Panasonic Reveals New Online Gaming Handheld

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Panasonic Reveals New Online Gaming Handheld

A new challenger has entered the videogame handheld arena: Panasonic's Jungle.

A new gaming handheld from Panasonic seemingly came out of nowhere this evening after rumors were flying that a mysterious piece of electronics would be revealed on MTV. These rumors turned out to be true with the reveal of Panasonic's Jungle.

After the star of Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory had explained the double-hand pervert wave and dressed up as a rideable human skateboard, his desire to be a jingle writer brought Panasonic to reveal the Jungle through the show, which might be a product not even in the same class as the DS, PSP, or upcoming 3DS. The Jungle is billed specifically as a handheld device for online games.

Details are still sparse, but the Jungle's website reveals that it'll be playing titles like the previously revealed Battlestar Galactica MMO, so PC-centric titles are in the cards. Whether it just plays browser-based MMOs or can handle the stronger stuff like World of Warcraft remains to be seen. Either way, it could fill a unique space in the gaming industry, if it doesn't go down like Panasonic's 3DO.

The Jungle has a clamshell design like a Nintendo DS, but incorporates a full keyboard below a touch pad and what look like two D-pads on its lower half. The upper half holds a screen that looks quite large for a handheld. It apparently has various slots in the front for possible memory cards or perhaps a video-out.

More information should be out on the device soon, hopefully including technical specifications, price, and what exactly it'll be able to handle. Hey, wait, are my eyes deceiving me or is that a picture of World of Warcraft being shown on the system in this accompanying screen grab from a promo video? Edit: No, the image is artwork from Runescape. Wishful thinking.

Nifty, is all i can say, more compitition is nothing but good news for gamers.

Oh, sweet, I needed something to hold my N-Gage up.

Looks like a Laptop without the computer.

Uhm... Okay. I hope they won't be offended if I hardly care.

Is that WoW? Doesn't look familarly WoW-ish to me. Just a cutscene from some random fantasyish game.

Anyway, sorry what? Panasonic? Really?

'A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS'

Aw, no fair. I called dibs on the story, like literally less than 2 hours ago I called dibs.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.236587-New-Panasonic-mobile-gaming-device-announced-on-MTV
so I win, Ha!

Seriously now: I reiterate what said earlier, I forsee another Ngage. Panasonic doesn't really have any experience in the game marketing buisness, and they're going up against Nintendo's DS. That system has outsold all of the big 3's home consoles and the PSP, all put together.

A portable device that can play online games...a laptop? I kid I kid. This thing could actually fill in an unused space in the market for portable online gaming, if a lot of people are into that.

And if you listen closely, you will hear the familiar sound of no one giving a fuck about a new handheld. Well that and the battle music of Pokemon SoulSilver.

The economy is going way down the shitter by the minute and Panasonic, who already has an uber-failed console under its belt, has just entered the hyper competitive handheld console market. To play online games, no less.

A true sign of the endtimes.

May Raptor Jesus take pity on our souls.

teknoarcanist:

*grins* that's harsh. XD (I just hope they do better than with the 3do, a little competition never hurts).

I might give it a shot, but it depends on the prize, game library and if I would have to pay for online service =P

Like anything new, Panasonic, I won't prejudge, hard as it may be, but you will have to prove it to me you are a contender.

Isn't Panasonic responsible for those god-awful Zelda games?
Or was that Philip's?

Either way, I'm decidedly "meh".

If it gives me portable WoW...I will still not buy it. It looks ugly, and I don't want a tiny screen for online games like that.

They actually did a great job on the 3DO back in the day ... I wouldn't be suprised if this is good as well. But they usually do what we are seeing. Tell absolutely no one about it.

Uh... huh. A portable with a keyboard? It's either going to be completely unusable for gaming or the system will be a slightly smaller laptop.

Still, good for them for trying.

Once you call plugin-based games "browser-based", there is no difference between them and standalone apps like World of Warcraft. They are both native code running with full access to the OS's APIs.

So, if this is running a Windows-compiled plugin for BSG, then it's a stripped down Win7, and is capable of running any Windows online game.

WoW is not "stronger" simply because it isn't in the browser. Fscking *Crysis* could run in a browser if you wrapped it in a plugin, with no appreciable performance loss.

Well, atleast the device can probably run Java based on the fact that they have it displaying the Press Image of Jagex Ltd's Triple Trouble artwork for Runescape as the screen image.

So basically it's a netbook with a different shaped case? I can feel the innovation pretty much blowing me over.. oh wait, I just left the window open.

StriderShinryu:
So basically it's a netbook with a different shaped case? I can feel the innovation pretty much blowing me over.. oh wait, I just left the window open.

Yeah, kind of what I was thinking... This really just seems like a smaller netbook.

I dunno why people would WANT that for an Online game.

Lets suppose this bad baby did get WoW, what would be the point? The PC would have much more fluid controls, PLUS add-ons.

Its wishful thinking, and IF they can do it right it probably can atleast give the PSP a run for its money.

...HOWEVER, MOST of the time, these things fail out pretty fast. If Panasonic can look at things like the NGage, compared to the DS, and tweak it, they could get some nifty niche appeal.

... IF they cant, it will more then likely just be garbage and obsolete in a year or two. It is always fun to see fresh blood in the arena. Nitendo/Sony/Microsoft is SO 2004

Unless it is much much cheaper than a laptop, I don't see why anyone would buy this.

It's nice to a new contender in the mix, although with this entering so late in the game it would have to be freaking amazing and have an impressive lineup just to survive. If it's reliant on currently existing titles like WOW I don't see it going to far just because so many people would rather play from their laptops with all their mods. That and playing something like MW2 on this would make you gimped because you have a touchpad instead of a mouse... Although that just may be my preference of controls for a pc game talking.

I want a handheld which you dont have to hack the shit out of to play games you buy at the store and are able to install a few applications (emulators and the like)

Handheld? Online games? Well, I can bet this won't be very popular in Australia, if it's even released here, unless they manage to roll out our promised internet overhaul early and these things are sold for under $200 at launch.

i wonder if i'll be able to order one from Amazon!

teknoarcanist:

I lol'd xD

This is the ugliest handheld I have ever seen in my life. It looks like an NGage and a laptop had a malformed offspring.

unabomberman:
The economy is going way down the shitter by the minute and Panasonic, who already has an uber-failed console under its belt, has just entered the hyper competitive handheld console market. To play online games, no less.

A true sign of the endtimes.

May Raptor Jesus take pity on our souls.

Hyper Competitive? If anything the handhelf market is the biggest one horse race out of any of the video game markets.

If this is some kind of laptop without a computer, but its capable of running MMOs like WoW, GW, etc etc, then it could possible work. MMO addicts who have to put up with college, school and jobs could take it to get their fix on the go.

RatRace123:
Aw, no fair. I called dibs on the story, like literally less than 2 hours ago I called dibs.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.236587-New-Panasonic-mobile-gaming-device-announced-on-MTV
so I win, Ha!

Seriously now: I reiterate what said earlier, I forsee another Ngage. Panasonic doesn't really have any experience in the game marketing buisness, and they're going up against Nintendo's DS. That system has outsold all of the big 3's home consoles and the PSP, all put together.

Umm... remember the 3DO? Yeah, Panasonic was one of the companies that released a 3DO model. They have experience in the game market.

That is one ugly piece of kit. Honestly, what is the difference between this and my Asus EEE 1000HE? Aside from that my Asus doesn't look like Steve Jobs nightmares made manifest.

Hahahahahahaha....Ha....hahahahahaha!

Wow, Panasonic just signed their own death warrant. Didn't they learn when Phillips tried to get into the gaming business and crashed and burned horribly?

Unless it can play WoW, I'm pretty sure that the console will crash and burn.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here