BlizzCon 2010: Billions of Class Builds Await in Diablo III

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BlizzCon 2010: Billions of Class Builds Await in Diablo III

If you're worried that your characters in Diablo III won't be very customizable, worry no more: Every class has almost a hundred billion different possible builds.

Developing a sequel to an intensely beloved game like Diablo II is one tall order. Hardcore fans of the first two Diablo games will be watching the game like hawks, ready to complain about anything - from the game's color palette on down. One thing they probably won't be able to complain about, however, is a lack of complexity.

The Escapist spoke with Blizzard's Alex Mayberry, senior producer on Diablo III, prior to tomorrow's ceremonies that kick off BlizzCon 2010. With the new overhauled skill system and the different runes that influence them, said Mayberry, one of the team members had done the math to work out how many possible build combinations there were for every class in the game.

The answer he came away with was a staggering 97 billion potential combinations. That's before taking into account any equipment, weaponry, or attribute-boosting gems, too - which will almost certainly boost that number to hard-to-believe heights.

Of course, given the nature of Diablo, only some of those builds will end up being very feasible in the long run. On the other hand, there will always be players who want to try something bizarre and unique just because they can - and they'll have billions of options to choose from.

We'll learn more about the new skill and rune system tomorrow once BlizzCon 2010 begins in earnest.

The first person that says "over 9000" is getting mentally stabbed in the face.

...and I have nothing else to say but awesome.

To be fair, that probably counts "20 points in skill A and 19 points in skill B" as a separate build from "19 points in skill A and 20 points in skill B".

I agree that this seems like a massive exaggeration, but sounds good. I've already tried out virtually every build in Diablo 2 except for melee sorceress because that's just too silly.

It's a shame only about 5 of them will be utilized by the players.
Oh well.
As for ME:
BARBARIAN JUMPING BUILD, HERE I COME!

Thief with low dexterity but excellent plant-smelling skills, here i come!

UltimatheChosen:
To be fair, that probably counts "20 points in skill A and 19 points in skill B" as a separate build from "19 points in skill A and 20 points in skill B".

Exactly. Big numbers aren't that impressive once you analyze what they actually mean.

ImprovizoR:

UltimatheChosen:

Exactly. Big numbers aren't that impressive once you analyze what they actually mean.

I can understand that if the number was something like 300,000. This is 97,000,000,000,000.

Jesus Murphy that's a lot of choice.

Yeah Diablo II had millions of combinations but only about less than 10 were actually effective when you think about each class.

Same applies to World of Warcraft, sure you could have millions of combinations of a single class but chances are 99% aren't going to be effective.

97 billion builds, 6 that actually work

UltimatheChosen:

The Austin:
It's a shame only about 5 of them will be utilized by the players.
Oh well.
As for ME:

Remember Borderlands boasting millions upon millions of weapons? Remember what that translated into when playing the game? "Crap, crap, sell it, crap, want this for your hunter? crap, looks neat but crap, crap, okay I can use this, crap, crap, crap..."

I bet Diablo 2 had a similar amount. This is a pointless statistic/number.

I think this is ridiculous hype. Out of all those possibilities we're probably going to see at most two or three viable builds for each character type.

Blizzard, like many other companies, seems to be taking an attitude that simplicity is good. Even in a game as relatively simple and streamlined as WoW they just slimmed down the talent trees and such.

By all accounts "Diablo III" is meant to be approchable, so in the end I doubt it's going to have all that much depth to it in the final equasion. Ridiculous numbers of possible combos involving garbage combinations of abillities doesn't impress me.

I actually suspect Diablo III min/maxing will be down to a science even faster than for most other similar games due to simplification.

If they even had 100 equally viable, competitive builds that would blow the brains of your average mainstream player.

Here come the "Blizzard sux" crowd. *sigh*

Blizzcon starts tomorrow??? Must not get hopes up for warcraft 4...

OT: ...ITS OVER 9000!

I can only assume this means that stat point allocation is coming back. Because I think it would be hard to get that many combinations from skills alone. Unless there is something I don't know.

Fr]anc[is:
Blizzcon starts tomorrow??? Must not get hopes up for warcraft 4...

OT: ...ITS OVER 9000!

WanderingFool:

*Mentally stabs in the face*

I think that, with skill runes, there really are lots of different build options/variations. Also, in Diablo 2, there were spells that were basically upgrades of one-another, for instance fire bolt -> fireball, or ice bolt -> ice blast -> glacial spike. I don't think these are in Diablo III.

Looking forward to playing every class, really. Monk looks most fun, but the rest look great too. I'd love to play a leaping, smashing, hammer-wielding bearded Thorbarian.

97 billion? That's quite a staggering amount, but how many will actually be worthwhile? Probably 10 per class.

Build Available: Billions.
Builds that actually work: 10.

97 billion permutations doesn't mean there will be 97 billion viable builds.

I am, however, looking forward to the game.

Wondering if they calculated all possible builds for every level or just the last one.

It would be nice if they stopped shouting out essentially meaningless numbers. A screenshot of a skill tree would tell us so much more.

There were at least 40 viable PvM Classes for Diablo 2.

matrix3509:

I really don't get that mentality, Blizzard are the only company left on my roster of 'games I buy from' that have yet to disappoint me with what they give out.

Really Really strange, and they're such nice people when you meet them, they really love their job. :S

Whoever wrote this article / Blizzard doesn't realize the difference between combinations and permutations.

matrix3509:

It's actually faster than the fan crowd to be honest. They're lurking in the dark just to strike swiftly with each new Blizzards news / article!

a billion? And only 7 that actually fucking work.

Lets put "A" point in everything (build #51320). Lets put no points in anything (build #4). I want some realistic statistics, not every damn thing they can count thrown in together.

Never mind the quality, feel the width!

"A still more glorious dawn awaits: not a sunrise, but a Diablo rise, a morning filled with four hundred billion builds, the dawning of the custom specs."

--Deckard Carl

And a only 2 of those builds will be effective and be abused.

Is that like saying there are 97 billion words in the English Language, because you can put any combination of however-many letters together and make a "word"?

"whj ojer khwehi kihriehr z hiodh wahjkhjkhjk asasddd dd asdfasdfg t"

What? If combinations of letters = words, then there are 97 billion different character builds in Diablo III, right?

Well if you want to calculate permutaions generally speaking you use factorials, and 14!=87,178,291,200 - so what, they have 14 different options in character creation? Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Diablo 3, but that doen't sound like too many. Even taking long scale (rather than short scale) billions into account, that's only 16 options. Then again, I suppose if that's 14 (or 16) options for each class then that looks a bit more like it.

Incidentally, any word on likely system specs yet?

i hope one of the classes is Hippie

BlizzCon is starting? We'll get new information on Diablo? Hell yeah!

Eric the Orange:
I can only assume this means that stat point allocation is coming back. Because I think it would be hard to get that many combinations from skills alone. Unless there is something I don't know.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. It would be an absolute shame if they completely swiped stat allocation under the rug, I mean they could atleast give you a 'hardcore' tick option when you create your player that allows you to do it yourself.

All the possible builds would be much more interesting.

The Austin:

Melee Wizard here I come! If stat allocation is still possible, that is.

WanderingFool:

Just for the record, everytime someone says that it brightens up my day. =[

Sure, billions of class builds, but ultimately they'll mean very little or have several 'uber builds' within a day imo. Not that I'm at all worried about that since I don't play competetively, but with my siblings. So still very much excited and glad to hear this. =]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here