Mother 4 Coming Without Nintendo's Help

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mother 4 Coming Without Nintendo's Help

Eccentric RPG series Mother/Earthbound is getting a fourth game whether Nintendo creates it or not.

The Mother series, also known as Earthbound, doesn't have a very good history in North America. Nintendo only brought one of the the series' titles to the U.S. back in the Super Nintendo era, with the much-wanted Mother 3 for the Game Boy Advance likely being kept in Japan for eternity. Though Nintendo has shunned overseas markets when it comes to Mother, fans are creating a new Mother game that will be available to everyone.

One only has to look back to the sale of an unopened Earthbound for $1000 on eBay a year ago to see the value the series still holds to gamers. Mother is an RPG with a turn-based battle system, but it takes place in a wacky, modern-day universe where skateboard punks and aliens must be taken out with psychic powers and baseball bats, and it has a great musical score.

A fan group calling themselves Azure Studios is working on their version of Mother 4, and much to my surprise have been working on it since 2008. Nintendo hasn't made any plans known to create a new Mother game, so why not? Despite the project not being made by Nintendo or series creator Shigesato Itoi, its early screenshots have nailed the visual style perfectly. Now if the music and gameplay can also replicate what makes Mother so cool too.

Azure's take on Mother will follow a boy named Chase who is thrown into the middle of a multitude of strange occurrences, such as alien abductions and inanimate objects like construction equipment coming to life. He and four companions, including Leo the "street-wise rough and tough street urchin," embark on a journey to combat these disasters and find out the true enemy behind them.

Mother 4 will be absolutely free when it's eventually released, but Azure doesn't have a projection for when the game will come out. This might not be as ideal as a new Mother from the original creators, but it's about as good as we're going to get.

Source: Mother 4 Website, via GoNintendo

$5 says Nintendo cans this right before they finish it.

I really hope it gets released, but chances are it won't. Which would make me a very sad panda...

At least you guys actually got any of the Earthbound games.. Stupid PAL region. I'd like to see this come out, as I've heard so many great things about the series.

Wish they could release Earthbound series in Europe, wanted to play it since I first played as Ness on Smash Brothers on the N64>.<

Pff. I wouldn't call it Mother 4 unless it was made by the people that made the first 3 Mothers.
This seems more like a game-inspired-by-the-mother-series.

Now if we could just do something similar with Warcraft 4....

wait a couple weeks, Nintendo will probably shut this down like the DICKS they are.

These guys will get a C&D letter as soon as this story gets some wind under it's wings.

icyneesan:

There's no point in making a 4th Warcraft RTS at this point because Blizzard continues to advance the story in WoW. Even if fans decided to make their own by the time it would be released the story would have advance far past what they'd have started with. Until Blizzard decides that WoW has run its course and it's time to move on to something new will a window of opportunity open for a 4th RTS.

KeyMaster45:

icyneesan:

There's no point in making a 4th Warcraft RTS at this point because Blizzard continues to advance the story in WoW. Even if fans decided to make their own by the time it would be released the story would have advance far past what they'd have started with. Until Blizzard decides that WoW has run its course and it's time to move on to something new will a window of opportunity open for a 4th RTS.

I refuse to believe anything that has happened in WoW is canon :P

eg: Ignore reality, substitute with own :D

Irridium:

I really hope it gets released, but chances are it won't. Which would make me a very sad panda...

I raise you....an unopened Earthbound game.

Fuck you Nintendo. I'm saying this because I know you'll shut it down.

FUCK YOU.

That's...pretty good.*

*Highest praise I can give.

And they're going to get ban hammered and forced to delete all their work immediately before release. Nintendo should just pay them for the work and build it into an official game.

I played on of the Earthbound's on an emulator back in the day and loved its whole "Jap RPG with 90s American kids movie setting" vibe.

If it brings back the sound battle system from Mother 3, I will probably cry. Especially if the esoundtrack is extremely awesome.

I think my mind just exploded from the sheer amazement I am feeling right now...

Y'know, seeing as how Reggie knows about the Mother 3 fan-translation project, I doubt that this is going to be C&D'd. I could be wrong, although I seriously hope I'm not--more Mother is never a bad thing. Hopefully this game will live up to the charm of its predecessors.

Speaking of which, I probably should go finish the first one...

Yeah, I think this fan project might actually avoid a Cease-and-Desist. Judging from Nintendo's treatment of the franchise, it just seems they really don't care about the Mother games anymore. If they did, then Mother 1 & 2 would be on the Virtual Console in Japan (legal issues are nonexistant there), Mother 3 would've been on the DS, and the fan translation would've been shut down by now. Also, they don't seem to be stealing any code from this, which was the fatal error made by that Pokemon MMO team a year ago.

Also, Itoi has stated that he'd like to see someone else make Mother 4 since he doesn't want to, so it's not like this goes against his wishes.

Why does Nintendo hate the Mother series so much? Can anyone help me solve this question?

Nintendo is going to shoot this down, which really will be a shame. I love the Mother series.

Sigh, Nintendo should just give in and release Mother 3 to areas outside of Japan. All that piracy is their doing if you ask me. As least when it comes to Mother 3. I hope they don't blast this game down, as it looks really nice but I'm pretty sure they will. >_<

Countdown to cease and desist. The Escapist never should have run this article :(

I played Mother 3 and I didn't really think it was as amazing as everyone told me. With that said, this fan-game looks nice. Nintendo will likely make them can the game halfway through, so I'm not holding my breath.

However, they never asked the Mother 3 fan translation to shut down because it didn't hinder sales.

The Rascal King:
Why does Nintendo hate the Mother series so much? Can anyone help me solve this question?

The series had sub-par sales in America and they were developed near the end of the lifespan of their respective console.

Despite that I like the Mother Series and the original creator, I doubt that it would live up to the 3 games. Still, it's confusing that there's a massive audience who loves Mother series and Nintendo is flipping the bird.

This makes me recall Yahtzee's review on Smash Bros. Brawl: Nintendo will put in a character that they refuse to release the game outside of Japan. Seriously, they're sitting on a golden egg that could hatch into a highly acclaimed return, remake, fourth installment, anything really. This is not even a Final Fantasy 7 matter, they literally could release the same versions of the old games in English and blow people away. I personally don't know much about the Mother series and don't even like turn-based one iota, but since Smash Bros. Melee I find the series at awfully enticing regardless out of curiosity alone. It sure didn't help that those trophies made the Mother series out to be such a fascinating tease.

Irridium:

megaman24681012:
wait a couple weeks, Nintendo will probably shut this down like the DICKS they are.

Exactly, 'tis was my first thought as well. Isn't this a clear case of copyright infringement? Creating an "ideal sequel" to a trilogy that was developed by someone else ?

Um... lawsuit? >_>?
No, but seriously though. I don't think that Nintendo would even let this happen. (Though with the internet, who can really be sure)
Yeah, everybody is right by saying that Nintendo sitting on a goldmine if they continue the Mother series. I would freaking love it if they released 3 everywhere else.

Nintendo already killed a bunch of fan-made projects using their super-lawyer powers. I don't see why this will be any different. Nintendo is as thick as the RIAA when it comes to intellectual properties. Remind me again why I'm supposed to worship them?

You guys should not have run this article, it's basically a flare gun that will bring down the Nintendo legal team on this project.

The Mother series is the most unfortunate paradox I know in gaming. How can a title that sold so anemically in North America still gather and maintain such a vociferous fanbase to this day? And why have I always been among them? It's freakin' torture!

SantoUno:
Exactly, 'tis was my first thought as well. Isn't this a clear case of copyright infringement? Creating an "ideal sequel" to a trilogy that was developed by someone else ?

Depending on how they approach it, it could be much more.

However, fan works don't always get hit with suits. This will be free, so it might escape their wrath. On the other hand, I find the original article's "sure, why not?" Attitude kinda funny. Well, because they still don't own the rights and whatnot, that's why not.

I thought this might be a legit game, made by a third party with licensing rights or some such.

Still yet to play a Mother game; Earthbound was 90 bucks locally, at a time where most games were 60-70 tops. I couldn't justify that much money on an unknown entity. Given the cult hit it is, I really regret that.

If this actually gets released, it might be my very first Mother game ever. Nintendo has gone out of its way to make sure I never play a single one of those games.

Irridium:

This was my only thought while reading, despite some great things Nintendo have done, they're gigantic dicks who make really bad decisions very often, sadly. If they were a smart company they would've re-released the Mother games long ago, there is NO excuse.

Ahhhhhhhh. The wonders of RPG maker.

What everyone else said, Nintendo, the giant douchenozzles, are just going to shut it down. The creators should probably just stop before they waste more effort.

They should have waited till they finished to say anything
T_T now Nintendo will kill it
like they do with everything.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook