Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Minecraft multiplayer is down thanks to a DDoS attack which is apparently being carried out by a group of Minecraft fans who are dissatisfied with the way creator Markus Persson is handling the game.

Minecraft is a pretty amazing thing. You can build a full-scale replica of the NCC-1701D with it. You can make a working computer with it. You can recreate Andrew Ryan's underwater utopia with it. But what you can't do, for the moment at least, is log into your account or hook up to multiplayer servers. The reason is simple: The hub at Minecraft.net has been getting pounded by a DDoS attack since yesterday afternoon.

"I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but minecraft.net appears to be suffering some kind of attack, and is down at the moment," Persson wrote on his personal blog. "I'm working on fixing it."

About an hour later, he reconsidered, noting that the Minecraft.net host was down as well and saying that it could be a more widespread error on the net. But after another hour, he confirmed that it was in fact an attack. "SYN flood, apparently," he wrote. "I've learned a lot today."

Persson said he has no idea why Minecraft would be targeted but whoever is responsible appears determined to cause some serious havoc. "I got some great help from the people running the Minecraft forums, and then my server host confirmed it was a DDoS attack," he told Giant Bomb. "We fixed the initial attack, but then a larger one started."

One possible and rather bizarre explanation explanation came to light earlier today: Disgruntled fans. According to a post on 4chan (via Kotaku), a group of Minecraft players want to "send [Persson] a message" and force him to deliver promised updates by bringing down the site and disrupting his sales.

Minecraft is currently experiencing a stimulation provided by us.

It's purpose is to send Notch a clear message of how the future of minecraft will turn out unless he gets to work, namely by influencing the amount of sales taking place, due to the attacks.

Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them.

We have roughly 83,000 bots available, and preserved for this seizure, we could if we wanted to keep this going for weeks, however we have decided to give it a week, and see whether or not your attitude, and commitment will change, we believe it will when money stops rolling in for the time being...

anyhow, no we're not from roblox, or any other minecraft clone, not to mention none of us have been around 4chan for years, and nor has any real 4channers for that matter, its all newfags now, and has been for quite a few years.

Whether or not the statement is authentic can't be verified, but the collective vindictiveness of gamers who feel they're owed something and being denied is a powerful thing. Whatever the reason, I'm hopeful that Minecraft will be back in all its glory as soon as possible, and I'd also like to say something to the people responsible for bringing it down: You guys aren't fans. You're just a bunch of dicks.

Not sure if it is a connection or just a coincidence, but when I tried offline single player, that was also crashing...

Maybe if he turned the other cheek, and just abandoned it altogether for a while. Sorta like in the film the hurt locker:

"If they're gonna plant a bomb on the side of their road, then we're just gonna have to blow up their fucking road".

Also, what the hell is DDos?

A DDoS just because he hasnt updated things aas quickly as they wanted? That seems a little excessive. Couldn't they have just sent him an email?

What a bunch of ass-sucking pricks 4chan is comprised of

You summed it up perfectly Andy.

What a bunch of self-righteous wankers... "Boohoo, we have a botnet". Gtfo and learn some real hacking you useless brat, and against an Indie developer as well? These guys sicken me.

Andy Chalk:
You're just a bunch of dicks.

I can't believe these people. That's some of the craziest logic I've ever heard. It's like punching your baker because he isn't making your cake fast enough.

qbanknight:

I think they like proving this point, because they sure do it a lot.

We have a workaround in our usergroup to get on our server.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Minecraft-Appreciation-Club

"We have roughly 83,000 bots available and want to rule the world!!"

God damn it kids, cut down on your ego.
*wants to buy minecraft soon*

Andy Chalk:
You guys aren't fans. You're just a bunch of dicks.

Amen!

OT: What needs to be said has been quoted. This is the worst way to say "Go update your game." By causing him to rush and try and bring back up his website which may take a few hours. I think this goes into the new Troll Science meme perfectly.

Calumon: Why are silly people silly?

"We're DDoS-ing your servers, blah blah blah... no more sales for you, blah blah blah, 'Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them'."

Good God I've never seen such an unwarranted entitlement complex, not even from some of Valve's unpleasable fanbase. Notch is one man, and if I remember correctly he was purposely not updating the game until the 31st for his "Halloween" update anyway.

If these people think that they're standing on some kind of moral high ground than they're more diluted than I thought.

Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them.

Err, what? The "promised" update isn't due out yet, and if you crash his server he can't release it. This sounds more like minecraft haters than entitled dicks.

Players of Minecraft, we shall not give in to this Terrorists demands, for if we do it will never end.

Edit: Also if what the guys says is true, then he is using a bot net to attack, which for having one can earn 25+ years in a federal prison.

*sigh* no mention of my thread that reported this first then... thanks for the complement Escapist...

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Players of Minecraft, we shall not give in to this Terrorists demands, for if we do it will never end.

We do not negotiate with terrorists.

The have to lose interest at some point, right?

wait so now I can't buy minecraft for a while....
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
seriously crashing him just because he isn't updating fast enough just like andy chalk said

Andy Chalk:

EDIT: I think Notch should play a little hard ball with these guys

qbanknight:

Pretty much.

/v/ is unhealthily obsessed with free shit.

Do they understand that they dont rule anything? If they want the update so bad then STFU, sit the f*ck back and wait. With this they are only slowing him down and he might even cancel the haloween update. If I was him I'd shut it down till I get an apology or something from the dudes who did it. And I'd make sure that no one would be able to play the game singleplayer or otherwise.

I call bullocks on all this, it's probably just a bunch of lowlifes trying to get some 15 mins of pointless internet reputation out of someone else's attack.

Andy Chalk:

Couldnt agree with this statement more.

Lets hope it ends soon.

Andy Chalk:

Aw yeah, tell it how it is Andy!
Anyway, this is really stupid isn't Minecraft run by, like, one guy? How could these fans (read as: dicks) expect the game to be updated constantly?
You know, the really is nothing more to say but this;

Andy Chalk:

He has an update coming out... October 31st. He's been busy with his business and everything. This takes the stupid "I WANT MORE GIMME GIMME GUH GUH" mentality of a large proportion of gamers too far... This is like a group of people breaking a store's windows because the free upgrade to their car is scheduled to come out a week and a half later, but they want it NAOOOOO.

You stupid trolls. He's sold you a great game which he's updating, and your'll receive future updates of, for cheap.

In return, you DDOS him? At least hack him properly, you lazy pricks.

Since all Notch seems to do is live and breathe Minecraft, I think he'd be perfectly within his rights to say to them, "Fuck you!", take his cash, and not do anything until they come crawling on their knees to him.

Andy Chalk:
You're just a bunch of dicks.

I thought of posting this just before I read it, so I'll say this

It is not your game

You are not the developer

The developer will do it when he's ready, because he's human and has constraints

...yea, you're dicks (Sorry Andy)

EDIT: I think he shouldn't update it at all for a long time because of this. A lot of stuff is functional right now, it's easily worth the €9.95 (or 8.97). Also, an update was due on Halloween, which we haven't reached yet. That's in over a week. Dicks.

IRaithI:
Do they understand that they dont rule anything? If they want the update so bad then STFU, sit the f*ck back and wait. With this they are only slowing him down and he might even cancel the haloween update. If I was him I'd shut it down till I get an apology or something from the dudes who did it. And I'd make sure that no one would be able to play the game singleplayer or otherwise.

I say, go for it. If it makes the attack stop and the people responsible understand that they are not entitled to anything, it would be worth it.

Shut it all down and read a nice book.

Pity, first game I've found in a long time I really enjoyed and someone went and ruined it. First it was the griefers in game, and now this.

What're the odds they're one and the same?

wow, you must be a real baby to attack Minecraft just because you didn't get the updates as soon as you wanted.

They do realise that the updates may take even longer now.

These guys must be really pathetic.

Notch should respond by 'updating' the game with hundreds of player seeking creepers.

*Sign* Anonymous is really amazing, sometimes it hunts down animal cruelty perps, exposes a cult or protests racism. Then it picks on a small indie developer and causes misery to thousands because it has a hissy fit. Hopefully there are real fans in the hacker community who'll be able to trace the IRL details of these wankers so they can face there eternity of goatsection.

How fucking ungrateful. Not only to you attack an indie developers work, but also ruin it for everyone else.

We don't like the way you are handling YOUR OWN GAME!! We DEMAND that you do it the way WE want! To help you achieve that goal we are going to cripple your servers!! Because nothing helps speed up the development process like bringing down part of what you need to do that development!!

Idiots.

Hey guys heres a brilliant idea. Now I want you to open up your mind real wide for this one 'cause I'm about to totally freak you out. Ready for this?

If you don't like the game, don't play it.

I know I know...its a completely new idea that you may have never seen/heard of before. But really, it works.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here