Force Unleashed 3 Not Dead and Buried, Says Developer

Force Unleashed 3 Not Dead and Buried, Says Developer

The Force Unleashed team is still figuring out what it could do in a third game, said TFU2's project lead Julio Torres.

Reports from earlier in the year that Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 3 had become one with the Force might have been a little premature, as Torres said that there is still plenty of opportunity to make a third game.

Speaking to Sci-Fi Now magazine, Torres said that there was still space in the Force Unleashed timeline - which fills the nearly twenty year period between the end of Revenge of the Sith and the start of A New Hope - to accommodate another game. The gap between the first and second games was around a year, which meant that there were a few years left before the start of the original Star Wars movie for LucasArts to play with.

The timeline was the critical factor, and Torres said that if the team hadn't left itself some breathing room at the end of Force Unleashed 2, then there simply couldn't have been a sequel. He added that the team was figuring out what might happen after Force Unleashed 2 in order to make the canon fit together nicely.

It sounds like the Force Unleashed team is in the very early stages of making a third game, although presumably, a lot of the groundwork has already been laid by the first two games in terms of technology. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 comes out for PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and DS on October 26th.

Source: Now Gamer

And I haven't even played the first one...

Trying to fit canon? HA! Darth Vader never had a secret apprentice. Why don't they just say this happened in an alternate world?A world where targeting with the force is ridiculously difficult. I can imagine Luke Skywalker in the wampa cave trying to grab his lightsaber and accidentally locking onto rocks and sticks that then hit him in the face.

This really irritates me. TFU1 actually had quite a nice story which was neat,self contained and well-much better than i was expecting in general. Why does everything need sequels? TFU2 looks like one big gimmick 'TFU but now with two lightsabres and Yoda!' And the fact a third one is in the pipe line,whilst unsurprising is still annoying.

Why cant they leave it alone? Its finished. The DLC follows the Darkside ending to its ultimate conclusion and the Lightside ending-well one would have thought that the Lightside ending drew a very final line under Starkiller's story. Apparently not. Just leave it alone!

Thomas Guy:
Trying to fit canon? HA! Darth Vader never had a secret apprentice. Why don't they just say this happened in an alternate world?A world where targeting with the force is ridiculously difficult. I can imagine Luke Skywalker in the wampa cave trying to grab his lightsaber and accidentally locking onto rocks and sticks that then hit him in the face.

Who says he didn't have a Secret Apprentice? George Lucas made it, he can stuff what the hell he likes in it and it will be cannon (As long as the story doesn't conflict obviously). It's not like the force Unleashed conflicts with any of the Movies is it?

Can't wait to play the second one, i loved the first one, it's so stress relieving to throw Storm Troopers around =D

I dunno, perhaps they could have his evil twin wielding 3 lightsabers?

No. There is nothing left for the third game to do. That's what happens when you make your character an unbeatable demi-god. So no Torres, there's nothing left for the series, just let the poor thing die already.

wee they are thinking about continuity as they ass rape it with having a guy more powerful then anyone ever that no one mentions again and repeditly beats up the biggest badguys for fun.

NLS:

What, like Zoro, but with lightsabers?

Is it bad that I'd like to see that?

arc1991:
Who says he didn't have a Secret Apprentice? George Lucas made it, he can stuff what the hell he likes in it and it will be cannon (As long as the story doesn't conflict obviously). It's not like the force Unleashed conflicts with any of the Movies is it?

He's never been worried about conflicting stories before, so why start now? And yes, I'm talking about the movies. I know the EU doesn't "count."

I think a bigger question would be why a secret Apprentice who could yank Star Destroyers out of the sky was less successful than a whiny farm boy who couldn't even lift an X-Wing.

Mandal0re:
This really irritates me. TFU1 actually had quite a nice story which was neat,self contained and well-much better than i was expecting in general. Why does everything need sequels? TFU2 looks like one big gimmick 'TFU but now with two lightsabres and Yoda!' And the fact a third one is in the pipe line,whilst unsurprising is still annoying.

Why cant they leave it alone? Its finished. The DLC follows the Darkside ending to its ultimate conclusion and the Lightside ending-well one would have thought that the Lightside ending drew a very final line under Starkiller's story. Apparently not. Just leave it alone!

That. I liked the plot for Force Unleashed. I liked how the game had a proper ending (if you beat it Light Side) and creates a parallel Universe if you go Dark. I've never been in favor of the second one and am in no way in favor of a third. Since this is Lucas-arts though, we probably won't have to worry about a fourth but, there is the chance that a spinn-off will spawn based around The Emperor playing Tetris while waiting for those latest Death Star schematics and, for Vader to call him back.

Force Unleashed was a good thing (except for the platforming). It could have happened (as the Sith have a thing where they convulsively try killing each other) but most importantly, it had closure. Someone needs to remind these story tellers what this Closure thing is. I can understand them wanting to add to a popular story but enough is enough a million-times over.

If they wanna fit the canon they should have made the first game set after the events of the movies, and possibly before the events of Jedi Knight games, or after. I don't care. I'm not really a big fan of the movies, but I don't like it when people fuck up with the canon stories. Force Unleashed was a very bad game. Both story and gameplay sucked. Not to mention the awful voice acting of the protagonist. Damn he was irritating.
I can already tell that they will have lightsaber stiles for third game. It's only logical. First game had you wielding one saber, second will have 2 sabers, third one will have choices between one, 2 and double hilted saber

Onyx Oblivion:

NLS:

What, like Zoro, but with lightsabers?

Is it bad that I'd like to see that?

i always thought he looked badass..........

OT: he is saying there is room in the timeline. does that mean that there IS room, or that they will MAKE room, because they are money grubbing whores?

FU1 had a good story and was a nice little addition to the Star Wars cannon, IMO. Took a trivial thing (creation of the rebel alliance) and made a story for it. The second... we'll just have to play. I can buy the whole "clone" thing, but it better not carry on afterwords, or they have an excuse to constantly use this character no matter what heroic death he may have, which is a shame, because in 1, he died a damn good death (lightside).

IF they make a 3 (but I know this IF is really a WHEN), at least use a new character. Starkiller was a had a nice story, maybe someone else could have a story to tell.

"...in order to make the canon fit together nicely."

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

That's funny, now if you excuse me, I'm gonna throw a Star Destroyer at those force proof Stormtroopers over there while punching Darth Vader with The Force.

Flamma Man:
"...in order to make the canon fit together nicely."

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

That's funny, now if you excuse me, I'm gonna throw a Star Destroyer at those force proof Stormtroopers over there while

Hahah! So true!

Well, Ill be happy if they leave it be, its had a good run, it dosnt need much more for itself - It redeemed itself somewhat, im happy with 2

I thought the issue wasn't to do with story, I thought LucasArts' new head honcho scrapped the project? Eh, they sound like they're making that statement up on the spot anyway. The sequel is merely the "Oh he was cloned" excuse. Only thing TFU3 could possibly to that's more cliche is have him wake up somewhere with amnesia.

The force unleashed is cannon? When did this happen?

It's a disgrace that's what it is.

So in the third game he'd be Grievous? With 3 sabers?

I hope we get to see more of that "What If..." content the first game had.

I don't believe The Force Unleashed needs a sequel. The ending of the first game pretty much wrapped itself up and told the story it wanted to tell.

gof22:
I don't believe The Force Unleashed needs a sequel. The ending of the first game pretty much wrapped itself up and told the story it wanted to tell.

Yes, but apparently sequels bring more money then new games. It seems they adopted the Kotick philosophy. Or they simply lack ideas for new characters and stories.

ImprovizoR:

gof22:

Yes, but apparently sequels bring more money then new games. It seems they adopted the Kotick philosophy. Or they simply lack ideas for new characters and stories.

I agree... at least with the first part, I don't know what the companies are thinking about new ideas or characters and whatnot, but I assume one thing they ARE thinking about was squeezing more money out of an idea that was at least semi-fresh (relative to other star wars ideas *rolls eyes*)

EDIT-

Soviet Heavy:
So in the third game he'd be Grievous? With 3 sabers?

Why not just have "Siamese Twin Starkillers" with 4 lightsabers? Or maybe even more than that! The possiblilities are endless!

FIRSTLY: TFU was awesome. I loved everything about it except for that bloody stupid swordfighting mechanic. Gameplay was awesome, story was awesome, and it fit quite nicely into established canon. There. I said it.

SECONDLY: A THIRD ONE? YOU GUYS HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED THE ALREADY-UNNECESSARY SECOND ONE! YOU SURE AS HELL DON'T NEED ANOTHER!

Adzma:
I thought the issue wasn't to do with story, I thought LucasArts' new head honcho scrapped the project? Eh, they sound like they're making that statement up on the spot anyway. The sequel is merely the "Oh he was cloned" excuse. Only thing TFU3 could possibly to that's more cliche is have him wake up somewhere with amnesia.

kotaku started the rumor that TFU 3 was cancelled but other game sites like gamespot ign or 1up never had an article at the time. Yes there was layoffs but it never mention anything from the TFU franchise. There was no exact statement from lucasarts that TFU 3 was cancelled. kotaku sadi from a source but what exactly the source was i don't know.

Okay, if there needs to be a third, then I demand the story goes something like this. (Following from things revealed in both the LS and DS endings)

We start off with The Dark Starkiller clone infiltrating the alliance and killing the Good Starkiller clone, then hunting down Vader through the Rebel encampment. In the meantime, through his espionage work posing as the "Good" Starkiller, he becomes morally conflicted as he begins falling in love with Juno, due to having to act as though he cares, and through that coming to actually start to care about her. Struggling to grip with emotions other than those tied to the Darkside, he seeks council from another. Rahm chastises him for being a typical, short-sighted fool, and tells him about Dagobah being a good place to sort out his thoughts. He goes, and finds Yoda, who believes him to be the first Starkiller clone.

Yoda councils him, explains to him that love is not born of the Dark Side, but can lead to it through fear of loss. At this point he realizes the truth, and that as long as Juno Lives, Vader will be able to control him. So he does what he has to do. He kills Juno, and flees back to Kamino, where it's revealed that the original Starkiller IS still alive, heavily restrained and incubated in a subterranean chamber, well beneath the original Kamino. He sets Starkiller free, and tells him what he's done, showing him some keepsake of Juno's that she'd never normally part with as proof of her death. (Ideally something to do with dead parents who were executed unjustly at the hands of the Empire)

That done, the two have an epic duel, in which you fight it out, Light Link vs Dark Link style, Only more Itachi/Sasuke in that the Dark Clone knows what has to be done, and has his own reasons for fighting Starkiller, namely giving the original back the powers he once possessed, along with a reason and drive to end Vader and the Emperor's reign forever. (of course, you'd play this fight from the real Starkiller's perspective, and the former Dark Sarkiller would be technically a lot stronger than you to start, although your force powers would upgrade to the ones you'd unlocked earlier as the fight goes on, until you're both equal, using a tiered health bar system like in the Vader fight in TFU:2)

Real Starkiller wins, and as Dark Starkiller dies, he tells the Real Starkiller the access codes to Vader's Flagship, the HIMS Devastator. Confused and vengeful, The real Starkiller takes Juno's keepsake, and hunts after Vader. Vader, now without Starkiller to keep him in check, has managed to break free of his prison, and return to the Empire, noted as a terrible loss for the Rebels (in which Rahm dies, to tie up that knot nice and neatly.) He searches for his Dark apprentice clone, but learns that the clone has disappeared. Vader begins to get a semblance of the plan that had originally occurred, getting as far as the Dark Starkiller had managed to infiltrate and had killed Juno.

He misinterprets this as a move to end his distraction and focus on the Dark Side, as he believes it to be, believing that Juno had no power over him, instead of the truth, and awaits his clone apprentice's return. The real Starkiller fights his way through Kimino, and all over the galaxy, as he's wanted by both sides, the Empire for escaping, and the Rebels for being a Turncoat (They can't be sure he's the real one, and someone killed Juno, after all).

Against all odds, Starkiller makes it back to the Devestator, within which the Emperor sits in Audience. Vader initially believes him to be the Dark Clone, however, once he comes in view, he draws his sabre, knowing that it is far from his clone.

EPIC.

BATTLE.

ENSUES.

And this time Vader is actually a challenging opponent.

The two battle back and forth, Vader obviously the superior in this fight. Starkiller comes to the realization that fighting with his rage is the exact thing that Vader wants him to do, and is part of why he is being controlled, then understands what he must do.

He will always hate Vader for the events that lead to Juno's death. As long as he lives, he will be bound to the Dark Side, no matter how hard he fights. There can be only one redemption.

Cue the cutscene full of flashback as He powers up his force repulse, to a critical mass that it's never reached before. He uses it as a new power, that the Emperor realizes that neither he nor Vader will be able to withstand, a power that will destroy the whole ship, and everyone within it. Just as he's about to unleash the power, he's shot from behind by Boba Fett, killing him instantly. He suffers the Emperor's fate a la RotJ, and falls down a reactor core shaft and is promptly obliterated.

Although dismissing the event and leaving the Emperor to his bidding, as Vader takes off his mask in his chambers, he respects the memory of Starkiller, who though he was twisted by the Darkside completely, almost utterly at first, still managed to find the light within, and would have ended the Sith's rule forever, had it not been for luck. Yoda feels the disturbance in the force and remarks that it is a sad day for the Jedi, and that only two now remain.

SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES.

You can fill in the first half of the game with The Evil clone doing things with the Alliance, "aiding" them on missions, while inadvertently trying to sneakily sabotage them at every turn.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here