Stan Lee's Next Big Thing: NHL Hockey Heroes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stan Lee's Next Big Thing: NHL Hockey Heroes

From comic books to television to superheroes wielding hockey sticks, Stan Lee can do it all.

Stan Lee's name can be found everywhere nowadays, with the famous superhero creator now becoming known for more than just comic books. Though his latest venture involves superheroes once again, these heroes mostly just hit a puck into a net.

The NHL has teamed up with Stan Lee to create Guardian Media Entertainment, which will oversee the Guardian Project: a set of 30 NHL-themed superheroes (one hero for each NHL team). These "Guardians" will incorporate "NHL elements," but their story won't take place on the ice.

The 30 heroes will be revealed during a presentation at the 2011 NHL All-Star Game on January 30, 2011, though a teaser will be shown at the New York Comic Con on October 8. The NHL and GME hope to bring a new audience of "tween boys" to the NHL, while also hoping to "engage the existing, established hockey fan base through a compelling tale of good vs. evil." I can understand the targeting of youths, but do they really think the hockey heroes are going to engage fans that cheer happily when players are knocking each others' teeth out?

Though the heroes may sound shallow, Lee says the Guardians will have an "epic story" behind them. They won't be based off of mascots, but they will feature powers based on their associated teams' names. For example, the Philadelphia Flyers hero will be able to fly, while the Calgary Flames hero will be able to control fire. The heroes will also have personal rivalries based on NHL team rivalries, and will exhibit "personal problems and hang-ups." This is starting to become less fun.

The Guardians are planned for use in comic books, a novel, mobile applications, television, and film. I think it's safe to say that Stan Lee will make anybody or anything into a superhero if the price is right, even an Anaheim Duck. You know, I can't really blame him: I like money too.

Source: USA Today

I can't wait to see the Dallas Stars superpower.

Some teams are going to have some cool super powers, but what about the Penguins, Ducks, and other teams. Is the Canucks super power going to be a Canadian?

Ooooh, I can't wait to see what'll be in store for the Wild! This shall be interesting!

ForgottenPr0digy:
I can't wait to see the Dallas Stars superpower.

Either a Twilight vampire or the power to be a giant Fusion Reactor that produces super hot plasma?

On a side note isn't super hot plasma kind of redundant?

i wonder what the blue jackets can do

Maybe the Canucks representative's power is... shooting mini canadians out of his hands?

Same thing for Penguins, Ducks, Stars, and such, they shoot penguins, ducks, stars, etc. out of their hands or other body parts.

I dunno, it makes about as much sense as card games on motorcycles.

I wonder what the Philadelphia Flyer will do... Though I suppose the Broad Street Bully would be a great antagonist.

Didn't someone try this with baseball players?

Thanks for giving my car a jump. You're a real hero, Canuck Man!

I generally feel that the word "selling out" is blatantly overused, but, in this case I'll make an exception. This is about as sold out as sold out gets. I mean... really Mr. Lee? We're talking here about a guy who could, if he decided to take advantage of the resources available to him, produce just about any comic book story he wanted do. This is a guy who has the freedom and talent to create a brilliant masterpiece. But instead of that, he's doing a tie in comic book for the NHL? That just pisses me the hell off.

I like it. As long as I get to use Super Sidney Crosby's slapshot of awesome accuracy to nail the Diabolical Doofus Chris Pronger in his ugly mug.

McShizzle:
I like it. As long as I get to use Super Sidney Crosby's slapshot of awesome accuracy to nail the Diabolical Doofus Chris Pronger in his ugly mug.

Flyers look better without Pronger in the game today =/.

didn't they already do this? with that mighty ducks t.v show?

Stan Lee has always been and will always be a bit of a hack but he's a charming hack and the kind of stuff that worked in the 60's does'nt really work now seriously almost everything he's done outside Marvel has been mediocre to awful

they already did something like this

Maybe they'll be in the series... what else can the Ducks do, except maybe all be extra-"mighty"?

The other was something like "The Real Sports Heroes" or something like that...
Starred Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and one other guy... Bo Jackson, I think.
They all had super powers related to their sport.

Side Note: if they make the Redwings evil, I won't be watching it... though I wouldn't be surprised.

Toronto Maple Leafs could have the worst power ever, bad grammar. That, or shooting leaves out of their hands...

KP Shadow:
Maybe the Canucks representative's power is... shooting mini canadians out of his hands?

Same thing for Penguins, Ducks, Stars, and such, they shoot penguins, ducks, stars, etc. out of their hands or other body parts.

You made me do it!

I only see this getting slightly popular in Canada. Other than that, I speculate failure everywhere else.

Mighty ducks did it first.

Zeromaeus:

KP Shadow:

You made me do it!

Linkara!?

Comicbooks on Unicycles!?

Oh god not this again, didn't you learn anything from NFL Superpro and Nightcat.

sheic99:
Oh god not this again, didn't you learn anything from NFL Superpro and Nightcat.

Remember his nickname is "Sneaky" Stan, not "Capable of Learning from Prior Really, Really Stupid Ideas" Stan.

2xDouble:
Side Note: if they make the Redwings evil, I won't be watching it... though I wouldn't be surprised.

It'd be too accurate to real life then. That'd be predictable.

Well, don't forget Stan Lee's age here also. I think part of it is that he'll increasingly do anything for money, but I also think a big part of it is that his attitudes haven't grown up with the medium. For example when listening to Stan Lee talk about his attitudes on the Marvel Civil War (which was ruined due to people changing it to involve analogies to real world politics by defining one side clearly as wrong despite the original intent) they were very simplistic and seemed to have no bearing on anything happening either going by the original concepts/lead in, or the current one. He just doesn't think like a lot of people do today, despite his apperances.

Think back to when Stan Lee first started doing his thing, and how absoltly cheezy some of the characters from both Marvel and DC were. I think DC was worse, but on sites like "superdickery" you'll see examples of comics (in great numbers) that are simply "W T F" in some way by today's standards.

Being Hockey Players is no more far fetched than say doing a comic series based on "Mr. T" (he had one), or the original launch of Dazzler where she was "The Disco Dazzler" (I kid you not), and comics where they for example had Mohammad Ali fight Superman. Not to mention cartoon shows back in the day (unconnected to comics) like "Sport Billy".

A number of decades ago this idea probably would have seemed a lot cooler and less silly than it was now, and fit right in. I think the problem is that the world, and the audience has changed. The idea is just too cornball even for the kids today.

OMG why? I feel like it's 1985 all over again.

Oh my god please no....please no, I don't want "Hockey heros," I just want to sit on my couch with my beer and watch my Edmonton Oilers lose play their games.

How long is it now until the return of NFL Superpro?

Well, I can't say this shocks me, Marvel sold out to the whole zombie thing, so why not hockey? OOH, and how about baseball, football, soccer and rugby while your at it?

Brnin8:
Toronto Maple Leafs could have the worst power ever, bad grammar. That, or shooting leaves out of their hands...

Actually, they shoot maple syrup out of their hands.

Worst power ever? Some may argue so. Tastiest power ever? Maybe. Maybe.

Therumancer:
I think the problem is that the world, and the audience has changed. The idea is just too cornball even for the kids today.

Indeed, especially the "tween" demographic mentioned in the article. I just can't see boys getting into that of all things when connected with hockey. I think they'd be more interested in the cursing and violence than a Mighty Mighty Duck or a flying Phili Flyer.

Face, meet palm.

I hope this succeeds though, I really do. Other than Canada and the major markets in the states the NHL is still far behind even sports like college football, golf, and NASCAR, let alone the big ones like baseball, basketball, and football.

V8 Ninja:
I only see this getting slightly popular in Canada. Other than that, I speculate failure everywhere else.

Yeah, same here.

Stan...you used to be my idol...you used to be cool...

We are not amused...

It will be the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon all over again.

gregitaly:
didn't they already do this? with that mighty ducks t.v show?

Guardians of the Core. Show on nicktoons same plot as this with the NFL.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here