Sony Announces New PS2 Bundle

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony still believes the PS2 has some solid sales potential and has just announced a new bundle for the console.

Even though we're several incarnations into the PS3's existence, Sony wants you to know that it hasn't given up on the PlayStation 2's retail potential. The electronics manufacturer has revealed that it's putting out a new bundle of the ten-year-old console.

The new special edition bundle will hit stores on October 31st, which comes with a PS2 build of Toy Story 3 and will run $99. It's actually a pretty decent price, especially if you happen to be looking for a DVD player with some gaming potential.

It's tempting to write off the PS2 as a hopelessly-outdated system, but I have a number of friends who still get a lot of fun out of the console, especially when they're using it for party games or playing some of the more iconic titles like God of War and the Jak & Daxter series. For $99, the bundle is certainly a solid deal.

Source: Eurogamer

Or they could simply make that little PS2 playing device that they'd come up with an idea for...

Hell, I wish they would just produce more for a reduced price, I mean, I could go for a brand new PS2, mine is getting on in years and a replacement to help me cut through the massive PS2 library is just what the doctor ordered. I might just shell out $99 for the bundle to get at the system.

Sounds like a good deal, but could they of picked a better game then Toy Story 3? I loved the movie but even Pixar tie in games are terrible.

vansau:
It's actually a pretty decent price, especially if you happen to be looking for a DVD player with some gaming potential.

If you wanted a DVD player that plays games for $100, you could get a 360 Arcade for somewhat cheaper on eBay.

hell my PS2 gets more playtime than my 360, I love having 3 buddies over and we can just play some 4-player bond or timesplitters, drink, bullshit and just have a great time

My PS2 is still the most played console in my house. Prettier graphics aside, I've found very few games that have really brought a lot of new things to the gameplay table that couldn't/weren't done on the PS2.

Sackboy can wear all the little clothes and wigs that he wants, big manly bonding men can hide behind all the chest-high walls between here and mars, and everyone else can quicktime their way to hell, but they will all still get rolled up by my katamari and hurled at the sun.

Sparrow:

vansau:
It's actually a pretty decent price, especially if you happen to be looking for a DVD player with some gaming potential.

If you wanted a DVD player that plays games for $100, you could get a 360 Arcade for somewhat cheaper on eBay.

Let's not forget that the Sony site says that using the DVD function on a PS2 wears the laser out resulting in a shortened life span. Why not just buy a used PS2 for $50 and a cheap DVD player for $20?

On the one hand, companies supporting their old products is something we don't see enough of in technology-based indsutries. Kudos to Sony for realizing that yesterday's customers are no less valuable than today's. PS2 games are still being played, so PS2 Consoles should still be produced new if possible, albeit in smaller amounts. Nothing is worse than telling someone that the AC Adapter to their N64 is going to be difficult to replace after their cat ate the cable.

On the other hand, if Sony could just have found a way to keep backwards compaitbility in the PS3 at an affordable price, none of this would be necessary.

vansau:

It's tempting to write off the PS2 as a hopelessly-outdated system, but I have a number of friends who still get a lot of fun out of the console, especially when they're using it for party games or playing some of the more iconic titles like God of War and the Jak & Daxter series. For $99, the bundle is certainly a solid deal.

Source: Eurogamer

What about Ratchet and Clank? Best PS2 game series.

I still have a PS2 plugged into my tv. FFX, FFXII, Jak 2&3 + R&C are all still on the rotation.

That is a good deal, especially when you consider how great the PS2's library was and how you can't play any of it on most PS3s.

But I'll hold out for a PS2 emulator patch or store-bought attachment.

I am genuinely surprised.

I love the PS2. So many memories. Such a great console. I am a life long devoted PC gamer but my favorite game of all time is MGS3. I still remember the hype and everything. I think I'm gonna get this. I still have a shitload of games for PS2, over 142 to be precise.

Come on Sony let it die. Put PS2 games on the PSN Store and I will be happy.

And who's gonna sell this? All the targets in my district phased them out 18 months ago, wal-mart doesn't carry them. If you get it from game stop why would you not just get a used one for 30-50 bucks or an arcade for 99-129.

I have a collection of over 100 PS2 titles and they are all classics, no duds! name another console that can claim this!

or here's an idea: make ps2 games downloadable on the psn!

I recently got a PS2 for free. Im not sure what kind of person thinks to themselves "Hmmm... im going to go out and blow $100 on a PS2". Im not sure who hasn't already got one or who wouldn't just buy a decent one second-hand for a much cheaper price.

Then again tt's good to see the console is not dead but i don't really see it's market anymore. Unless they market it as a low-cost alternative/ complement to the Wii for newer gamers. I guess that could work. Infact given the choice i would take a PS2 over a Wii any day due to it's sheer crushing weight of software. If they re-published a load of lder games and marketed them to the Wii audience they might actually get to play something decent for one, or at least a decent ammount of something decent if you get my meaning. I would still pitch Ratchet and Clank 1 against the majority of even the better end of the Wii's library.

Good. I need a new PS2 after my old one got cookie crumbles in the drive somehow.

That's pretty cool.

In any case, I have an early PS3, so I'm unaffected so long as it stays alive.

Nice to see an old generation console is doing well...

May have to buy a new 1...

Tipsy Giant:
I have a collection of over 100 PS2 titles and they are all classics, no duds! name another console that can claim this!

PS1? ^_^

Nintendo 64?

Quite a few consoles have loads of games :P

I think even the 360, Wii, and PS3 could pull it off...seen as though they will be out for at least another 4 years

Just imagine if this package wasn't necessary, if the PS3 was backwards compatible... after all, Sony definitely wouldn't be so evil as to cannibalize such a feature in order to sell more PS2s, never.

Bah, I'm just a dreamer.

arc1991:

Tipsy Giant:

PS1? ^_^

Nintendo 64?

Quite a few consoles have loads of games :P

I think even the 360, Wii, and PS3 could pull it off...seen as though they will be out for at least another 4 years

ONE HUNDRED top titles, no!

maybe 50, even maybe 75 for PS1 but to get to 100 TOP titles is harder than you'd think

They could probably ship more PS3s if they had backwards compatibility.... Or if they released all they rereleased all those awesome PS2 games onto the PS3...

I'm looking at you Okage Shadow King!

I fully support the releasing of older consoles. I wish Nintendo would do it with their older consoles; my N64 is old, and I missed the opportunities to check out the NES and SNES classics due to being either too young or not born at the time.

Still, I think it's cool they're releasing the PS2 again for a while. I might pick it up since I have an aging PS2 myself.

Or, you know, Sony could have kept the backwards-compatibility the PS3 had originally...

i dont get why they still make games for ps2, explain plz?

Ah, the Golden Age of Consoles for me; the GameCube and a PS2. But if Sony didn't skip the backwards compatability, they wouldn't need to do this, which probably means this is a money making scheme.

Not G. Ivingname:
Sounds like a good deal, but could they of picked a better game then Toy Story 3? I loved the movie but even Pixar tie in games are terrible.

I think that's my only compliant about this bundle? Out of all the great PS2 games out there and this is the one you picked for the bundle?

imnotparanoid:

because some of us are still to broke to go next gen on ps3. Yes we exist, and yes we don't have jobs, yes most of us are looking we aren't dead beats.

Personally i just want an original ps3 with backwards compatibility. But alas no job and no poun....i mean no dollars after the move and it seems my school won't give me financial aid or loans so dead end there as well.

they should drop the price lower because of the toy story game.

this is about all i can come up with for that

I'm happy to see Sony is still supporting the PS2. They were still making PS2 versions of games long after the PS3 came out which I was very grateful for. The PS2 ports of PSP games were great for someone who doesn't own a hand-held console.

However, I don't quite understand this move... you can buy a cheap PS2 slim just about anywhere for much cheaper than this price. I guess it's one way of getting some more consoles out there but why now, after all this time?

Still, Kudos to Sony for supporting their brand so fully. Microsoft couldn't wait to drop the original Xbox the very moment the 360 came out. And let's not even mention their support towards the old, and much cherished Xbox original games... Backwards compatibility? What's that?

For all you people wondering who would buy a ps2 at a brand new price. I will raise my hand high because I just did. My launch ps2 finally died last month no amount of fiddling with laser would bring her back and the drive motor sounded like it was going to blow up soon. I would much rather buy a new one then a refurbished POS from gamestop. If I spend the few extra bucks then I know it will last for years to come.

Also I own a launch ps3 with backwards compatibility but sometimes the wife is using the ps3 and I want to play a ps2 game or i am playing ps3 and the wife wants to play ps2. I applaud sony for continuing to support the ps2. Especially as long as they do not have backwards compatibility in the ps3 I hope there are ps2's on the shelf.

twaddle:

imnotparanoid:

because some of us are still to broke to go next gen on ps3. Yes we exist, and yes we don't have jobs, yes most of us are looking we aren't dead beats.

Personally i just want an original ps3 with backwards compatibility. But alas no job and no poun....i mean no dollars after the move and it seems my school won't give me financial aid or loans so dead end there as well.

I guess but from a buissness point of view I would have though they would stop.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here