Valve Confirms DotA 2 for 2011

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Valve Confirms DotA 2 for 2011

The rumors are true: Valve is releasing an extensively upgraded version of Defense of the Ancients in 2011.

Valve has finally announced that it's working on a game called DotA 2 after rumors previously indicated that the studio was throwing its hat into the world of Defense of the Ancients, a massively popular action-RTS gameplay style that first popped up in a user-created map for Warcraft III. A DotA developer named "IceFrog" joined Valve last year and Valve followed it up with a DotA trademark filing two months ago, so the announcement is anything but a surprise.

DotA has been constantly updated and re-balanced by various creators over the years, including the release of DotA AllStars and DotA-inspired titles like League of Legends. Valve doesn't plan on changing what DotA players are used to, with DotA 2 set to bring over DotA AllStars's 100+ hero roster, the same map, items, skills, and upgrade paths. In DotA 2, these aspects will only be freed from the constraints put on them by the WarCraft III engine thanks to the use of Valve's Source engine instead.

This is Valve though, so DotA 2 won't be a rehash in a prettier shell. The graphics will be improved, though will remain "somewhat cartoony" and retain "functional aspects to the art that are pretty significant to the players," Valve's DotA 2 project lead told Game Informer. The aim is to make every hero's visual style and animations unique enough so they can be identified immediately. Custom voice work will also provide heroes with "amusing lines" as they encounter other heroes and destroy creeps.

Further, DotA 2 adds integrated voice chat, AI bots that take over for disconnected players, and new community-based features that not only reward participation, but should also ease DotA's intrinsically created negative attitude towards new players. Valve is upgrading Steamworks so that it can provide in-game rewards for DotA 2 players that participate in the community outside the game. Though specific details weren't provided, Valve says that bonuses like "unlocking new skins" or "unique titles for writing a strategy guide" are possibilities, while accruing points towards a "Gamerscore" is another.

As for what could help new players become more than just currency fodder, as they basically are the current world of DotA, Valve is looking at features outside of skill-based matchmaking. Interactive guides and a coaching system are being implemented to give top-level players a reason to help out the "noobs." Interactive guides written by the best players will be able to highlight strategic aspects of DotA play, while coaches will be able to get even more hands on. A DotA 2 coach will be able to see his/her student's screen and chat with him/her privately to help out just like a hired instructor. These coaches will be rewarded for positive feedback, though again, the specifics haven't been worked out.

Overall, it looks like Valve is putting together another huge game that has its origins in the modding community. DotA 2 will be released on the PC and Mac in 2011.

Source: Game Informer

No episode 3 then, never even heard of DOTA until valve bought it or whatever.

You know lately, I just think Valve is more of an art company more than a game company. Seriously, everything they do lately is "distinctive, easy to recognise ________".

imnotparanoid:

ITS NOT HAPPENING YET, OK, STOP ASKING.

Please *cries*

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I need my fps's!!!

anything, even an original one

cmon valve

This seems pretty damn cool. I had no prior interest in (or substantial knowledge of) DotA, but this could very well tip the balance.
Also, in the past I've thought that Steam could benefit from a Gamerscore-esque system, where my TF2 achievements are represented for all the world.

Just as I was suspecting. Good thing I stopped craving for Episode 3 a long time ago. This looks like it could be interesting, as I've never played the original(s?) DoTA.

Never played the game (odd considering I have it in Warcraft 3) but its description sounds interesting and the image shown looks cool.

Maybe I'll give it a try when its released.

Looks cool, but like Civilizations 5 I won't be able to play it.

DotA? by Valve? omgahd omghad omghad?!?!? I want it, I love DotA and I love Valve. This has to be good.

WHERE IS IT GABE

WHERE IS IT

Yesssssss, seriously can't wait for this. League of Legends is the game I play the most and now that Valve is doing it...fucking awesome.

i'll stick to HoN until then

Umm, valve weren't you supposed to be working on a certain new episode to the game which put you on the fucking map? I never played Dota when it was free so why should I play it when it actually costs money? Valve, please drop the side projects and finish what we all clearly want... I am of course talking about Left 4 Dead 3.[/sarcasm]

Tom Goldman:

The graphics will be improved, though will remain "somewhat cartoony"...

The aim is to make every hero's visual style and animations unique enough to they can be identified immediately. Custom voice work will also provide heroes with "amusing lines"...

Actually I'd really like TF2 Cameo characters.

I was right, it wasn't anything a Valve fan would give a shit about! Five points for me, woohoo!

I am pretty disappointed about this announcement...but it is nice that Valve is doing new stuff instead of just rolling with a few franchises...

And Steam released the DOOM pack for like 30 bucks so i'm all set for a LOOOOOONG time...

It'll have to be pretty damn good (or free) to tempt me away from League of Legends since I don't really have time for 2 DoTa games. Still a game type/genre I like by a company I like has got good potential.

I just pray that they keep Rikimaru (Stealth Assassin) the way he is now...

Pretty awesome. I've always been interested by DoTA, but never could be that bothered to get started with it. Slightly surprised that Valve are doing it, but all the better!

Valve's only means of redemption now is Episode 3, until then they are dead to me.

Hmmm... maybe I'll find out what it is...

When I was on WC3 multiplayer, I was kicked for asking how you play it EVERY TIME.

Ever heard of a game that never really needed a substantial graphics overhaul?

Yes you have, you read that article.

Unless there's some major mechanic overhaul that they've not shared yet this is a big ol' "SO?" I enjoy the gameplay, and have LoL for what it's worth. Just, Valve engine smoothness for a single unit RTS? eeeehhhh Maybe they took some of the ideas and made it a multiplayer action game?! That'd be cool.

Incoming rage because of no Episode 3.

I suspect my friend will be very happy at this news, however I don't play the game...

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*reading the article....

Addendum; Bots that take over for disconnected players? What a load of crap.
Anyways, I hope it's just temporary. I mean, if DotA 2 won't have the option of reconnecting like Heroes of Newerth does, I won't even bother with the game.
In HoN, if players have been disconnected for more than a specific time length combined, they can't reconnect and their hero is destroyed and the items and money are given to the team. Now, if DotA 2 will have a similar reconnecting system, but with the added feature that bots take over while they reconnect, or just until they get destroyed, that would be kind of neat.
But I it'll not have a reconnecting feature, and the bots will play for the players throughout the match, I think that's a rubbish idea.

Still pretty psyched about this announcement, but Heroes of Newerth are doing everything right in the game as of now, so I'm not sure if I would switch to DotA 2.

Seriously people, give the whine about Episode 3 a rest. It will come when it comes. You are just coming across as a troll anymore.

OT: I saw some gameplay for DOTA, and found it quite cool a game like that could be applied to WC3. With Valve adding their polish to it, I can't wait to see what comes out of this.

You know, for the longest time, Valve and Blizzard have had a sort of peaceful co-existance between one another. Valve did it's own thing with FPS games and digital distribution while Blizzard did it's own thing with RTS and MMO games.

With this move, however, Valve has effectively entered Blizzard's territory. It will be interesting to see if Blizzard will provide any sort of response.

Also, am I the only one who finds it funny how DotA 2 is avoiding the constraints of the WarCraft III engine by replacing them with the constraints of the Source engine? XD Although, on a more serious note, it remains to be seen whether or not the Source engine really is all that fitting for RTS-like games.

Are they charge money for this? Because that would be stupid. DoTA is free, and there's a pretty damn good clone call League of Legends that's also free.

There goes my bet on Dead or Alive: Gabe Newell edition.

imnotparanoid:

Same page as you. I have now clue as to what Defense of the ancients is but would rther have Episode 3.

This is the happiest day of my life! I've been trying to get my updated DotA fix for years with LoL and HoN!

well hopefully its fun and a bit noob friendly, the first one was god awfulllll at that and the community was full of super troll dickheads, but i might give it a try depending on cash flow when it comes out.

OMG did I read that right? Episode 3 will be out before christmas 2010??
WOW Valve way to make this year brilliant.
Just for a second there I thought you where going to release a game Iv never even heard of.
Maybe to celebrate I will nail my hand to my face while screaming "VALVE IS TAKING THE FUCKING PISS!"

So.. Where is Episode 3?

You know, this may just make me like Valve more :) Awesome-o!

Gotta say, hate this idea. DotA was like the Halo of the WC3 universe, it drew in all the loud mouthed 10 year olds that think they're gods gift to the fucking world because they managed a combo item in 15 min or some stupid shit like that. Don't get me wrong, the game itself was kinda fun, but for what you had to put up with, it just wasn't worth it (again, much like Halo).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here