Valve Confirms DotA 2 for 2011

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Oh for fucks sake. Will you people quit obsessing over HL2 Episode 3 already? The only reason episodes 1 and 2 were so buggy upon release is that they were rushed to hell because of fan pressure. It's not like half life is the ONLY game they make, and frankly I'm tired of seeing "MAKE EP3 ADN RELEASE IT NAO" type comments. Maybe they're holding it off because they're afraid that the hype surrounding EP3 will overshadow all their other games that they're producing. Plus, again, they don't want it to be buggy as shit upon release. So will you people give them some more freaking time? It's not like they're freakin magical.

Knowing Valve, this will probably come out at 11:58pm on December 31st, 2011.

Sir John the Net Knight:

And thank you for spilling that business onto main forums, though I really expect nothing less from you, at this point.

You brought it up when you were diligently trying to insult me John...

Sir John the Net Knight @ 159) 15 October 2010 5:45 am:

Stupid statements like this one are the reason I don't belong to the TF2 group here any longer.

Caliostro @ 173) 15 October 2010 9:20 pm:

Fixed that for you.

Notice how my post is a reply to yours... And it only exists because you posted yours.

Racecarlock:
Oh for fucks sake. Will you people quit obsessing over HL2 Episode 3 already? The only reason episodes 1 and 2 were so buggy upon release is that they were rushed to hell because of fan pressure. It's not like half life is the ONLY game they make, and frankly I'm tired of seeing "MAKE EP3 ADN RELEASE IT NAO" type comments. Maybe they're holding it off because they're afraid that the hype surrounding EP3 will overshadow all their other games that they're producing. Plus, again, they don't want it to be buggy as shit upon release. So will you people give them some more freaking time? It's not like they're freakin magical.

The whole idea of episodes was supposed to be short games with a short development time, 3 years for a game that would likley be the same length as ep 1 or 2 is just rediculous, we've had no news or anything, in that time, that's why people're annoyed, ep 1 and 2 still took ages, therefor any bugs in them were hardly the result of them being "rushed" because they took bloody ages to come out.

Giving the high-end players incentive to help out newbies is a great idea, I think. I helped out a lot of newbies in Diablo II by giving away some almost-top-end items, but only because they were dirt-cheap (the absolute best of the best items oversaturate the market, so they're relatively cheap and everything else is near-worthless)

DoTa was the cancer that killed Warcraft III (Sc 2 was just the last nail in the coffin). So youll forgive me if im not jumping for Joy.

Well, it'll be interesting to see Valve make something that isn't an FPS, but I do hope they expand upon the original DOTA a bit more. I don't think it would hurt to have a half-dozen maps, instead of just the one. And proper third-person, and a less evil skill curve, and...well, I hope it's very different from the original.

Also, since now they'll have released four games and another full game's worth of DLC since the last Half-Life installment, I'm pretty sure they have to reveal Episode 3 before a mob of angry fans burns down the entire city of Bellevue.

CK76:
Looks cool, but like Civilizations 5 I won't be able to play it.

Civilization 5 is still to broken to be playable anyways. The AI won't even build airplanes, so once your armada of nuclear bombers show up all it can do is poking its noise before it blows up into a gazillion little pieces.

Every time I see "DotA" I forget what it is and remember that crappy fighting game.

DotA: Xtreme Beach volleyball would be something.

So they may use the name DotA for their commercial product? That sounds pretty retarded, because Valve didn't develop DotA and now they want to make money with an exact copy of it?
Even if Icefrog gets money, there were others who also worked on DotA.

How about we see what Valve is doing with this before proclaiming it is the worst thing ever?

The87Italians:

anthraxalfa:

Tom Goldman:
Overall, it looks like Valve is putting together another huge game that has its origins in the modding community.

Okay, I guess I'll have to be the one that asks the question. What do they mean by "another" ? What other game have they made that started as a mod?

I think I'll just leave these here....

OT: I would have rather had Episode 3. We'll get it eventually though, I mean if Duke is coming then Freeman will eventually catch up.

Didn't Team Fortress also start as a mod?

GAAAAAAAAABE...
goddamnit...

I have a feeling HoN is going to die...

Huh. sounds great. I dont think i would trust any other comapany with the DOTA name.

I shall probably die from excessive playing. Funny thing is, i wouldn't mind.

WHAT!? Valve is making it? now i got interested..

Awesome. Just awesome. So that's what valve employees have been playing(dota1) in their office time other then counting money from Steamsales.

Awesome. Just awesome. So that's what valve employees have been playing(dota1) in their office time other then counting money from Steamsales.

ok I hereby declare vavle the world's greatest troll, every time they announce a game that isn't episode 3 people either RAEG on forums or jump out a window.

I feel annoyed with myself that I don't even know what DOTA is...

And now I have a boner ._.
It'll be interesting to see what Valve does by creating a whole game based on this, but I don't doubt its quality.
Valve has yet to let me down :D

Besides that, SC2 has yet to put out a good enough DotA game (not from lack of effort)

InevitableFate:

Tom Goldman:

The graphics will be improved, though will remain "somewhat cartoony"...

The aim is to make every hero's visual style and animations unique enough to they can be identified immediately. Custom voice work will also provide heroes with "amusing lines"...

Actually I'd really like TF2 Cameo characters.

they should make a hero called The Engiceavyman, who had an ability from each of the chars in that name, his Ulti obviously being a nuclear explosion caused by Sandvitch´s unbelievable levels of awesome.

Ok, I never really play DotA, and League Of Legends is just a time-waster for me, but all I can really say is;
Valve,
Don't screw this up.

Moonpooman:
Just as I was suspecting. Good thing I stopped craving for Episode 3 a long time ago. This looks like it could be interesting, as I've never played the original(s?) DoTA.

Stopped craving?

TEACH ME HOW!

Choppaduel:
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I need my fps's!!!

anything, even an original one

cmon valve

My first thought upon reading this post was that you were being silly for asking for an FPS when so many are already out there and are constantly being released. But shortly after that thought I realized that the ones that are out there are pretty damn shitty and that Valve does need to make us a new FPS, cuz I am tired as shit of the damn Modern Warfare clones...

Lem0nade Inlay:

Moonpooman:
Just as I was suspecting. Good thing I stopped craving for Episode 3 a long time ago. This looks like it could be interesting, as I've never played the original(s?) DoTA.

Stopped craving?

TEACH ME HOW!

Play the Half - Life series for the first time starting with Half Life 2 during 2008. Remember to get the original Half - Life last summer. That should work like a charm.

Alternatively, you could just play Civilization or something.

Dyme:
So they may use the name DotA for their commercial product? That sounds pretty retarded, because Valve didn't develop DotA and now they want to make money with an exact copy of it?

They did pretty much the exact same thing with Counter Strike and Team Fortress, as far as I'm aware.

smithy_2045:

Dyme:

They did pretty much the exact same thing with Counter Strike and Team Fortress, as far as I'm aware.

Don't forget about Day of defeat or portal.

Though DotA is great, as is the main spinoffs of LoL and HoN, I can't help but think the population of these games are being spread way too thinly. Once DotA 2 comes out that'll be four games that the original players of DotA will be playing and four games that newcomers will have to choose between.

Not that it will help them with the community of these games. I've come to the understanding that most people in these games are pricks. Even your 'friends' in the games. Speaking of which, I wonder if DotA 2 will have more mature themes and a similar rating. If so, I might help to block out some of those whiny children who do think they're the gods of DotA and turn out to be nothing but feeders.

And on another note, It seems that Valve's going to be capturing another group of gamers if they manage to pull this off. They'll have both a mainstream FPS game and a mainstream RTS/MOBA game. Where next, a mainstream Cooking Mama game?

smithy_2045:

Dyme:

Icefrog gave HoN permission to copy the heroes, items, etc from DotA, change the name and then sell it. If I'm right, Icefrog's presence in Valve means that Valve has the rights to DotA and is allowed to make a sellable version of DotA themselves. Valve has a much better history of balance in their games than Icefrog has, however, and I'm sure the new game will be better balanced for new heroes and old.

Hrmm...Sounds kinda interesting, though I'll need to play it first to make my opinions outloud

Koganesaga:
Gotta say, hate this idea. DotA was like the Halo of the WC3 universe, it drew in all the loud mouthed 10 year olds that think they're gods gift to the fucking world because they managed a combo item in 15 min or some stupid shit like that. Don't get me wrong, the game itself was kinda fun, but for what you had to put up with, it just wasn't worth it (again, much like Halo).

\

comming from a WC3 veteran I agree with you man, I say without exagerating that the DOTA comunity managed to pull of the impressive feat of consistantly being an even whinner,bitchier,dumber more racist community then even the MW2 ccomunity.

Unfortunately, with DotA 2 in the hands of Valve I fear that it will eventually just be 'BUY ITEMS TO GET HATS AND COSTUMES.'

xxcloud417xx:

Choppaduel:
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I need my fps's!!!

anything, even an original one

cmon valve

My first thought upon reading this post was that you were being silly for asking for an FPS when so many are already out there and are constantly being released. But shortly after that thought I realized that the ones that are out there are pretty damn shitty and that Valve does need to make us a new FPS, cuz I am tired as shit of the damn Modern Warfare clones...

*channels Father Grigori* Amen to that brother!

I'm going to wait until we see what Valve can come up with before making judgements. What could happen is valve create a game which doesn't grasp some of the fundamental mechanics of dota, makes it too easy, or in some other way mucks it up.

What is more likely to happen is Valve, like they do with every game / mod team, bring them into their family, give them everything they need to make a kick ass game, and absolutely nail it (see CS, TF2, DoD).

It will be kind of weird to see Valve go quite deep into the realms of RTS and Fantasy, I don't think we've seen that before, lets see what they can come up with. If it is successful it will probably mean the decline of HoN's player base, but I think LoL has got it spot on, and will continue to do well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here