Blizzard Confirms Cataclysm Release Date

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard Confirms Cataclysm Release Date

The rumored release date for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm isn't just a rumor anymore.

Last Friday, we saw more than a bit of circumstantial evidence that indicated Cataclysm, the third expansion to mega-MMO World of Warcraft, would be hitting shelves at the beginning of December.

The evidence was right on the money. Today, Blizzard announced that Cataclysm will be launching onto the hard-drives of WoW players everywhere December 7th.

"Cataclysm includes the best content we've ever created for World of Warcraft. It's not just an expansion, but a re-creation of much of the original Azeroth, complete with epic new high-level adventures for current players and a redesigned leveling experience for those just starting out," said Blizzard big boss Mike Morhaime in a statement.

"With the help of our beta testers, we're putting on the final polish, and we look forward to welcoming gamers around the world to enjoy it in just a couple of months."

WoW's previous two expansions - Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King - shattered PC sales records upon launch, and it's likely that Cataclysm will follow suit.

It seems that many college students will be facing their own personal Cataclysms, however, as the disaster strikes the world of Warcraft right at the onset of finals season. But come on, guys, what's more important: getting a good grade or getting your Rogue to level 85, huh?

(Blizzard EU)

Getting to level 85. That's more impressive than a degree, easily!

Can't wait. Been saving up for this for a while, and I've just found myself unemployed. Awesome...

Well, that explains the odd dates I got when I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition through Amazon...

I see theres going to be a LOT of failures this year... My condolences to the professors... Unless they get distracted by Cataclysm too!!

Crazy College Guy plan to get out of work/get laid. I think so

*Gets funnel, 2 cases of beer, and bra*

I could wait for Christmas to get this, but I think that's too long of a wait. Getting Collector's Addition ASAP.

Thats good for me though, cause I will get the game a week later after finals. Hopefully all the rush to start new characters and content will have slowed down a little bit.

cant freaking wait!

I have joined WoW again for this but i've promised my dad that I do my homework and revision before I go on.

Wow... I'm a casual WoW player but found this news to be rather exciting... Guess I'm more infested than I thought...

HA! I just took a weeks holiday starting Dec 7 and now I see this. Guess I shouldn't make any plans for that week.

At most, I'll take that Friday off work. However, I'm sure many, many people will take that whole week off, hit the midnight release, and play the damn game for 48 hours straight. I will not be phased when one of them dies like with WotLK.

So workplaces will be ghost towns that day. Dec 7th is officially WoW skip work/school day! Get your excuses ready!

finally! Its not that I care about cataclysm, its that I care that after cataclysm releases, blizzard gets to work on heart of the swarm!

The Rogue. Definitely the Rogue. 2 months and 2 days to go...

Kudos to the guys who worked out this release date before it was actually released, It'll definately be interesting to see how they're going to recreate the entire world, which is obviously no small task.

Also there's now cross appeal to other gamers, as those who don't like WoW can join the free trial to WATCH THE WORLD BURN. Then Blizzard will hit 12 million subscribers in about three months.

8bitmaster:
finally! Its not that I care about cataclysm, its that I care that after cataclysm releases, blizzard gets to work on heart of the swarm!

Uh, you do know that the WoW dev team and the RTS dev team (and the Diablo dev team, and their fourth MMO dev team) are completely separate, right?

and suddenly my life has a purpose... thanks blizzard

Good, now they can put some more energy into SCII: Heart of the Swarm.

RIP my social life, I better go buy a casket before Dec 7.

Seriously.

Good news everyone! You can now safely discard all your hopes of getting any work/studying done for the 8-16 weeks after the game hits the shelves! Gotta start coming up for some ideas on how to make money, since it's obvious that work is out of the question.

Sweet, just got my rogue up to 80 last week. Been really getting into WoW and I can't wait to see what they do with cata.

Xerosch:
Wow... I'm a casual WoW player but found this news to be rather exciting... Guess I'm more infested than I thought...

I'm not even a WoW player and I find this news exciting :) As much as I may dislike the game I must admit, for all its faults and evil corporate massiveness (haha) it's still an impressive feat.

After Blizzard screwed me with my account after it was hacked/stolen, I went back to EVE with CCP.

Besides, now days supporting Blizzard means supporting Kotick...and who in their right mind wants to do that?!

Bah, I won't be able to miss class that week, but my schedule is such that I should still be able to hit 85 that week. Helps that one of my classes is canceled that week :D

Edit: Dammit, one of my finals is that week (Weds, grrr) instead of finals week.

Onyx Oblivion:
Getting to level 85. That's more impressive than a degree, easily!

Eh rogues are 10 a penny although I suppose "Levelled a rogue to 85" would look better than "2:2 Media Studies". Warrior's where all the love is, everyone loves a tank :)

All I can say is about time they bothered to say it (funny the source is EU though). Its been confirmed since the first pre-cata events went live, as the Gnome "take back the city" quest tells you the release date. They also pretty much said it after saying the next Arena Season starts a week after Cata comes out, on the 14th of december.

I'm unimpressed so far from what I've seen and heard, so count me the rare person in this topic so far who isn't at all interested in the game. Now when they add player-housing, dance studio, and remove the Blizzard-Store, I'll be interested.

It's like an early birthday present! Blizzard always knows just what to get me!

John Funk:

8bitmaster:

Uh, you do know that the WoW dev team and the RTS dev team (and the Diablo dev team, and their fourth MMO dev team) are completely separate, right?

yes, but blizzard claims they aren't doing anything on heart of the swarm until cataclysm is released. I believe that is why nothing of it is shown at blizzcon.

*Cries* Why are the WoW development team so much quicker than the Diablo team? I just want to play Diablo 3.

It seems that many college students will be facing their own personal Cataclysms, however, as the disaster strikes the world of Warcraft right at the onset of finals season. But come on, guys, what's more important: getting a good grade or getting your Rogue to level 85, huh?

I'm actually going to be in the process of taking my finals the week it comes out. The world of Azeroth will simply have to wait for Fengor The Mighty Barbarian to save it from Deathwing's wrath so unlce sam can continue paying my tuition and indirectly allow me to keep paying the subscription fee. :3

Now I just need to call gamestop and have them change the shipping address so its waiting for me when I get home for the holidays.

Red Right Hand:
*Cries* Why are the WoW development team so much quicker than the Diablo team? I just want to play Diablo 3.

Because the WoW dev teams are working with a game that's been around and running for comming up on 6 years. The Diablo 2 team is, however, building a game from the ground up and holding it to the Blizzard gold standard. Patience young padowan, Blizzard will release Diablo 2 when the WoW dev team begins to riot over the amount QQ thrown at them on a daily basis from the forums.

KeyMaster45:
Patience young padowan, Blizzard will release Diablo 2 when the WoW dev team begins to riot over the amount QQ thrown at them on a daily basis from the forums.

Patch 4.1 = Diablo 2

Genius.

Awesome!

Now how about Diablo 3?

BlueInkAlchemist:
Well, that explains the odd dates I got when I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition through Amazon...

Indeed. I'm hoping that I ordered my in time that I'll actually GET a Collector's Edition. I'd hate to get an email saying, "Sorry, we ran out..."

Well there goes what little of a social life I had.

Isn't that Pearl Harbor Day here in the US?

Not that it's on purpose or significant, but, wow, a day of infamy indeed (at least if we are describing what me and my guild will get up to that day)!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, since we are tangentially on the subject: Pearl Harbor sucked, babe, and I love you.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here