Raimi Puts World of Warcraft On Back Burner

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Raimi Puts World of Warcraft On Back Burner

The World of Warcraft movie is going to have to wait until Sam Raimi is finished with a classic remake.

Sam Raimi might love being part of the World of Warcraft movie, but not enough to make it his next project. The director, known for Evil Dead and Spider-Man, will be taking on a Wizard of Oz remake instead.

Disney was able to convince Raimi to make its Oz: The Great and Powerful his next film, which probably wasn't too hard. Oz is being set up as a 3D followup to the recent Alice in Wonderland remake, a film that grossed around $1 billion worldwide at the box office.

Not that World of Warcraft wouldn't make a ton of money too, but it could come down to World of Warcraft just needing more time. Nobody involved would want to see a bad movie version of the world's favorite MMORPG, and Raimi said in late June that the World of Warcraft script needed "a lot more work."

Or maybe Raimi is just caught up trying to find the perfect part for Bruce Campbell in the land of Azeroth. It's not confirmed what this means for the eventual release of World of Warcraft in theaters, but it certainly appears to push the project significantly further away.

Source: Deadline

Well, thank God Tim Burton isn't making the new Wizard of Oz movie. I was already having nightmares of a Johnny Depp Scarecrow.

I'm sure Raimi will cast Bruce Campbell as the Wizard himself. Let's hope so.

Ooh fuck! My mum will buy this on DVD, and i'll have to put up with the fucking little retarded Munchkins and that horrible line in the song "Follow the yellow brick road"

Fan-Fucking-Tastic -_-'

Does it need remaking? Really! :(

Casual Shinji:
Well, thank God Tim Burton isn't making the new Wizard of Oz movie. I was already having nightmares of a Johnny Depp Scarecrow.

If Jhonny Depp was in it, i would find it a bit more amusing. :P

Seems to be taking a page from Blizzard's book amirite?

I kid, I kid, that was purely for comic banter.

I don't really mind, as long as the end product is given the attention and reception it deserves. Lord knows we need a video game movie done right...

Meh, Blizzard should get someone else. Raimi has some decent horror films under his belt, and Spiderman 2 was good. But tackling a massive fantasy film like Warcraft takes a lot of work. I'd rather see someone like Peter Jackson or something.

hmmm...a movie done million times, or a massive multiplayer game with 11 million+ fans waiting? i cant see the logic.

pff, just get the guy who made the dragon ball z movie to make it... that movie was awesome.......

This makes this about the fifth film about The Wizard of Oz coming up I've heard of. Odd.

Casual Shinji:

Apparently Robert Downey Jr is being cast as the Wizard. Take from that what you will.

I still don't get why a 'World of Warcraft' movie is necessary other than for namesake, especially when there's a perfectly good, more coherent 'Warcraft' source instead. Warcraft built up interesting stories and lore, World of Warcraft reinterpreted and retconned it to support MMO quests instead, which are for the most part just fillers and basic backstory as to why you need to kill things. It just...doesn't make sense to me to go the route with weaker storytelling, unless it's only for the fans.

Eh, anyway, I'm not sure that Sam Raimi is the perfect guy for such a movie, if it's meant to be how I picture it. Not that he isn't a great director, it just seems a big shift in style. But then, I have no clue how they're planning on pulling this off, so they might always throw us a curve-ball with some sort of Evil-Dead of Azeroth styled plotline.

@ Lawless

It's actually a Warcraft (3?) movie and not WoW. From what they announced so far it takes part during the Wc3 (Wc3:tft) campaign. Or well in that timeline or even before.

However most major sites of course call it the World of Warcraft movie because they haven't heard of Warcraft, Warcraft 2 and Warcraf 3... sadly :(

theSovietConnection:
This makes this about the fifth film about The Wizard of Oz coming up I've heard of. Odd.

Casual Shinji:

Apparently Robert Downey Jr is being cast as the Wizard. Take from that what you will.

Well, let's hope the world hasn't already been overly saturated with Robert Downey Jr's presence on screen by the time this new Oz comes out.

Maybe this will give Blizzard the time it needs to come to its senses, drop this whole "live-action" angle it seems to want and get to producing a feature-length CGI movie with the quality it's shown in its trailers and cutscenes. People would RISE FROM THE DEAD to see that.

I thought this movie was about how the Wizard came into Oz. So, its not really a remake. More of a prequel.

While I'm more excited that there will be a new Oz film, I feel very fearful for the end-result after reading this:

Tom Goldman:
Oz is being set up as a 3D followup to the recent Alice in Wonderland remake...

Alice in Narnia was uninspired and boring. Please don't f*ck up this important part of childhood, Raimi. I'm sorry if I'm dipping into hyperbole here, but Oz is as important to me as any other piece of entertainment that I can remember from my past.

I think it's quite obvious the only part Bruce Campbell is suited for is ... well ... every single one of em at the same time

Zing:
Meh, Blizzard should get someone else. Raimi has some decent horror films under his belt, and Spiderman 2 was good. But tackling a massive fantasy film like Warcraft takes a lot of work. I'd rather see someone like Peter Jackson or something.

Well, the guy does have talent, and I'll be damned if he couldn't make a good Warcraft movie.

What's that, it's called the "World of Warcraft" movie now? And it's about a character exploring and learning new spells? Yeah no, I don't really care anymore. There were certainly good stories in the Warcraft universe to be told, but not in World of Warcraft.

GoGo_Boy:
@ Lawless

It's actually a Warcraft (3?) movie and not WoW. From what they announced so far it takes part during the Wc3 (Wc3:tft) campaign. Or well in that timeline or even before.

However most major sites of course call it the World of Warcraft movie because they haven't heard of Warcraft, Warcraft 2 and Warcraf 3... sadly :(

Neither has Sam Raimi, just read his interview about the movie's production. He has zero clue about even Warcraft 3, zero. I mean, even people inside Blizzard are calling it the World of Warcraft movie now, they certainly have heard of their own creations.

Knowing how things usually go, the movie would probably end up retconning half of the continuity and just piss off the playerbase. Unless it somehow managed to center around brand new characters and the bloody authors actually did some bloody research for a change.

I can already see it now, Bruce Cambell is the Tin Man. "It's a trick... Get an Axe."

Bruce Campbell should totally voice a tauren rogue :D

but...we've already got The Wiz, Tin Man, Wicked, and Return to Oz.

Do we need ANOTHER Wizard Remake?

ciortas1:

And it's about a character exploring and learning new spells?

according to the link you sent is him saying he likes exploring and learning new spells not that the movie is going to be that

OT: Still excited for this although I have no idea what to expect. Also STOP MAKING OZ REMAKES .

@#$%! First Halo, now this.

I just want to see at least one of my favorite games as an enjoyable movie. Stupid Hollywood BS.

Oh gawd, another classic movie remake?! Do people really have such a big problem with slightly outdated special effects? Why the hell does the world need a remake of The Wizard of Oz? Who asked for this, and why aren't they in a nice padded cell somewhere far from society?

Maybe I missed something here, but how is "Wizard of Oz" in anyway a follow-up to a reimagined Alice in Wonderland? They are not by the same author, have the same characters, or even a shared setting...Don't get me wrong I'd likw to see a redone Oz (you know, besides the near obligatory oz episode from every cartoon or kids show EVER...) But I hope if its going to be a follow-up to the original film's story, they'll take a look at the actual book series that continued Oz's stories even before the film (At least I think thats the order they were written, though I may very well be wrong). But instead of calling it a follow-up to Alice, they could just have been accurate and said, "we needed a big movie to attach to our proposal to get this greenlighted, because pre-production alone is going to be a a s**tload of fun, because we HAVE to have flying monkeys...and by god we're almost there, we're at step RAGE MONKEY (cookie for those who get the reference and remember the Lets play this was from....so please guess wrong, for I am currently hungry and would rather hoard these treats :))
But like I was saying, as long as the film doesn't actually try to go from Miller's the wizard of Oz to Carrols great drug fantasy "Through the Looking Glass"....they could still be doing something original instead...come on Disney, Pirates, awesome as it was, HAD to guarentee you have run out of rides to turn sloppily into films, right? Leave the remakes of classic movies to the cartoons...

By the way, just how long now has Blizzard been saying this movie is "in the works" or talking to directors? If you actually have a dang script ready to go, make someone sign a contract...then they can't walk off to do some other movie. And really, no one here believes Blizzard doesn't know how to use the law...how many lawsuits have they pursued? And if you guys don't have a script or anything developed for this film you've been touting so long blizzard, don't bring it up again until you do...don't make fans like us have to lose respect for you guys based on what increasingly seems to be the equivalent of jangling your keys.

Andronicus:
Oh gawd, another classic movie remake?! Do people really have such a big problem with slightly outdated special effects? Why the hell does the world need a remake of The Wizard of Oz? Who asked for this, and why aren't they in a nice padded cell somewhere far from society?

People like this douche.

NO! NO NO NO NO NO!

Enough with remakes, bad sequels, and bad prequels. Make something ORIGINAL!

That goes double for you George Lucas!

Bruce Cambell as Mediv and Samuel Jackson as Thrall?

OT: This movie could be cool...at least give us a trailer :P

I think I can wait for a Warcraft movie.

Remember, kids, Movies Based On Video Games Always Suck. Even if Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell are involved, dimes to dollars it's gonna suck. Nothing against them, it's just games have a horrible, horrible transition into movies.

spartan1077:
snip

we're just trying to create realistic character that can live in the world of Warcraft, as though you were in the game itself,

Do you need everything spelled out for you? The guy has no fucking clue, and this means exactly that he thinks it's about exploring/levelling. He's not talking about the Warcraft universe (because he doesn't know jack), he's talking about the game.

The Great JT:
I think I can wait for a Warcraft movie.

Remember, kids, Movies Based On Video Games Always Suck. Even if Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell are involved, dimes to dollars it's gonna suck. Nothing against them, it's just games have a horrible, horrible transition into movies.

The Warcraft lore has just so much movie material. All it takes is a director that understands it.

If they really want to make a WOW movie, then they should take the story from Warcraft 3 because it is good and it's certanly better then to make your own which will certanly be shit.

You know, when they finally release the WoW film, there's going to be a helluva lot of complaints from all the classes that weren't the main character.
Fun time ahead.

Truthfully, WoW movie sounds interesting, that's if your a gaming nerd, but what would they continue it off of? The fall of a prince? The death of a king? The birth of a hero? Or turn to a more political story? Who knows all I care about is weather they make the movie or not.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here