Tim Langdell Loses IGDA Membership

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Tim Langdell Loses IGDA Membership

The International Game Developers Association has terminated the membership of Edge Games boss Tim Langdell.

The hits just keep coming for Tim Langdell, the Edge Games CEO and erstwhile boogeyman of the videogame industry who, until recently, claimed domain over all things "edge." Less than a week after suffering a devastating courtroom loss to Electronic Arts that ultimately resulted in the cancellation of several of his trademarks, Langdell's membership in the International Game Developers Association has been revoked.

A notification posted on the IGDA blog said, "The Board of Directors today voted to remove Tim Langdell from IGDA membership pursuant to our bylaws Article III. Section 6 (b) which states that any member may be removed from membership if the member has demonstrated a lack of integrity or unethical behavior, as determined by the Board of Directors."

Langdell was previously a member of the IGDA Board of Directors but resigned in August 2009 at the height of the conflict over his heavy-handed protection of various "edge" trademarks. Several IGDA members had called for his removal from the board, and a special meeting had been scheduled to discuss the matter but his resignation came before it could take place. Langdell said at the time that he was confident a vote at the meeting would go his way but was stepping down in order to save the IGDA from further bad press and a continuing drain on its resources at the hands of a "vocal minority."

Sweet. I understand why companies need to copyright titles and such, but it's unfortunate game developers have to jump through so many hoops just to get their product on the shelves.

Hopefully one day game will be able to be made without the uproar people like Tim and Jack Thompson and so many others create.

Good, it's nice to see justice.

This guy practically jumped on a grenade in style.

Prick deserves it. Perhaps, instead of suing people over words and falsifying evidence, he should actually make a game. I looked and the guy's company has literally done almost nothing in recent history apart from partially develop one shitty rip-off sci-fi style racing game a la Wipeout.

I also keep getting the two news items mixed up and thinking that Langdell has finally been arrested. (Read: Hoping he's been arrested)

Wow, this is the kind of news I needed to perk me up after a rather crappy day. Nice to see his peers recognise that he was being unethical, maybe now he will go away.

Granted he could be like our beloved Mr. Thompson and keep rearing his head.

ha, one less parasite. excellent!

when ever you have big money being made, these guys show up... so a small victory for all involved. gg

I almost feel bad for this guy. I mean, all he wanted to do was kill all humans own the word "edge".
Is that so much to ask?

Couldn't have happened to a nicer douchebag failpony assmunch jackass douchenozzle asswipe I really don't like Tim Langdell.

MurderousToaster:
Prick deserves it. Perhaps, instead of suing people over words and falsifying evidence, he should actually make a game. I looked and the guy's company has literally done almost nothing in recent history apart from partially develop one shitty rip-off sci-fi style racing game a la Wipeout.

I also keep getting the two news items mixed up and thinking that Langdell has finally been arrested. (Read: Hoping he's been arrested)

Actually, he didn't. Racers was actually a German-developed game that was released there a few years ago. Through some vague deal, Langdell does have some sort of distribuition rights for it. The hilarious thing is that the games comes on a off-the-shelf DV-R.

And so, the troll's hijinks come to a laughble end. May he live forever in shame.

O happy day!! The games industry is getting victory after victory lately let's keep this streak going i say.

Dear Tim Langdell:

Sincerely, mjc

He looks like someone stuck Nic Cage and Tom Green in a blender.

Victory for the Horde!

MurderousToaster:

I wouldn't go on their site because Web of Trust has marked them red :P
(I wouldn't be surprised if edge games made a deal with spyware companies)

Ah the gaming industry's boogeyman has turned into the game industry's little bitch

This would be the Tim Langdell whose business practices The Escapist inexplicably defended in an article that Russ Pitts refused to retract? That Tim Langdell?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/6401-Edge-or-Edgy-The-Clash-of-Two-Game-Makers-Update

hahaha.... oh langdell... It's so nice to see that sometimes, the bad guy loses.

He really REALLY REALLY should not have poked EA. I mean, what was he THINKING?

Edge Games was doing well as a trademark troll, but then he decided to be a jerk to EA Games over Mirror's Edge.. There was a lot of bad press for Edge Games over its treatment of that block game on the iPhone.

A lot of indie devs got behind the victim in that case, but it would have gone away, he would have been ok.

But he saw Mirror's Edge and HAD to poke the bear

Now he's absolutely destroyed.

The Rogue Wolf:
Couldn't have happened to a nicer douchebag failpony assmunch jackass douchenozzle asswipe I really don't like Tim Langdell.

You forgot fucknugget, shit-for-brains, dickwad, and boil on the ass of society.

oooh happy day......

SimuLord:

The Rogue Wolf:

You forgot fucknugget, shit-for-brains, dickwad, and boil on the ass of society.

Or "Douchecanoe of the Year".

So, how long 'til he falls all the way down?

haha, I was just telling my econ professor about all the trademarks getting stripped away, and now this? Schadenfreudetastic.

I have never once heard of this person. And still I do not understand what he's supposed to have done wrong other than launching a dodgy copyright claim.

Altorin:
hahaha.... oh langdell... It's so nice to see that sometimes, the bad guy loses.

Edge Games was doing well as a trademark troll, but then he decided to be a jerk to EA Games over Mirror's Edge.. There was a lot of bad press for Edge Games over its treatment of that block game on the iPhone.

A lot of indie devs got behind the victim in that case, but it would have gone away, he would have been ok.

But he saw Mirror's Edge and HAD to poke the bear.

Now he's absolutely destroyed.

And we all loved every minute of it, didn't we?

Admit it... there's no love lost for EA, but we were all cheering wholeheartedly for them the moment Langdell caught a glimpse of Mirror's Edge.

I can't stand EA and I freely admit that I was cheering wildly for them throughthis whole fracas.

ENKC:
I have never once heard of this person. And still I do not understand what he's supposed to have done wrong other than launching a dodgy copyright claim.

it wasn't that he made a dodgy copyright claim, it's that he made many. Copyright law basically says that you can copyright an idea or something, but you're not relaly supposed to sit on the idea and do nothing with it for ten years. Tim Langdell copyrighted his company's name ("EDGE") and then made one game Lord knows how long ago and since then has sued any and every company that released a game with the word "Edge" in the title. He argued that it was an infringement on his company's copyright and the companies must attach a message to the box saying "The use of the word EDGE is trademarked by Tim Langdell" or some bull like that.

He basically just made a nuisance of himself by picking on smaller companies that couldn't fight off his lawyers... and then decided to pick on EA. Which is why Tim Langdell is now suffering so badly - EA have very good lawyers.

Well it seems the ass holes that are either in the industry or against it have been disgraced in some way, wonder when that senator for the games legislation will be caught doing something?

Did he actually make a game...?

SODAssault:
He looks like someone stuck Nic Cage and Tom Green in a blender.

So I was right in my initial impression of the pic with "Who is this douchebag?"

"According to government records the only names not yet trademarked are popplers and zitsels."

The guy has an ego the size of the moon. I hope this brought him down to earth.

Andy Chalk:
Langdell said at the time that he was confident a vote at the meeting would go his way but was stepping down in order to save the IGDA from further bad press and a continuing drain on its resources at the hands of a "vocal minority."

Apparently, that "vocal minority" has just become a "voting majority".

Niccolo:
It wasn't that he made a dodgy copyright claim, it's that he made many. Copyright law basically says that you can copyright an idea or something, but you're not really supposed to sit on the idea and do nothing with it for ten years.

Actually you can copyright the expression of idea but not the idea it's self. Trademark is a bit different and that is what we are dealing with here.

Super Toast:
The guy has an ego the size of the moon. I hope this brought him down to earth.

Ignoring your metaphor entirely, moon hitting the earth is a bad idea. Let's just go with hell, better idea yeah? haha.

Altorin:

I don't think he had much of a choice. If he lets Mirror's Edge slide, then he's basically opening the door for anyone and everyone else who wants to use an "Edge" variant name as well. If he skips EA and then goes after some poor indie iPhone studio six months later, the obvious question he'd had to answer is, why these guys and not EA? If the trademark is solid, it'll stand up to scrutiny no matter how many lawyers EA throws at it, and if it's not... well, we saw what happened.

I think Langdell could've mitigated the damage if he'd rolled with it, handled the trademarks and licensing demands different and maybe, you know, actually put out a game. But he took his shot for all the marbles, and he lost. Now we get to watch him publicly destroyed.

mk-1601:
This would be the Tim Langdell whose business practices The Escapist inexplicably defended in an article that Russ Pitts refused to retract? That Tim Langdell?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/6401-Edge-or-Edgy-The-Clash-of-Two-Game-Makers-Update

Andy Chalk wrote that. Russ Pitts could delete it, but he can't really retract a statement he didn't make. Only Andy Chalk could retract that article, since he is the author.

Russ Pitts sent an email requesting information, and forwarded that information to Andy Chalk. He didn't actually write the article.

Andy Chalk:
snip

why is everyone so happy that some random game dev lost his job?

whats the story behind this? i tried reading the others and my head exploded. some big business language that made me cry.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here