I think MOH should go back to its roots, back to the days of Jimmy Patterson and Germans that foolishly kick live grenades or attempt to smother them with their bodies to the laughter and enjoyment of all.

They should be concerned because of the terrible Multiplayer. <.< I really hope what i play in the beta isnt anything close to what is to be released. The game plays like BF:BC2 i rather not like to waste half a clip to kill a guy.

Everything just doesn't feel right. nothing feels fluid. weapons sounds weak. And after they showed the Apache gunship lvl...i complete gave up on the game. for so many reason. But thats just me.

Pingieking:
Well, no matter how good a game is, it's not a good idea to release a FPS between CoD and Halo.

True that, and this wont even be that good. Anything they do, I bet COD has already done better, and Reach is one of the most fun games Ive ever played. This game is done for, I think.

Definatly gona give it a try anyway, havent played a good shooty shotty game in a while :)

if they're so optimistic, makes you wonder why they even care about releasing the game.

Oh thank God.

As soon as I saw the word "Analyst" I thought "More Pachter bullshit?".

At least it's actually somebody who's probably actually a professional rather than him.

ive always felt that this wouldnt be a hit since the early days of the beta. no one really had anything good to say about it. if its going against black ops as well... I can honestly say im saving my pennies for black ops rather then this :/

Are these the same robots who came to the conclusion that there was an insatiable market for FPS titles?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here