Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright Crossover for Japan Only, Says Capcom

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright Crossover for Japan Only, Says Capcom

If Western want to spot the contradictions in some fiendish puzzles, they're going to have to shout loud enough for Capcom to hear.

If you're one of the sizeable number of people excited about the recently revealed Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover, then Capcom has a little bit of bad news for you. In a post on the Capcom Unity blog, Joveth "jgonzo" Gonzalez said that the game is only confirmed for Japan, with no current plans to release it in the West.

The decision to limit the game to Japan for the time being may come as a surprise to some, but a look at Capcom's figures for the lifetime sales of the Ace Attorney series - 3.9 million spread over 13 titles - suggests that Phoenix Wright has niche, rather than mainstream, appeal. Sales for the Professor Layton games are more robust however, with nearly ten million games sold since the release of Professor Layton and the Curious Village in 2007.

It seems reasonable to assume that Capcom is worried about how much appeal the game will actually have in the West, an assumption bolstered by Gonzalez' comments that Capcom might release the game outside of Japan if fans showed enough support. A better idea of the size of the audience for the crossover might assuage some of Capcom's apparent fears over releasing the game in the West.

Not a lot is known about the crossover, except that it has a working title of Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, and it involves the investigative duo becoming embroiled in a witch trial in the mysterious medieval Labyrinth City.

Source: Eurogamer

No! They need to release it in the west...it's too awesome.

Shouting time!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

...Was that loud enough?

Time to send messages to Capcom. All of us. We have to do it. We need this game.

Hmm im starting to sense a mother 3 senario happening again.

Stupid gamers Trix is for japan. ( sorry bad pun) But come on this is coming from a company that released a translated version of fate/unlimited codes on the psp here, the fan base of that is far far less over here than these games.

Hell I think they should forgoe the game and just release a short/feature film based around it. Certainly the Layton games would make pretty decent films but it looks like they've stepped up their game in terms of quality since their bringing in Wright for the crossover.

KeyMaster45:
Hell I think they should forgoe the game and just release a short/feature film based around it. Certainly the Layton games would make pretty decent films but it looks like they've stepped up their game in terms of quality since their bringing in Wright for the crossover.

They already DID make films of Layton.

By the time people finally caught-on to the Ace Attorney series over here, the games were already rare to find in stores, and stupid expensive to buy online. I'd be surprised if the WiiWare release of the Phoenix Wright games didn't outsell their DS counterparts significantly.

Noooo! I need this!

I had a feeling this would happen, but it did not stop me from yelling "SON OF A FUCKING BITCH" at 8AM in the morning.

There's still plenty of time for corporate minds to be changed.

WHAT.

This is completely unacceptable. THIS MUST BE RELEASED INTO THE WEST.

My emotions in just 1 picture.

This news is too depressing. Why would you release this after I'm already at work so I can't call out sick? *tear*

Petition time?

coldfrog:
Petition time?

Petition time!
I. want. that. Game. RAAAAAHR!

If they're gonna skip a US release, the least they could do is stick it on the hackable DS so that people could make a fan translation. On the 3DS, we're completely out of luck.

P.S. Thanks

Normally when it comes to petitioning for release of a game from another country, I don't get worked up enough, but I really do want this game. I'm sure that someone has already started one by now.

zidine100:
Hmm im starting to sense a mother 3 senario happening again.

Oh, good, I thought I was the only one.

I've actually never played any game in either series (though I know I will eventually), and I already know that this game would be a must-have if we get it to hit the states.

Well I think this si something that is going to be a good sell but still though I got my hands on the Japanese trailer and couldn't understand a word. If someone can link me to the English one then I would be really happy.

No!! Here me Capcom! I AM the West, and I want this game! D=
PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASE!

Give it to us you sons a bitches!

Impluse_101:
My emotions in just 1 picture.

My sentiments exactly. Along with that Darth Vader "No" picture.

Give it here so you jerks!

Onyx Oblivion:
Time to send messages to Capcom. All of us. We have to do it. We need this game.

i think a boycott is actually in order till we get this.

WTF is wrong with capcom we get the stupid Mile Edgeworth game but not the best match up i could ever dream up.

I'm waiting for someone to scream "OBJECTION!" over this announcement. It'd be fitting.

So, how do they expect us to show our support for this exactly?

Bring it to ussss! Those are the two greatest DS titles out, mixed together! There's no reason to NOT buy it!

NOOOOOOOOOO

I was SO looking forward for a game with actually phoenix wright in it, instead of apollo justice (not that bad a game but i want phoenix) and edgeworth (no comment), come on greedy crapcom share the goodness that is phoenix wright instead of pissing on my parade.

Gamegodtre:

Onyx Oblivion:

Yes, because boycotts ahve such a long history of working.

JDviewer:
Normally when it comes to petitioning for release of a game from another country, I don't get worked up enough, but I really do want this game. I'm sure that someone has already started one by now.

I don't think petitions ever work unless they are proper mainstream campaigns that get a big public appeal, internet petitions seem to sway **** all =/

McMarbles:

Gamegodtre:

Onyx Oblivion:

Yes, because boycotts ahve such a long history of working.

good point how bout a million letters (i'm old fashioned) mailed to capcom japan with OBJECTION on them

Excuse me for a moment...
-steps outside-
GOD MOTHERFUCKING DAMMIT!
-steps back in-
I'm better now. This'll be my new Mother 3, I see. If somebody does start a petition (or finds one), I'll gladly "sign." Hell, I might even send a letter to Capcom (of America) personally, whining about this.

A boycott wouldn't work. Capcom's games are just too damn alluring to ignore. What's that Capcom? Mega Man Legends 3?
-bows before the might of Keiji Inafune-

I think I just died a little inside, why can't we get it :( I blame people who buy games like call of duty over professor layton and ace atternory, I'M LOOKING AT YOU RYAN (if you are ryan this probably freaked you out but I'm talking about another ryan who I assume is not reading this/on this forum)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here