Major Kinect Patch Eventually Allowed Players to Sit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Major Kinect Patch Eventually Allowed Players to Sit

Microsoft's Kinect used to have issues with sitting players, but a studio has specifically revealed why that's no longer the case.

One of the big questions surrounding Kinect that was sparked by developer criticism was whether players could sit down or not while using it. Considering that the act of sitting is a common mix with videogames, it mattered not only to gamers but to the device's future. Sneak King studio Blitz Games has confirmed that yes, you can sit as you play Kinect, but only as of a few months ago.

Blitz explained to Eurogamer that Kinect's skeletal modeling system would at one time get confused when players would take a load off. However, an update "a few months ago" made significant changes to Kinect's software that apparently fixed the problem.

In the update, Kinect's human "base node" was moved from the bottom of the spine to the back of the neck, which Blitz Games co-founder Andrew Oliver says enabled Kinect's confusion of people's lower halves with sofas to not matter as they could still waggle around their arms. Oliver reveals: "A few months ago [Microsoft] changed stuff around. A lot of developers were like, 'Oh my God! Everything's broken,' because all the nodes were moved."

"But then it was like, 'Oh, actually, this is more logical,'" he adds. Until the update, developers like Blitz were stuck re-writing Kinect's software themselves because it didn't allow players to sit or lay down. Oliver continues: "We were talking to [Microsoft] last February saying, 'Are you ever going to fix the libraries so it will work on the floor?' And they went, 'Oh come on, that's lying on the floor. That's so rare. We've got other issues we're dealing with."

Blitz says games in the future "won't have a problem" with sitting or lying down, say for a sit-up or push-up game, but there may not be too many titles that include the ability to read anything but standing players at launch. The more I hear about Kinect, the more exhausted I get. I really do want to see Kinect improve the way we play somehow, but the combination of a controller and a bean-bag chair will be hard to beat.

Source: Eurogamer

You know what I think they need to do? Come out with an actual workout game that counts your pushups/situps/everything else and stuff. It would be a good use of the tech.

They didn't think people would sit down to play a game...

..my that inspires confidence in there competence.

"moved from the bottom of the spine to the back of the neck"

What, are we "jacking in" to the Kinect now?

Really I won't be interested until they show games that are more than just sport or motion gimmicks.

Catalyst6:
"moved from the bottom of the spine to the back of the neck"

What, are we "jacking in" to the Kinect now?

Remember, if you get shot and killed there you die in real life!

OT: Wow, sitting and gaming have always complemented each other. I think it is kind of funny that this was a fairly last minute change.

Very misleading title.

Can we give up on motion control already. Please...

Its official, I'm done feeling excited for Kinect. Between the awful looking launch titles and this piece of news confirming that Kinect is rushed and will be subpar like all early microsoft products. Oh well, I really wanted to like it. I'll probably wait a year, and then buy it.

Kinect is a gimmick. I firmly believe Yatzhee was right on this one. Most gamers want to play games sprawled on the couch with malteasers crammed in their mouths.

HG131:
You know what I think they need to do? Come out with an actual workout game that counts your pushups/situps/everything else and stuff. It would be a good use of the tech.

Why need tech for that? Just join the army and listen to endless yelling of your sergeant "One! One! One! One!" as you try to make a proper pushup and there is always something wrong with it.

Also im waiting for someone good with basic animatornics to construct a special 'pad' that controls a mannequin you could just put in front of kinect and do all the stuff with it while sitting on a coach.

ianrocks6495:
Very misleading title.

I couldn't agree more.

OT:I don't really care either way what microsoft thinks anyways. I'm not getting the kinect since I don't really have room for it.

That's good, but I don't know if it will change anyone's mind on whether or not to get Kinect.

On the other hand, I like it when they give these explanations, I find them interesting.

all i can say is that god no ones making motion control for meh pc :p i dont have consoles anymore, because they're gay :D

(dont tell blizzard i said that, they're probably going to crack down on people telling other people that they dont like stuff soon!)

theblackmonk90:
Kinect is a gimmick. I firmly believe Yatzhee was right on this one. Most gamers want to play games sprawled on the couch with malteasers crammed in their mouths.

You just described my entire weakened, except for the malteasers.

Well, my interest in it has just raised by...

Nothing at all.

MUST TRY HARDER.

It's not an issue anymore because they don't know how to sell something as useless as Kinect. But if you're gonna sit anyway, why the fuck do you need Kinect? I predict a massive fail. I want it to fail. Why? Because I'm a heartless bastard and I don't like Microsoft.

Stuff like this is really off putting. Will be nice when this damn thing is actually out so we can see how it's going to work for ourselves.GAAAHHH

Even if you can sit, almost all of the stuff I've seen so far requires you to stand. The fighting game requires you to use your feet in a way that would be hard to do while sitting, Kinect Adventures has the raft game where you have to physically jump and Dance Central requires you to... well... dance.

ImprovizoR:
It's not an issue anymore because they don't know how to sell something as useless as Kinect. But if you're gonna sit anyway, why the fuck do you need Kinect? I predict a massive fail. I want it to fail. Why? Because I'm a heartless bastard and I don't like Microsoft.

Together we can start La Resistance!!!

OT: Seriously, I want Microsoft to fail on this one so badly. I seem to remember people on the Xbox side saying that Move was going to bomb. Last I checked, Move has sold by the Metric Fuckton.
Im going to buy Kinect then smash the bastard thing with a Move controller
Actually, scratch that. The camera will probably get confused and not see the danger. I want it to see every major fail it has coming to it

Cripples deserve to play motion sensing games too.

Lightslei:
Can we give up on motion control already. Please...

I wouldn't say just completely give up, but it should be kept apart from mainstream gaming. Oh sure, you can make a hardcore game for it, but motion controls really should have been kept to the Wii. The Move is essentially a Wii with a $150 premium for HD gaming and a slightly different button map. I guess having competition does start a drive to out-innovate the others though. Will we start seeing more ergonomic controllers in the future (something like this glove mouse here http://www.theairmouse.com/)?

In the next console generation, maybe Nintendo could start putting in more power into their consoles.

what did you expect, its MICROSOFT! if they thought things out they would not need to patch shit the next day!

Possibly accounting for people who cant stand/walk?

Get_A_Grip_:
Disabled people deserve to play motion sensing games too.

This (with PC correction). Seems like a stupid move designing a peripheral that only standing people can use. Seems just short of discrimination

I'm still reminded of a very valid point that Extra Credits brought up---the sorts of people who want to play motion-control games already own a Wii. I don't see where there's a market for Sony and Microsoft to get into. Nintendo's got that solidly nailed down with a more recognizable brand and lower price point.

Bogus title. Microsoft never intended to launch Kinect and have you stand up to control video playback and music on your TV. Sitting just wasn't the first priority because most motion control games regardless of system require you to stand up to play them properly.

The title of this article makes it sound like MS only added the ability to sit and control Kinect because developers complained. B.S.

OH COME ON! I can't play video games and lie down on the floor! Next you're going to tell me I also can't have liquefied pizzas intravenously fed to me while I use Kinect! RAARG! Kinect I hate you!

Also I was told by a friend of mine who tried it way back it could always handle sitting. The reports of it not doing so were as bogus as "it can't recognize black people", "It can't recognize asians" or "it doesn't work for fat guys." Misinformation is something a lot of people seem to cling to ardently when it supports specious beliefs. Especially when the subject is one of contention.

Didn't this have a different title a few seconds ago?

Well, the previous title WAS confusing, so props to you for recognizing that.

Or maybe there was some secret innuendo in there accidentally... DAMN! I MISSED IT!

I can see it now: "Major Kinect Patch Eventually Allows Players To Turn Off Kinect And Use Gamepad Buttons Instead."

I'm a little confused, is kinect out yet if there's a patch? Wait. You mean Kinect is not even out yet but they've already patched it? Well that is certainly... reassuring. The Kinect news is bolstering my impression that at Microsoft they actually think that they aren't going to strike lightening get struck by lightning twice with rushed hardware.

Doesn't sitting defeat the whole purpose of having a "controller free" motion controlled gaming peripheral?

SimuLord:
I'm still reminded of a very valid point that Extra Credits brought up---the sorts of people who want to play motion-control games already own a Wii. I don't see where there's a market for Sony and Microsoft to get into. Nintendo's got that solidly nailed down with a more recognizable brand and lower price point.

I concur as this is something I've felt for a long time. What incentivises a customer to buy a 360, Kinect, and its Wii-knock offs, for instance, when Nintendo offers more than simply motion control restricted games, along with their more renowned exclusives to boot? I would rather see Microsoft and Sony focusing on doing what they could do best and invest more towards their primary stance.

cairocat:
Didn't this have a different title a few seconds ago?

Well, the previous title WAS confusing, so props to you for recognizing that.

Or maybe there was some secret innuendo in there accidentally... DAMN! I MISSED IT!

It was something like "Microsoft previously didn't value sitting kinect users" or some abrasive thing like that.

CTU_Loscombe:
OT: Seriously, I want Microsoft to fail on this one so badly. I seem to remember people on the Xbox side saying that Move was going to bomb. Last I checked, Move has sold by the Metric Fuckton.
Im going to buy Kinect then smash the bastard thing with a Move controller
Actually, scratch that. The camera will probably get confused and not see the danger. I want it to see every major fail it has coming to it

So did they kill your kid or rape your wife? Which one was it?

I won't lie, when I imagine the possibilities that Kinect brings to the table in terms of game interactivity I become slightly giddy. I revert back to that child like glee I would have on Saturday mornings watching the Power Rangers (the original) every so often trying to imitate their fighting moves on my mother's tailoring dummy. Add about a decade and a half onto that of games like God of War, Force Unleashed, and the KH series and my list of "stuff I want to fight things with" has grown exponentially.

Imagine, if you would, putting a future installment to the God War series into your Xbox (because in this fantasy its not a Sony exclusive) as the intro rolls and Kratos is put up against his first batch of minions to the slaughter instead of waggling your arm or phallic controller awkwardly you instead make similar sweeping arm movements to deal out the pain or quick strafes to the side to avoid attacks. How about Street Fighter, want to slam a hadouken into the face of your oppent; well then don't just stand there nerd it up and shout "HADOUKEN!!" as you make your attack motions. Let's say Final Fantasy 20 brings us back to the days of turn based combat, well now you can do co-op in battles by wrangling up a few friends to take on the roles of the in-game party.

I suppose we are going to have to put up with the inevitable wave of bowling, tennis, and snowboarding simulations as developers get their bearings with this new technology. With any luck we'll see some forward thinkers attempt to adapt some big name titles. Right now though, the technology seems to be stagnating as it gains its reputation as the "gimmick" hardware; almost like 3D movies and TV's. I don't like seeing that and I don't want to see it be saddled with such a stigma. Microsoft and Sony are attempting to sell their motion control systems in the same light that Nintendo does and I don't feel it is healthy encouragement for the type of game development that would bring the kind of innovation I hope for.

Certainly by marketing to the masses rather than to core gamer audience both systems will garner massive sales. Sales are the proof needed to show the investors that motion controls sell. Yet what happens in the long term? The core audience is driven away because we despise that which seemingly invades our domain of dominance; because we do not want the common person to sully our golden kingdom of plumbers and space marines. Developers who typically create games targeted at the core audience will shy away from development in motion controls and at best produce shoddy ports because their target audience has shown an aversion to motion controls due to their seeming "gimmicky-ness". It is because we have been told that motion controls are not for us. Like hell they're not.

(to bring this string of thought full circle) Talk to any person who considers themselves a member of the core audience and tell them they have a chance to get as close to actually going toe to toe with their favorite villain. Better yet, imagine being able to put yourself in Kratos' position in that final fight with Zeus. I know my adrenaline gets pumping simply thinking about it. Despite how interactive experts say about traditional gaming, it is still very much a spectators experience. We can remove ourselves from the spectators chair and onto the playing field (in a way we already have) lets hope we can apply that to something more epic than bowling or tennis.

On a side note: Imagine what would happen to the obesity rate if some of the more energetic action games got Kinect overhauls that forced the player to (somewhat) copy their character's attacks on screen. I guarantee you it would plummet like...well like a fat kid off a cliff.

Tom Goldman:
And (Microsoft) went, 'Oh come on, that's lying on the floor. That's so rare. We've got other issues we're dealing with."

Does anyone there even PLAY console video games? Playing while lying on the floor is about 30% of my gaming time.

I'm heroically avoiding any "geek unfamiliarity with the horizontal position" jabs, as well.

A push-up and sit-up game, eh? I know, just an example, but I can't possibly see that being any more enjoyable than doing the exact same without the console.

Anyway! My main concern remains that this will likely be a pointless addon for me. See, I usually have the console in my room when using it, on a desk about a meter to the left of the screen. The screen faces my bed, which I sit on while gaming, with little room inbetween. I'm failing to see how I could get it to work in those circumstances.

Admittedly I don't play it much any more because of the huge hassle involved in setting it up (probably not Microsoft's fault in this case), so it'll probably be set up elsewhere, but to me personally there's not much use for it outside of entertaining guests in the lounge. Which so far is a job taken by the Wii, which itself got stale pretty quickly.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here