WoW: Cataclysm Cinematic Intro Blows Everything Up Forever

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

WoW: Cataclysm Cinematic Intro Blows Everything Up Forever

The Cataclysm intro cinematic is here, and Azeroth is pretty much screwed.

Whatever you think about Blizzard's games, its franchises, or its ridiculously slow development time, I think we can all agree on this: Blizzard's in-house cinematic department makes ridiculously cool pre-rendered cutscenes. I would gladly watch an entire full-length CGI movie from that team, but it would probably take over a decade to make.

Blizzard has just released the full-length Cataclysm intro cinematic to coincide with the first commercials airing during the Vikings/Cowboys game, and it's a doozy.

While it's definitely more action-packed than the relatively subdued Wrath of the Lich King intro, it's also much more coherent than the "Hey let's show random player characters doing cool things!" style of the original World of Warcraft and Burning Crusade cinematics. Truth be told, I don't have a problem with it, except Gnomes still haven't been in a pre-rendered movie. Alas.

But you don't care about any of that, do you? You just want to watch Azeroth getting blown up by a huge dragon made of lava and evil with molten dark iron armor bolted to his skin, don't you?

In that case, you should be very, very satisfied.

it was... nice. But I expected more chin.

Holy crap.

Deathwing sounds like a Transformer!

I think it's meh. Deathing doesn't do a whole lot other than fly around all "HEY GUIZ LEWK AT MEH!"

This is such utter meh'ness... It's making me sad.

Cool eye candy though.

randomguy425:
I think it's meh. Deathing doesn't do a whole lot other than fly around all "HEY GUIZ LEWK AT MEH!"

Deathwing sounds like an attention whore now.

Someone sounds like he's been taking a little too much acting/evil lessons from Megatron. Possibly even took his voicebox, from the sound of it!

..Though the CGI is great, no less.

I know im nitpicking, bear with that, im just like that even in real life, but the art style Blizzard is recently following seems a bit repetitive. Deathwing face is so similar to Hydralisk it actually is disappointing.

randomguy425:

ciortas1:
This is such utter meh'ness... It's making me sad.

Cool eye candy though.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

I mean, let's be honest here. We watch their videos for the eye candy (and the awesome cinematography, but that falls under "eye candy"), and this was awesome eye candy.

Much better than Classic/BC intros, IMO. Not sure if I like it as much as the WotLK one.

see this is why I like eve. oh no giant dragon.... launching cruise missiles. *BOOM*

cruise missile > gun > magic > sword/hammer > stick

we also have cooler trailers/intros

gnomes haven't featured, because gnomes are ridiculous creatures that ruin tension.

Keava:
Deathwing face is so similar to Hydralisk it actually is disappointing.

So pleased I wasn't the only one thinking that

Keava:
I know im nitpicking, bear with that, im just like that even in real life, but the art style Blizzard is recently following seems a bit repetitive. Deathwing face is so similar to Hydralisk it actually is disappointing.

Now that you mentioned I'll never stop noticing! I think it looks neat. Deathwing that is. And the cinematic looks awesome. Too bad the game is not half as awesome. ^^

As much as I'm not interested in Cataclysm as an expansion, the one thing that hasn't degenerated in Blizzard is obviously the CGI department.

Too bad CGI trailers don't sell games, for me at least.

Sooooooooo.... Fire resist gear huh?

I think it got the point across. Big honkin dragon. Fire, tidal waves and earthquakes. Yep I'd say thats a Cataclysm alright.

Was definetly an epic commercial. Although I'm currently more worried that THE VIKINGS ARE SUCKING! Pick it up Vikes!

MOAR DOTS!

John Funk:
Much better than Classic/BC intros, IMO. Not sure if I like it as much as the WotLK one.

I really liked the Original/BC Intros. They were more about showing what you will become rather then who you'll be facing ehich I though was way more interesting. They also had a mage turning someone into a sheep so whats not to love :)

John Funk:

I dare to disagree. I loved the vanilla intro, it was way better in my eyes. It had a dwarf, cleavage, forsaken, cleavage, infernal, cleavage, and of course a bear! Beats a dragon that run into psychotic dentist by far.

Marq:

LOLOLOLOL fire resist. this video is awsome but if previous expansions have shown us anything...the only resist you need is a druid buff. When you get acheivements because you cant do it the other way/are too lazy to craft all the crap...MY VOTE 24-30 hours and everything in game will be killed. But this...this is Eye Candy like i have never seen before...i give it 3 days before i reup..again

Danzaivar:
Holy crap.

Deathwing sounds like a Transformer!

He also looks like steven segal crossed with baron underbite in his human form. So basically the most awesome character they've ever put out.

I'm not a fan of WoW. But their cinematics are always lovely.

Plinglebob:
MOAR DOTS!

John Funk:

I really liked the Original/BC Intros. They were more about showing what you will become rather then who you'll be facing ehich I though was way more interesting. They also had a mage turning someone into a sheep so whats not to love :)

Eh, in retrospect I find them way too scattered and unfocused. It's PLAYER CHARACTERS! DOING COOL THINGS! AWESOME POSE! VIOLENCE!

With the WotLK and now Cata intros, they're definitely more cohesive. I felt that having a defined villain from the outset in WotLK was one of the things it did really well (as opposed to Illidan/Kael/Vashj/KJ who were just kind of vaguely there in BC), and I like the new focus.

Keava:

John Funk:

I dare to disagree. I loved the vanilla intro, it was way better in my eyes. It had a dwarf, cleavage, forsaken, cleavage, infernal, cleavage, and of course a bear! Beats a dragon that run into psychotic dentist by far.

So you're saying that you don't like this as much because there aren't any Blood Elf female warriors running around in plate bikinis? Got it. ;)

Grafting Adamantium plates onto his skin looks painful :<

Maybe he wouldn't be so angry if he had some morphine..

He looks shy, i mean, he wreck places, shake the ground a bit, but there is no one (but his no-pay employees he doesnt care about) wherever he destoys something. He talk big, act big, smash big, but never in the presence of somebody?

Clip looks nice, but is uninteresting. Just another cliche, boring bid bad guy that will be killed 10000 times within a week when the game is released.

randomguy425:

His painful tantrums are literally destroying the whole earth... what more would you have him do? I'm sorry if that sounds snottish; I'm asking sincerely.

John Funk:

I think I actually like the intro to Burning Crusade the best. Come on; "You are not prepared!" Perhaps I'm just an Illidan Stormrage fanboy. Also, the Tauren getting sheeped. I kinda like those montages.

Regardless, this was a very nicely-done cinematic. I think I actually felt bad watching the dam and Darkshore get destroyed. I like the voice, I like the visuals, I like the music. I think it was fantastic. Blizzard knows what its doing, and I'm all the more excited about the expansion.

There's my two cents (plus a few dollars extra).

John Funk:
snip

Music tends to play a big part for me, and this was just so utterly generic and not Warcraft-y. This is instantly one of the worst Blizzard cinematics for me. Besides the 2 shots of Deathwing flying, he didn't really do anything cool. A fire breath to obliterate shit would've been welcome. Nothing memorable or important was said during the cinematic either, so meh.

Marq:

haha, fits perfectly with your avatar pic then...if I'm not mistaken that is a person/thing holding a gas can? :P

OT: Blizzard know their CGI, whish they could do more then that though, Starcraft 1 was boring, not buying 2 to find out, Diablo 2 was boring...didn't even play properly on my pc, that may be because it's a old game though =/

And WoW...I still play now and then..looking forward to cataclysm :p

John Funk:

Plinglebob:
MOAR DOTS!

John Funk:

Eh, in retrospect I find them way too scattered and unfocused. It's PLAYER CHARACTERS! DOING COOL THINGS! AWESOME POSE! VIOLENCE!

With the WotLK and now Cata intros, they're definitely more cohesive. I felt that having a defined villain from the outset in WotLK was one of the things it did really well (as opposed to Illidan/Kael/Vashj/KJ who were just kind of vaguely there in BC), and I like the new focus.

Damn, defeated by reason. Also, this new one showed the Dam breaking and 1000 Needles being flooded and considering they were 2 of my favourite places in WoW, its hard to watch it without tears welling up *sniff*

mb16:
we also have cooler trailers/intros

While we can argue over who has cooler trailers, I have to admit that CCP doesn't get enough credit for their trailers. Take this one as an example.

so Cataclysm is the 2012 of WoW?

I like it. As you said, the thing that really makes an attractive, cohesive story (and MMO) is a strong villain presence, and they nailed that in LK and everything released for Cataclysm so far. So what if Deathwing is kind of an attention whore? He's a goddam dragon, and an Aspect besides - in WoW, that pretty much makes you a self-absorbed bastard by default. And for a short trailer, it did a lot to set the context for what's going on in the next couple months - I loved the ground collapse caused by Deathwing smashing his head against a cavern wall.

Captain Pancake:
gnomes haven't featured, because gnomes are ridiculous creatures that ruin tension.

This gnome lodges a protest regarding this statement.

That was rather neat. Glad to see they are now actually showing events pertinent to the game/expansion. Back when Burning Crusade was released, I wanted the cinematic to at least show the Exodar crashing, or whatever it was it did.

That said, my favourites do remain the original WoW and Burning Crusade cinematics. The latter two lacked Night Elves/Blood Elves which I'm afraid puts them at a disadvantage from where I'm standing...

ciortas1:

John Funk:
snip

Music tends to play a big part for me, and this was just so utterly generic and not Warcraft-y. This is instantly one of the worst Blizzard cinematics for me. Besides the 2 shots of Deathwing flying, he didn't really do anything cool. A fire breath to obliterate shit would've been welcome. Nothing memorable or important was said during the cinematic either, so meh.

Oh man, I thought the music was great - especially the bit at ~1:45 which is essentially that iconic "entering Stormwind" theme, just in a darker, corrupted rearrangement. Which... fits nicely with what's going on. Though I suppose if you're the type who doesn't play Alliance, you wouldn't recognize it, then.

Yes, it's a shame that there's no "You are not prepared!" or "You... will be king" quote, which is why I'm tentatively slotting it below the WotLK cinematic. But visually, it's stunning imo.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here