Nintendo Goes Bananas Over Donkey Kong

Nintendo Goes Bananas Over Donkey Kong

Nintendo knows how to grab attention: pile up 7000 bananas at a press event for Donkey Kong Country Returns.

While it's certainly normal for companies to give away stuff at its press events, most of the swag is gaming or electronics related. Nintendo outdid itself by piling up a reported 7000 bananas to promote Donkey Kong Country Returns in addition to making the entire room look like a jungle in which our favorite gorilla would feel right at home. There's something funny about PR people turning a fancy New York City lounge into a nature reserve.

I'm glad that a pile of fresh fruit isn't just a non sequitur either. Donkey Kong Country has always been about collecting bananas and Returns is no different. What does Kong do with all those bananas? Well, apparently he piles them up for games journalists to snag on their way out.

I don't know if the pile is especially appetizing or I'm just hungry, but I kind of wish I could reach out and grab a banana right now.

For information on how the game actually plays, check out Susan Arendt's hands-on with Donkey Kong Country Returns from this weekend's New York Comic Con 2010.

Source: MTV

no surprise that the nerds have their backs turned to the free fruit

Do you see banana man
Hopping over on the white hot sand
Here he come with some for me
Freshly taken from banana tree ...

Sorry, felt relevant.

Thats some serious monkey business right there.

I wonder if anyone's gonna try to ape the idea in the future.

User was banned for this post. Reason - bad puns.

Ohhhh Bananaaaaa.

I cant wait till this game is released.
Sigh... Donkey Kong Country has a lot of memories tied up in it for me, and the new one looks like a blast.

I wonder what will happen to all the extra bananas. Looks like a heck of a lot to cart around.

Hey, at least gamers will have a good source of potassium!

And congratulations to Nintendo for still proving that you can milk the same three franchises for decades and still make money. You hear that, George Lucas? Don't give up yet!

And a million starving children suddenly weep across the world...

Interesting promo, Nintendo could've used it to start talking about healthy foods and get parents even more on their side.

I suddenly want to see a pile of bananas....

Give me some of those banana's, a few gallons of orange juice and a blender and I'll be one happy guy. xD

Quaxar:

And congratulations to Nintendo for still proving that you can milk the same three franchises for decades and still make money. You hear that, George Lucas? Don't give up yet!

Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart / Mario Sports
Mario Party
Mario & Luigi / Paper Mario
Smash Bros.
Donkey Kong Country
Wario Land
Wario Ware
Yoshi Island
Kirby
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Star Fox
Pokemon
Wii Series

A little more than three ;)
Alright, DKC, Wario, Yoshi, and and the many "Mario" franchises are technically in the same continuity, but the gameplay is different, so I'd count them as seperate series.

I really don't mind. The vast majority of these are still high quality games, in my opinion, and they make an effort to change them up quite a bit in each installment.

Hmm, Donkey Kong is sounding pretty good. Hell, it's making the Wii seem slightly appea...OMG I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE I WANT TO EAT BANANANANA...NA...NANAS!!

How are they keeping that fruit from rotting? Is it the air conditioning in the lounge? Anyways i'm going off on tangents, this is very awesome i can't wait for DK Returns it will bring back memories of games past.

That pun...just...no.

starwarsgeek:

Quaxar:

Super Mario Bros.
Mario Party
Smash Bros.
Donkey Kong Country
Wario Land
Wario Ware
Yoshi Island
Kirby
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Star Fox
Pokemon
Wii Series

Alright, DKC, Wario, Yoshi, and and the many "Mario" franchises are technically in the same continuity, but the gameplay is different, so I'd count them as seperate series.

I really don't mind. The vast majority of these are still high quality games, in my opinion, and they make an effort to change them up quite a bit in each installment.

You forgot that they're adding Kid Icarus to that list.

Oh wow, that is cool.

Although the best Donkey Kong game had to be Country on the Gameboy...that was friggin' awesome.

amaranth_dru:

You forgot that they're adding Kid Icarus to that list.

My criteria for the list was:
1. I know enough about the franchise to know how often new games are released.
2. At least three titles in the series, without a huge gap in releases (more than one generation)
3. A new installment in the series on either the Wii or DS, or enough information that we know for a fact that it will be released (at the very least, a teaser trailer)

Kid Icarus does not pass condition #2, as the last game in the franchise was on the original gameboy. There's a good chance it could be elevated to cash cow status, but that's yet to be seen.

I also omitted Pikmin (a third game has been mentioned by Miyamoto, but--as far as I know--there hasn't been a trailer yet), F-zero (I think GX on the gamecube was the last installment), and any Nintendo franchise I've never played (Animal Crossing, Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, pilotwings, ect.)

Irridium:

I wonder if anyone'd gonna try to ape the idea in the future.

You are so banned.

Susan Arendt:

Irridium:

You are so banned.

Hey, he's just complimenting the fruits of Nintendo's labor. I, personally, found his comment quite peachy, although I do admit that comparing Nintendo to monkeys is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

I should probably be running now.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH BANANA

does thinking that all those bananas are a a huge waste and should have been sent to the malnourished make me a hippie?

If only donkey kong was there he would go ape.

Thorvan:

Susan Arendt:

Irridium:

You are so banned.

Hey, he's just complimenting the fruits of Nintendo's labor. I, personally, found his comment quite peachy, although I do admit that comparing Nintendo to monkeys is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

Dead to me. Dead to me.

Irridium:

I wish Nintendo would quit monkeying around. They're making real donkeys out of themselves.
User was banned for this post. Reason - monkey see, monkey do.

Susan Arendt:

Thorvan:

Susan Arendt:

Irridium:

You are so banned.

Dead to me. Dead to me.

What? We're just monkeying around!
Not worth going banana's over.

:D

stinkychops:

Irridium:

I wish Nintendo would quit monkeying around. They're making real donkeys out of themselves.

Oh, the irony. Still, I guess you make monkeys out of them.

Still, I'm guessing that this little even is Nintendo putting it's weight behind Kong still being a King amongst video game titles.

Quaxar:

I'm so sick of hearing this. Nintendo seems to have a double standard. You let me know when Bungie, EA, Rockstar, Activision, etc. make an original game. Just because Nintendo keeps their characters and titles alive doesn't mean that they suffer from lack of creativity or expansion. Not to mention the fact that they have about 25 franchises and have had several new IP's in the new millenium.
Also, they're all consistently kickass games.
OT: The bananas in that pile look particularly fresh.

I have no opinion on this situation. I'm only posting to say that was the worst pun I have ever bloody heard.

starwarsgeek:

Quaxar:

Super Mario Bros.
Mario Party
Smash Bros.
Donkey Kong Country
Wario Land
Wario Ware
Yoshi Island
Kirby
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Star Fox
Pokemon
Wii Series

You clearly don't know what milking means if you think that Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land, Yoshi's Island, and Star Fox are being milked. I could also argue Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario and Smash Bros.

See, Call of Duty is being milked. Every "real" sports franchise ever is being milked (stuff like FIFA, Madden, etc. Not that others aren't "real sports", I mean real as in trying to be as realistic towards an actual sports league as possible). ____ Hero is being milked, as is Rock Band to a lesser extent.

But Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land, Yoshi's Island, and Star Fox are nowhere near being milked. If not for the upcoming Donkey Kong Country returns, that series would still be dead. Wario Land has had only 5 games in 15 years, the latest coming out in 2008. Yoshi's Island has a huge 2 games in the series. And Star Fox has 5 games in the series, with an upcoming 6th game for the 3DS that isn't here yet. The last game in the series that has already been released came out in 2006. These four series are nowhere close to being milked. If they were animals, not only would they not be cows, they would be an animal that cannot lactate at all.

Oh, Nintendo. will you ever get old?

Yes. You already did.

After remaking the same 6 games one hundred and fifty-eight times.
*sigh*

Space Jawa:

stinkychops:

Irridium:

Oh, the irony. Still, I guess you make monkeys out of them.

Still, I'm guessing that this little even is Nintendo putting it's weight behind Kong still being a King amongst video game titles.

I don't know, I heard they have huge teams and if they're paying those guys peanuts they'll get monkeys. Although, it's said that if you fill a room of typewriters with monkeys you eventually get shakespeare. I'm sure people will go ape over the game either way. (Monkey puns aren't as easy as I assumed).
User was suspended by his tail for this post.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here