Medal of Honor Sales Are Not Amazing

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Medal of Honor Sales Are Not Amazing

EA's latest MoH shooter fails to impress critics and only sells 1.5 million copies in the first five days.

By most accounts, selling that many copies in the first week would be considered a fantastic success for a game. But EA has been heavily marketing the title and claiming that the Medal of Honor franchise will overtake its chief competitor's Call of Duty series. Unfortunately for EA, Medal of Honor did not reach anywhere near the kind of debut sales that Activision's Modern Warfare 2 did around this time last year. 1.5 million over five days just pales in comparison to MW2's 7 million in one day. Not only have sales been down, but MoH is earning generally poor reviews, including from The Escapist's own Steve Butts. Sorry, EA, maybe you'll have better luck with Battlefield.

That didn't stop EA from rolling out shiny new multiplayer modes. The mode will involve teamwork and include two new maps: Bagram Hangar and Khyber Cave. Called "Clean Sweep," the multiplayer pack will be available to download from PSN and XBL on November 2nd free of charge for those of you who bought the game new and have the Online Pass. There is no word how much it will cost if you don't have the code for the Online Pass.

"Medal of Honor is one of EA's most storied franchises and we're thrilled to see that fans worldwide have embraced it," EA's President Frank Gibeau. "In this ultra competitive category, Medal of Honor stands out from the pack. By portraying the Tier 1 Operator as so elite, so tough, Medal of Honor offers a view into a world that has the power to resonate with FPS gamers everywhere."

While Frank may believe that he's got the best game out there, the truth is that Medal of Honor just doesn't live up to its competitors. As Mr. Butts says, MoH tries to do everything that Modern Warfare 2 did but it just falls short. It's certainly possible that MoH will be a sleeper hit and sell well on its multiplayer alone, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Quelle surprise.

Perhaps this will prove to other companies that follow-the-leader often doesn't work.

tomtom94:
Quelle surprise.

Perhaps this will prove to other companies that follow-the-leader often doesn't work.

Agreed - I think Modern Warfare 2 has that market pretty much locked down. The only thing I'd want to add is vehicular combat, and I think EA's other shooters have that covered, don't they?

Is anyone surprised? That game isnt that good.

Kind of serves them right for trying to jump on the bandwagon really. It's a little like Haze with the whole special-armoured soldier thing.

They should have just reboxed Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I bet you $5 it would have made double sales :P

I hope other IPs don't suffer a knock on effect from this...

Oh well there's always next time EA.

Seems like everyone who wanted Modern Warfare 2 already bought it already... I bet Bobby Kotick and his friends from Infinity Ward are laughing right now.

i remember when there was a time when major I.Ps could only dream of selling 1.5 million in 5 days. alas times have changed :P

"In this ultra competitive category, Medal of Honor stands out from the pack. By portraying the Tier 1 Operator as so elite, so tough, Medal of Honor offers a view into a world that has the power to resonate with FPS gamers everywhere."

I'm sorry, I couldn't help being amused by this part....

Why people would want to mimick CoD:MW I have no idea.

I wont even be bothering to download this game.

"In this ultra competitive category, Medal of Honor stands out from the pack. By portraying the Tier 1 Operator as so elite, so tough, Medal of Honor offers a view into a world that has the power to resonate with FPS gamers everywhere."

Oh yeah very elite and tough. So tough that my guy can't climb up a ledge without the help of someone.

Wait, so selling 1.5 million goddamn copies isn't impressive enough?

The games industry has an even more warped view of success than I thought. What happened to the days of a game selling one million copies total was a good feat?

This isn't surprising news.

Medal of Honor haven't made a decent game since Allied Assault back in 2002. Then a year later, up pops Call of Duty and the WW2 FPS market was well and truly taken from MOH. Well they've made some brave attempts to regain the crown with Airborne and now this... sadly it would seem that COD reigns supreme now.

It saddens me really, I'm not a COD fan by any means, but it does annoy me when these developers try so hard to become "better than the competition" simply by making the same game. I mean, honestly guys?

MoH stands out from the pack?

Whuh?

I was thinking about picking this up.

Hmmm.

Maybe I'll get it on the PS3.

When prices drop thanks to low sales.

It all works out for me! :P

Meh you win some you lose some.

I just happen to have lost 40.

Still, keeps me busy till my new vegas arrives.

metroidgearsolid:
i remember when there was a time when major I.Ps could only dream of selling 1.5 million in 5 days. alas times have changed :P

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this. Given how crappy the game is I'm actually shocked it sold that many.

Hey EA... I told you so.

Literally, I posted that this would happen in your forums months ago.

Aiming to dethrone games specifically never works. You end up with a cheap copy of something people already paid for. It didn't work for the hundreds of "Halo killers", it didn't work for the thousands of "WoW killers". Take a note.

PS: Aiming to dethrone terrible piles of shit (MW2) works even less.

Only 1.5 million? Poor things...

I find it rather funny, or maybe sad, that Electronic Arts has pushed Mehdal of Honour (See what I did there? - No, not my preferred spelling of Honour) so much against Call of Duty, are they blind, ignorant or simply dim witted. They have a CoD killer. It's called 'Bad Company'.

Mehdal of Honour was, and still is, completely unnecessary as it's a patchwork quilt of two games that tries so hard to be liked it falls flat. Nice try EA but let this one slip back into that deep sleep.

I didn't even know it was out...

Maybe that's their problem.

*Only* 1.5 million in 5 days? I mean, sure, that's nothing compared to Modern Warfare 2, but it's not anything to sneeze at either. They managed to convince consumers to drop roughly $90 mil on this game in less than a week.

Earth to Game Industry: If you can sell 1.5 million copies of a game in less than a week and this counts as "not good", you are doing something wrong! Seriously, either development costs are too high, or you're all just delusional. Christ...

Tharwen:
I didn't even know it was out...

Maybe that's their problem.

Neither did I.

The posters for it have been up in my local game stores for months now, none of them have a release date on them and none of them say "OUT NOW!"

There is just too many modern FPS on the market based around Multiplayer

you oversatrated the market. Putting controversy in the game and over-hyping it dose not grantee sales. Doing something new that people find fun dose.

I actually like this game and I hope that they can develop a series based on the Tier 1 operations around the world. I don't care what you you other guys think, this was a solid game, if a bit short and suffering from some odd technical issues. However, since when is selling 1.5 million copies in 5 days a failure? Since when are review scores averaging in the 70s and 80s considered poor? Am I missing something? I get the feeling that EA wanted Medal of Honor rolled out the same year as BF:BC2 so that they could rake in a little extra cash. Fuckin' shame if you ask me because this game could have been something more than just "good" or "solid" if it had been given more time for development. As it stands, it's a nice foundation for a potential franchise based on this Tier 1 angle if EA chooses to go with it. I can only hope that this sequels follow and that they can be something even better. At least EA made a damn good decision to give PS3 owners an HD upgrade of Frontline with the Limited Edition. Money well spent!

I got a copy of this for free. I wonder if I should sell it.

Called it from the minute i heard they were going modern.

I'm almost thinking that it would have done better set in WW11, because there haven't been very many WW11 games this year, and they could have had a niche. Hell, if they used lots of vehicles and had destructible environments, they could have really re-invigorated the series.

Or, in the opposite direction, they could have told a mature, intelligent story, and gotten themselves some GOTY potential.

Do you know what's REALLY the problem here?
No one fucking cares anymore. These industry giants all try to get into the same tiny genre and they can't all fit. They pollute the market with tons of similar games each year and the gamers become numb to them. MoH looks like all the other modern shooters, why should we care? How is it different? How is it better?

It's not any of these things, it's basically the same game as all the others.

How's a 75 on Metacritic considered poor reviews? Not only that, but this site gave it a 3/5, which is decent but nor terrible.

Greg Tito:
Not only have sales been down, but MoH is earning generally poor reviews, including from The Escapist's own Steve Butts. Sorry, EA, maybe you'll have better luck with Battlefield.

Jeez.

Anyway, I can certainly understand that since games are more expensive, publishers want their games to sell a shit-ton. That said, 1.5 million copies in 5 days is not bad, considering this to be a revival of a franchise that's been considered dead for quite some time now. I honestly believe if Danger Close takes on the multiplayer for the next game (which there might be), it's gonna make for a more cohesive and interesting experience.

After watching Steve's review of MoH, it struck me that the game was more geared for multiplayer and not so much the single player. Which made the whole fiasco over playable Taliban in MoH multiplayer all the more relevant to those speaking out against it.
EA, you really really screwed up on this, and sugarcoating it is not gonna win you awards.
Battlefield Bad Company was doing fine with modern day warfare. Medal of Honor should have stayed in WW2 or touched on other earlier conflicts.
Count this as a loss and learn from it.

still, the game is pretty good and not filled to stuffing with bullshit.

Not the brightest idea for EA to release their CoD clone just a few weeks before an actual CoD game comes out, huh?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here