Minecraft Creator Forming Own Studio

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Minecraft Creator Forming Own Studio

Despite being courted by both Valve and Bungie, the creator of Minecraft is set on forming his own game development studio.

Minecraft is undoubtedly the unexpected hit of the year. As of this morning, the sandbox building/survival game has sold 278,772 units through the game's official website. At 9.95 British pounds per copy, that translates to over $3,787,748 total earnings, and the game isn't even out of the alpha phase of development yet. When Minecraft enters beta, and eventually releases, the price-point is expected to rise. But even though it was reported that Markus 'Notch' Persson was approached by many AAA studios, he is starting up his own company, which is as yet unnamed.

"The status right now is that we're up to four people confirmed, and we're talking to several people," Persson wrote on his blog this week.

Much of Persson's time is occupied with the mundane details of staring a company. "Most my time these days is taken up by meetings and lawyers, accountants, banks, potential partners, potential employees, and the occasional interview," Persson said. "The few hours I do have to develop the game every now and then are mostly spent on looking into bugs and replying to emails."

Persson apologized to the community for not working fulltime on Minecraft, but it will ultimately create a better system for updates. "All this non-development work will result in a much nicer working environment, with talented people helping out with development, an actual office, and a much better way to deal with support issues, bug reports and feature requests.

"It's a good thing I didn't know how much work setting up a company would be when I started doing it..."

All I can say is good luck to Persson. I know that it's daunting starting up a new venture, but then again, I never had over $3 million in seed money. Based on the popularity of Minecraft, something tells me that Notch will be making games for a long time.

Source: The World of Notch via Gamesindustry.biz.

Congratulations to him. After toiling over a computer for years making fun little games, he has managed to coalesce almost everything that makes games enjoyable into a pretty simple yet immensely enjoyable title. Currently, he's living my dream.

And good for him! I think Minecraft is a great PC success story. That a simple looking game programmed by an unknown Swedish programmer can sell so many units by its own merit alone gives me great faith in the games industry.

All we need is Biomes in Minecraft now.

Wish him all the best. It's nice to see a one-man operation turn into a studio and I hope it happens for him.

The poor guy is working hard. He's making BANK, but he is working on a company. He publicly apologized for the delay in updates, but that statement was an update in itself. People are giving him flak when the game's only in Alpha. It's a real shame.

Good luck Notch.

If they're getting their own studio, then they should also seriously reconsider renaming theire product. Instead of Minecraft, it should be Minecrack, cause it's dangerously addictive.

Awesome for him! Hopefully we can have even more little gems like Minecraft from Notch's studio in future.
Actually, what is the studio going to be called?

...indie dev making a company...SELL OUT, HE'S A SELL OUT. May he be hated from this point foward.
...Nah, congrats man you deserve all your succes and I hope you have more time to relax in the enar future.

Congratulations! I'll not get Minecraft for a while, as I'm currently at Uni doing pretentious things for a year, and my lappy struggles with flash games and the first Dungeon Keeper. It's on my list tho, I swers it.

It makes a great story *sniff*. Major kudos.

Does he want to hire me? Cause I'm looking for a job.

Hehe, after all these Minecraft articles, and a certain fanmade trailer I decided to check it out and see what all the fuss was about...

...I can feel my A-level grades slipping away already!

Good for him. Minecraft is awesome.

Still, $4 million. From an Alpha stage game.

0_O

Bloody hell.

SeanTheSheep:
Awesome for him! Hopefully we can have even more little gems like Minecraft from Notch's studio in future.

Notch studios?

Actually, as someone already said the game is horrible addictive. I'd quite like to see Minecrack Studios.

I love Minecraft, and I'm glad that he's getting his own studio. He's earned it!

I can't believe how much money he's made on a game that costs about $10.

Aww, personally I was hoping he would sign for Valve to be honest, given their history for developing basic concepts and young talent...

Oh well, good luck to him anyway. ;)

At least it proves that all you still need to be successful in a venture is something truly innovative. Good to see that hasn't been lost over the years.

SeanTheSheep:

Well, he could just call it Moneycraft Studios, because that's essentially what it's doing.

A lot of people give me nasty remarks when I say that the Xbox Live indie games are shit. Then they remind me that these are not made by budget studios and it is normally just one or two guys. Of course, I reiterate that you don't need a big budget to make an awesome game. As of now, this is my shining example. This game was made by one person and it is more entertaining than 99% of the big budget titles in the gaming industry.

Greg Tito:
At 9.95 British pounds per copy, that translates to over $3,787,748 total earnings, and the game isn't even out of the alpha phase of development yet.

you should check your sources. it's not british pounds, it's euro.
http://minecraft.net/prepurchase.jsp

Hurray for Notch, he has made such an awsome game! :D

That really doesn't suprise me. A big CONGRATZ to him, and many thanks for making such a simple, yet excellent game!

Congratulations are somewhat hollow. Not sure how swedish tax laws work, but in the US if someone were to suddenly make 3-4 million, they'd have a choice between spending/investing(losing) most of it or having the government take it. Its not so much hes earned a studio, its that he either creates a transparent, structured, income/expenditure model or the government finds an excuse to steal most of what hes earned.

I seriously hope he doesn't sell out to one of those big companies...I don't even want to -think- about how they would destroy the dreamy game that is minecraft...*shudders*

DAMNIT, just thought of some awful possibilities. microtransactions..."expansions"...subscription based multiplayer...unmoddable code...

Good for him, making money out of his and his computer's love-child. If he just remembers to not sign any contracts with Activision he'll be fine.

Awww I would've loved him to team up with Valve. Wouldn't that've been great?

Greg Tito:

It's actually "The Word of Notch". Kinda easy to misread, I made that mistake several times myself when first visiting his blog, but uh, c'mon. You're a journalist! Fact checking! 8P

Holy...
Just imagine how much he's going to make once he gets it out into Beta and with a little more publicity. It's a great game and all, but still, this is crazy!
CRAZY GOOD!

I hope he can get rewarded for his efforts, but dammit, I don't want those big publishers ruining his creativity.

usually what happens with creative developers:
-make a small but enjoyable game
-game becomes popular
-bigger companies see money making potential
-buyout IP and person
-Games look better
-games start sucking and behave like everything else.

Greg Tito:

I think you will find that it's actually The Word of Notch.

mexicola:
Good for him, making money out of his and his computer's love-child. If he just remembers to not sign any contracts with Activision he'll be fine.

Seconded. Id stay away from EA too. The servers would die

FeralCentaur:
Awww I would've loved him to team up with Valve. Wouldn't that've been great?

He turned down the offer from Valve :)

Good for him as has made more profit that some AAA games and not even beta. Soon as out of beta and officially released will almost surely quadruple as every gaming media loves it and he is the underdog and is holding firm refusing big names and know doubt high intensives and everybody loved the underdog. Cause of this I would gladly buy this guy a beer and give him a tenner to keep going.

SeanTheSheep:

I assumed he'd just keep using Mojang Specifications.

CUnk:

SeanTheSheep:

I assumed he'd just keep using Mojang Specifications.

Hmm?
*Googles*
Oooooohhh...

Well he seems to be doing well enough to warrant it! Thats for sure!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here