BlizzCon 2010: Blizzard Announces Final Diablo 3 Class

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BlizzCon 2010: Blizzard Announces Final Diablo 3 Class

Blizzard has unveiled the fifth member of the Diablo 3 quintet - the Demon Hunter.

As part of the keynote speech at this year's BlizzCon, Blizzard's Chris Metzen has announced the fifth and final class Diablo 3. Joining the Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Monk and Wizard is the Demon Hunter, a rogue-like character armed with a crossbow, bombs, and lots and lots of arrows.

Also announced are PVP battle arenas for both solo and team play, which will give players the opportunity to bust out some of their meanest attacks and get medieval on their fellow adventurers.

In a panel following the keynote, Blizzard elaborated on the design of the Demon Hunter. The character was designed from the ground up as a Ranger-type class - a physically attractive young woman (or man) who is out for revenge on the demons that threaten the world of Sanctuary. She is the "obsessed hero," whose quest for vengeance leads her to dabble in powers she may not be able to control.

To that end, she has gadgets beyond her dual crossbows, such as bombs, traps and fire arrows, and shadow-magic powers. The bola shot combines her gadgeteering and ranged abilities, shooting an explosive wrap at an enemy which holds them in place before detonating. Her acrobatic Vault allows her to move around the battlefield similarly to the Barbarian's Leap.

She is able to drop spike traps on the ground and lure her enemies over them - a character who can flourish with preparation. So she's kind of like Batman, then.

Finally! It took them long enough. Meh, I can't stay mad at them.

I don't really think anyone is gonna be surprised that the 5th class is an Amazon variant. Good to see it officially announced though.

So basically the amazon?

Waah! The intro video is awesome!! Don't forget the PvP arenas!

DominicxD:
So basically the amazon?

Looks like a mix of amazon and assassin - duel wielding crossbow too :P

pretty cool

woohoo, finally! Now let's get this game released, shall we?

By the way, a trailer and info are available on the diablo 3 website: http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/

Anyway I'm disappointed. She just looks so.. meh. So utterly bland. It looks like Sylvanas Windrunner or Tyrande Wisperwind from WoW... Actually, this is the first thing that comes into my mind when I put "Blizzard" and "female hero who can kick ass without magic" together in the same senteance.

Oh well, everything except this: so far so good.

poiumty:

And here I was thinking the Monk's trailer was cheesy.

Demon hunter's a stupid name but apart from that it sounds good. For some reasons I hate using crossbows in games, I always choose bow and arrows, but maybe that's just me.

Logan Westbrook:
So she's kind of like Batman, then.

Priceless man.

Ooooooooooh ... I like, even if I was hoping to see my Paladin back, this class just looks too damn cool for me to start raging at Diablo 3.

Orthon:

Anyway I'm disappointed. She just looks so.. meh. So utterly bland. It looks like Sylvanas Windrunner or Tyrande Wisperwind from WoW... Actually, this is the first thing that comes into my mind when I put "Blizzard" and "female hero who can kick ass without magic" together in the same senteance.

Yeah, just checked out the trailer. I'm kinda dissapointed. I think she sort of breaks the Diablo mold. I don't know why but this "I'm so baddass, watch me do these crazy kung fu flips" just turns me off, especially in a setting like Diablo. Anayway, all the other classes kick ass. 4/5...not too bad Blizzard.

Now all I have to do is wait for an expansion with a primary shapeshifter and zoo keeper.

Pff, Batman could have totally taken down Diablo and co. He just needed some Prep time and he would have Pwned them.
It's nice to see blizzard realizes this (but is also aware of Trademarks) and has implemented a character suitably.

It's unfortunate there's no real "defender" class like the pally was, but I'm glad the rogue-zon-sin fans got their archer. :-)

Hopefully we'll get a paladin-ish class in the expansion. (Maybe "Knight?" Templar?)

I think my first will be a monk.

That is one badass archer. I'm now thinking of going Demon Hunter instead of Wizard. The combination of Zon/Asn skills displayed there was really enticing. x.x

poiumty:

pretty cool

I had a feeling Blizz was going to pull a surprise at BlizzCon. (Like they do)
That is awesome.
Witch Doctor is my ideal still, though.

Damn, I was hoping for the Druid or Necromancer to make a return.

Bah PVP....You would think Blizzard would have leaned by now...I'll use caps and bold in case they are listening.

"YOU CANNOT BALANCE BOTH PVE AND PVP SIMULTANEOUSLY"

Stop shoehorning PVP into every game to satisfy the 2% of the playerbase that enjoys it.

Basically, because of this, I want from not caring about D3 to preordering it.
It doesn't hurt that she's hot...

Dang, I was planning on being the monk... but the opportunity to be an awesome mix of Van Helsing and Batman is too good to pass up.

Oh dear. Considering how much of a backlash the Witch Doctor received, this is going to be even worse.

Anyway, I personally find the class to be preety cool. I just wish they would lose the heels....seriously, it must be really impractical to run around in those.

Speaking of the Demon Hunter, I wonder how the male variant will end up looking.

Sorry but...the demon hunter easily has to be one of the dumbest classes I've ever heard of in this game.

Diablo is a demon, diablo's minions are demons. The game diablo is an action RPG about fighting demons. ALL characters are demon hunters, the whole game is about hunting down one nasty demon that just won't die. A Demon Hunter class is...extremely redundant, to the point it doesn't really make sense with the game. It'd be like Dragon Strike (yes, the cheesiest of cheesy board games with a ridiculous "Roll the Die!" tutorial video) having a character called "The Dragon Striker."

Tom Phoenix:
Oh dear. Considering how much of a backlash the Witch Doctor received, this is going to be even worse.

Anyway, I personally find the class to be preety cool. I just wish they would lose the heels....seriously, it must be really impractical to run around in those.

Speaking of the Demon Hunter, I wonder how the male variant will end up looking.

Yeah? The Witch Doctor had a huge backlash? I thought that was an excellently realised class.

I can understand why people'd be mad because it wasn't a Necromancer or Druid, but I don't see why it would get hate apart from that. The only thing I don't like about them is the summoning though. Undead dogs? I don't really get it. 'Necromancer= summon fallen enemies' and 'druid= wild pets' is a much stronger concept than the 'Witch Doctor= undead hounds'. I'd have preferred if they tried a different route like maybe controlling enemies as pets through voodoo or something else.

The demon hunter just strikes as bland in terms of visual design. I don't mind repeating archetypes and doing a simple archer character, but a demon with red eyes in shiny armor with double crossbows? Ehhrghhg. What's the culture behind that? Are there tribes with tons of demon eyed knights? I don't know I don't really dig it.

I also dislike it when you put pre-dominant weapons inside classes. Everyone should get to chose what weapons they want with each and every class. Maybe the demon hunter has different weapons builds available (probably) but the whole double crossbows seems to much like a trademark weapon to me. Anyway, can't wait to see more videos on this.

So... Batmans gadgets, and Sylvanas's drive for vengeance, use of magic, agility, glowing eyes, and breasts...

fun!

And personally I saw no issues with Witch Doctor...
Until they removed the ability to customize their dog minions and such with secondary effects through spell combinations, claiming it was too complex for us. Guess they are used to thinking the average audience has the intellect of a toddler now thanks to World of Warcraft...

How do you reload dual crossbows?

Rusty Bucket:
How do you reload dual crossbows?

with magic of curse...

I like the concept a lot more than the final product.

They keep talking about wanting to make the class seem 'dark'. Why? Seems silly to me. They also wanted to make it more Gothic. I really liked the middle eastern flair that D3 showed so far. D2 already mostly departed from the Gothic athmosphere of D1, the Demon hunter seems a little out of place now I think.

Also I they should have gone the full way with the demon concept. Half-demon? Lame. A demon fighting among men would be hard to swallow but make the whole 'mysterious' aspect a lot more intriguing. Kind of like the assassin in ME2, I think Bioware nailed it with the 'mysterious, almost religious contract killer' and that's coming from someone who doesn't think too highly of ME2.

Hope male version looks cool. Always loved the gothic and dark feel of diablo, and very happy to see they haven't abandoned it.

Brotherofwill:

Tom Phoenix:

Yeah? The Witch Doctor had a huge backlash? I thought that was an excellently realised class.

Generally, anything that reminds some Diablo fans of World of WarCraft is certain to fall under scrunity. Considering how the Demon Hunter class is prominently featured in WoW, I fully expect an enormous backlash over this (although it has been suprisingly quiet so far...).

Soooo... Blizzard finally caved and got rid of the rainbows? I am sad...

Wow... so they're just riffing on old ideas again because they lack the talent to come up with something unique and original yet again?

Blizzard; Making the same shit over and over again since they sold out in 2004.

Tom Phoenix:

Brotherofwill:

Tom Phoenix:

Generally, anything that reminds some Diablo fans of World of WarCraft is certain to fall under scrunity. Considering how the Demon Hunter class is prominently featured in WoW, I fully expect an enormous backlash over this (although it has been suprisingly quiet so far...).

Probably because anyone who was a true Diablo fan has already become so disenfranchised with Blizzard's lack of originality they left for Torchlight long ago.

Wandrecanada:

Tom Phoenix:

Brotherofwill:

Tom Phoenix:

Probably because anyone who was a true Diablo fan has already become so disenfranchised with Blizzard's lack of originality they left for Torchlight long ago.

Right, beacuse Torchlight is very original....

Plinglebob:
Damn, I was hoping for the Druid or Necromancer to make a return.

They did, kind of; they were merged into the WD.

Loop Stricken:
Basically, because of this, I want from not caring about D3 to preordering it.
It doesn't hurt that she's hot...

All classes in D3 can be male or female. My hunter will Van Helsing ripoff.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here